Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Pasadena CA USA (near Los Angeles) 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 21, 2019 04:06

I live here and can't imagine going to see anybody at the Rose Bowl. The entire parking situation will be grueling, and expensive. I can't imagine getting in and out of there without it taking hours. I would skip the encore and run for my car, just to get ahead of the madness. I saw U2 there in upper level seats and it was pointless. You could hardly hear and they seemed a million miles away. Saw the Stones there in '94, and they had the sound way down for Buddy Guy, and I think I saw Public Enemy. They looked like little tiny dolls from where I sat. Good luck!

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: August 21, 2019 04:17

Now there’s an optimist for you! Really traffic keeps you from going? You can park in old town and walk or take the one mile shuttle.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 21, 2019 04:43

FrogSugar
Oh boy, times have sure changed... $40/$50 parking is some bullshit right there. I'd sooner walk an hour to the show and buy an extra shirt or drinks or nothing than feed those toll trolls.

Agreed. If people are paying that, the economy must be firing on all cylinders. But no need to walk an hour - you can walk maybe 30 minutes to free street parking on Lincoln. And if you thought $40/$50 was bad, I saw a sign for $60 in Seattle.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 21, 2019 04:49

That's too bad for you 24FPS, but maybe you're grumpiness is a sign of old age lol- surprised you're not yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" at everybody!
And it's a shame you don't want to go, because the Stones are currently putting on really great shows! Don't take my word for it, read every single review written by the press and fans alike.
Ultimately, a bit of a hassle getting in and out of a stadium shouldn't be a deterrent when the Rolling Stones are in town!
So in reply to your cantankerous vibe, here's a quote Mr.T used to say: "I pity the fool"

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 21, 2019 04:56

The parking costs are stupid but if I pay $40, I can drink beer in the lot for .78 cents per can. Or $14 in the stadium. It all works out, really.

Date: August 21, 2019 05:03

kv2915
The parking costs are stupid but if I pay $40, I can drink beer in the lot for .78 cents per can. Or $14 in the stadium. It all works out, really.

Very wise decision kv2915, and while I won't be drinking or buying any beer in or outside of stadium, I like your way of thinking!
The price of parking is ridiculous pretty much everywhere these days, so you might as well make the most of it.

rogerriffin
Hairball, this was one of the points why i choose this venue for the tour, the history of the stadium (i think is most beautiful than others), also is more cheap for me travel from Mexico to LA than any other of the cities...

Again another wise decision rogerriffin as it's a beautiful stadium in a beautiful part of the world!
When the Stones are in the area, there's an energy like no other, and we'll be able to witness it all just two nights from now!

Date: August 21, 2019 05:37

Hairball
That's too bad for you 24FPS, but maybe you're grumpiness is a sign of old age lol- surprised you're not yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" at everybody!
And it's a shame you don't want to go, because the Stones are currently putting on really great shows! Don't take my word for it, read every single review written by the press and fans alike.
Ultimately, a bit of a hassle getting in and out of a stadium shouldn't be a deterrent when the Rolling Stones are in town!
So in reply to your cantankerous vibe, here's a quote Mr.T used to say: "I pity the fool"

Just like I pity the fools who go. Again, though, if your ears tell you your still listening the Rolling Stones from 20, 25 years ago, then god bless your ears. I don't suppose there would be any negative reviews at this point. Those who moved on from the group after the 2013 concerts, where only Mick Taylor's presence created any 'vibe', like me, haven't looked back. It means novelty means nothing to you. You don't like surprises, and you don't demand musical excellence any longer. Good for you. Have a $20 beer. Listen to Sympanthyforitsonlyrockandrolltumbling for the 900th time. Get excited. Have fun. I'm going to see Pink Martini at the Hollywood Bowl this Sunday night. Booker T is the opening act. To each his own.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 21, 2019 06:40

Hairball
Email w/general info. sent from the Rose Bowl, including snazzy animated video > It's Only Rock'N'Roll

Rolling Stones @ The Rose Bowl August 22, 2019

ROLLING STONES "NO FILTER" TOUR
THURSDAY, AUGUST 22, 2019
ARRIVE EARLY - DON'T RISK MISSING THE CONCERT!

ROLLING STONES WEEKDAY CONCERT IS SOLD OUT!!

Plan to get to the Stadium early - We recommend arriving no later than 5:00 PM on Thursday, August 22nd so you can limit commuter weekday traffic!
Los Angeles traffic is very challenging on the best of days, and having a sold out Rolling Stones Concert could make the drive to the Rose Bowl Stadium a brutal one and even risk missing the show!

KEY TIMING FOR THE ROLLING STONES "NO FILTER" TOUR
Special Guest - KALEO

3:30 PM - Rose Bowl Stadium Parking Opens
3:30 PM - FanFest Opens in Lot 1A
3:30 PM - Park & Ride Shuttle Operations Begins
5:00 PM & 6:30 PM - Rolling Stones VIP Dinner Seatings
5:30 PM - Gates Open
7:30 PM - Concert Begins

THERE IS NO OVERNIGHT PARKING OR OVERNIGHT CAMPING PERMITTED IN THE ARROYO SECO OR ON ROSE BOWL STADIUM PROPERTY.
ROSE BOWL STADIUM PARKING

ROSE BOWL STADIUM BAG POLICY
The Rose Bowl Stadium has implemented a clear bag policy for all events at the Rose Bowl Stadium. We encourage fans to conform to the policy prior to arriving at the Rose Bowl Stadium.
Otherwise large purses and bags must be returned to vehicle or checked in at one of the 2 check-in tents (please note these are not individual lockers) Gate C and Gate N for a fee of $10.
Additionally, fans who plan to check-in their bags or purses, please plan for long lines to check-in your item and for longer lines at the conclusion of the event.

GATE ENTRY POLICY
To minimize hassles and delays at the security check at each gate fans are required to arrive with approved clear bags no larger than 12" x 6" x 12".
All fans will be asked to remove cell phones, cameras, sunglass cases and other large metal objects from their pockets before walking through a metal detector.
If the device detects something, the guest will be checked with a hand-held wand, with further security follow-up, if needed.

Follow the Rose Bowl Stadium on Facebook & Twitter on the day of event to get up to date traffic and parking information @RoseBowlStadium

Still wishin for Happy Hairball.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 21, 2019 06:50

24FPS
Hairball

Just like I pity the fools who go. Again, though, if your ears tell you your still listening the Rolling Stones from 20, 25 years ago, then god bless your ears. I don't suppose there would be any negative reviews at this point. Those who moved on from the group after the 2013 concerts, where only Mick Taylor's presence created any 'vibe', like me, haven't looked back. It means novelty means nothing to you. You don't like surprises, and you don't demand musical excellence any longer. Good for you. Have a $20 beer. Listen to Sympanthyforitsonlyrockandrolltumbling for the 900th time. Get excited. Have fun. I'm going to see Pink Martini at the Hollywood Bowl this Sunday night. Booker T is the opening act. To each his own.

I never said this is the Rolling Stones 20-25 years ago, and I don't think any review or critic who has witnessed these shows have said that either. This is the Rolling Stone state of the art 2019, perhaps a little torn and frayed around the edges, but that doesn't mean it's inferior by any means. I had similar feelings as you after the fantastic 2013 shows as in how can they ever top this? The Zip Code San Diego show sans Taylor confirmed those feelings as did the Desert Trip shows. They weren't horrible, but there was something missing. And then the dismal and infamous *Vegas '16 show where I vowed that was the end of it for me. But reading the rave reviews of the first two legs of No Filter, coupled with listening to multiple boots and viewing hundreds of videos on youtube, I figured it would be foolish to be so stubborn and stuck in my ways such as you seem to be right now. So now having seen the Chicago #2 show, followed by Santa Clara just the other night, I'm thanking my lucky stars I decided to take my chances as the Stones are still rolling and putting on amazing shows! For those who refuse to have an open mind about their current live shows, it's pitiful and you have to almost feel sorry for them.

As for the Stones at the Rose Bowl in '94, I was also there and it was Buddy Guy along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (not Public Enemy as you thought), so must be that your memory is fading as well as your enthusiasm for the Stones? It was a fantastic show as far as I remember, and even though the opening acts might not have been using the Stones sound system, hard to complain when you have two great opening acts such as those.

As for the hassle of getting in and out of the Rose Bowl, it's really not much worse than getting in and out of the Hollywood Bowl. I was at the Rose Bowl just last summer for the Arroyo Festival, and while it wasn't in the stadium itself, there were still tens of thousands of people enjoying the shows on multiple stages in the surrounding area. Getting in and out was a walk in the park, whether by shuttle or simply by taking a 30 minute stroll to and from. If that is too much of a burden for you, understandable I guess

Enjoy Pink Martini and Booker T at the Hollywood Bowl who I'm sure will be great. As you said to each his own, and good luck getting in and out of the Bowl - it's a bitch.

Date: August 21, 2019 07:21

Hairball
24FPS
Hairball

I never said this is the Rolling Stones 20-25 years ago, and I don't think any review or critic who has witnessed these shows have said that either. This is the Rolling Stone state of the art 2019, perhaps a little torn and frayed around the edges, but that doesn't mean it's inferior by any means. I had similar feelings as you after the fantastic 2013 shows as in how can they ever top this? The Zip Code San Diego show sans Taylor confirmed those feelings as did the Desert Trip shows. They weren't horrible, but there was something missing. And then the dismal and infamous *Vegas '16 show where I vowed that was the end of it for me. But reading the rave reviews of the first two legs of No Filter, coupled with listening to multiple boots and viewing hundreds of videos on youtube, I figured it would be foolish to be so stubborn and stuck in my ways such as you seem to be right now. So now having seen the Chicago #2 show, followed by Santa Clara just the other night, I'm thanking my lucky stars I decided to take my chances as the Stones are still rolling and putting on amazing shows! For those who refuse to have an open mind about their current live shows, it's pitiful and you have to almost feel sorry for them.

As for the Stones at the Rose Bowl in '94, I was also there and it was Buddy Guy along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (not Public Enemy as you thought), so must be that your memory is fading as well as your enthusiasm for the Stones? It was a fantastic show as far as I remember, and even though the opening acts might not have been using the Stones sound system, hard to complain when you have two great opening acts such as those.

As for the hassle of getting in and out of the Rose Bowl, it's really not much worse than getting in and out of the Hollywood Bowl. I was at the Rose Bowl just last summer for the Arroyo Festival, and while it wasn't in the stadium itself, there were still tens of thousands of people enjoying the shows on multiple stages in the surrounding area. Getting in and out was a walk in the park, whether by shuttle or simply by taking a 30 minute stroll to and from. If that is too much of a burden for you, understandable I guess

Enjoy Pink Martini and Booker T at the Hollywood Bowl who I'm sure will be great. As you said to each his own, and good luck getting in and out of the Bowl - it's a bitch.

My feeling after 2013 is that they lost it. Keith would never be the same. The Hollywood Bowl is easy. Park at Universal, take the subway down to Hollywood and Highland. It's a haul going uphill, but at the end of the concert it's all downhill back to the subway. Dodger Stadium is terrible too. It was at least two hours getting out of there after seeing the Stone in 2006. (Yes, I think Public Enemy opened for U2 at the Rose Bowl). Never been a Chili Pepper fan. Song or two. Okay. Have fun! I'm sure the setlist will just be chock full of surprises. All one or two of them.

Date: August 21, 2019 07:52

24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball

My feeling after 2013 is that they lost it. Keith would never be the same. The Hollywood Bowl is easy. Park at Universal, take the subway down to Hollywood and Highland. It's a haul going uphill, but at the end of the concert it's all downhill back to the subway. Dodger Stadium is terrible too. It was at least two hours getting out of there after seeing the Stone in 2006. (Yes, I think Public Enemy opened for U2 at the Rose Bowl). Never been a Chili Pepper fan. Song or two. Okay. Have fun! I'm sure the setlist will just be chock full of surprises. All one or two of them.

Again I had a similar feelings as you, but after seeing the current tour, I can admit I was completely wrong. In all honesty and sincerity, Keith is playing better now than he has in years, and the overall sound of the entire band is far superior to what it's been in years. And Ronnie...well he seems to be a completely new man! While you might not be surprised at a majority of the setlist, no doubt you'd be surprised at the power and quality level they're currently performing at. But hey, you can lead a horse to water...and you know the rest.

Thankfully it's not being held at the Coliseum - the entire area leaves alot to be desired to put it mildly, which isn't the case with the surrounding neighborhhod of the beautiful Rose Bowl.

On a final note and speaking of the Hollywood Bowl, I have fond memories of seeing the Stones there both nights in 2005. While the performances themselves might not have been the stuff of legend (they were just good),
to see them in the Hollywood Bowl itself was something to cherish forever.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: August 21, 2019 07:54

It gets problematic if you follow anything obsessively. Yes, the Stones have declined. But yes, you probably went to too many shows, poured over too many setlists, too much footage online, emptied your bank account, and maybe devoted a bit too much of your being to obsessing over them. It rewards you, but it also embitters. I fell out of following the Stones from a Bigger Bang tour to 2016. Feels good to be back. Next week might be my very last show. I'll savor it. It's about renewing your perspective.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: August 21, 2019 07:58

Also, comparison is the thief of joy...

...until you realize that in 2019, the Rolling Stones are still the greatest rock and roll band on Earth.

Date: August 21, 2019 08:07

shattered

Still wishin for Happy Hairball.

[www.youtube.com]

Nice. smiling smiley

Have to say I've almost given up complete hope he'll play Happy this tour with only three shows to go, but admit the thought did cross my mind in Santa Clara when it was time for his set.
"What if..." haha, but it wasn't to be. Instead we were gifted with a beautiful You Got the Silver and a solid Before They Make Me Run.
If he plays Happy this late in the tour, it will be nothing short of a miracle....never say never...winking smiley

Date: August 21, 2019 08:19

cyclist
Also, comparison is the thief of joy...

...until you realize that in 2019, the Rolling Stones are still the greatest rock and roll band on Earth.

And who is exactly battling with them for that title? Rock bands simply don't matter anymore. It would be like declaring yourself the Greatest Big Band in the world in 1985. There weren't any left!

Date: August 21, 2019 08:26

Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball

Again I had a similar feelings as you, but after seeing the current tour, I can admit I was completely wrong. In all honesty and sincerity, Keith is playing better now than he has in years, and the overall sound of the entire band is far superior to what it's been in years. And Ronnie...well he seems to be a completely new man! While you might not be surprised at a majority of the setlist, no doubt you'd be surprised at the power and quality level they're currently performing at. But hey, you can lead a horse to water...and you know the rest.

Thankfully it's not being held at the Coliseum - the entire area leaves alot to be desired to put it mildly, which isn't the case with the surrounding neighborhhod of the beautiful Rose Bowl.

On a final note and speaking of the Hollywood Bowl, I have fond memories of seeing the Stones there both nights in 2005. While the performances themselves might not have been the stuff of legend (they were just good),

I was there at the Bowl in 2005. That's when I first noticed the slippage. I thought I detected it on the Licks Tour, but attributed it to an off night. It was a fun night, but not exactly electric. They played Get Off of My Cloud in waltz time, when I wanted it full bore like on Got Live If You Want It. Maybe they are better in 2019 than they have been. It's about time. They've been on the road every year since 2012. They should be on fire by now. You can only hear the same songs so many times before they lose any luster, or attachment to their time. And face it, they have no sense of adventure. One, maybe two songs aren't set in stone. Should I be like one of those monkeys that jumps up at the first chords of Honky Tonk Women, like they've never heard it live before? I love the Stones. I thought they were great live, through '99. The last 20 years have been a version of the Stones.

Date: August 21, 2019 08:35

24FPS
Should I be like one of those monkeys that jumps up at the first chords of Honky Tonk Women, like they've never heard it live before?

Lol no, but if they play Monkey Man as they did at Chicago #2, it's mandatory to jump up no matter how many times you've heard it - I know I did!thumbs up

Posted by: rustytrinket ()
Date: August 21, 2019 09:19

SELLING: 2 Pasadena Lucky Dip tickets (if not pit) -OR- 2 Floor Seats (if Lucky Dips are pit)

Hi all. Going to try and simplify this as best as possible. Here’s my situation:

I bought 2 floor seats (section A, Row 14) since I couldn’t swing pit and 2 Lucky Dips (hoping for pit).

Two family members who were in agreed that they would take the tickets that were furthest from the stage. If my Lucky Dips drew pit, they’d sit on the floor and they’d pay me back face value for those. If my Lucky Dips did NOT draw pit, they’d take those and pay me face value for them. No big deal, all fun. Well... family emergency came up. They can’t go anymore.

My offer to anyone interested: same applies. Floor seats total were $906.75. If my Lucky Dips draw pit, I’ll let my floor seats go for $800 flat (merch on me). If my Lucky Dips are not pit, I’ll let those go for face value ($85) regardless of where they are (hey you win there too).

We will meet up at the show. Cash or Venmo/PayPal works (in person). Planning on picking up Lucky Dips around 4 pm.

Message me here or email me at brascoFS@gmail.com. Let me know your username on this forum if you email.

Cheers!

PS- Apologies if this is a bit unusual. Just putting this out there to give IORR members the opportunity.smileys with beer

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 21, 2019 10:14

24FPS
I live here and can't imagine going to see anybody at the Rose Bowl. The entire parking situation will be grueling, and expensive. I can't imagine getting in and out of there without it taking hours. I would skip the encore and run for my car, just to get ahead of the madness. I saw U2 there in upper level seats and it was pointless. You could hardly hear and they seemed a million miles away. Saw the Stones there in '94, and they had the sound way down for Buddy Guy, and I think I saw Public Enemy. They looked like little tiny dolls from where I sat. Good luck!

Posted by: laurel ()
Date: August 21, 2019 11:14

2014Slayer
2014Slayer
laurel
One question about tickets with the original dates. A rep at Ticketmaster told me that I need to bring my order number, photo ID, last 4 digits of the credit card I used, and go to Will Call an hour before the show, and they will trade them in for new tickets. Has anyone had to do this at any of the shows yet? I think he is wrong. Thanks!

What? I didn't hear anything about that, are you sure? I will try to call ticketmaster to ask.

Spoke with Ticketmaster and they said original tickets for original dates are honored as is, no need to exchange them.

Thank you so much for double checking! I knew that guy was wrong. I've never heard of anyone having to do this. I like your name, by the way...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 21, 2019 13:30

Song Vote Pasadena, Rose Bowl: [iorr.org] -- [RollingStones.com] .

"We’re down to the last three US shows on this leg of the tour! Cast your vote for which song the Stones will play in Pasadena tomorrow night - we’ve got some absolute classics for you to choose from!"

[Twitter.com] · [www.Facebook.com] · [www.Instagram.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-21 22:30 by Irix.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 21, 2019 14:26

Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball

+1 on your spot on analysis of the condition and shape of Keith and the band , of which I seen with my own eyes and ears during 3 shows early this tour . Better playing and better overall performance and better singing by Mick as well !

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: August 21, 2019 16:56

I know bv doesn’t censor posts for negativity but I’d be supportive of cleaning some of 24FPS’s crap off of here. Thanks Hairball for engaging, glad someone had the energy to tell him how it is and I always enjoy reading your posts.

If tomorrow is anything like Levi’s on Sunday we are going to have an awesome show! It’s 2019, the Stones are wrapping up another stadium tour of the States, and the crowds and the band are loving it!!!!

Fingers crossed for a SFM opener...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-21 16:57 by erbissell.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 21, 2019 17:40

It's not just the band that is playing better than Zip Code and arguably since 1999-03. The No Filter production/staging and loud in-your-face guitars definitely add to the magic we are witnessing (I like the phrase shock and awe). Even the warhorses sound almost fresh to me and MR alone is the greatness we want to re-experience over and over; like the thrill ride at the amusement park you want to get right back on again.

If this is the last time in the US, I will be forever grateful that I got to see them 4 times playing at this level for a final lasting memory of the band I've loved and seen over 100 times since 1972.

Have fun tomorrow.

HBK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-21 22:09 by HouseBoyKnows.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: August 21, 2019 18:05

erbissell
I know bv doesn’t censor posts for negativity but I’d be supportive of cleaning some of 24FPS’s crap off of here. Thanks Hairball for engaging, glad someone had the energy to tell him how it is and I always enjoy reading your posts.

If tomorrow is anything like Levi’s on Sunday we are going to have an awesome show! It’s 2019, the Stones are wrapping up another stadium tour of the States, and the crowds and the band are loving it!!!!

freedom of speech freedom of opinion.

Date: August 21, 2019 18:28

tumbled
erbissell

Yes - speaking words of wisdom, let it be..........
And 24FPS isn't a bad guy from what I know of him on this board - opinionated yes, but aren't we all.
Just seemed a bit odd in this thread to rain on the parade that's just days away when everyone's positive, excited, and gearing up for the big celebration.
Reminds me of the Grinch That Stole Christmas, but ultimately failed and in the end had a big heart after all joining in on the festivities.
While 24FPS might be stuck in his crotchety ways and refuses to see the light and join the party, deep down he is a big Rolling Stones fan.
And so be it, it's only rock'n'roll, and almost everyone still likes it - including the Grinch!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 21, 2019 18:34

tumbled
erbissell

That all fine and dandy , BUT this is BV's and it is up to his discretion and a word of caution about subjects not directly involved with the Rolling Stones and as BV has often stated that he doesn't like bummer topics like politics .

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 21, 2019 19:15

smiling smileyPlease get some real short preshow crowd shots similar to this.hot smiley

before concert AC/DC Warsaw 2015

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 21, 2019 20:19

Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball

I’m actually in agreement with both of you. First, I am in COMPLETE agreement about the Rose Bowl. I live in Pasadena, and as of now, I do not have plans to go. Sole reason is the venue. I have opted for Phoenix instead. However, I may still end up going to the Rose Bowl, because a good ticket has surfaced. Still on the fence.

And regarding Hairball’s summary, I had the same exact experience you describe. When I saw the infamous Mick Taylor 4-song LA show in 2013, I couldn’t imagine any new tours being anything but a letdown from that. San Diego 2015 supported that, because something was indeed missing without MT (especially since they were celebrating Sticky Fingers on that tour), and I was in Vegas for the cancelled show, and opted not to stay for the 2nd show. Based on reviews, I was happy with the decision. At that point, I presumed it all to be over...for me anyways. But, my hopes are high for the Phoenix show, based on the great reviews from the tour so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-21 20:23 by Kennedy.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 21, 2019 20:21

And having been to many events at both the Rose Bowl and Hollywood Bowl, there is no comparison. Hollywood Bowl is a walk in the park compared to the Rose Bowl shitshow.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home