Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ronnie Wood's The Picasso Stones
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 26, 2019 17:04

Mick is female in 1 and not in another?

To me, Ronnie’s self portraits (alone) are my favorites. There is 1 I saved in photos cannot find it anywhere now, off on some lost cloud.
Hard to find it online again.

I also like his landscapes of Barcelona and Ireland.

He has an excellent work ethic. Keeps his hands ready for guitar.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 26, 2019 17:08

While searching for the painting I picked up a very good used condition of this:
Ron Wood: The Works Paperback – November, 1987
by Ron Wood
Bill German who wrote the fandom book I read awhile back forgot this little ditty of Ron’s look forward to it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 26, 2019 17:20

Kurt
Never begrudge anyone for creating...

That is right, Kurt. But if you put price tags on your work you should be able to handle opinions and criticism also.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 26, 2019 17:43

Stoneage
Kurt
Never begrudge anyone for creating...

That is right, Kurt. But if you put price tags on your work you should be able to handle opinions and criticism also.

Agreed.
I think he can handle it.

BTW...I own a few of his works but this one is not for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-26 17:44 by Kurt.

Date: April 26, 2019 17:44

Whomever the artist may be, chances are you aren't going to dig everything they produce. These 'Mickasso' works are certainly a departure from Ronnie's usual vibe.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 26, 2019 18:19

i know it’s only rock n roll but i like it.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 26, 2019 19:12

Trying to copy the work of a great master is a good exercise -- whether it's Taylor or Picasso.

This painting is just unimaginative and amateurish. I'd have thought twice about even posting it on a personal instagram... I wasn't gonna say anything, until I saw that it is on the rolling stones' website... Why?

Nice that RW has a hobby... But it isn't art. Not even close.

Tip: try to copy the original verbatim... Stroke for stroke... Learn from the exercise; then try to be original.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2019 19:32

Stoneage
Koen
They are for sale: [shop.ronniewood.com]

Horrible, horrible, horrible! Good luck to those buying it...

Painting by numbers...useless...but at least he didn't use colored marking pens...
Not sure what the goal is here (other than making some quick money), and/or why he would spend his time on these when he could be/should be creating originals.

*This critique is coming from a proud owner of one of his prints bought back in 2002 - a silkscreen/serigraph limited to 600 and bought for a few hundred dollars including professional matted and framed by the gallery.
Was invited to a private opening for his show at the Venetian in Vegas, and spent a couple of minutes talking with Ronnie - a very nice chap - he even sent me a personalized signature and cartoon style drawing of himself!
Has since increased dramatically in value, but if he keeps putting out crap like the above, I'm afraid the print will steadily decrease in value!!!

Clearly he has some skills as an artist, but not sure if he's utilizing those skills to the best of his abilities with some of the work he puts out - this new stuff being a prime example.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 26, 2019 20:55

Tough crowd here...

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 27, 2019 00:10

It's nice to read useless opinions on art! Not even the art of Van Gogh appreciated it at the beginning ... he had to die to have the recognition of the whole world, if there had been internet those years maybe we would have read of him phrases like those read here. Art is personal, anyone who creates something, Ron W. is fortunate to be already famous, even if in another field, but this means nothing, Ronnie does not need painting to live, he does it because he likes it and if he likes it manages to earn even better. History will tell if his paintings deserve ...

Date: April 27, 2019 00:46

If Picasso or van Gogh were alive... they wouldn't sell out/ play at Madison Square Garden.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-27 00:47 by schillid.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2019 00:52

…. I ear you ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2019 00:56

A hundred years from now Ronnie might be better remembered for his art than his guitar playing...winking smiley...hard to say lol.

"He was a great painter who had a side job with a rock and roll band"

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 27, 2019 01:13

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about the quality of the artwork in question, but it's interesting to see that he included Darryl as a member of the core band.

Date: April 27, 2019 01:14

Did ya hear about the Midnight Dabbler

Date: April 27, 2019 01:15

Testify
History will tell if his paintings deserve .

History won't bother with Ronnies drawings of course.

Testify
t's nice to read useless opinions on art

And your opinion is useful then?

Testify
Not even the art of Van Gogh appreciated it at the beginning

You're comparing Wood with van Gogh. I say...

Date: April 27, 2019 08:37

Stoneage
No, it wouldn't.
Haha..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 27, 2019 10:36

Spud
Stoneage
Spud
I think some folks underestimate Ronnie a little as an artist.

Were he not an otherwise famous celebrity his art would still have been more than good enough to find its way into galleries and make him a decent living.

Don't think so. There are thousands of amateurs out there just as good as him. Or better. Very few can make a living out of it.

There will be thousands of amateur guitar players who are just as good too .

As with music...a bit of luck is required to go along with the talent if you are to be successful ...and Ronnie has enough artistic talent to have succeeded, given that little bit of luck .

Far more than a little bit of luck.
Mick once said the reason why the Stones had been successful for so long :
-80% Luck
-10% Hard work
-10% Talent

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 27, 2019 11:33

schillid
If Picasso or van Gogh were alive... they wouldn't sell out/ play at Madison Square Garden.

I am a huge fan of Picasso, together with Rembrandt one of the greatest painters ever, but Picasso definitely sold out quite often, playig the clown in front of the camera, giving one-liners to impress the crowd.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 27, 2019 11:57

Go Ronnie go! I love his paintings, and I do own a few ones, but now they are too expensive for me, I need to save up for touring...

Bjornulf

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 27, 2019 14:24

Wow! A digital print (and singed) for 1750 euro????eye popping smiley

Date: April 27, 2019 16:30

jlowe
Spud
Stoneage
Spud
I think some folks underestimate Ronnie a little as an artist.

Were he not an otherwise famous celebrity his art would still have been more than good enough to find its way into galleries and make him a decent living.

Don't think so. There are thousands of amateurs out there just as good as him. Or better. Very few can make a living out of it.

There will be thousands of amateur guitar players who are just as good too .

As with music...a bit of luck is required to go along with the talent if you are to be successful ...and Ronnie has enough artistic talent to have succeeded, given that little bit of luck .

Far more than a little bit of luck.
Mick once said the reason why the Stones had been successful for so long :
-80% Luck
-10% Hard work
-10% Talent
Sometimes Mick's... uh what do you call it?...his self deprecating, and that dry pragmatism is just a drag. That is why he will never be able to write an interesting autobiography. I think he knows that. But come on Mick. Quit deflating that balloon.
Keith knows that you should never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 27, 2019 18:25

Stoneage
Testify
History will tell if his paintings deserve .

History won't bother with Ronnies drawings of course.

Testify
t's nice to read useless opinions on art

And your opinion is useful then?

Testify
Not even the art of Van Gogh appreciated it at the beginning

You're comparing Wood with van Gogh. I say...
I didn't compare Van Gogh to Ronnie, I just gave an example. Of course my opinion like yours is worthless, history will tell! People are born, live and some are lucky enough to create something to leave to future generations, music, paintings, etc. Art critics have often wrong, sometimes they have guessed, but I always respect art, even for a painting created by a stranger, if I like it I buy it if possible regardless of the author. What I believe would be useful for everyone and learn to respectfully criticize art.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: April 27, 2019 19:03

" I only tell Keith, Mick and Charlie what I’m doing after it’s done. I showed the Picasso one to Keith and he went: ‘I like Mick’s tits,’ which I took as a huge compliment.."

Inside Ronnie's cottage studio ;

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: April 27, 2019 20:09

To paraphrase Martin Mull, writing about art is like dancing about architecture.

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: April 27, 2019 21:06

As a Stones fan and not an art critic, I think this is a lot better pastime than Jack Daniels. It has improved his playing. And for this reason I love it. Or in Ronnie’s words:

In the past it was much easier to get high than to do something constructive. I really think my art has helped save my life.”

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-27 21:08 by Gigbag.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 27, 2019 21:26

schillid
Trying to copy the work of a great master is a good exercise -- whether it's Taylor or Picasso.

This painting is just unimaginative and amateurish. I'd have thought twice about even posting it on a personal instagram... I wasn't gonna say anything, until I saw that it is on the rolling stones' website... Why?

Nice that RW has a hobby... But it isn't art. Not even close.

Tip: try to copy the original verbatim... Stroke for stroke... Learn from the exercise; then try to be original.

It may be just freelance graffiti, which is also is appreciated in the artworld but not at the level of Picasso or Hunter' Thompson's artist Ralph Steadman.

Date: April 27, 2019 23:35

Testify
Of course my opinion like yours is worthless, history will tell!

You're wrong, on both counts. Opinions aren't worthless; they are only more or less insightful. History won't tell about Wood's art. He is simply not good enough for that.
Ask a qualified painter or an art teacher and they will give you an honest answer about the quality of Wood's art. In my book it is close to kitsch.
That doesn't mean that he is without talent though. It's a good hobby and I think he should keep it up.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 27, 2019 23:38

I suspect Ronnie will be wielding his paint brush long after he has hung up his guitar.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 28, 2019 04:43

Lien
" I only tell Keith, Mick and Charlie what I’m doing after it’s done. I showed the Picasso one to Keith and he went: ‘I like Mick’s tits,’ which I took as a huge compliment.."

Inside Ronnie's cottage studio ;

[www.theguardian.com]

Nice article. Thanks for sharing, Lien! smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home