Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Letter sent to ABKCO- Christmas 2003
Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: November 25, 2018 15:32

Found this letter I wrote on an old computer and thought I would share. I am about to prepare another letter to reiterate some of the things in here that could still be done with the Stones 63-71 era of ABKCO ownership. So, if you are bored- read it and tell me what I should write to them. They never acknowledged my letter AND I never thanked them for doing some of the things that were suggested back then (Re-release GYYYO, release Leeds, Live at the BBC, a few others). I will thank them and hopefully the next suggestions by you- the fans of the greatest rock and roll band in the world- will be answered.

Mr. Allen B. Klein
ABKCO Records
1700 Broadway Avenue
New York, New York 10019

Dear Mr. Klein,

I must say that I’m very impressed with the entire re-mastering series for the Rolling Stones. I have every song that ABKCO has re-mastered, including some songs on three different releases. Nevertheless, I’m thrilled to have the entire collection. I have several comments that I would like to express that might generate interest from your corporation.

During the two years that ABKCO went through re-mastering the catalogue, I’m quite positive that ABKCO came across some very intriguing music in the vaults that has not been released to the public, unless the fans have access to bootleg versions. Bootlegs are illegal, and are usually in poor quality. With the technology that ABKCO has acquired, your company would make millions of dollars and millions of fans happy by clearing the vaults with re-mastered, never-been-released material.

Apple Records did an excellent job with releasing film documentation, as well as cleaning out the vaults and releasing cleaned-up alternate versions of The Beatles material. I could be wrong, but I believe each of the double-disc Anthology discs went triple-platinum. Your research people have already dug through the vaults and went through miles of tape and probably organized them into sections of released material and unreleased music. Some of the material may be “crappy” to what the Stones and their management groups thought back in the 1960s. However, I don’t believe that they could produce something that the fans would not want to hear. Even if it is an alternate version of a song and the Stones are sounding great and somebody messes up in the studio and the song ends up being cut, we will want to hear everything that the Stones have on tape. If you have a chance, get the Beatles Anthology discs. You’ll hear many mistakes, laughter, and joking going around in the studio, but you’ll also hear wonderful versions of songs that you never heard done in that way before.

Consider this, “Time is on My Side”, “Heart of Stone”, “Out of Time” and “Memo From Turner” have two versions each released to the public either on the regular release, on a compilation, or on Metamorphosis. All four songs are done differently on each of the releases and each song has it’s own personality. Some may prefer the “Time is On My Side” with the organ introduction, while some may prefer the guitar intro. Some may prefer the orchestrated “Out of Time”, while some may like the extended version that appears on Aftermath. Personally, I love the “Heart of Stone” that appeared on Metamorphosis rather than on the original release. Now, wouldn’t it be neat for the fans to hear the acoustic version of “Child of The Moon” that we haven’t heard before, or maybe even a different take of “Jumping Jack Flash?” Wouldn’t it be awesome to hear the origins of a song on the first couple of takes before the final product?
I speak with many Stones fans on different websites and started many discussions on those websites that basically speak of what I’m writing you about. This is a proposal of what needs to be done to make everyone happy. A large percentage of the fans state that while it’s great that ABKCO went and re-mastered the catalogue and are currently releasing the Singles EP collection, the one thing that is missing is what we haven’t heard before, or haven’t had access to get before in good quality.

I feel it is important for ABKCO to examine what other bands are doing for their fans. Pearl Jam has every show of a tour available to order on CD, as well as make available in the music stores. The Grateful Dead are releasing “bootlegs” in a volume type series, as well as Bob Dylan. The Who and Black Crowes are also doing things for their fans, making the music available if an official release is not available by giving the fans a code on an official release disc that allows them to visit their official website to download an additional show. Some artists like Dave Matthews, Jimmy Buffet and Phish are even giving the fans an option of getting a soundboard copy of the concert that they just attended by burning the show onto disc as the show occurs.

Currently, The Bonaroo Festival, as well as the band Metallica, have both released shows through a downloading website that they created, not one of the illegal websites. Instead of releasing each show, they have taken the soundboard and loaded onto the website server as a Bit Torrent FLAC file. This way there is no loss of quality, like going the Mp3 route. This is a great technological route to get the fans the music cheaply, while still making a nice profit. With your website, it would be very easy to offer untouched, unedited soundboard recordings in torrent FLAC form. Fans could set up a credit card account and download shows that you have in the vaults from 1963-1971. I can almost guarantee with very minimal advertising, ABKCO could sell 50,000-100,000 copies of each show on the 1969 tour alone! It doesn’t take a math degree to see the profit made if you charge $ 10 per torrent download.

If that doesn’t interest you, at the bare minimum ABKCO should consider following what every other major band has done when they have performed on the BBC by releasing a CD. The Beatles, The Who, Humble Pie, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull are some examples just to name a few. All titles sold in the millions. Why not have the Stones release a double disc of BBC sessions? Disc one could have the early years 1963-66, while disc 2 could have the famous BBC radio Leeds University concert from March, 1971, known in the bootleg industry as “Get Your Leeds Lungs Out!”

On the next few pages, I have tried to put the songs in chronological order, which is not necessarily the order of importance. I firmly believe each selection should be on a proposed Box Set Anthology series, but would be happy to see a majority of the tracks at least released as a double-disc. I’m sure that I’m missing other titles as well. These are all that I could find through research.

From the unreleased studio material:
“Bright Lights, Big City”, “Road Runner”, “Diddley Daddy”, and “Baby, What’s Wrong?” which all came form the March 1963 demo in London.
“Stewed and Keefed”, “High-Heel Sneakers”, “Tell Me Baby”, “Down in the Bottom”, “It Should Be You”, “Andrew’s Blues” and “Ain’t That Loving You Baby?” from the June, 1964 sessions at Chess studios in Chicago.

From the 1965-67 sessions for Aftermath, Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request sessions: “Looking Tired”, “English Summer”, “Get Yourself Together” (AKA “I Can See It”), “Gold Painted Nails.”

From the Surrey, March 1968 and Trident, June 1968 sessions for Beggar’s Banquet:
“Blood Red Wine”, “Lady”, “Still A Fool” (AKA “Two Trains”), “And I Was A Country Boy”, “ Did Everybody Pay Your Dues?” (AKA “Street Fighting Man” with different lyrics). “Stuck Out All Alone” (A.K.A “Hamburger To Go”), and the superb rocker “Highway Child” (AKA “The Vulture”). How “Blood Red Wine” and “Highway Child” never made it in released form baffles me. Each could have been a hit and would have been assets to Beggar’s Banquet or Let It Bleed.

From the 1969-1970 Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers sessions:
Unique versions of “Gimme Shelter” with Keith, instead of Mick on vocals, and “You Got the Silver” with Mick, instead of Keith on vocals. Other gems include: “Honky Tonk Women” (alternate version with the Paris verse and Taylor solo missing), “Loving Cup” (there are two alternate versions different than the 1972 release Exile On Main Street one of which was recorded at the first sessions with Taylor in 1969), “I Ain’t Lying”, “Who Am I?” and “Hillside Blues” (the latter being a blues take clocking in at over eleven minutes, with sensational guitar work from Richards and Taylor) and the Decca swansong “@#$%& Blues.”

From the Muscle Shoals sessions on the 1969 tour, as well as Sticky Fingers sessions:
“Brown Sugar”- there are many takes, such as the version we hear on the movie Altamont-Gimme Shelter. There also exists a version with Eric Clapton on lead guitar recorded in December of 1970 for Keith Richards’ birthday party. There also exists another version of Brown Sugar with a different guitar solo from Taylor. Some other alternate versions exist of “Wild Horses”, and the unique acoustic version of “All Down the Line”.

Several unreleased tracks came from various sessions from 1969-1973, which ABKCO may or may not own the rights to the material. These tracks are “Traveling Man”, “Potted Shrimp”, “Leather Jacket”, “Aladdin Stomp”, “Good Time Women” (AKA the development of “Tumbling Dice” from Exile On Main Street), “Dancing in the Light”, “Separately” and many others that have titles that I might not have mentioned.

Looking at possible selections from recorded live material:
From the BBC sessions from 1963-1965:
“Memphis, Tennessee”, “Cops and Robbers”, “Beautiful Delilah”, “Meet Me in the Bottom”, “Fanny Mae”, “Cry To Me”, and many other cover songs that were popular in England at the time.

From the Rock & Roll Circus in December, 1968:
“Route 66” wasn’t included on the 1996 release but was rumored to have been played during the Stones set. Other rumors state that the Stones also rehearsed and may have played: “Confessin' The Blues,” “Look On Yonder Wall,” “Walkin’ Blues,” and “Love In Vain”, the latter of which would have been the first time the Stones played that number live. As a tribute to many fans of Brian Jones, any and all songs performed or rehearsed should be made available, as that was his last live-recorded performance. If any other songs not included in the 1996 release were still available in the vaults, as well as takes that may be different than the official release, then those songs would be excellent selections for the box set proposal.

From the Hyde Park July 5th, 1969 free concert in memory of Brian Jones:
“I’m Yours, She’s Mine”, (a cover of a song by Johnny Winter which happened to be the recently deceased Brian Jones’ favorite song), “Gimme A Little Drink” (AKA Loving Cup), “Down Home Girl” (the only time they ever performed this song live) “Honky Tonk Women” (the first ever performance of the song) “No Expectations” (clearly the best ever version of this song live) are the true gems from this concert. The Stones also did “Jumping Jack Flash”, “Mercy, Mercy”, “I’m Free”, “Stray Cat Blues”, “Midnight Rambler”, “Street Fighting Man”, and “Sympathy For the Devil”. However, the first five songs that were mentioned before would be the one’s that I think most people would like to hear in a cleaned-up, non-bootleg soundboard recording. Currently, the only thing that is available is sourced from a mono video that was made of the show by Granada TV. If the whole show could be available in a potential bootleg series, then that would be great!

From the 1969 tour:
With all of the live recordings in the vault, it is very possible to have a more complete representation of the tour that Jagger often says was his favorite tour. Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! is possibly the single best live album all-time, even though it clearly has overdubs. It sure would be nice if it was re-released like The Who did with their classic Live at Leeds, in which they made a complete double-disc representation of that concert.

“Jumping Jack Flash” and “Satisfaction” from the 1969 tour that open the movie Altamont-Gimme Shelter. Why these versions did not go on the Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out! live album puzzles me. Both are clearly the best versions I’ve heard of either song with outstanding guitar work from Mick Taylor.

The setlist for the tour included other songs that were unfortunately not included on the official release. “Prodigal Son”, “You Gotta Move”, “I’m Free” , “Gimme Shelter” and “Under My Thumb, all did not make the Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! album release, more than likely because of the time constraints on the old 33rpm LP records. We know from watching the Maysles’ film that there are soundboard tapes of the early parts of the tour in California, because that is when Jagger did his “pants falling down” skit that ended up being spliced into the Ya-Ya’s album. With 80 minutes available for a CD, you could easily put selections from other shows on the 1969 tour to include those five missing tracks. It’s already known that Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! has selections from both of the MSG shows from November 27th & 28th with overdubs, as well as two tracks from the Baltimore show a few nights earlier, “Love In Vain” and “Stray Cat Blues”. Why bother to try and indicate that the album was recorded from the MSG show only? Take the best versions (even the overdubbed ones) from the tour and fill in the missing tracks in the correct running order for the show.

Trust me, fans will buy the 35th Anniversary Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! (Expanded) double-disc combined with the Altamont soundboard as quick as it is released. If you don’t believe this, check out what happened with Led Zeppelin’s triple- disc selection from 1972 called “How the West Was Won” that debuted #1 on the charts last summer, as well as their double-disc DVD that showed highlight excerpts from various shows in their career. Each release sold millions and should set an example for “The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World” to follow.

Personally, I believe the entire Altamont concert should be released, but if not then at the bare minimum we should have “Under My Thumb” “Gimme Shelter” and “Sympathy For the Devil”- from the movie Altamont-Gimme Shelter placed on the Anthology Box Set proposal. (ABKCO or Maysles should have the soundboard recordings, which are unedited, unlike what appears in the movie where it appears parts of the songs are chopped up. For example, the Taylor solo on “Sympathy For The Devil is cut on the video.) This is a piece of history, much like Woodstock, that should be allowed access to the fans. In fact, a separate box set with performances from all the artists, plus the full Stones show would be an excellent way to present to the fans.

I don’t mean to be critical, but I have never understood why “Sympathy For the Devil”- from the official live album Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out! has the fourth lyric edited from the song. It definitely puzzles and confuses me. (As everycop is a criminal, and all the sinners are saints, as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer…) It would be nice to hear that fantastic live unedited version on this proposed Anthology Box Set or on the proposed 35th Anniversary Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! (Expanded) release.

From the 1970-1971 tour of Europe:
The Stones changed their set list from the American part of the tour and included some songs live that haven’t been released except by bootleg from the Leeds show in 1971 mentioned earlier in the letter. “Let It Rock”, (which was the B-side to the “Brown Sugar” single in Europe,) “ Roll Over Beethoven”, “Dead Flowers”, “Bitch” and
“Brown Sugar” were all added to the tour, and from my research are all excellent versions. According to my sources, the Leeds show was played live on the BBC radio in March of 1971 and the boys were great. An online radio station affiliated with the BBC has recently replayed the concert. However, it would be nice to have the entire show, as the circulating bootleg is missing the first two numbers, ‘Jumping Jack Flash” and “Roll Over Beethoven.”

Some examples for the potential “Bootleg” Box Set or volume of releases:
Volume 1 would be the entire Hyde Park concert from July 1969. Volume 2 would be the show from Oakland in November 1969 (which was highly regarded as the first ever bootleg issued), Volume 3 would be Madison Square Garden show without edits or overdubs. Most importantly, you should release the entire Altamont concert if available from a clean soundboard recording as Volume 4. This is a piece of history as much as Woodstock was. A double disc should be issued with the entire show, which included the Jimmy Reed blues number that the Stones only played once “The Sun is Shining,” as well as the first-ever performance of “Brown Sugar.”

The BBC broadcast of the concert at Leeds University in March 1971 is a definite must for a Bootleg box set of recordings and it could be considered Volume 5 of the Bootleg Series. I’m not saying every show listed should be released, but I’d consider definitely releasing Hyde Park, Altamont & Leeds because of the history and great performances that they were. It’s a shame that we don’t already have access to these performances.

Combined effort with Virgin label:
Since ABKCO was able to work jointly with Virgin records on the 40 Licks release, maybe both companies could work together to create a video Anthology, as well as release unreleased live and alternate versions of material on compact disc. Virgin has been rumored to be in the process of completing an anthology of unreleased material for the last two years, so it would be great to see both companies work together on this to have everything we always wanted, but didn’t have access to get.

I just recently purchased The Beatles Anthology on DVD and would love to have something similar to that of the Stones. I have the 25 x 5 video, the Sympathy For The Devil DVD and have recently purchased the Rock & Roll Circus on DVD. However, that really doesn’t do the Stones justice.

Final comments:
The time is now to capitalize on the 40th Anniversary of “The Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World.” Why wait till the Stones are in their graves to release to the public? By then, the interest will not be what it is now. I understand that many of the unreleased tracks are instrumentals and can be easily detected by their unusual titles, but it’s still the Stones. They are a hot commodity now and still have a few years to attract even more fans. Get back into the vaults and bring the fans what they want. ABKCO will make money, fans will get what they want without having to go the illegal bootleg route, and I’m sure the Stones will be happy that everyone else is happy.

In review, the fans would prefer to have the following items:
#1- Anthology- 63-71
Tracks would be unreleased tracks, BBC tracks, and different takes of songs.

#2- Anthology 63-71 DVD
Footage like what come out on 25 x 5, but with additional film documentation of concerts and of recording sessions. Another possibility would be teaming up with Virgin to do an Anthology DVD from 1963-present. If the reason both companies are waiting for the Stones to retire prior to doing this, then why can’t you do the anthology for 1963-2004 now and add a final separate volume for the remainder of their career later?

#3- 35th Anniversary Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! (Expanded)
Disc1 would be Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! (Expanded). Disc 2 would be the entire Altamont show without editing any songs.

To get the true effect, Disc 1 should look like the true setlist of the 69 tour:
Track 1- “Jumping Jack Flash” (same as release) Track 2- “Carol” (same as release)
Track 3- “Sympathy For the Devil” (same as release, except add the missing 4th lyric)
Track 4- “Stray Cat Blues” (same as release), Track 5- “Love in Vain” (same as release)
Track 6- “Prodigal Son” (as seen on the movie), Track 7- You Gotta Move (see last note)
Track 8- “Ginme Sheter” (taken from any of the 69 shows where it was performed), Track 9- “I’m Free” (taken from 11.27.69 MSG), Track 10- “Under My Thumb” (was connected with I’m Free as a medley on 11.27.69, although the movie version is the best)
Track 11- “Midnight Rambler” (same as release), Track 12- “Live With Me” (same)
Track 13- “Little Queenie” (same as release), Track 14- “Satisfaction” (same as seen in the movie), Track 15- “Honky Tonk Women” (same as release), Track 16- “Street Fighting Man” (same as release). BONUS TRACK- “Jumping Jack Flash” (the version seen in the movie which is ten times better than the JJF that opens up this album)

#4- The Stones Bootleg Series
Possible shows that fans would be interested in purchasing would be Hyde Park 69, Oakland 69, Baltimore 69, New York 69, Altamont 69, and Leeds 1971 (from the BBC radio broadcast) Eliminate the middle man and allow fans to order the Bootleg Series directly from your website, including paying directly via a credit card to download the concerts in FLAC format. This format is much better than the MP3 format, which causes music to lose quality under compressed files.

#5- BBC Sessions 63-71
If a bootleg series doesn’t interest you, then please consider releasing a double-disc of the BBC live sessions, which will include the famous Leeds concert from March of 1971. Remember that inferior and similar bands have already released their BBC sessions and were very successful in their retail sales. This was mentioned earlier in the letter.

In closing, thank you for your time and attention to this matter. It is very important to me and to the millions of fans that I’m representing with this request. I have spent many hours sifting through research to provide you with several proposals that will please everyone in the Stones fan base. There seems to be enough material to make a very large Anthology Box Set, or at least a few double-disc sets. I’m not looking for any compensation from this project or any accolades for making the suggestion to your company. I just want some “Satisfaction.” Please respond to my letter as soon as possible.

Best regards to you and your company,

Brian McKinney

cc: Jody Klein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-25 15:59 by bigmac7895.

Re: Letter sent to ABKCO- Christmas 2003
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 25, 2018 16:05

It's too bad you never got a response. Very well written letter. I would love to get more stuff from the innovative "pop" era (I'm Free, Singer Not the Song, She Smiled Sweetly...that sort of thing). Whilst I love the stuff that came after, I really think that era is my favorite.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: November 25, 2018 16:21

this was great sr.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 25, 2018 16:31

Nice Post - Did you send it through Certified Mail where a signature is required?

Date: November 25, 2018 19:03

I didn’t... but I will for the next one. I’m following the “from the vaults” post and will still ask the consideration of more releases.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 25, 2018 19:17

Can you re-send original letter? It's solid!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 25, 2018 19:31

This is very good. Well done!

Can consideration be given to a release of the original selections on Bill's Black Box retrospective. Plus his 'cuttings' of course. It shouldn't require the Stones approval as it was all set to be released in the 70's. Its a more interesting track listing than Metamorphis.

Can some discussions take place with the new owners of the 'Ready Steady Go!' shows. Would make an excellent joint DVD and CD release.

The original UK versions of RS No 1 and No 2 album releases.

Any unreleased film footage from Goddards 1968 film, involving the Stones.

By the way, ABKCO has a new New York address..they are no longer on Broadway.

Perhaps your letter to Jody Klein could be copied to other personnel eg the younger Klein and some of the engineers (The credits on the 50th BB release will have the names).

And don't forget the Christmas card!!

All the best...and well done again.

Date: November 25, 2018 20:56

Thanks for the feedback. Hoping others might chime in with some things I may have missed that deserve an official release.

Is there a new address for ABKCO? I can look it up. I will redo and send with new things mentioned here and the from the vaults. When I do, I’ll post here in case anyone wants to also send something requesting these be released. Strength in numbers, right?

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: November 25, 2018 21:08

Roundhouse full show and any video if possible! The teaser on Sticky Fingers deluxe wasn't enough.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 27, 2018 20:31

Dear bigmac

It might be worth writing also to Sones Inc. as it appears that the non release of these tapes is as much to do with them as ABKCO.
They have offices in The Netherlands and London and of course Jane Rose has her Raindrop office in NY.
Then we have their own private addresses but this might be considered stalking, these days?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 28, 2018 16:27

Clean up the bit about trident and June 1968. Some of the tracks mentioned are from later and they didn't record at Trident in June 1968.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home