Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28
Re: Maybe a private show coming up?
Date: July 10, 2019 15:39

Well hard to make this decision but pulling the plug on this trip/show based on latest weather alerts.

"Tropical Storm Barry Likely to Form in Gulf of Mexico, May Become a Hurricane; Flooding, Surge, Wind Threats Ahead"

Hotel has been great about it, have ticket insurance too. Now to see if TM cancels/refunds. My bet is traffic will not be getting into the city after Friday.

Disappointing after rescheduling our show from MD/DC to NOLA to be running out of luck. The two FL dates are the only ones left we could even get to, not likely to happen. FL outside in late July/August is just not worth it.

First tour we have missed since 1997 but when luck turns it really turns.

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Re: New Orleans LA USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: July 10, 2019 15:44

For those already or coming into town, I'd recommend the following shows in addition to anything at Preservation Hall...

Tonight (10th)
Treme Brass Band at Bullet's
Mem Shannon at Bamboula's

Tomorrow (11th)
Corey Henry and the Treme Funktet at Vaughan's
Soul Rebels at Le Bon Temps Roule
Sunpie Barnes at Chickie Wah Wah
Johnny Vidacovich at the Maple Leaf

Friday (12th)
George Porter Jr at the Maple Leaf
John Papa Gros at Tipitina's
Kermit Ruffins at Blue Nile
101 Runners at dba

Saturday (13th)
Soul Rebels at dba
Kermit Ruffins at Little Gem Saloon
Mem Shannon at Bamboula's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-10 15:48 by SecondSet.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: July 10, 2019 15:46

Oh, and certainly Ellis Marsalis Friday and Dr. Michael White Saturday at Snug Harbor; Jason Marsalis tomorrow too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-10 15:47 by SecondSet.

Date: July 10, 2019 15:48

Should be good riding out Hurricane music...drinking smiley

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 10, 2019 16:10

The issue with this disturbance is if it gets going and has any center of circulation, aka COC, it will go over the Gulf Stream loop and very likely turn into a category 2 hurricane.

That's what Katrina and Rita did in 2005.

This doesn't have their forward momentum to build up a gargantuan storm surge like Katrina did as a category 5 in the GOM. Those were tropical in origin, this one started over Georgia. The last time that happened was in 1960 or 62.

Gulf Stream loop eddy:
[earth.nullschool.net]

Most models have it going a bit west of New Orleans, which means lots of rain.

Date: July 10, 2019 16:58

MidnightDevilRambler
Well hard to make this decision but pulling the plug on this trip/show based on latest weather alerts.

"Tropical Storm Barry Likely to Form in Gulf of Mexico, May Become a Hurricane; Flooding, Surge, Wind Threats Ahead"

Hotel has been great about it, have ticket insurance too. Now to see if TM cancels/refunds. My bet is traffic will not be getting into the city after Friday.

Disappointing after rescheduling our show from MD/DC to NOLA to be running out of luck. The two FL dates are the only ones left we could even get to, not likely to happen. FL outside in late July/August is just not worth it.

First tour we have missed since 1997 but when luck turns it really turns.

Thanks,

I am pulling the plug also. But now going to do Miami for sure. I had LD's for this one so I am only out $75 skins.

Date: July 10, 2019 16:59

GasLightStreet
The issue with this disturbance is if it gets going and has any center of circulation, aka COC, it will go over the Gulf Stream loop and very likely turn into a category 2 hurricane.

That's what Katrina and Rita did in 2005.

This doesn't have their forward momentum to build up a gargantuan storm surge like Katrina did as a category 5 in the GOM. Those were tropical in origin, this one started over Georgia. The last time that happened was in 1960 or 62.

Gulf Stream loop eddy:
[earth.nullschool.net]

Most models have it going a bit west of New Orleans, which means lots of rain.

Yes lots and lots of rain possible

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: July 10, 2019 17:10

jump I will take your lucky dip

Date: July 10, 2019 18:03

artedm
jump I will take your lucky dip

I would be more than happy to let you have them ....there is 2. Not sure how to do it

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 10, 2019 18:31

The streets in New Orleans are flooded this morning, as there has been lots of rain and thunders starting last night.

I see cars stuck in the streets all around, streets blocked by barriers due to water, rubbish bins and all sorts of other stuff floating in the streets, and people walk with water to their knees in order to get from one street to another. Most stay inside this morning. The most experienced have rubber boots to their knees.

Severe thunderstorms hit New Orleans: See photos, videos of street flooding, waterspouts

Flash Flood Emergency Declared for New Orleans as Streets Take on Water

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-10 18:35 by bv.

Date: July 10, 2019 18:55

The latest news and BV's photos tells me we made the right decision.

"The National Hurricane Center predicts Tropical Storm Barry will form in the Gulf of Mexico by Thursday and strengthen to a hurricane by Saturday, when it is expected to make landfall in Louisiana."

Only 1ft left of flood protection from the river is cutting it too close for me.

[www.cnn.com]

Oh well, stay safe and dry down there.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-10 19:00 by MidnightDevilRambler.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 10, 2019 18:57

If anyone hears more about not allowing traffic into city please post! After speaking with City Hall, Superdome, LADOT and local precincts today everyone is non-committal about what happens/doesn't happen with road travel (which I understand) .. Superdome said will post on website if show plans change (they haven't for now) and latest reports show it making landfall west of NOLA so I plan on coming still but trying to decide if I should try and drive in before Saturday

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-10 18:59 by snoopy2.

Date: July 10, 2019 19:01

snoopy2
If anyone hears more about not allowing traffic into city please post! After speaking with City Hall, Superdome, LADOT and local precincts today everyone is non-committal about what happens/doesn't happen with road travel (which I understand) .. Superdome said will post on website if show plans change (they haven't for now) and latest reports show it making landfall west of NOLA so I plan on coming still but trying to decide if I should try and drive in before Saturday

landfall west puts the brunt of the wind and rain over NOLA. Stay safe.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: glmmr_twn ()
Date: July 10, 2019 19:40

Bailing on New Orleans as well. Was really looking forward to this trip, too!

Date: July 10, 2019 19:58

For a couple of hours since 10am or so there has been less rain and thunderstorms, so that some may work on getting their stuck cars off the streets, not really succeding on it, but there will be thunderstorms all week in New Orleans. And right as I say this, the thunders are back.

USA Today report this morning:

Tropical depression or storm expected to form along Gulf Coast, forecast to hit land as hurricane

The second storm of the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season is expected to form Wednesday or Thursday along the Gulf Coast.

The weather system, currently spinning off the coast of the Florida Panhandle, could either form as a tropical depression or a tropical storm. If the depression's winds reach 39 mph, it would become Tropical Storm Barry.

It's then expected to hit the Gulf Coast as a hurricane on Saturday, the National Hurricane Center said.

"This system has the potential to become a dangerous hurricane," the National Weather Service in Lake Charles, Louisiana, said on its Facebook page on Tuesday. "The threat for damaging winds and deadly storm surge is increasing."

The storm could bring more heavy rain and flooding to New Orleans, which was inundated with up to half a foot of rain on Wednesday morning, triggering a flash flood emergency for the area. A tornado or waterspout was also spotted near the University of New Orleans, WWL-TV said.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 10, 2019 20:03

What a bummer...stay safe everyone.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 10, 2019 20:39

BV-I would start making plans to get the hell out of there.the gulf coast is not a place to gamble during a storm.
After Katrina they fortified the levees with the assumption the surges would hit with the water levels at 8 feet,they are 16 right now.
Barring a miracle the Show Sunday is not happening.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2019 20:45

Wow...eye popping smiley...stay safe, and get the heck out of there!!!!

Date: July 10, 2019 20:46

I hope the Stones are able to get their stage / equipment out of there in time for to get to the next show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-10 20:47 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: July 10, 2019 21:02

jumpontopofmebaby
I hope the Stones are able to get their stage / equipment out of there in time for to get to the next show.

Hard to say if the show will go as scheduled. It's predicted the river will reach or exceed the average levee height of 20' on Saturday.

At some point you assume traffic will be closed off around the metro area.

Posted by: muncy23 ()
Date: July 10, 2019 21:04

coloradocanyons
jumpontopofmebaby

Hard to say if the show will go as scheduled. It's predicted the river will reach or exceed the average levee height of 20' on Saturday.

They may have to rehearse again before Jacksonville. I think if they would have already called off the show tho if they thought it was that bad. Just my opinion.

Date: July 10, 2019 21:19

muncy23
coloradocanyons
jumpontopofmebaby

They may have to rehearse again before Jacksonville. I think if they would have already called off the show tho if they thought it was that bad. Just my opinion.

Maybe ....but it has happened very quick.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 10, 2019 21:24

Cancellation looking likely. Stay safe everyone.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Date: July 10, 2019 21:27

Time for a nice club show somewhere....how about a small town in Southwest

Missouri!

Like the small town I live in!

Date: July 10, 2019 21:31

coloradocanyons
jumpontopofmebaby

Exactly-if the water levels are at capacity you have absolutely no room for a surge.
Katrina had surges of 13 ft with the water levels at 3 ft.and it destroyed the city.
With this storm even a foot or two and the city floods,add to that it’s a slow mover.it won’t just hit and run but linger dropping more and more rain.

The Stones have to make a decision,wait a day and see if a miracle happens and the storm moves or send the crew and equipment into a potentially very dangerous situation.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 10, 2019 21:32

Spent past hour talking w friends, officials, hotels etc down there etc and based on those conversations I’m still all in. If the show goes on, I plan to be there smiling smiley

Date: July 10, 2019 21:42

snoopy2
Spent past hour talking w friends, officials, hotels etc down there etc and based on those conversations I’m still all in. If the show goes on, I plan to be there smiling smiley

In general,what are the locals thinking snoop?

Posted by: muncy23 ()
Date: July 10, 2019 21:45

snoopy2

Good for you. I would be all in too.

Date: July 10, 2019 21:55

snoopy2

Remember they make more shows but not more fans.

Take care.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: July 10, 2019 22:49

The hotel "Aloft" a few blocks from where I stay got water into their reseption. I did a walk a few blocks at noon, it is not raining much now. Large buildings have signs on the doors saying "Branch closed due to weather". I guess people can't drive, get to work, traffic problems. Most cars stuck in streets have been towed now.

My hotel just gave me a paper on my door saying sorry for limited services. I don't need much room service anyway. Well this is just the preludium, the big worries arrive in two days, on Saturday. Meanwhile, there will be more thunderstorms.

I don't really worry so much about the shows. I worry more about the people who live here in the Golf Coast who are not safe living like me. I am on the 12th floor in a large hotel, quite safe. Those who live at street and water level are those we should be worried about now.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home