Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Pasadena CA USA (near Los Angeles) 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 21, 2019 20:22

24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
That's too bad for you 24FPS, but maybe you're grumpiness is a sign of old age lol- surprised you're not yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" at everybody!
And it's a shame you don't want to go, because the Stones are currently putting on really great shows! Don't take my word for it, read every single review written by the press and fans alike.
Ultimately, a bit of a hassle getting in and out of a stadium shouldn't be a deterrent when the Rolling Stones are in town!
So in reply to your cantankerous vibe, here's a quote Mr.T used to say: "I pity the fool"

Just like I pity the fools who go. Again, though, if your ears tell you your still listening the Rolling Stones from 20, 25 years ago, then god bless your ears. I don't suppose there would be any negative reviews at this point. Those who moved on from the group after the 2013 concerts, where only Mick Taylor's presence created any 'vibe', like me, haven't looked back. It means novelty means nothing to you. You don't like surprises, and you don't demand musical excellence any longer. Good for you. Have a $20 beer. Listen to Sympanthyforitsonlyrockandrolltumbling for the 900th time. Get excited. Have fun. I'm going to see Pink Martini at the Hollywood Bowl this Sunday night. Booker T is the opening act. To each his own.

I never said this is the Rolling Stones 20-25 years ago, and I don't think any review or critic who has witnessed these shows have said that either. This is the Rolling Stone state of the art 2019, perhaps a little torn and frayed around the edges, but that doesn't mean it's inferior by any means. I had similar feelings as you after the fantastic 2013 shows as in how can they ever top this? The Zip Code San Diego show sans Taylor confirmed those feelings as did the Desert Trip shows. They weren't horrible, but there was something missing. And then the dismal and infamous *Vegas '16 show where I vowed that was the end of it for me. But reading the rave reviews of the first two legs of No Filter, coupled with listening to multiple boots and viewing hundreds of videos on youtube, I figured it would be foolish to be so stubborn and stuck in my ways such as you seem to be right now. So now having seen the Chicago #2 show, followed by Santa Clara just the other night, I'm thanking my lucky stars I decided to take my chances as the Stones are still rolling and putting on amazing shows! For those who refuse to have an open mind about their current live shows, it's pitiful and you have to almost feel sorry for them.

As for the Stones at the Rose Bowl in '94, I was also there and it was Buddy Guy along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (not Public Enemy as you thought), so must be that your memory is fading as well as your enthusiasm for the Stones? It was a fantastic show as far as I remember, and even though the opening acts might not have been using the Stones sound system, hard to complain when you have two great opening acts such as those.

As for the hassle of getting in and out of the Rose Bowl, it's really not much worse than getting in and out of the Hollywood Bowl. I was at the Rose Bowl just last summer for the Arroyo Festival, and while it wasn't in the stadium itself, there were still tens of thousands of people enjoying the shows on multiple stages in the surrounding area. Getting in and out was a walk in the park, whether by shuttle or simply by taking a 30 minute stroll to and from. If that is too much of a burden for you, understandable I guess

Enjoy Pink Martini and Booker T at the Hollywood Bowl who I'm sure will be great. As you said to each his own, and good luck getting in and out of the Bowl - it's a bitch.

My feeling after 2013 is that they lost it. Keith would never be the same. The Hollywood Bowl is easy. Park at Universal, take the subway down to Hollywood and Highland. It's a haul going uphill, but at the end of the concert it's all downhill back to the subway. Dodger Stadium is terrible too. It was at least two hours getting out of there after seeing the Stone in 2006. (Yes, I think Public Enemy opened for U2 at the Rose Bowl). Never been a Chili Pepper fan. Song or two. Okay. Have fun! I'm sure the setlist will just be chock full of surprises. All one or two of them.

Again I had a similar feelings as you, but after seeing the current tour, I can admit I was completely wrong. In all honesty and sincerity, Keith is playing better now than he has in years, and the overall sound of the entire band is far superior to what it's been in years. And Ronnie...well he seems to be a completely new man! While you might not be surprised at a majority of the setlist, no doubt you'd be surprised at the power and quality level they're currently performing at. But hey, you can lead a horse to water...and you know the rest.

Thankfully it's not being held at the Coliseum - the entire area leaves alot to be desired to put it mildly, which isn't the case with the surrounding neighborhhod of the beautiful Rose Bowl.

On a final note and speaking of the Hollywood Bowl, I have fond memories of seeing the Stones there both nights in 2005. While the performances themselves might not have been the stuff of legend (they were just good),
to see them in the Hollywood Bowl itself was something to cherish forever.

I was there at the Bowl in 2005. That's when I first noticed the slippage. I thought I detected it on the Licks Tour, but attributed it to an off night. It was a fun night, but not exactly electric. They played Get Off of My Cloud in waltz time, when I wanted it full bore like on Got Live If You Want It. Maybe they are better in 2019 than they have been. It's about time. They've been on the road every year since 2012. They should be on fire by now. You can only hear the same songs so many times before they lose any luster, or attachment to their time. And face it, they have no sense of adventure. One, maybe two songs aren't set in stone. Should I be like one of those monkeys that jumps up at the first chords of Honky Tonk Women, like they've never heard it live before? I love the Stones. I thought they were great live, through '99. The last 20 years have been a version of the Stones.

Well that‘s what I call a great fan-opinion-tennis. Great match!
But don‘t forget: It all started out with somebody who just claimed he would‘nt go throuh the Bowls parking nightmare again. Added by some desillusionised words
about the band. And here is the point:
The Stones in 1972 played different. And we were different too: we didn‘t care about parking issues in those times for example. We hardly had a car. And: We now will loose fan companions year by year. If a fan want to quit and to close his Stones chapter its sad, but we have to respect it. We can‘t change their mind cause a decision like this comes from the deep of the heart. So: Keep your good memories 24FPS and all the best! And you Hairball rock on. Keep your enthusiasm. You always sound like the Stones have just started. And I like that.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 21, 2019 20:28

Public Enemy opened for U2 in 92 at Dodger Stadium.

Date: August 21, 2019 21:08

I assume everyone is aware of this still style of seating for a very large percentage of the sections.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 21, 2019 21:59

The Stones are still touring, they are playing well, and I am most thankful.
They may be older in years than many fans, but they are much younger than
the whiners. Parking is a problem at the Rose Bowl? JFC.
I'll be there tomorrow and I already know I'll have a great time, no matter what.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 21, 2019 22:17

I agree that the bench seating sorta sucks if you can't afford pit or floor. But is parking or public trans at the Rose Bowl any worse than Metlife (NJ) or FedEx (DC)? It just seems odd to use that as an excuse to skip a show within driving distance of your home base. I went to all the east coast shows within a three hour drive.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: August 21, 2019 23:10

Kennedy

I live in Pasadena, about 2 miles from Old Town and the Rose Bowl. Pasadena does events right when it comes to safety...not to mention these parts of Pasadena being safe areas in general.

Logistics is another story entirely. I hate events at the Rose Bowl, as it sits down in a canyon with limited single lane roads in/out.

To give you an idea of how much I despise Rose Bowl events (again I live 2 miles away), and I AM NOT GOING TO THIS SHOW... See ya'll in Phoenix!!

I agree that going to the Rose Bowl is hard work. I've been to concerts and football games there and we usually parked at the venue. This time I'm going solo and therefore don't have to acquiesce to anyone else's wishes. I loathe paying for parking and also slogging along in concert traffic. I always look for free off-site parking when I go to a concert. It doesn't bother me to hike a couple of miles and when I finally get back to my car I can just get in and drive away without sitting in traffic.

So, my question: Is there anywhere I can park in Pasadena that's free all day so I can leave my car from early afternoon until after I get back from the concert?

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: August 21, 2019 23:52

Does anybody know what time the box office open in pasadena? Thanx they say 1:00 p.m.can't be? Any info greatly appreciated!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 22, 2019 00:57

MKjan
I'll be there tomorrow and I already know I'll have a great time, no matter what.

Good for you. I'll even overlook your whining about whiners.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 22, 2019 01:10

stonesfrkk

Does anybody know what time the box office open in pasadena?

3:30pm according to the FAQ: Rose Bowl Stadium (PDF).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 22, 2019 01:19

Houston, do you read - the Hairball has landed...
Touchdown at the Pasadena Sheraton from Ventura after maneuvering through the nasty, snarly, ugly L.A. traffic via the 118, the 5, and finally the 134.
Never gets easy driving through all that crap, and it's not even close to rush hour. Used to commute back and forth from Ventura all the way to Claremont for Grad school, so in that context today's drive was a piece of cake.
But enough of that misery - time to go eat some tacos and maybe run into some Rolling Stones. Over and out! winking smileythumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 22, 2019 01:24

thumbs up
Have a great time Hairball!

Say hey to Dave the merch truck driver for me if you see him cool smiley

Date: August 22, 2019 02:17

likecats
Kennedy

I live in Pasadena, about 2 miles from Old Town and the Rose Bowl. Pasadena does events right when it comes to safety...not to mention these parts of Pasadena being safe areas in general.

Logistics is another story entirely. I hate events at the Rose Bowl, as it sits down in a canyon with limited single lane roads in/out.

To give you an idea of how much I despise Rose Bowl events (again I live 2 miles away), and I AM NOT GOING TO THIS SHOW... See ya'll in Phoenix!!

I agree that going to the Rose Bowl is hard work. I've been to concerts and football games there and we usually parked at the venue. This time I'm going solo and therefore don't have to acquiesce to anyone else's wishes. I loathe paying for parking and also slogging along in concert traffic. I always look for free off-site parking when I go to a concert. It doesn't bother me to hike a couple of miles and when I finally get back to my car I can just get in and drive away without sitting in traffic.

So, my question: Is there anywhere I can park in Pasadena that's free all day so I can leave my car from early afternoon until after I get back from the concert?

I can’t think of anywhere in the immediate area. Pasadena is pretty good about making sure they get their parking revenue in the surrounding areas. My suggestion would be to find a neighborhood a few miles east, and grab an Uber to drop you close enough the walk down.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 22, 2019 02:48

Hairball
Houston, do you read - the Hairball has landed...
Touchdown at the Pasadena Sheraton from Ventura after maneuvering through the nasty, snarly, ugly L.A. traffic via the 118, the 5, and finally the 134.
Never gets easy driving through all that crap, and it's not even close to rush hour. Used to commute back and forth from Ventura all the way to Claremont for Grad school, so in that context today's drive was a piece of cake.
But enough of that misery - time to go eat some tacos and maybe run into some Rolling Stones. Over and out! winking smileythumbs up

smiling smiley

Date: August 22, 2019 03:21

24FPS
MKjan

You caviled, but that's ok.

Date: August 22, 2019 03:22

MisterDDDD
thumbs up
Have a great time Hairball!

Say hey to Dave the merch truck driver for me if you see him cool smiley

I thought I saw Dave in the slow lane on the freeway handing out t-shirts to motorists passing him.
I honked and waved at him, but the guy flipped me off...definitely not Dave!

Date: August 22, 2019 04:19

Hairball: HB, does Mrs. Hairball diggin this or just along for the ride(s)?

I can't wait for the show and I'm not even going.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 22, 2019 04:28

Enjoy tomorrow! I'll be back in Chicago for Maiden tomorrow night so I won't get to follow along. I will say if I could've seen the Stones in any venue this summer, The Rose Bowl would have been #1 choice. May even by the Litho if it is a good one, which buying a lotho for a show I didn't attend would be a first.

Date: August 22, 2019 04:44

shattered

She's gonna be diggin' it at home as she wasn't able to make it - she teaches college, and a new semester just started this week, so no way to escape.
And while I was up in Santa Clara, she and her friend were back in Vegas for their last hurrah before the semester starts. Took her to the Chicago #2 show, and many other Stones shows throughout the years,
and while she loves the Stones, she's not fanatical and understands it's just a "nasty" habit of mine. smiling smiley

Just about to go over and crash the shidoobee party to see a bunch of old friends of mine. Anybody in town wants to party, I've been told it's at Bar Celona 38 E Colorado Blvd in Old Town between 7-10 and probably beyond.

Date: August 22, 2019 06:10

Thanx Irix!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 06:14 by stonesfrkk.

Date: August 22, 2019 06:12

Irix
stonesfrkk

Does anybody know what time the box office open in pasadena?

3:30pm according to the FAQ: Rose Bowl Stadium (PDF).
Thanx Irix, bummer want to line up at noon!

Date: August 22, 2019 06:51

Hairball
shattered

She's gonna be diggin' it at home as she wasn't able to make it - she teaches college, and a new semester just started this week, so no way to escape.
And while I was up in Santa Clara, she and her friend were back in Vegas for their last hurrah before the semester starts. Took her to the Chicago #2 show, and many other Stones shows throughout the years,
and while she loves the Stones, she's not fanatical and understands it's just a "nasty" habit of mine. smiling smiley

Just about to go over and crash the shidoobee party to see a bunch of old friends of mine. Anybody in town wants to party, I've been told it's at Bar Celona 38 E Colorado Blvd in Old Town between 7-10 and probably beyond.

smiling smileyNo way to escape. What a scream! Will be thinkin of you at the beginning of The Rambler.smiling smiley

Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: August 22, 2019 07:41

Getting to the Rose Bowl official Teaser feat.IORR!
[vimeo.com]

Date: August 22, 2019 07:42

Excitement is in the air - local news channels are spreading the joy:

ABC News - The Rolling Stones No Filter tour returns to Rose Bowl

Date: August 22, 2019 07:43

See you at the Rose!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 07:45 by Freejack.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 22, 2019 08:05

MKjan
24FPS
MKjan

Excellent word. Someone's been reading Huxley.

Date: August 22, 2019 20:37

24FPS
MKjan
24FPS
MKjan

Excellent word. Someone's been reading Huxley.

smileys with beer

Date: August 22, 2019 22:11

Good afternoon Stones country!

Nothing like the excitement of the day of a Rolling Stones concert!!

Knowing that in just a few short hours I will get that fix!

Posted by: laurel ()
Date: August 22, 2019 23:59

SEE YOU THERE!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 26, 2019 18:50

Charlie & Darryl at the Hollyhock House - a building in the East Hollywood neighborhood of Los Angeles, California, originally designed by Frank Lloyd Wright - [en.Wikipedia.org] :

[www.Instagram.com] · [www.Instagram.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home