Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why no small venues this time around?
Posted by: reed johnson ()
Date: October 13, 2005 19:30

Any explanation for the absence of small club/venue gigs on this tour?

Re: Why no small venues this time around?
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 13, 2005 19:36

not profitable enough?

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 13, 2005 19:54

They did that last time, and they always change from one tour to the other. Also it was rather few club shows all in all, but I must say - THE BEST ONES EVER!!!

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 13, 2005 20:45

Because there is not enough money in it and the Stones would NEVER think about doing it just for the fans. Last tour is was part of the tour slogan, one city three different venues.

"and they always change from one tour to the other"

Hope you are just talking about the kind of venues they do because they don't change a thing from tour to tour in regards of song selection or the way the show is set up in general. The Licks tour showed us briefly the things they can do but they'd rather play it safe and do YGMR every show. Never thought I'd be so disappointed in a band I have followed for my whole life.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 13, 2005 20:57

Judging from a picture from March 4, 1977, from Toronto`s El Mocambo, that must have been quite a small venue. Perhaps The Stones were not so hot then...

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 13, 2005 21:00

noughties Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Judging from a picture from March 4, 1977, from
> Toronto`s El Mocambo, that must have been quite a
> small venue. Perhaps The Stones were not so hot
> then...

it is very small....holds about 300 people....i was there in 2000 before it closed...theres a downstairs stage and an upstairs stage (about 2 ft high) where the stones played...those lucky bastards who saw em there

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: October 13, 2005 23:33

There will be small venues later on.....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 13, 2005 23:39

Michael Cohl said it at the press conference May 10. They will play to more people. More shows for more people and more cities. Which makes fewer shows in clubs. But they will probably happen. As they flag out of the US in March. NYC may be RCMH or something. But I am not the one to sign it. I just hear the birds sing.

Bjornulf

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 13, 2005 23:45

bv Wrote:
> Michael Cohl said it at the press conference May
> 10. They will play to more people. More shows for
> more people and more cities. Which makes fewer
> shows in clubs.
>

Was I hearing things or didn't Cohl specifically say that they would being playing theaters and he actually said the price of the tickets for theater shows? This is the sole reason I bought a Stones fan club membership but it looks like I fell for the scam. Find a way to defend the Stones on that...
I hope they prove me wrong but what a shitty thing to do to your fans.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: October 14, 2005 00:03

What's RCMH?

Anything rumoured for LA?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 14, 2005 01:12

J
>
>
> Was I hearing things or didn't Cohl specifically
> say that they would being playing theaters and he
> actually said the price of the tickets for theater
> shows?

You heard right. The conditions of the fan club membership also specifically indicates the ticket limits for pre-sales for theatre shows

This is the sole reason I bought a Stones
> fan club membership

as did several others

but it looks like I fell for
> the scam. Find a way to defend the Stones on
> that...
> I hope they prove me wrong but what a shitty thing
> to do to your fans.

yup

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:21

J-J-Flash Wrote:
> Because there is not enough money in it and the
> Stones would NEVER think about doing it just for
> the fans. Last tour is was part of the tour
> slogan, one city three different venues.
>
> "and they always change from one tour to the
> other"
>
> Hope you are just talking about the kind of venues
> they do because they don't change a thing from
> tour to tour in regards of song selection or the
> way the show is set up in general. The Licks tour
> showed us briefly the things they can do but
> they'd rather play it safe and do YGMR every show.
> Never thought I'd be so disappointed in a band I
> have followed for my whole life.

The Stones doesn't have to do it for money, and so if they want to do club shows, they will. Regardless of the income.

As for the song selections you must have a bad recollection of the setlists over the years. Sure the warhorses are there. It's just plain stupid to ever think they will dissapear from the set. But apart from the Licks tour, they always play a lot of the new songs from the album they promote, i addition to some obscure oldies of their own and others. As for Licks, they did a whole bunch of old gems, which certainly satisfied me as a long time fan.

As for the stages, my God, one must be blind not to see the differences from the 81 to Steel Wheels to Urban Jungle to Voodoo Lounge to Bridges to Babylon to Licks to No Security to A Bigger Bang. Just amazing how the overdo themselves every single time, with new designs and the newest state of the art sound and lightening systems.

Wake up J-J and enjoy your favorite band. That's what they're here for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-15 02:10 by Niklas.

Date: October 14, 2005 08:35

No long explanations needed for this question.

Short answer= Cohl

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: October 14, 2005 09:58

They spoke clearly about Theatre shows in May, but they never really were precise about it.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: October 14, 2005 10:23

Well, at this time i suppose they will do some more club gigs in Europe, and that's probably the reason why they don't announce it yet, during the US Tour in fact of the ticket sales....

Date: October 14, 2005 19:08

The tour is less than two months old and people comlian about missing club shows. I can't believe it. They will spend another 3-4months in North America and close to a year across the world. Why don't you just go to one of the shows and enjoy the music?

Michael Cohl said they would play a different concept this time. Not so many smaller venues like on Licks. They would play bigger shows, more cities and new territories on this tour. And he stated the price of tickets in general. He did not promise any club shows at all.

I don't work for Michael Cohl or the Stones. In fact they would be much rather off with IORR closed down, as I print a lot of stuff not publicly available. They like secrets. But I am not in this "I hate myself and I want to die" club. I can enjoy life without waking up in the middle of the night screaming out "I want a clu show!".

There will be club shows. But don't hold your breath. It might take a while.

Bjornulf

Date: October 14, 2005 19:45

bv Wrote:
> Michael Cohl said they would play a different
> concept this time. Not so many smaller venues like
> on Licks. They would play bigger shows, more
> cities and new territories on this tour. And he
> stated the price of tickets in general. He did not
> promise any club shows at all.
>>
>

listen to the press conference again. He specifically stated the price of tickets for the theatre shows.

The fan club then sold memberships which specifically indicated that you could buy 4 tickets on a presale for a stadium/arena concert and 2 for a theatre show (its still on the rs.com site).

Whilst they never confirmed dates for any theatre shows, its common knowledge that they had plans to play such venues and scrapped them to play larger venues instead.

getting tickets for an arena or stadium show isnt that difficult. Getting tickets for a theatre show is. I would guess that most people took out fan club memberships based on the fact that a membership gives you an increased chance of tickets for a theatre show - and did so based on the assertion from Cohl there would be such concerts.

Whatever spin anyone puts on it to excuse it, thats deceit and false marketing. Pure and simple

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: October 14, 2005 19:46

bv Wrote:
>
> I can enjoy life without waking up in the
> middle of the night screaming out "I want a clu
> show!".

I guess that's because you've been fortunate enough to have enjoyed a zillion club shows already.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: October 14, 2005 19:48

Ouch!!! grinning smiley

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 14, 2005 19:52

Why not exercise the following RS.com's Guarantee?

C

"Very shortly after purchasing a Platinum Fan Club Membership you will be issued a unique ticket passcode. You will redeem your ticket passcode when you choose to purchase tickets during a fan club pre-sale period.

If you are not satisfied with the fan club ticket location availability you may try another city or exercise your right for a full refund as long as you have not redeemed your ticket passcode.

In the event you cannot find suitable tickets for a show you can receive a full refund. You can request a refund by canceling your account in the MY ACCOUNT area. After canceling your account you will immediately receive a notice that your refund request has been received. It may take up to two weeks to verify that your ticket passcode has not been used. Once our verification process confirms this your credit card will be immediately credited with a full refund.

Should you choose not to use your ticket passcode by the end of the PLATINUM MEMBER PRESALES, you will be notified that you are eligible for a refund. At this juncture you will have two weeks to choose to request your refund. If at the end of all of the presale periods for the Rolling Stones On Stage tour you have not requested a refund you will be given final notification that you have a two weeks to request a refund.

If you request, and are granted a refund, your account will be cancelled immediately.

You may submit a refund request from this page"

Date: October 14, 2005 20:25

So why don't you ask for money back so that others come in front of you in the queue when they do the club shows next year? I do believe there is a refund system in place for RS.com memberships, so what's the deal?

Bjornulf

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 14, 2005 20:29

There is one, I just posted it above.
I hope the refund is faster than the fan-club dvd!

C

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 15, 2005 01:02

Gazza Wrote:
> bv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Michael Cohl said they would play a
> different
> > concept this time. Not so many smaller venues
> like
> > on Licks. They would play bigger shows, more
> > cities and new territories on this tour. And
> he
> > stated the price of tickets in general. He
> did not
> > promise any club shows at all.
> >>
> >
>
> listen to the press conference again. He
> specifically stated the price of tickets for the
> theatre shows.
>
> The fan club then sold memberships which
> specifically indicated that you could buy 4
> tickets on a presale for a stadium/arena concert
> and 2 for a theatre show (its still on the rs.com
> site).
>
> Whilst they never confirmed dates for any theatre
> shows, its common knowledge that they had plans to
> play such venues and scrapped them to play larger
> venues instead.
>
> getting tickets for an arena or stadium show isnt
> that difficult. Getting tickets for a theatre show
> is. I would guess that most people took out fan
> club memberships based on the fact that a
> membership gives you an increased chance of
> tickets for a theatre show - and did so based on
> the assertion from Cohl there would be such
> concerts.
>
> Whatever spin anyone puts on it to excuse it,
> thats deceit and false marketing. Pure and simple
>
>
Gazza, were you there? Did you hear Cohl say that? Sorry, bur if you weren't there......

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 15, 2005 02:16

club shows = more songs to practice,
better off playing fewer songs right.

Date: October 15, 2005 02:57

> >
> Gazza, were you there? Did you hear Cohl say that?
> Sorry, bur if you weren't there......

are you aware of a couple of little phenomenons such as "audio" and "video"?

What has not being physically present at something got to do with it? Unless he spoke in some secret language that only the people there understood

From the press conference :

"last time around, they did 3 shows - you may remember, stadiums, arenas and theatres - and did them predominantly in the same city.....this time around, we're gonna do the same kind - 3 shows, but NOT in the same city, just perhaps one per city.."

I'll correct what I said earlier by acknowledging that Cohl didnt specify the ticket prices for the theatre shows (although he DID say that the ticket prices had a basic average of $100-105 for the 'non-gold circle' tickets, which makes up 90% of the venue - which is also bullshit). However, as can be seen from the above quote, he DID mention that the band would be playing theatre shows.

I think that it was stated somewhere officially that the theatre show tickets would be around $50. Although I stand to be corrected on that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-15 03:12 by Gazza.

Date: October 15, 2005 10:34

Gazza Wrote:
> >
>
> are you aware of a couple of little phenomenons
> such as "audio" and "video"?
>

Gazza, I was just kidding you. You are absolutely right. But is seems that if one is not there nowadays one cannot comment on topics.:-)

Date: October 15, 2005 17:59

The press conference was on May 10. Then Michael Cohl stated the general price level of tickets, as would be normal for a guy who is in charge of the tour. Sure he stated the general ticket price level also on a stadium as well as a club show. I never botherede to write out his exact words but it was a talk of 1-2 minutes only and I never took that as a promise of any club shows.

But I like club shows. So I did what any Stones fan could do. I took a holiday with a few days off in Toronto. And believe it or not, due to hard work, focus, sleeping in a Toronto street for one night and paying 10 - TEN - Canadian dollars for a ticket, I saw the first club show of this tour. So even if Michael Cohl did not promise any club shows, they have already done one. And there will be more. But they are secret and you are not supposed to just walk in on them.

I have said this many times. I never publish it on the main IORR web pages but I write it where the hard core Stones fans read my messages which is some times here and for every tour in the IORR magazine. "How to get into a club show". That is the subject. If you have bothered to read this far by now you are probably interested in the subject. I will tell you if you read one of those messages and if you followed my advice then you would have made it into the club show.

Club shows and smaller heatre shows are real hard for ticket sales. It is only natural. Hundreds of thousands of Stones fans from all over the world read these pages on IORR. Everybody would like to pay 10 dollars to see the Stones in a club. So if they did a regular announcement of ticket sales or if I told you how to do it in the IORR News section then it would be chaos. You would be in line with 10,000 people and you would not make it. So I try to be selective without being over-protective. It's hard but I have managed so far.

Sure I know not everybody can take two weeks holiday and go to Toronto. Or London. Or Paris. But if you are not prepared to keep focus, work hard on the subject, travel and pay attention to all the advices you can get, keeping eyes and ears open at all times, then it will be very hard to make it to a club show.

One thing is for sure. Be there. Don't sit on your computer complaining about no club shows. Like any other art of true fandom. Bird watching. Train spotting. Catching the big wave. You have to keep focus and stay alert a all times. You have to talk to people. You have to pay attention. To what I say between lines. Never direct. Then it would be a lot easier. But still hard.

Bjornulf

Date: October 15, 2005 19:45

Bv, theatre shows are real hard for sales. And it would be even more, maybe impossible, this tour I think. I'm glad I had the luck (and patience) of being at two club shows last tour. On the one hand I'm glad there are no small club shows so I will not be frustrated not being there.
Just imagine the Stoens at the Royal Albert Hall (not that small but still) and not getting tickets.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: October 15, 2005 20:08

GeorgeV, RCMH is Radio City Music Hall . . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home