Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Keith Richards in Jamaica circa 1977
Date: October 15, 2018 10:52

Honestman
What do you mean by IV , IVed ? confused smiley

Shoot in the veins?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 15, 2018 10:53

IV=intravenous

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 15, 2018 11:35

Redhotcarpet
IV=intravenous

Indeed, thanks each day we learn something !

HMN

Date: October 15, 2018 12:28

Honestman
Redhotcarpet
IV=intravenous

Indeed, thanks each day we learn something !

Yes Pascal, anywaY, Rotten side trajectory in otherwise superb thread. I apologize, but when talking about Keith in 70's we got to go with the yang as well as the yin.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 15, 2018 13:29

JMARKO
emotionalbarbecue
the brunette on the picture...

In the red top: Jane Rose.

Really?
I thought Jane Rose arrived on the scene at the end of the 70's (as Mick's and the groups PA initially).
Assuming these photos are 1977.

Date: October 15, 2018 13:32

jlowe
JMARKO
emotionalbarbecue

Really?
I thought Jane Rose arrived on the scene at the end of the 70's (as Mick's and the groups PA initially).

I thought she was fired by Mick in 1978?

She started working for Mick in 1974, methinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-15 13:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 15, 2018 23:26

jlowe
JMARKO
emotionalbarbecue

Really?

The photos are not from 1977. Mid 1978 and/or late 1978 and/or early 1979.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 17, 2018 08:55

Honestman
lem motlow
It’s strange, these pictures are said to come from Spanish Tony but he said he never talked to them again after Knebworth in 76.
This looks like 78/79 to me...

Na.Only the pictures posted by Ouroux first are said to be from Spanish Tony and they all are from 1974.
Back to this topic, I've only mentioned what's on the description for the auction , and it is 1977.

Perfect,thanks.STS had a bit of artist in him,I like the girl on the oldtime bicycle.His pictures of Paul and Linda and Mick with Ronnie Look exactly like 74,as with most things involving Spanish Tony the story adds up in the end.

Date: October 17, 2018 10:59

But i find it interesting that Keith never was that out of it. High, deeply depressed probably, but never really that careless. I think theres some sense and truth to that whole notion of at least somewhere in the back of his mind he knew it was a very long addictive experiment that could kill him had ne not stuck to certain procedurs ie. never go IV. Brian Jones played with death and so did Keith but I doubt Keith ever wanted to die. That may have saved him.

Date: October 17, 2018 15:26

Honestman

Here's the book: https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/sjr/product/dread-the-rastafarians-of-jamaica

First published in 1976 so no real clues. The HP sauce expires in 2034 so no luck there either. grinning smiley

Date: October 17, 2018 15:48

Redhotcarpet
But i find it interesting that Keith never was that out of it. High, deeply depressed probably, but never really that careless. I think theres some sense and truth to that whole notion of at least somewhere in the back of his mind he knew it was a very long addictive experiment that could kill him had ne not stuck to certain procedurs ie. never go IV. Brian Jones played with death and so did Keith but I doubt Keith ever wanted to die. That may have saved him.

Yes I agree. No matter what - I think at core Keith was always in control. Yeah, you go on a major bender, up for days and nights, no sleep, no food - you go pretty crazy; and you'll most likely crash in an unglamorous way. But he was never going to buy it.
there is a story in one of the Stones books; and I can't recall who it is telling the story. I think it is another musician. But he says he got to hang with Keith, and Keith starts cutting out some major rails of Girl, and they all do it. And a few moments later the guest is going "well? Let's do some more", and caught a withering glance from Keith who told him to learn how to cool it and pace it.

Date: October 17, 2018 15:53

Redhotcarpet
jlowe
JMARKO
emotionalbarbecue

Really?

The photos are not from 1977. Mid 1978 and/or late 1978 and/or early 1979.

He didn't have that haircut in 1979..

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 17, 2018 20:34

I love these pictures. Really wasted looking in some. Some good info in the thread too.

Jane was pretty hot back in the day.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 17, 2018 21:42

Just an opinion of course, but I think Keith was lucky rather than in control. A bit like the guy who beats the odds and wins a huge lottery jackpot twice. I think the glamorization of Keith the junkie led to so many other casualties, including countless fans that he never met. I'm not saying he's responsible for anyone else's actions, but I think it dangerous to set him up as a hero who through the worst of it all was still Keith. He was lucky and had lots of money to buy the best quality merchandise most of the time and was fortunate to usually have people around to look after him...sometimes that was his little boy. Keith's music makes him a hero. His abuse makes him a flawed hero.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 17, 2018 21:54

Well said, Rocky

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 17, 2018 23:21

Rocky Dijon
Just an opinion of course, but I think Keith was lucky rather than in control. A bit like the guy who beats the odds and wins a huge lottery jackpot twice. I think the glamorization of Keith the junkie led to so many other casualties, including countless fans that he never met. I'm not saying he's responsible for anyone else's actions, but I think it dangerous to set him up as a hero who through the worst of it all was still Keith. He was lucky and had lots of money to buy the best quality merchandise most of the time and was fortunate to usually have people around to look after him...sometimes that was his little boy. Keith's music makes him a hero. His abuse makes him a flawed hero.

I don't know Rocky, i wouldn't say his abuse of drink and drugs makes him a flawed hero, rather it's a large part of why he is a hero, the fact he's still alive and playing after all this abuse seems to strike a cord with people, people resonate to the idea of this man that clearly does it all wrong, against the book, but lives to tell the tale. It's the stuff of legend. His music speaks for itself but people hold Keith dear to their hearts in an unusual way, quite different to most other celebrities, its as though through all the drugs and excess there is a purity to Keith, an honesty to him, there he was in the 70's and 80's with a bottle of JD in hand, no excuses from Keith, no keeping his drinking under the radar, its just all out there, all of his wild, worn, torn and tattered life out there for all to see, no shame, no remorse, and to this day no apologies. I have respect for Keith in that way, even now while he admits to his sobriety since last year, still no talk of regrets or a change of heart. Although he seems so open, he is a contradiction, he keeps his personal thoughts to himself, unlike Ronnie you never get the " i just surrendered to my alcoholism ", no mention AA support from Keith , no rehab, no suggestion of a problem.

And that is the flaw Rocky, if Keith has one, that he has not once admitted to any responsibility for his love of drink and drugs, not a hint of aversion to his 12 year heroin odyssey, no acceptance that he turned so many people towards addiction by way of cool Keithness, he made being a junkie look cool, he made being a drunk cool, and he knows it, there could be an evil side to Keith in this way, gotta love him and give him the benefit of the doubt , but still.

PS.
In recent years Keith has offered a flippant "don't try this at home people" concession, but here again, this is still the ego talking, it's not sincere, what he is effectively saying is , i'm special with a special body and this probably won't work for you, that's the nearest we are going to get from Keith to a warning against drugs etc. Or another good one from Keith is " drugs are all crap today compared to when Keith was getting his rocks off with them, that's as far as Keith will go to warn people of the perils of hard drugs, it's not even a warning, at best it's saying don't waste your money on today's crap drugs because they don't compare to the stuff i used to take, you've missed the boat, savvy. Gotta love him winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-17 23:56 by keithsman.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 17, 2018 23:30

Well neither Glimmer Twin has ever apologized publicly for their behavior. Not Mick when interviewers attempted to shame him for his womanizing. Not Keith over his addictions either. I'm not suggesting they should start. I was just giving my two cents on idolizing Keith for the wrong reasons. It's dangerous and has hurt many. Who here who has had a problem with addiction or even dabbled for a time can't say the Stones weren't an influence on some level? We're all imitative chimps and all of us fall to hero-worship to varying levels or we wouldn't be here year after year, decade after decade.

That said, I don't have some corner on the Truth. It's my opinion and experience only. It doesn't make it true for everyone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 17, 2018 23:37

….. spent a fortune on scarves over the years …..
Keith owes me at least a roll of the finest silk ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2018 23:42

I brush my teeth three times a day, and sometimes even more thanks to Keith!!!
The money I've spent on toothpaste since seeing pics of Keith's rotting teeth in the '70's is astronomical, but on the bright side I have very nice teeth and will probably never have to invest in dentures or teeth implants!

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: October 17, 2018 23:45

of course keith was very lucky.But he must have very unusual zest for life.And attitude "this not goin to hurt me"

Date: October 17, 2018 23:57

Tamara in a Green Bugatti 1929

Tamara de Lempicka

HMN

Date: October 18, 2018 03:46

Rocky Dijon

Hmm, at first I was going to disagree, but when I think it through I come up with a similar result; maybe from a different angle - but 'flawed hero' sounds about right.
I can see Keith as a hero for his music, his sense of style, for many pieces of knowledge he has shared, yes; but never for his addictions. His addictions have been part of his image, his cult, but in my eyes, now today, that would never be a reason to idolize him. I have to confess when I was young, very young and very stupid I myself was completely led astray by the image of a Keith Richard, and that I too had to take these drugs to be like him.
And yes - luck does play a part in my own survival, and his too I guess, but I do believe there are in the world of addicts different levels, reasons to do what you do. What I meant about 'in control' earlier is that Keith was never going to be a Brian Jones, a Keith Moon, a Cobain. I don't believe there was a desperation within him to have to obliterate the world around you; to shut it out because it is too painful; to down a whole bottle of pills to try to get some asleep. With Keith one got the notion that as contradictory as it sounds there was some kind of joy of life about the whole experiment. he has often said 'things were just too interesting to go to sleep'. And I do believe there is a difference in someone who can afford the best of the best, who has the luxury of not having to beg, steal (yet); who can basically get the best deal possible in this scenario.
Now, what I have also learned is that no matter who, what you are, no matter how much money you have, how physically strong you are - in the end the dragon will beat you down. You will run out of money; you will run out of gas; you will collapse, and you will lose.
And while Keith can laugh it all off , because after all, he IS Keith, and he does possess some magic power, it was always going to get the better of him. He became an alcoholic because the dragon creeps up on you, even if you are Keith and gets you from behind.
In the end Keith wins because he outlasted the devil. Time was on his side, and saved him. He grows lemons now and is able to know that he scored some sort of Phyrric victory. So yes - flawed hero sounds very good.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 18, 2018 07:38

I always hated it that Keith let that “ the ultimate wasted drug guy “ thing become his image.
It seeped into the public conscience during the 80s largely pushed by a lot of stand-up comedians who were Stones fans,
I distinctly remember my brother and I cracking up about a guy saying something about going out getting drunk on a work night”and the next day you’re sitting in a meeting and you look like Keith Richards”
It was hilarious because it was the first time I heard his name used that way,it sure wasn’t the last.
Keith is as talented as John Lennon or Jimmy Page who were both junkies but it’s the last thing you think when you hear their names and with him,for too many people,it’s The first.
He was pushing those nonsensical tales about blood changes and staying up for nine days even in the 70s,I’ve never figured out why it was so important to him to be seen that way.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 18, 2018 13:21

lem motlow
I always hated it that Keith let that “ the ultimate wasted drug guy “ thing become his image.
It seeped into the public conscience during the 80s largely pushed by a lot of stand-up comedians who were Stones fans,
I distinctly remember my brother and I cracking up about a guy saying something about going out getting drunk on a work night”and the next day you’re sitting in a meeting and you look like Keith Richards”
It was hilarious because it was the first time I heard his name used that way,it sure wasn’t the last.
Keith is as talented as John Lennon or Jimmy Page who were both junkies but it’s the last thing you think when you hear their names and with him,for too many people,it’s The first.
He was pushing those nonsensical tales about blood changes and staying up for nine days even in the 70s,I’ve never figured out why it was so important to him to be seen that way.

I totally agree. Of course the media don't help; even now in interviews the subject of drugs seems to always come up....as if its the most important thing about Keith (even though he came out of the heroin stage some 40 years ago). Of course Keith could easily move the conversation elsewhere...as Jimmy Page does. But Keith is rather like John Lennon was....out it comes, which is rather endearing in its own way I suppose.
But you can bet that when it comes to Obituary time it will be the excess elements of his lifestyle rather than the music which will be emphasised...which is sad really.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 18, 2018 16:17

If that is how things play out after he dies that will be really sad as he was essentially the main musical director through, at the very least, 1964 - 1971 or so.

Date: October 18, 2018 19:39

Jam Magazine April 1979 Japan

HMN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 18, 2018 19:59

Unfortunately, among people my age (35-45), Keith Richards' name is a punchline that's synonymous with "drunk junkie".

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 18, 2018 22:35

keefriff99
Unfortunately, among people my age (35-45), Keith Richards' name is a punchline that's synonymous with "drunk junkie".

Still??

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 18, 2018 22:47

Maindefender
keefriff99

Still??
Well, that and talking about his haggard appearance and marveling at how he's still alive.

The music seems to run a distant third to his junkie mythology and long life.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 19, 2018 03:19

The unconscious Keith pictures, especially where he's essentially a prop, are really sad.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1437
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home