Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28
Re: New Orleans LA USA 2019 travel and show info
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2019 15:34

lem motlow
GasLightStreet
lem motlow
Thanks BV,any news on the Stones crew and equipment,if they have arrived,where they may be etc? This is a tricky situation to say the least.
Appreciate your thoughts on the locals,they’re some tough people though,Cajuns.

New Orleans isn't Cajun. That's a misnomer. It's Creole. Cajuns are a bit west, where Barry will go.

Gas light, are you from the area or have people there?

I used to live in New Orleans. I live across the lake now.

This kind of stuff happens often.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: July 11, 2019 15:35

Yes, I got the direction exactly backwards, but the point remains that, whatever the direction, most of the water gets dumped East of the storm (which itself keeps tracking East) into the river basin, while the counterclockwise movement will drive much of the anticipated storm surge from the Gulf, opposing the outflow of the already-high-and-will-get-higher river.

I'm guessing that a decision will be made today or Friday morning at the latest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 15:45 by SecondSet.

Date: July 11, 2019 15:43

Katrina had a 41 foot surge in Waveland, MS.

Date: July 11, 2019 16:04

GasLightStreet
Katrina had a 41 foot surge in Waveland, MS.

Holy Moly!

Date: July 11, 2019 16:17

You won't find that anywhere officially. I got that from the phone company. Slidell, LA got a 20 foot surge, on the weak side of Katrina. Biloxi was around 28.

The highest official storm surge is 27.8 feet at Pass Christian, Mississippi for Katrina. The second highest is... at the same place for Camille with 22.8 feet.

No matter what, 20 feet is A LOT OF WATER, especially when it's got forward movement.

The northern Gulf Coast is similar to the Bay Of Bengal.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 11, 2019 16:27

GasLightStreet
You won't find that anywhere officially. I got that from the phone company. Slidell, LA got a 20 foot surge, on the weak side of Katrina. Biloxi was around 28.

The highest official storm surge is 27.8 feet at Pass Christian, Mississippi for Katrina. The second highest is... at the same place for Camille with 22.8 feet.

No matter what, 20 feet is A LOT OF WATER, especially when it's got forward movement.

The northern Gulf Coast is similar to the Bay Of Bengal.

What’s your take on the show Sunday,cancel or no?

Date: July 11, 2019 16:41

The disturbance has dry air giving it some trouble. Some models have it getting up to a category 2 hurricane before land falling near Morgan City sometime Saturday evening. If that is what happens, New Orleans would get some rain and a nice breeze. No reason to cancel the show.

So far it's just a mess. People look up and see clear blue sky... and we're under a flood watch.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 11, 2019 16:41

I’m in Detroit hoping my home in Louisiana stays dry, and that the Superdome show isn’t affected. Fingers crossed for everyone.

Date: July 11, 2019 17:01

Last comments from a longtime Southern USA resident.

The upper right quadrant is what gets hammered the most in a hurricane with wind rain and storm surge. Right where NOLA sits in the path.

Secondly the city and state as of this morning declared a state of emergency

Lastly unless the Stones are using helicopters to get fans to the event all 200 floodgates will be closed by Friday for the duration of the storm. No way to drive in or out of the city.

Heading to SC beaches where it’s safer..

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: July 11, 2019 17:43

MidnightDevilRambler
Lastly unless the Stones are using helicopters to get fans to the event all 200 floodgates will be closed by Friday for the duration of the storm. No way to drive in or out of the city.

That's an exaggeration of erroneous proportions. I'm guessing you didn't read the entire article - the floodgates will only stop traffic where the flood gates are. That has nothing to do with the major roads. No one is driving through those areas to get to the city yet alone to the show.

If the city is flooded from rain, which it very well could be... that's a bit different.

Closures will eventually shut down all rail and road traffic through gated areas.

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 11, 2019 18:43

Rolling Stones Superdome concert still on despite threat of Tropical Storm Barry

BY KEITH SPERA | Staff writer Jul 11, 2019

The Rolling Stones concert scheduled for Sunday night at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome is still on for now, despite Tropical Storm Barry's potential impact on south Louisiana this weekend.

The New Orleans area may experience heavy rain and flooding from Tropical Storm Barry, which may increase in strength to a Category 1 hurricane, making landfall west of the city sometime on Saturday.

Depending on the potential impact, the status of the Rolling Stones concert could still change.

"Everyone is watching the weather forecasts very closely," Superdome general manager Alan Freeman said Thursday morning. "If there is a change of plans we will get the word out right away."

Meanwhile, the load-in and construction of the Stones' massive stage at the Superdome is already underway. Several days are needed to erect the stage and its towering video walls.

If the New Orleans show were at an outdoor stadium, as are most other stops on the band's 17-date No Filter tour, stormy weather could interfere with the construction of the stage.

Because the Dome is enclosed, the Stones' road crew can build the stage in a rain-free environment and have it ready to go for the scheduled show time.

The Rolling Stones performed at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts on July 7; the Superdome show on July 14 is the next stop on the tour's itinerary. The members of the band have reportedly already arrived in New Orleans to spend a few days in the city ahead of Sunday's show.

The Rolling Stones were originally slated to perform on May 2 at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. That show was cancelled, and the rest of the No Filter tour postponed, so singer Mick Jagger could undergo surgery to replace a valve in his heart.

The Superdome date was added to the itinerary of the rescheduled tour. It will be the Rolling Stones' first New Orleans concert in 25 years. The band last performed in the city at the Superdome in October 1994 during the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk is slated to open for the Stones on Sunday. Neville has long been affiliated with the Stones camp, and spent several years in Stones guitarist Keith Richards' solo band, the X-Pensive Winos.

On Thursday morning, Neville boarded a plane bound for New York. He is scheduled to perform in New York on Thursday and in Wyoming on Friday, then fly back to New Orleans on Saturday ahead of Sunday's show at the Superdome.

"As far as I know, everything's a go" for Sunday, he said before boarding his flight Thursday.

Tickets to Sunday's concert are still available through Ticketmaster, starting at $69 plus service charges. Resale sites have tickets listed for less than face value.

[www.nola.com]

Date: July 11, 2019 19:48

On a positive note, the rainfall amounts projected for Saturday have been decreasing today. According to weather underground this morning had Saturday at over 5 inches of rain but now stands at 3.92 Still a lot but at least trending in the right direction.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: July 11, 2019 19:48

looks like first rain out... or not.

Date: July 11, 2019 19:58

I guess tongue in cheek humor was a bit too subtle....
I get the part about interstates and major roads.

No Stones show is worth getting caught in a flooding city and losing a car at a minimum.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2019 20:10

CNN spreading the fear...

Hope the show goes on, but not if there's a risk for everyone attending.
Thoughts are with all the locals, and all who are visiting the area.

If it happens, could be one of the greatest shows this tour.

Date: July 11, 2019 20:25

Hairball
CNN spreading the fear...

Hope the show goes on, but not if there's a risk for everyone attending.
Thoughts are with all the locals, and all who are visiting the area.

I was thinking the same thing....could go either way. The Stones dig in and make it special for those who stuck it out. Or they make it short and sweet.

Hoping for the first for the people that go if it happens.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 11, 2019 20:28

Hairball

... and easily the least attended?

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 20:33

A third member of my party canceled (understandably) and I said I'd take the ticket back since they were my idea to start with, no harm no foul..

Sooo, if show happens I now have an extra Pit ticket (which makes 3 extra tickets I'm now carrying/eating cost of, this show is by far my most expensive!)

I will be trying to get at least something back for it, so if any of you make it there and want Pit AND show goes on stay in touch smiling smiley

-Matt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 20:40 by snoopy2.

Date: July 11, 2019 21:03

snoopy2
A third member of my party canceled (understandably) and I said I'd take the ticket back since they were my idea to start with, no harm no foul..

Sooo, if show happens I now have an extra Pit ticket (which makes 3 extra tickets I'm now carrying/eating cost of, this show is by far my most expensive!)

I will be trying to get at least something back for it, so if any of you make it there and want Pit AND show goes on stay in touch smiling smiley

-Matt

Trade one for a life jacket!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 11, 2019 22:06

Posted on Keith's instagram page today.
[www.instagram.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 22:17

Deltics
[www.instagram.com]

I hadn't heard this one before.. thanks smiling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 11, 2019 22:37

snoopy2
Deltics
[www.instagram.com]

I hadn't heard this one before.. thanks smiling smiley

It was recorded during the sessions for A Bigger Bang and a CD was sold at Stones gigs during the 2005 US tour to help raise funds for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. .

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 22:44 by Deltics.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 11, 2019 22:46

This show did not sell well so I hope for everyone involved they are going to postpone it.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 11, 2019 23:00

See you Sunday in the Crescent City! Don't forget to create your custom Stones playlist for the journey: [nofilterplaylist.rollingstones.com] #stonesnofilter

[twitter.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 11, 2019 23:14

bye bye johnny

See you Sunday in the Crescent City! Don't forget to create your custom Stones playlist for the journey: [nofilterplaylist.rollingstones.com] #stonesnofilter

[twitter.com]

Mostly brutal replies to this begging/demanding a postponement.
Problem is, this one wouldn't get rescheduled I don't believe, likely just cancelled.

Date: July 11, 2019 23:47

DeanGoodman
Hairball

... and easily the least attended?

Probably would have been that way regardless of the weather due to poor sales, although Glendale and it's poor sales could match the low attendance.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 11, 2019 23:58

I just got this paper on my door to the hotel room here in NOLA, see below.
I am off to get some food before nearby services close down.
Already many ground floor services are closed, I will support those who are brave and keep open nearby.
The city has been working hard securing the river barriers.
Sandbags are placed in front of entrances where water is expected.
Both Wallmarts stores on the main street are closed, like many others.
I would not fly into New Orleans on Saturday, when the weather will be worst.
Also, make sure your location is safe, if you plan to come here.
There is a heavy storm coming.

Bjornulf

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 12, 2019 00:10

bv
I just got this paper on my door to the hotel room here in NOLA, see below.
I am off to get some food before nearby services close down.
Already many ground floor services are closed, I will support those who are brave and keep open nearby.
The city has been working hard securing the river barriers.
Sandbags are placed in front of entrances where water is expected.
Both Wallmarts stores on the main street are closed, like many others.
I would not fly into New Orleans on Saturday, when the weather will be worst.
Also, make sure your location is safe, if you plan to come here.
There is a heavy storm coming.

Sounds scary! All the best to you, Bjornulf and everybody else in town there!

Date: July 12, 2019 00:13

Wow, quite the adventure...STAY SAFE Bjornulf!!!

After reading that letter and watching all the news reports, don't know if I would be that brave, and would probably think hard about getting out of Dodge ASAP.

ps - Hope while you're in California we don't have any more earthquakes - the dust is still settling from last weeks rumblings near and around the epicenter.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 12, 2019 00:23

I heard on the radio that are mandatory evacuations- Is this true?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home