Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: RIP Ric Ocasek - The Cars
Date: September 17, 2019 19:34

Javadave
Ric and Keith Richards were about the same age. Keith had already been in the limelight for 16 years when The Cars first album was released in 1978.

Deborah Harry was a member of The Wind In The Willows, who released an album on Capitol Records in 1968, so she at least had some prior experience with the more corporate side of the music business before her later success with Blondie.

Gerald Casale of Devo was 30 when their debut LP "Q: Are We Not Men A: We Are Devo" was released in 1978 (the same year as The Cars), and the rest of his bandmates were all in their late 20s.

The drummer for Spirit, Ed Cassidy, was much older than his peers.

The Cars were a favorite of mine. I was 13 when the first album came out. That album and the follow-up "Candy-O" were a big part of the soundtrack to my youth. Yesterday, I listened to their 2011 comeback album, "Move Like This", and marveled at how fresh it sounded. They absolutely nailed it. Arguably their 3rd best album, after those first two.

While saddened to hear of Ric's passing, it was nice to hear that he and Paulina had remained amicable after their romantic relationship had fizzled. He had family and loved ones checking in on him up until the end. About all you can ask for.

RIP Ric

ric and ben orr were in a band called milkwood prior to the cars and released an album in like 1973

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 17, 2019 20:01

steffiestones
How can a Stones fan the like Cars ??
The Stones were Rebellion between 68 and 73
The Stooges,The Faces, The New York Dolls, Mc 5 were the Real Deal!
The 80"s sounded very plastic to me..Mainstream sucks

Not sure what the point is to post two disparaging posts on as many pages of an RIP thread. Didn't like? Fine. But why go out of your way to insult a man or those that liked him or his music on the day of his passing?
Each to his/her own, but... confused smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 17, 2019 20:05

steffiestones
The Cars' first two albums came out in the 1970s.

Just shut up already. You're being beyond obnoxious.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 17, 2019 20:18

I love both The Stones and The Cars. Hell, I even like the Beatles.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: September 17, 2019 20:24

good tunes overall...

I was surprised to find out he was 75.

I thought like 60 or so.

RIP, man.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 17, 2019 20:27

steffiestones

For this Stones fan, my musical tastes run the gamut. I love great music of any genre. In my collection you'll find jazz, electronica, ambient, rock, trip-hop, and many others.

Some of it, I suppose, is "rebellious". Some of it is not. I don't care, as long as it moves me. My tastes in music are varied as my taste in food. I like a juicy hamburger at a roadside diner one day and lobster with champagne at a French restaurant another.

Drew

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 17, 2019 21:24

steffiestones

Nirvana, a band that destroyed the old “mainstream” were influenced by and covered Cars tunes.
I’m not the biggest Cars fan, but they had some great songs, if you listened to any live stuff from the 70s they were punky enough.

I’m a Stones Fan, a huge MC5 fan and love the stooges and the Dolls also. But I’m afraid yer talking out of your ass here. Music is for everyone. You might not have liked the cars and started a band the opposite of them.

Can’t say I’ve heard your band though.

Songs maketh the band and the Cars have some great ones.

[m.youtube.com] Nirvana Best friends girl

[m.youtube.com]. Just what I needed love

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-17 21:33 by Paddy.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 17, 2019 21:28

I always liked The Cars and Ric Ocasek, left some great music and will be missed.

A nice tribute last night by Stephen Colbert: [m.youtube.com]

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 17, 2019 21:47

steffiestones

I loved the Cars first hit, "Just What I Needed, " when I first heard it being played on FM radio in 1978 among some New Wave and punk singles. It fit in with those records. Their later records were more in the '80s pop style, but the Stones were going in a different direction by then, as well.

The Cars paid their dues and stayed in bands for years before getting hits. Not giving up after years of rejection is something to be respected.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 17, 2019 21:48

I never owned any of The Cars' albums, but I very much remember watching their videos in the 80's. "You Might Think" in particular is an all-timer. Some very catchy hooks in both the 70's and the 80's, though I don't remember if I heard their comeback stuff (around 2010-11?).

I did own the debut album from Weezer (though it's since been sold along many hundreds of CDs in my effort to reduce) and you can certainly hear Ric's mark on their work.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 17, 2019 23:11

Best Friend's Girl …. and of course Bye Bye Love kicks ass. No issues with the Cars. RIP Mr. Ocasek.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2019 23:45

Elmo Lewis
I love both The Stones and The Cars. Hell, I even like the Beatles.

smileys with beer

RIP Ric

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 17, 2019 23:49

Unlike many punk and/or new wave bands of the time, they had a lead guitar player who could actually play sizzling hot solos.
Elliot Easton knew his stuff, yet played with a minimalism that fit in perfectly with the songs - short, sweet, and to the point - he's one of the reasons I loved the Cars.

Elliot Easton

"His guitar solos are an integral part of the band's hit singles. He studied music at the Berklee College of Music.
He is a left-handed guitarist.... Slash has cited Easton as one of his musical influences"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-17 23:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 18, 2019 02:19

steffiestones

I can dig this post. Anyone who was around in '78, having lived through the birth of the Pistols, the Clash, Elvis Costello, the Slits, Television, Richard Hell, Wire, Gang of Four, et al, the Cars were seen by at least a segment of the cognoscenti as pretty polished and poppy and therefore less interesting and edgy. (Although almost everyone privately would admit their insanely catchy tunes were kinda addicting.)

Also since steffiestones took some grief about daring to post a negative review of someone's music on the day his death was announced ... i say: who cares? It's not like any of us knew Mr Ocasek and so could have been personally effected by his death. We could all have mourned his passing or not, depending on whether we would miss the idea of him still striding the earth ... i suppose if he had a family member who was lurking here that might not be a cool thing to read on the day he died ... but other than that, why not feel free to say whatever you want about someone on the occasion of his passing? After all, the RIP's don't mean anything to the dead -- now that they've shaken off this mortal coil, they've got other fish to fry! -- they are only for us. Our wishing for someone to rest in peace is not going to make it any more or less likely that that person indeed rests in peace. In the awesome, terrifying, liberating, annihilating clusterfuck that is death, a couple of naysayers, like a couple of RIPers, don't really amount to a hill of beans IMHO.

And, regarding the "rebellion" timeline: I woulda pegged the Stones brief rebellious period as 64-66, although even that was mostly Droogie hype; there definitely wasn't anything remotely rebellious about "Angie"! Finally, steffiestones, if you really think "mainstream sucks," have you listened to Mick Jagger turn "Midnight Rambler" into a do-you-know-how-to-party audience singalong recently?

Posted by: getdown ()
Date: September 18, 2019 02:22

A little story of my love for The Cars...so in 1978 12 years old listening to KFRC and Dr. Don Rose in the SF Bay Area and we were caller 10 to win any lp we wanted...mind block should have asked for Exile but said send us the new Cars lp..it arrived and loved it so much gave it as a present to all my buddies that year...years later they still remember that present...so thank you Ric and Ben and all the guys in The Cars for a lasting childhood memory!!!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 18, 2019 02:46

I played "Dangerous Type, You're All I Got Tonight" endlessly on some days. Their uptempo sing-a-long hits fit right in during that period. I'm disappointed I never got to see them live. But I love the legacy they left us. RIP Ric.

Some excerpts from an NPR interview:

He once told NPR's Guy Raz why he was The Car's most identifiable frontman. "That's 'cause I look like Ichabod Crane."

Ocasek was born in Baltimore. When he was a teenager, his family moved to Cleveland, where his father was a computer analyst for NASA. It was a tough transition. He told Interview Magazine he got punched in the face the very first day of school. He said people stared at him a lot because he was so tall and skinny and he'd dyed the front of his hair blond. Even so, he told NPR he wasn't really into being in the spotlight.

"I'm not into the - that much into being the front guy. I was the songwriter, really, and the person who put the songs together and maybe a bit of a director. But being an entertainer was never my, you know, main thing."

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 18, 2019 02:59

Nice to see the lowest common denominator winning again on IORR. That's the lovely thing about internet freedom, you need only be bright enough to type.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2019 03:42

"How can a Stones fan the like Cars "??

Some of us have a broader palette, and don't feel the need to prove our "rebelliousness" by listing our "rebellious" heroes.
But if I were to make some sort of a list, here's what was on my playlist in '78/'79 while in High School, and this is only a partial list.

Stones, Beatles, The Clash, Pink Floyd, X, Howlin' Wolf', Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Bob Marley, Merle Haggard, Dead Kennedys, Hendrix, Germs, Neil Young, Jackson 5, Devo, Jethro Tull, Elvis, The Doors, The Jam, Allman Bros., Chuck Berry, The Cramps, Johnny Cash, Ramones, The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Toots and the Maytalls, George Jones, Deep Purple, Glen Campbell, The Dillards, Dylan, Culture, Kool and the Gang...and yes, even The Cars.

I basically rebelled against fitting into a limited niche, and the wider variety of music I listened to, the more life seemed better. As they say, variety is the spice, and I still listen to all of the above to this day.
I'd feel a bit shortchanged if I limited myself to a particular "rebelliouss" music, and would feel even more foolish if I were to make that stand today, but some people's vision is narrower than others I guess.

And that's how a Stones fan can like The Cars.

EDIT: Should have added Tony Bennett, Beethoven, and Dianna Ross to my list....it's all about the variety.thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-18 03:56 by Hairball.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2019 05:18

Rocky Dijon
Nice to see the lowest common denominator winning again on IORR. That's the lovely thing about internet freedom, you need only be bright enough to type.

I don't know if they're winning, but they're making a valiant attempt at it I will give them that.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 18, 2019 05:20

Some of us are salvageable.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 18, 2019 05:51

i remember (sorta) the first record being a good one to how you say, torch up to. that segue from "moving in stereo" into "all mixed up" was really good.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: September 18, 2019 06:02

As for this "[the Stones were] Rebellion" thing posted above, I rebel against music fans who, in their head, never graduated from high school. My T-shirt is better than your T-shirt, etc.

I would also take issue with another poster trying to rationalize around their complete lack of human compassion with something like: "RIP's don't mean anything to the dead -- now that they've shaken off this mortal coil, they've got other fish to fry! -- they are only for us."

Myself, never bought a Cars record, but never changed the station when they came on the radio. Even after many years of no longer listening to the radio, I can instantly recall the catchy hooks of a song like Since You're Gone.

Like them or not, no one else sounded like the Cars, and you always knew Ric Ocasek's voice when you heard it. One of a kind.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 18, 2019 09:39

Your right about Rambler!

I dont know why some songs turn in years later to sing alongs

I cant even understand why people prefer'Miss you' above JJflash

Sorry about Dead people

but many nice guys make shitty music- just look at Rod when he went solo,many of us prefer 'Do you think Im sexy' above ' Stay with me '

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: September 18, 2019 11:47

Thank you for posting the Colbert link, STG. Very nice tribute.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 18, 2019 20:24

I'm late on this one, but I've missed the news confused smiley
R.I.P indeed.

I recall when I was 17 the first time I've seen the sleeves of the very first records, and I also recall my thoughts , with such a sleeve the record couldn't be bad...and it wasn't !

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-18 21:39 by Honestman.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:08

You say o-CAY-sik
I say o-CAH-sik

Which is correct?

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: September 19, 2019 01:42

schillid
You say o-CAY-sik
I say o-CAH-sik

Which is correct?

The former.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 19, 2019 05:43

colonial
Love The Cars music theres one thing I've always been curious about is "the cool guitar string squeak" on Good Times Roll, Just What I Wanted..and a few others was that deliberately done?

The Cars trademark string squeak cool a smoking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 19, 2019 11:50

RIP
Always found him to be pretty "peculiar". Some great lasting songs and until I listened more closely I must admit I wasn't aware of how stellar the lead guitar player was/is.

Apparently there was a bit of a a WW3 going on in the band too since RO declared in an interview that "there was a cold war between Ben and me for 23 years, I'm not sure why". Might have been a bit of a "joke" considering Ben died in 2000!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 19, 2019 12:43

GAFF
schillid
You say o-CAY-sik
I say o-CAH-sik

Which is correct?

The former.

Sounds like a name of czech origin . My guess is "o-CAH-check".

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home