Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14
Re: EXILE On 42nd STREET
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 18, 2019 23:25

Now I can see it... EGG-cellent
Thanks, Deltics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-18 23:35 by schillid.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2019 23:33

Fortean Times also used his image on the cover of a book compiling issues 73-77 which sells for quite a bit of money

Can't find any details, other than on this site ( Three Ball Charlie ) which only mentions the inclusion of 'Robert Ripley's Photographs' amongst many other things.

--------------------------------
"Rip this joint, gonna save your soul..."

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 18, 2019 23:45

schillid
Now I can see it... EGG-cellent
Thanks, Deltics

Weird, I could see it OK. Hopefully fixed now.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 18, 2019 23:59

Charlie could have used one egg, along with a real tennis ball, which is nice'n squishy; and a real golf ball which is a little smaller.

Charlie drops the billiard ball into a bucket of water and it makes a splash. He tosses the other balls across the room.
While the kids and adults in the audience are busy chasing and examining and bouncing the other two balls around,

Charlie makes one quick switch... He puts the billiard ball in his pocket and the egg in his mouth...

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-16 05:51 by schillid.

Re: Exile On 42nd Street
Date: March 20, 2019 18:31

I don't remember all the details ...
Last night, I tried contacting some more people about all this...

Charlie couldn't talk (supposedly) ...
That guy has some balls.

The lady in the chair...
she's dead to me.

The mentalist had
no idea
what I was talking about

The headless lady
wasn't able
to think
about it
and this guy was all tied up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-20 19:56 by schillid.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 20, 2019 18:39

cool smiley

Good effort, schillid.
I also heard these ladies were rather short with you.

Date: March 20, 2019 18:48

thumbs up

Date: March 20, 2019 20:05

This lady ...
"Let me consult my ball..."
... Still CLUELESS, MYSTIFIED.
Only when I'm dreaming
Only when I'm sleeping

"Let's consult MY balls " I thought ...
... meanwhile there was $40 missing from my wallet this morning when I woke up.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-21 16:05 by schillid.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 21, 2019 14:38

Could the Fortune Teller be a man?!

And why do the names 'Monte and Diane' keep coming up in my magician/mentalist
search but never any pictures of 'Monte and Diane'...

Date: March 21, 2019 14:51

Try using quotation marks and plus sign ... when searching google... type

+"monte" +"diane"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 03:44 by schillid.

Date: March 21, 2019 15:39

schillid
Charlie drops the billiard ball into a bucket of water and it makes a splash. He tosses the other balls across the room.
While the kids and adults in the audience are busy chasing and examining and bouncing the other two balls around,

Charlie makes one quick switch... He puts the billiard ball in his pocket and the egg in his mouth.

The audience continues tossing and bouncing the tennis ball and the golf ball. Charlie watches them while he wipes sweat from his brow.

With a (hardboiled) billiard ball in his mouth, he still manages to whistle for everybody's attention and calls for the return of the tennis ball and the golf ball. He drops them both into the bucket of water on the table. He wipes them off with his handkerchief. He easily fits them in his big mouth next to the hardboiled egg.

Afterwards, he spits out balls one at a time. The golf ball, then the tennis ball. Into Charlie's handkerchief, then into the bucket. He wipes the ball off and tosses it. Again everyone chases after the balls.

Charlie reaches into his pocket with his handkerchief and removes the billiard ball. He raises the handkerchief to wipe his mouth while he swallows the egg. He drops the billiard ball out of the handkerchief and into the bucket with a splash. He takes a quick sip of water and wipes his mouth again.

Everyone turns around. Charlie drinks more water and wipes his lips and brow one more time. He turns away so they don't smell the egg that he just ate.

Edited 29 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-16 05:51 by schillid.

Date: March 21, 2019 16:08

btw ...
I found the $40

Date: March 21, 2019 16:38

schillid
btw ...
I found the $40

As predicted...

Date: March 21, 2019 17:15

Two Balls, One Egg Charlie...
His cholesterol level must have gotten very high after eating all those eggs everyday...
I'm guessing... he may have eventually died due to a heart disease.

(Is there a doctor on the cover? )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-25 15:07 by schillid.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 21, 2019 18:17

"He turns away so they don't smell the egg that he just ate".

smiling smiley

--------------------------------
"Rip this joint, gonna save your soul..."

Date: March 21, 2019 23:49

"Professor Heckler! He took my egg!" Thelma, the Fat Lady yells.

Roy Heckler does the math silently in his head. He wonders... With more eggs each day... How much more money can I make? How many eggs for Charlie and how many for Thelma... How many more shows? how much to pay each of them?

Just then, a wretching sound coming from the direction of the bathroom door. Roy shouts towards the bathroom door, "Percy, I'm warning you! No food includes no eggs! I told you what'll happen if you go over seventy pounds!"

He adds, "And leave the fan on this time!"

Meanwhile, four fleas feed on Roy's forearm.

When he is finished letting fleas drink his blood, he carefully picks up each flea with a pair of tweezers and puts it away.

Edited 20 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-30 15:29 by schillid.

Re: SIDESHOW SLIDESHOW ... Exiles On Main Street, Photo ID.
Date: March 21, 2019 23:58

On his desk is a copy made from his dad's -- William Heckler Sr. -- original promo card... He's enlarged it to 8" by 10" using a fancy new machine in his photoshop called a photostat machine -- stat for short. The stat machine is considered state of the art -- despite the fact that it cannot accurately reproduce midtones. Contrast and brightness tend to blowout ...

Roy also has a photostatic print from an 8x10 photo of himself He's about to cut out the head with an X-Acto® knife and use rubber cement to paste it onto the promotion picture of his dad.

"This head looks like it's about the right size," Roy says to himself.
"I wish I had some kind of machine down in the photoshop to cut out the photograph and paste it down without the messy glue or X-Acto® knives... That collage for the lobby that I'm doing with Charlie Lucas ..."

He sticks his finger with his X-Acto® knife. "We'll need this blood for the new fleas," he says.

Later, Hubert's manager Charlie Lucas convinces his boss that the head he cut out is too big for the body ... and should be remade smaller. Roy prints another photostat slightly smaller, but the head is still too big. Charlie Lucas doesn't say anything.

Roy makes a stat of the combined pasteup, losing more detail and further blowing out contrast and brightness. They decide that it's good enough. Charlie staples Roy's stat up in the lobby with all the photos of the other performers and freaks.

Edited 56 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-24 00:00 by schillid.

Date: March 22, 2019 23:45

Okay... So I made up some parts of the last few posts ... but ...

In my opinion...
Roy Heckler and/or Charlie Lucas
(Owner and manager of Hubert's Dime Museum, respectively) ...

One or both of them could be the
"
designer" of the original montage on the wall at Hubert's
that was immortalized as the cover of Exile On Main Street

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 18:24 by schillid.

Date: March 23, 2019 16:17

Born in Mississippi in 1909, Richard "Charlie" Lucas was a sword-swallower, fire-eater, hot-coal walker, blade-walker, and African wild man in sideshows across the country. Lucas, a black man who lived in Chicago, had been working circuses and sideshows in the US and Canada since 1924, but he got his big break at the Century of Progress at the Chicago World's Fair in 1933.

Charlie Lucas near the center in photo above with finger held to his eye

During the 1933 Chicago World's Fair, Charlie Lucas presided over the "Darkest Africa" exhibit as "African Chief of the Duckbill Women," a.k.a. "WooFoo, the Immune Man". The core of his "tribe" was composed of 14 authentic Ashantis who had migrated to Manhattan, where they had been hired. The rest of the "natives" were rectruited from Chicago pool halls, many of them decked out in leopard-skin sarongs and zebra-hide shields furnished by Brooks Costume Company of New York. Lucas himself wore a bone through his nose, was dressed in ostrich feathers, spoke gibberish, swallowed fire, and climbed the blade ladder...

That year, The fair celebrated - without irony - "A Century of Progress."

Charlie and his wife Woogie found frequent employment with the Conklin Circus, a show that traveled in Canada and appeared in Toronto every year at the Canadian National Exposition. The CNE had an "African Village" in the 1940s and 50s, but Charlie and Woogie also performed the "Dance of Love." Judging by the two publicity photos that have survived, it must have been a fairly sizzling routine.

Charlie and Woogie

By the 1950s, Lucas and his wife, the beautiful Woogie, settled in New York, and Lucas found work managing Hubert's Dime Museum & Flea Circus, where Lucas worked as manager and inside talker for the assortment of human curiosities on display, and Woogie performed her snake-charming act alongside Sealo, Professor Heckler's Flea Circus, Mildred the Alligator Skin Girl, a Russian midget named Andy Potato Chips and Eddie Carmel, the Jewish Giant.

It was there at Hubert's that Lucas was befriended by photographer Diane Arbus, who was moving from shooting fashion to shooting those on society's fringes, and who talked her way into the homes of his colleagues and shot what would later become iconic photos of, among others, Andy Potato Chips and two other midgets in his Uptown living room, and Eddie Carmel the Jewish Giant bent beneath the ceiling of his Bronx apartment, his parents looking like frightened Lilliputians beside him. Lucas became Arbus's friend and collaborator during the years she photographed at Hubert's, and Lucas was her link to the freaks and performance artists and, in a larger sense, to the culture and traditions of the freak show. He made the introductions for Arbus and in some cases set up photographic shoots with the performers.

Charlie Lucas died in 1991.

See: [www.swordswallow.com]

Charlie Lucas, 1940s

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-15 19:08 by schillid.

Exile On 42nd Street
Date: March 23, 2019 17:15

Roy Heckler

Call me
Professor Heckler.
Please don't call me 'boss'. Okay?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-25 15:13 by schillid.

Date: March 23, 2019 19:13

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 23:48 by schillid.

Date: March 23, 2019 19:22

"Now how you train a flea is, you got to get the flea and you put him in a tube, like a test tube.

And they keep bouncing, and they jump and hit their head. And once they won't hit their head anymore, or they'll just lay still or dormant or crawl, then they're ready to be tied up."

This is a delicate operation using tweezers and a single strand of very fine copper wire... "You make a loop. Then you put that over the front two legs and behind the neck. Then you take your tweezers and you squeeze that to hold it, then wrap it around the chariots. And then you ... tickle them. And then they'll run across."

Since the life span of a flea is only a few weeks, such "training" is time intensive.

"Dancing fleas" were in fact frantically attempting to dislodge the splinters fastened to their legs. And the flea "playing soccer" was just kicking away a cotton pellet soaked in a repulsive chemical, giving the illusion of athletic prowess.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 23:39 by schillid.

Date: March 23, 2019 20:15

"What if we couldn't always tell a trick from a miracle?"

- Diane Arbus

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 23:39 by schillid.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 24, 2019 11:17

Amazing

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: March 24, 2019 15:09

Photograph and billboard design by John Van Hamersveld

Excerpts from [www.laweekly.com]

The Forgotten L.A. History of The Rolling Stones' Exile on Main St.
by Matt Wake
August 31, 2017

Exile’s iconic and often-imitated collage-style packaging was designed by John Van Hamersveld at his second-floor space at Chapman Park Studio in Koreatown, on Sixth Street and Alexandria Avenue... The album's front cover features an [outtake] image that Robert Frank shot for his late-’50s photography book The Americans... The back-cover photos of the Stones were taken by Robert Frank on Main Street in downtown Los Angeles. Van Hamersveld says that initially, "The album was just titled 'Exile'... But "after the photos, the album became 'Exile On Main Street'. "

Van Hamersveld says he didn’t hear any Exile tracks until near the very end of his creative process, when Jagger played a tape for him and photographer Norman Seeff at Seeff’s office. “You have to realize that all of this is intuitive,” Van Hamersveld says via phone from his Palos Verdes home. “Each person brings something to it. I brought something to it. Robert Frank brought something. Norman brought something.”

Van Hamersveld, who'd ... designed ... album covers for The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour and Jefferson Airplane's Crown of Creation, got connected to the Stones via Chris O’Dell, Jagger's assistant, whom he had met years before when she worked at The Beatles' Apple Records. Van Hamersveld's job was to design Exile's packaging around a single photograph Robert Frank shot ... chosen by Jagger.

The individual photos, Van Hamersveld says, were previously arranged ... [ by CHARLIE LUCAS and ROY HECKLER? -schillid ] “And then Robert Frank comes along with a camera ... and Boom! Snaps a picture of it," Van Hamersveld says. "And leaves.
Having these freaks up on the wall ... it’s the bottom of the culture and Robert Frank is there taking a picture of it. That’s the beauty of it. It was very timely, that we could show how decadent rock & roll had become."

Van Hamersveld cropped the front cover down from the original 11-by-17-inch Frank photo, then assembled the back cover and gatefold interior collages from Frank’s Stones photos.

It was Jagger who hand-lettered Exile’s titles and credits, using pens and paper Van Hamersveld had sent him. “And then those pieces of paper I pasted down, with tape, so that’s how you get that rough look. It doesn’t come from a typographer — it comes from Mick Jagger, with a pen in his hand.”

Van Hamersveld played a recording of the Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil” as he assembled the Exile design in his studio. He used the most basic of design tools: photostats, tape and glue. He says most of the eight days he spent working on the design were focused on concept development. The paste-up ... now resides at Seattle’s Experience Music Project, he says.

Exile's iconic cover "is basically the punk movement in graphic work," says Van Hamersveld. "It’s the start-out point.” Exile was seminal for the rip-and-tear graphic design look that's been used in a bazillion fanzines and Xeroxed, collaged show flyers since. “When it first came out, people hated it: ‘What the FUCK have you done?'.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-24 16:03 by schillid.

Date: March 25, 2019 17:54

Dreamed about a Fortune Teller...
she sold me pretzels and told me nothing.
True story.

Date: March 25, 2019 18:44

So I woke up one morning and went to Twitter.
Penn and Teller are probably the finest students in Advanced Magic History class.

I asked Penn this question:

@pennjillette
So many mysteries have been revealed from the cover of Exile On Main Street but a few remain...
CAN YOU HELP US identify these two?
1930s or 40s performers at Hubert’s NY dime museum.
Thanks and see you in Vegas in a few weeks!

[twitter.com]

His response:

"I don't know but I will ask Teller"

[twitter.com]

Of course Teller is the one that never talks...

Date: March 25, 2019 18:52

I was once walking along West 48th Street... I walked past a storefront where a lady "psychic" handed out her card to passersby.

When she tried to hand one to me, I said to her, "If you were really psychic, do you think that you would bother trying to hand me a card?"

She said "If I was really psychic, do you think that I would be standing here on the sidewalk handing out cards?"

True.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-27 15:47 by schillid.

Date: March 26, 2019 19:08

So my copy of Fortean Times Number 74 landed into me mailbox...

Two page article on Ripley's Carnival of Curioddities...

Charlie (nothing else is known about him)

But at least our beloved Leona Young makes an appearance...
so it wasn't all a waste.

Date: March 27, 2019 15:45

Beloved's breath smelled like kerosene.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 402
Record Number of Users: 184 on May 17, 2018 22:46
Record Number of Guests: 3948 on December 7, 2015 15:07

Previous page Next page First page IORR home