Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: DEFINITELY NOT OT: The worst lyrics EVER in a Stones song
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 29, 2018 18:21

And who could forget;

she grab a handful
and it was painful

Date: October 29, 2018 18:31

bam
I still think “she combs her hair”
I can't help but thinking on cuddling some pubes.

Back in the day, girls wouldn't shave...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 29, 2018 18:57

sorry I dont really listen to lyrics.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 29, 2018 21:19

More Hot Rocks
sorry I dont really listen to lyrics.

I don't really listen to the music ........ grinning smiley

(Sorry - bad attempt at humour) !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 30, 2018 14:24

So maybee we dont ned lyrics on any Stonessong?We can just Get Keith to noodle something,I see alsow BW means that,lyrics don,t mean nothing at all for some people on this board.So maybee next album will be just instrumental?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 30, 2018 14:39

harlem shuffle
So maybee we dont ned lyrics on any Stonessong?We can just Get Keith to noodle something,I see alsow BW means that,lyrics don,t mean nothing at all for some people on this board.So maybee next album will be just instrumental?

Yes, baby comes in mind. Keith likes to sing about babies. Baby, baby, oh, baby, baby. Easy to remember.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 30, 2018 14:40

You need lyrics because a singer needs words to sing.

And in many cases that's all the lyrics are . Words to sing, that work better if they rhyme.

Not every song can also be a work of literature .

Some are...but not every good tune can wait for a wonderfully meaningful lyric.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-30 14:42 by Spud.

Date: October 30, 2018 14:44

harlem shuffle

Nothing's like the bees in May, right..

There are good and bad lyrics in all Stones albums, by Mick AND Keith.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 30, 2018 15:19

Spud

And in many cases that's all the lyrics are . Words to sing, that work better if they rhyme.

Nice Post - Please keep in mind that there are great instrumentals just the same. For example, what about Barry Whites Love Unlimited Orchestra's song "Loves Theme?" I almost fell in the trap of saying "Heaven". smiling smiley

Date: October 30, 2018 15:28

Chris Fountain
Spud

Nice Post - Please keep in mind that there are great instrumentals just the same. For example, what about Barry Whites Love Unlimited Orchestra's song "Loves Theme?" I almost fell in the trap of saying "Heaven". smiling smiley

And the GREATEST Rolling Stones instrumental of them all is ................ ?

Why you foolish people, it is THIS of course ...........

[www.youtube.com]

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

Date: October 30, 2018 15:33

Yep this is worse than missing an answer on Jeopardysmiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-30 17:52 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 30, 2018 18:16

These are pretty lame from Emotional Rescue

I will be your knight in shining armor
Riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger

Date: October 30, 2018 18:18

boogaloojef
These are pretty lame from Emotional Rescue

I will be your knight in shining armor
Riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger

I agree - Chargers are made by Dodge in America not Saudi Arabia. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 30, 2018 20:47

Everything in Emotional Rescue is grotesque, in a purposely fashion. As such, one of the more accomplished, tongue in cheek lyrics Mick ever wrote, in my opinion.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 30, 2018 21:00

Spud

They don't need to be literary masterpieces - a bit of cheerful nonsense or a heartfelt Oh Baby can work just fine - but they shouldn't be so shriekingly ugly that they put you off listening to the music.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 30, 2018 21:47

Green Lady
Spud

They don't need to be literary masterpieces - a bit of cheerful nonsense or a heartfelt Oh Baby can work just fine - but they shouldn't be so shriekingly ugly that they put you off listening to the music.

Exactly.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: October 30, 2018 22:05

“ I frowned at the crumbs of a crust of bread. “

Surely that’s there to rhyme and nothing else.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 30, 2018 22:39

This one by Brian in the early days was simple lyrics and true for lots of people. smiling smiley

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 31, 2018 07:27

>>>>>>It must be very hard for him to get genuine about something in poetry anymore. Hard, but not impossible. He would need to go places that he doesn't seem to want to go anymore.

I think these were the last authentic and believable uplifting lyrics Mick has written:

"Angel In My Heart"

Play upon your heart strings to me
I will sing a strange melody
Dance with me a magic ballet
Stay with me 'til night turns to day
Let me in your dreams

Angel in my heart
Angel in my heart

By a pool of darkening dreams
Love is slowly twisting downstream
Underneath the tortuous trees
Out into the sad, silent seas
Lock me in your arms

Angel in my heart
Angel in my heart

How can I feel, how can I feel love when you're gone
How much sin, how much can true forgiving cost
I'm in your skin, I want to win back what I've lost

I can feel the salt on my skin
I can hear the birds on the wing
I can smell the wood on the fire
I can see the smoke of desire
Let me in your dreams

Angel in my heart
Angel in my heart

Combined with the melody and Mick's phrasing, they are magic.

Angel in my Heart

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 31, 2018 08:55

It’s crazy because they wrote some good stuff on Wandering Spirit and Main Offender and just lost their fvckng minds on Voodoo lounge and Bigger Bang.
I blame the people around them ,especially Don Was.
I’m sure when the band we’re doing their best work they had some really dumb ideas and somebody,Anita,Stu,Bill,Jimmy Miller,at some point just gave a look or came right out and said “that sucks”.
They come off goofy because they are surrounded by goofy people,I mean Chuck Leavell? he’s just a goofy guy.
And Was,how did that idiot sitting there on the floor with his bare feet and headphones saying “yeah,great,awesome guys”get anywhere near The Rolling Stones?
We’ve gone from Stu walking out on a session and saying “they sound like bloody Status Quo”(and this was during Some Girls) to Matt Clifford standing there with this perpetual look of “I can’t believe I’m friends with Mick Jagger”
Sorry but if this clown car is still there I don’t have much hope for the next record.

Date: October 31, 2018 10:17

lem motlow
It’s crazy because they wrote some good stuff on Wandering Spirit and Main Offender and just lost their fvckng minds on Voodoo lounge and Bigger Bang.
I’m sure when the band we’re doing their best work they had some really dumb ideas and somebody,Anita,Stu,Bill,Jimmy Miller,at some point just gave a look or came right out and said “that sucks”.
They come off goofy because they are surrounded by goofy people,I mean Chuck Leavell? he’s just a goofy guy.
And Was,how did that idiot sitting there on the floor with his bare feet and headphones saying “yeah,great,awesome guys”get anywhere near The Rolling Stones?
We’ve gone from Stu walking out on a session and saying “they sound like bloody Status Quo”(and this was during Some Girls) to Matt Clifford standing there with this perpetual look of “I can’t believe I’m friends with Mick Jagger”
Sorry but if this clown car is still there I don’t have much hope for the next record.

grinning smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 31, 2018 11:41

lem motlow
hot smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 31, 2018 11:52

Harlem Shuffler

Since the song, and especially last verse is full of references to the bible (crown with spikes), I always thought it fit in well (Jesus breaking the bread at the table). But maybe I read too much in it.

Date: October 31, 2018 12:03

matxil
Harlem Shuffler

Since the song, and especially last verse is full of references to the bible (crown with spikes), I always thought it fit in well (Jesus breaking the bread at the table). But maybe I read too much in it.

I did that, too! smiling smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 31, 2018 12:10

Bliss
>>>>>>It must be very hard for him to get genuine about something in poetry anymore. Hard, but not impossible. He would need to go places that he doesn't seem to want to go anymore.

I think these were the last authentic and believable uplifting lyrics Mick has written:

"Angel In My Heart"

Play upon your heart strings to me
I will sing a strange melody
Dance with me a magic ballet
Stay with me 'til night turns to day
Let me in your dreams

Angel in my heart
Angel in my heart

By a pool of darkening dreams
Love is slowly twisting downstream
Underneath the tortuous trees
Out into the sad, silent seas
Lock me in your arms

Angel in my heart
Angel in my heart

How much sin, how much can true forgiving cost

I can feel the salt on my skin
I can hear the birds on the wing
I can smell the wood on the fire
I can see the smoke of desire
Let me in your dreams

Angel in my heart
Angel in my heart

Combined with the melody and Mick's phrasing, they are magic.

Angel in my Heart

Truly a beautiful song.the whole album Ws is great.
Jeroen

Date: October 31, 2018 12:41

lem motlow

Abso-fukkin-lutely. Their inner circle has slowly been replaced with sycophants; at key positions. Producer, arranger, confidante. Where Mick and Keith used to be each other's conscience, they now seem to only interact for photos. I can't imagine anymore Mick bringing in a song, and allowing Keith to play with it, and make it his or the band's. I loathe Don Was. And I have always blamed him for Voodoo Lounge. VL is by far my least fave Stones-album.It may come with age, and continued success, where you just don't welcome the challenge anymore. Rick Rubin was the last producer to really work Jagger. Everyone knows "Wandering Spirit" is is best solo album; yet Jagger never speaks well of the producer. With Keith it isn't as cut and dry - he had the young guns of the Winos who were his conscience; but he disbanded them, and "Crosseyed Heart" is not sharp at all.

Date: October 31, 2018 14:55

Deltics
The last time someone started a thread like this it was closed within an hour.

"Completely negativity like "worst" or "most ugly" or "most boring" simply does not maker any sense. Not at all."

Bjornulf

[iorr.org]

THREE DAYS And Counting (almost sounds like a tour name - doesn't it ?) grinning smiley

Date: October 31, 2018 14:57

lem motlow

I love this album, great song-writing from Mick ....... thumbs up

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 31, 2018 15:33

I like VL very much, and the tour was fantastic. Loved the stage clothes and thought they were the best they ever had.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 1, 2018 01:29

The line in "You Got Me Rockin'" about Mick being a butcher cutting the meat. Some of the later lyrics don't fit their station in life or age. I recall Mick singing that on the Voodoo Lounge tour while wearing a long satin frock coat, while making a chopping motion.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home