Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mr. Jimmy says "Dead"
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 14, 2005 22:10

waht are your thoughts on the meaning of this?

I know, at least according to James Phelge, that he is Mr. Jimmy and during the cold winter in Edith Grove he and Mick were isck and went to get some medicine and later were immrtalized in this verse. however, when Mr. Jimmy says one word back to Mick and that was "dead." what does he mean. is he just so sick, he can't muster any response to sick singing his song to him? Does it carry some deep meaning? Does Mr. Jimmy never "get what he wants or needs" so he is basically dead?

Anyway i just saw the Rocks off lrycs thread and haveing wondered about this one i thoguth i'd ask

Re: Mr. Jimmy says "Dead"
Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: October 14, 2005 22:17

Wan't the lyrics like this:

"And I song my song to Mr. Jimmy and he said one word to me and that was dead"
Think, if my remembrance is right that Mick talks about singing a song to Jimmy Miller and JM think that the song is dead boring!

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 14, 2005 22:32

I thought it was "he said one word to me and that was that"

though, I'm an idiot and tend to get all sorts of things like this wrong.....

Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: October 14, 2005 22:43

I always thought, it's Jimi Hendrix who said "dead" ...

Date: October 14, 2005 22:45

He said one word to me and that was "dead."

I thought that was understood by all. maybe my question is too nebulous.

I had never heard the Jimmy Miller reference before.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 14, 2005 22:53

here's the last discussion of it:
[iorr.org]

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: October 14, 2005 23:53

i just read the other thread and there is some intertesting stuff there. I got my James Phelge stuff from his book as well, and it seemed to make sense. Actually i want doubting it was him, but was more intertested in what people thought the response DEAD referred to.

Reagrdless, i think these threads are much more intertesting than set list complaints!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 15, 2005 00:05

sure thing, HalfNanker, sure thing.
i just referred to that previous thread because of the theory about Jimmy Miller saying "dead" - which sounds a bit contrived to me, but what do i know.
i guess i regard that line as one of those that just sounds good without needing to mean anything too particular.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 16, 2005 17:04

I remember an interview with Jager (Rolling Stones, 1995?) in which he says that the standard phrase of Jimmy Miller to say it's o.k. was "dead" as in "dead on". The Stones would play parts for him, or when recording something they would ask him if it sounded good, and if it did he would say "dead".

Mathijs

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 16, 2005 17:19

I've always bought in to the Jimmy Miller story. Phelge, maybe, but the timing makes sense for Mr. Jimmy being Jimmy Miller.

I DON'T belive the story that the guy is trying to sell about running into Mick in a Chelsea drugstore in 1964 and supposedly uttered to Mick, who was upset that they were out of cherry soda, that "you cant always get what you want". I just don't see an insignificant event in 1964 inspiring a song 4 or 5 years later!

Ross

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1956
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home