For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.
Can we talk about Alex Morgan?
Uh OK i leave ...
Google just changed their search image locally by IP address here in USA to the following image:
I guess very few have actually watched any games. Anyway, congrats to USA. By far the best allround team in women's football.
Now and then. And probably for still a good deal of time. The penalty was questionable though. And I think Alex Morgan reinforced the situation also. But VAR decided. 2-0 was a beauty.
The right winner in the end.
Some short points about the tournament as a whole:
- The weather. Temperatures close to 40 C daytime and 30 C nighttime. Too hot. It's even dangerous with sports at those temperatures. Seem like continental Europe has too warm summers nowadays.
Something that should be taken into consideration.
- The arrangement. I mostly hear complaints from journalist. Too many empty seats in many games is one. They have done well with security though. Everything is high risk these days I'm afraid.
- Quality of the referees. Some are really good but to many are bad. It has to do with FIFA politics (a quota system). European referees are good though.
- FIFA. FIFA boss Infantino was booed at during the ceremonies. Rightfully so. What a clown. He proposed to expand the tournament from 24 to 32 teams. That in a situation where there are teams like Thailand and Jamaica with 0 points and a goal difference with -19 and -11 after 3 games...
- The money. I agree that women national teams should be treated better and payed more .
- Quality of football. In my mind the best Women's World Cup ever. Which is a good sign of course...
Maybe I'm spoiled by watching men's Champions League, but apart from the Dutch keeper the Dutch teams level is next to nothing. A good pass is more matter of luck than skill. But they are having fun, kick the ball, no matter what direction. The American team is ok, you can compare it to the Dutch Jupiler league at best. No pun intended.
It's all about money.
When I was a kid we had great live sport (which was cheap to go to),or on TV which was also freeview here in U.K. for all sport shown on TV.
The world has changed ,and women's football,rugby,cricket,golf,athletics,winter sports and many other sports have gone leaps and bounds since the 1950's-60's.
Lots of Sport back then was classed as amateur or else paying small ,or just average wages.
Now, these top sports people can earn plenty of money ,millions or even hundreds of millions of $/£/Euros in their career...……... and good luck to them.
The world has changed with technology since the old days, but most of us seem to have adjusted to it.
Big money earners in sport, finance, politics music, media etc. have done very well, so some of us who are still working or else getting a pension ……….hopefully are also having a good life.