Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Jethro Tull - Underrated Rockers or Progressive geniuses
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 21, 2018 18:42

It's really been The Anderson Band for a long time now.
The original members were all very good musicians in their own right. But Ian is a real professional, very disciplined and has pretty much managed Tull Enterprises as competently as anyone could. More hands on than Mick, even.
Inevitably, it seems drug use affected some members reliability so out they went. Simple as that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2018 18:47

The last time I saw Ian/Tull live about 20 years ago his voice was very nasally as if he was suffering from a bad cold - almost high pitched as if he inhaled a bit of helium.
But it wasn't a cold as you can hear it on latter studio recordings also - that's just the way his vocals evolved over time. Slightly similar to how Mick tends to sounds at times (the nasal aspect), but to a much greater degree.
I've read some nasty reviews of recent shows from fans and the press calling for him to throw in the towel...kind of sad, but I wouldn't pay to see them in their current state.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 21, 2018 18:55

It never seemed like any of Ian's firings were malicious. In fact, a lot of people left by their own accord, leaving Ian in a lurch where he really could have held grudges. Clive Bunker (original drummer) and Mick Abrahams (original guitarist) left by their own accord, Glenn Cornick (original bassist) was let go for partying, Jeffrey Hammond left on his own, John Evan was fired with a big turnover of people in 1980 like 12 years into the band's career (similar to what Elton John did, which I get, sometimes leaders just think they need to change the band up). Barriemore Barlow left from depression around that same time too. I always liked that all the people that played on the albums I liked from the band were never really just tossed aside or treated unfairly for the most part, because thats pretty rare for a band, especially one with such a charismatic leader who basically everyone is going there to see anyway. Ian didn't have to be loyal but he was. I always thought that was a great quality about him, and good of him as the band contributed a lot to those records.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: October 21, 2018 19:35

Back in 1971 I made C-90 cassettes of my favorite music for travel with a portable cassette player. One of my faves was Sticky Fingers one side and Aqualung on the other.

I also recommend the first 2 Blodwyn Pig albums. BPig was formed by Mick Abrahams after leaving the early JTull lineup.

HBK

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 24, 2018 08:45

Martin Barre on setup and gear:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: October 25, 2018 00:45

LOVE Tull.

Benefit is far and away my favorite album. Very under-rated in my opinion.
Followed closely by Aqualung and Thick as A Brick.

I saw the Aqualung tour and the Thick As A Brick tour. Both were incredible and it will never be better than that for me. However, Anderson's solo shows of the last decade or so feature an incredible set-list.

Most under-rated cut : Too Old To Rock n Roll

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 25, 2018 06:44

I gotta say, I absolutely hated Jethro Tull growing up. Couldn't change the radio channel quick enough when they came on.

Then I happened to see them as an opening act for ELP.

Wow. Absolutely loved it. What a difference seeing them live made. Been a fan ever since.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 25, 2018 06:52

DaveG
The Sicilian
DaveG

I loved that a frontman played the flute, as I also play the flute. I bought Stand Up and learned every flute lick on the record!

I can't think of any other musician for a rock band that played a flute. The only other instance I can relate is Jimi Hendrix at the Winterland in 1968 playing "Are You Experienced" with flutist Virgil Gonzales. Do you know of any others?

I saw the Moody Blues in ‘69 and one of the band played flute on one or two songs.

Marshall Tucker Band has a lot of flute in many songs. Ann Wilson of Heart also used one on occasion.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: October 25, 2018 14:40

kovach
DaveG
The Sicilian
DaveG

I loved that a frontman played the flute, as I also play the flute. I bought Stand Up and learned every flute lick on the record!

I can't think of any other musician for a rock band that played a flute. The only other instance I can relate is Jimi Hendrix at the Winterland in 1968 playing "Are You Experienced" with flutist Virgil Gonzales. Do you know of any others?

I saw the Moody Blues in ‘69 and one of the band played flute on one or two songs.

Marshall Tucker Band has a lot of flute in many songs. Ann Wilson of Heart also used one on occasion.

Not sure if this counts here: The beautiful Andrea Corr of the Corrs plays a lot of flute in their Irish influenced songs.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 25, 2018 16:48

The Sicilian
DaveG

Marshall Tucker Band "Can't You See" and Firefall "You Are The Woman" both had flute players.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 25, 2018 16:49

Oooops! Sorry I didn't read the preceding posts.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 25, 2018 16:52

Focus have a flute player

Thijs Van Leer ?

[Apologies to our dutch members if my spelling is ridiculous winking smiley ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-25 17:04 by Spud.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 25, 2018 17:10

By the way

My missus calls Tull "Folk Metal" grinning smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 25, 2018 20:45

I like Tull, specifically dipping in and out of certain eras, E.G the first 5 albums up to TAAB. Then I drop out, and return to Minstrel In The Gallery, Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses, Bursting Out. I drop out after Bursting Out, return with Crest of A Knave, drop out again, and return with solo Ian Anderson material from Secret Life of Birds through to TAAB live, and Homo Erraticus.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 25, 2018 21:02

Boz Scaggs is another act that had flute on some of his hits (Lowdown, We Were Always Sweethearts).

A list of classic rock with flute (or recorder):
[rocknuts.net]

Date: October 25, 2018 21:03

Just listened to Howard Stern's from a couple weeks ago and he went on a pretty funny 10 minute rant about how its nuts Jethro Tull isn't in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Audio isn't on Youtube but here's a transcript from the marksfriggen website of the gist of the discussion:

Robin read a story about the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees being announced. Howard said he was thinking about someone who should be nominated. He said it was Jethro Tull and they should be in. He said that Aqualung the album was amazing. He said Thick as a Brick is an amazing album. He said just listen to this and played Bouree. He had Fred play some of their songs. Gary said they've never even been nominated. Howard said @#$%& those guys at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Fred kept playing the Aqualung riff. He played ''Cross Eyed Mary'' and Howard said they made the flute cool. He said he loves this stuff. Robin said that Ian Anderson has said that he doesn't mind not being nominated. Robin said in 1989 they won a Grammy and the record company didn't even fly them over. Howard had Fred play "Locomotive Breath" and said just listen to this. He said they sold millions of albums. He said that he went to see them at Nassau Colosseum on the Thick As A Brick tour. Robin said they sold 60 million albums. Howard asked if he's off base here. Fred said not at all. He said they don't like progressive rock at the hall of fame.

Date: October 26, 2018 09:03

Does anyone have a link to the complete 1970 Isle of Wight show? That performance looks like a brilliant watch and listen, especially for a rainy weekend coming this Saturday.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 26, 2018 13:14

In the latest issue of Vintage Guitar , there is an article about Tull's former lead guitarist , I have not read the article .

Date: October 26, 2018 15:26

The Sicilian
Does anyone have a link to the complete 1970 Isle of Wight show? That performance looks like a brilliant watch and listen, especially for a rainy weekend coming this Saturday.

Most of it is on Youtube, albeit in parts:

My Sunday Feeling: [www.youtube.com]
My God: [www.youtube.com]
With You There To Help Me:
To Cry You A Song:
Bouree:
Dharma For One: [www.youtube.com]
Nothing Is Easy: [www.youtube.com]
We Used To Know/For A Thousand Mothers: [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 26, 2018 15:44

When we're talking flute, King Crimson deserves a mention.

Date: October 27, 2018 17:15

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but when "Bungle in the Jungle" came out didn't people rejected it initially as a pop sellout. Does anyone else remember it that way. I'm almost positive about it, but memories sometimes....I think people felt it was not Tull like. Maybe like the Beatles "Yellow Submarine."

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: October 27, 2018 22:07

The Sicilian
Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but when "Bungle in the Jungle" came out didn't people rejected it initially as a pop sellout. Does anyone else remember it that way. I'm almost positive about it, but memories sometimes....I think people felt it was not Tull like. Maybe like the Beatles "Yellow Submarine."

A song I never liked, but I think it was Ian's reaction to the critical drubbing that the Passion Play album received (which, performed live, was an amazing piece of music).

The label wanted a hit, the fans wanted songs like the earlier material, etc, etc, so I think Anderson said, "fine, you want a stupid sounding Top 40 hit single, here ya go."

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: October 27, 2018 22:13

Speaking of A Passion Play, the video and sound on this YouTube clip are terrible, but it does give a good idea of the energy of this particular tour.

I saw the Greensboro, NC show in May of 1973.

THIS .... my friends.....is Tull at their peak, imho.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 27, 2018 22:31

Mongoose
The label wanted a hit, the fans wanted songs like the earlier material, etc, etc, so I think Anderson said, "fine, you want a stupid sounding Top 40 hit single, here ya go."
Sounds like him. Thats also what he said with Thick As A Brick. "They thought Aqualung was a concept album, O... K... we'll show you a @#$%& concept album" and along came Thick As A Brick.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2119
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home