Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Favorite Drum Parts in Stonesworld
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 10, 2019 22:38

Think I read somewhere Charlie quoting Ventilator Blues for drums... Indeed, it's terrific...

From

[www.youtube.com]

???
2 years ago
Watts said in 2003, “We always rehearse ‘Ventilator Blues’ [for tours]. It’s a great track, but we never play it as well as the original. Something will not be quite right; either Keith will play it a bit differently or I’ll do it wrong. It’s a fabulous number, but a bit of a tricky one. Bobby Keys wrote the rhythm part, which is the clever part of the song. Bobby said, ‘Why don’t you do this?’ and I said, ‘I can’t play that,’ so Bobby stood next me to clapping the thing and I just followed his timing. In the world of Take Five, it’s nothing, but it threw me completely and Bobby just stood there and clapped while we were doing the track - and we've never quite got it together as well as that.”[4]?

From

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-10 22:45 by The Joker.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 11, 2019 00:18

A lot but 2000 Lights Years From Home needs to be mentioned............

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 11, 2019 00:22

agree on 2000 light years.

but my favorite is on Midnight Rambler when he does that double punch at 6:33

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 11, 2019 00:56

snoopy2
Cristiano Radtke
Let it loose.
thumbs up

Hey Cristiano! You're one of the ones I miss on Facebook since I quit, but hopefully will get to meet you on the tour?
-Matt

Hey Snoopy! I noticed you weren't there anymore, but I guess it wasn't the first time? It would be great to meet you and other IORRians on the tour, but I'll follow the tour with my FOCS* tickets. Have fun and enjoy! smileys with beer

*Front of the Computer Screen grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2019 01:00

Get Offa My Cloud …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 11, 2019 02:07

I like the irregular cymbals on Angie.
I like that the tempo of HTW speeds up throughout and Keith and Charlie stay connected.
I like the little hiccup at the end of Rocks Off -- he seems to lose the thread but gets it back right away.

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 11, 2019 09:22

wonderboy
I like that the tempo of HTW speeds up throughout and Keith and Charlie stay connected.
I like the little hiccup at the end of Rocks Off -- he seems to lose the thread but gets it back right away.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but there are 3-4 times during the song where right after Jagger goes "Angie" Charlie gives an off-beat open hi-hat that closes on the beat, where a snare should be. You can actually see Mick make a special move to this thing in the official video (the one with the hat). He loves it...
I think the hi-hat is Charlie's secret weapon. Not many rock drummers I hear do the things he does with it. Within fills too...many of them spend too much on tom-toms while Charlie invests in the hi-hat.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 11, 2019 09:54

Too many to count...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 12, 2019 00:19

In Slave, at 5:00 there's kind of a break down and Charlie is just hitting the cymbals for a little bit. Then the song starts to pick up steam again and at 5:42 he plays a powerful fill. That whole part is really cool.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 12, 2019 01:28

Get off my Cloud, Complicated, Slave, If you can't Rock me , etc.. yep list is countless

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 12, 2019 02:48

Rockman
Get Offa My Cloud …..

when the Stones play GOOMC live it is imperative that the drum rolls are played and out front Drums drive that song. Of course, like Hopkins says there are many elements to that song. However, the drum rolls are critical.

Complicated is great too. Many Stones fans are unaware or simply dismiss this great 60s type suave song.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 12, 2019 04:22

z
wonderboy

Not sure if this is what you mean, but there are 3-4 times during the song where right after Jagger goes "Angie" Charlie gives an off-beat open hi-hat that closes on the beat, where a snare should be. You can actually see Mick make a special move to this thing in the official video (the one with the hat). He loves it...
I think the hi-hat is Charlie's secret weapon. Not many rock drummers I hear do the things he does with it. Within fills too...many of them spend too much on tom-toms while Charlie invests in the hi-hat.

Yes. Stated much better. I knew it came at an offbeat time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 12, 2019 05:44

Palace Revolution 2000
keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
z
I love Charlie's missing snare beats. There are few songs on which he simply skips one snare hit. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it is very effective...
Wild Horses at 3:30 ; Miss You at 3:14...
There are more, can't remember right now...

That is great stuff. Love the "Wild Horses" catch. I cant find the one in 'Miss You". There are several official versions anyway.
And you remind me of the whole lifting his stick off the Hi Hat deal. IMO that has been blown out of proportion. he doesn't do it all that often, and it didn;'t make a huge impact.
Really? As far as I can see, that's ALL he does when it comes to his hi-hat/snare technique.

I've seen him hit the hi-hat in conjunction with his snare a handful of times since, say, 1989, but it's very very rare.

I'm sure you right. In the late era I don't follow them as close anymore where I used to memorize every second of everything they did. And it's kind of a drag because every time I see them I ask myself "Why am I going around saying they're not as hot live as they used to be, because invariably they are."
But in '94 I was on the stage behind Charlie, and I watched him for most of the show, an he just was not doing the Hi Hat thing much.

All the live videos from the VOODOO tour show him holding off the hi-hat for the snare. He does it on practically everything and has been for eons.

He started doing that during the SOME GIRLS sessions.

His heavy double kick beat style that's so excellent on GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! started with, as I recall, We Love You/THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST through BLACK AND BLUE.

One of his finest recordings is She's So Cold. That is perfection.

Probably my favorite roll, like how he started Start Me Up in 1989-90 is when they come back in from the breakdown in Tie Me Up - it's one room mic, apparently in the back of the studio, I read somewhere, that is used just for that roll and it's awesome.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 13, 2019 01:24

Monkey Man
[www.youtube.com]
thumbs up mr. watts

he's pretty much slamming the kit the whole time here.
his 'parts' are fills, it seems; to me it seems like that natural
propulsive thing that I sometimes reference in relation so Bill,
in this essential 3 man rhythm section; 4 man when all cylinders pumping;
and that goes for Brian, Mick T., and Ron years, imo, as well.

the fills are delicious; pardon me for saying symphonic, this is a song
that ends up in seemingly sick monkeys yip yapping in bursts...
but Charlie is all over that spare kit here; and my feeling is that
it's a very emotional performance; that he was invested in it;
whether keeping up or leading deftly with all that punctuation is
not for me to figure out and know for sure...
...but imo it's a very striking drum performance pretty much all through;
and it seems like he near bursting waiting for another chance to ride the funk groove that Keith is blistering through; i love this track. the sound effects; its really a great production and the drums kill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-13 05:25 by hopkins.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 13, 2019 02:27

Rocks Off beginning.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: May 13, 2019 02:43

Flip The Switch

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 14, 2019 00:10

You can't always get..., it's only rock"n'roll...

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 14, 2019 00:33

Last seconds of Star star on Goats head soup. 5 or 6 chrashes in a row...

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 14, 2019 00:46

deardoctor

IORR really? Nothing at all great about the drumming on it, pretty bog standard in my opinion, I know Charlie said he thought Kenny Jones was fine on it but I wish he would have had a go.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 14, 2019 01:39

All Down The Line from Fort Worth 1978. (or any 1978's gig). Just plain perfection.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 14, 2019 04:21

Ket
deardoctor

IORR really? Nothing at all great about the drumming on it, pretty bog standard in my opinion, I know Charlie said he thought Kenny Jones was fine on it but I wish he would have had a go.

yeah Ket agree. the rest of the song is on the boring side too.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 14, 2019 04:23

Toward the end of Shattered when the grove is starting to get a little long in the tooth Charlie throws in a nice energetic fill to ramp the song back up. The coolest part for me was throwing in the hi hat wash then close right after the initial fill at 3:16. It just works great and only Charlie would play it like this. video: [m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 14, 2019 04:45

For a great live fill check out The Neighbors fill at the end of the sax solo. Perfection tying in with Mick's neighbors! Neighbors! Neighbors!
Listen about 2:20
video: [m.youtube.com]

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: May 14, 2019 11:19

RESPECTABLE

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 14, 2019 15:49

The entire LA Friday is a the best lesson on how to be Charlie Watts.

Mathijs

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 14, 2019 17:46

Markdog
For a great live fill check out The Neighbors fill at the end of the sax solo. Perfection tying in with Mick's neighbors! Neighbors! Neighbors!

Neighbours is the only song, unless someone else knows other, where the cymbals are muted through most of the song.

Date: May 14, 2019 17:51

GasLightStreet
Markdog

Neighbours is the only song, unless someone else knows other, where the cymbals are muted through most of the song.

And the snare is inaudible on Luxury...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 14, 2019 18:02

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Markdog

Isn't Charlie playing the snare rim with the butt of his stick?

Date: May 14, 2019 18:28

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Markdog

It's hard to decipher in that mix, isn't it?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 14, 2019 18:33

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Markdog

It's hard to decipher in that mix, isn't it?
It is, but I just re-listened and I think that's what Charlie's doing...I guess the technical term is "cross-stick" or "rim-click".

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home