Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Your favorite live version of Start Me Up is?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 2, 2018 00:47

From Ohio, the Shaker Heights High School Marching Band

Start Me Up/Satisfaction

Date: September 2, 2018 06:33

keithsman
DandelionPowderman
VOODOOSEBI
keithsman
VOODOOSEBI
This version from 1989. hear the sound of Keith guitar, never heard it better on that song
[youtu.be]

Starts at 59 secs

This is great with Keith so high in the mix, shows what Keith is as a player, this sound set up, why does he not achieve this all the time, its incredible, any more footage with this sound mix out there.

I would love to hear the whole show, or any show with such a mix, too!

That's Atlantic City smiling smiley

The whole Atlantic City concert, it's so easy to forget just how good KR was, the timing , the movement, rhythm, speed, everything was coming together, even as a soloist he braking new ground.

[www.youtube.com]

That's not Atlantic city! listen closely smiling smiley

Date: September 2, 2018 09:37

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
VOODOOSEBI
keithsman
VOODOOSEBI
This version from 1989. hear the sound of Keith guitar, never heard it better on that song
[youtu.be]

Starts at 59 secs

This is great with Keith so high in the mix, shows what Keith is as a player, this sound set up, why does he not achieve this all the time, its incredible, any more footage with this sound mix out there.

The whole Atlantic City concert, it's so easy to forget just how good KR was, the timing , the movement, rhythm, speed, everything was coming together, even as a soloist he braking new ground.

[www.youtube.com]

You’re right!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 2, 2018 13:43

Hairball
From Ohio, the Shaker Heights High School Marching Band

Start Me Up/Satisfaction

Woah, that’s very fast!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2018 18:33

Keith used a JTM-45 head for leads in Sad Sad Sad and SFTD the 1989-90 tours. The JTM-45 was run into a Boogie Power amp, and into 3 Boogie 4x12's.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 3, 2018 10:32

Can't say that I have a favorite live version...they all pretty much sound the same.

Although the opening riff is an open G beauty and the entire band delivers a powerhouse performance, Start Me Up is Jagger on steroids – it’s just an awesome vocal performance. But Mick can just barely pull off those demanding vocals in the studio so it’s no wonder the song is always a bust in concert.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 3, 2018 12:52

Stoneage
...Mine is none. They have never done justice to that song live. I'll go for the studio version anytime. What about you?

Completely agree.

Date: September 3, 2018 12:54

matxil
Stoneage
...Mine is none. They have never done justice to that song live. I'll go for the studio version anytime. What about you?

Completely agree.

Lots of fans agree with this (Mick's vocals on the studio version is ace), but that doesn't mean we don't have a favorite live version..

Date: September 3, 2018 13:05

DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stoneage

Completely agree.

Lots of fans agree with this (Mick's vocals on the studio version is ace), but that doesn't mean we don't have a favorite live version..

Mick's voice is not the main problem. The main issue is that in the studio version Ron and Keith have these knife-sharp interchanges with licks on top of Charlie's drums and there's no way one could ever reproduce that live. Something similar happens with Monkey Man: the riff is so sharp, so crystal clear, that the live versions inevitably sound blurry.
So, my favourite live version of Start Me Up is the one where they decide not playing it.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 3, 2018 13:16

They did it best during Steel Wheels, but last year's renditions were surprisingly good when they didn't play it as opening song.

Date: September 3, 2018 13:26

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stoneage

Completely agree.

Mick's voice is not the main problem. The main issue is that in the studio version Ron and Keith have these knife-sharp interchanges with licks on top of Charlie's drums and there's no way one could ever reproduce that live. Something similar happens with Monkey Man: the riff is so sharp, so crystal clear, that the live versions inevitably sound blurry.
So, my favourite live version of Start Me Up is the one where they decide not playing it.

It's the drums as well, of course. The way Charlie enters on the studio version is also something they never can replicate.

It's only Ronnie doing licks on the studio version, btw, and he is indeed playing licks live as well (but maybe not as cool as you thought they were on the studio version?).

This is my favourite version (and I've heard a few winking smiley )

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: September 3, 2018 14:30

Mick once said about the song..."Start Me Up was a gift". I always thought that line was a massive under statement..I can't imagine the post 70's Stones without that one song. It gave them life for at least 10 more years...

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 3, 2018 15:31

thrak
Barcelona 90 with Keith's kick in front of the public when he walked on stage

I'm watching Atlantic City now (thanks for link). What an incredible performance. Keith's solos were just incredible. He was on top with his playing. It Should be released on From The Vault series

Totally agree with that. If they are gonna release a representative show from the Steel Wheels tour that captured the Stones at their best, I would have lobbied for Atlantic City 89 rather than the release of the Japan 1990 show. I know many people like the Japan show, but I think the playing, performances and all around energy level on the PPV Atlantic City show trumps Japan. The Stones look and sound like they give a shit and maybe were at their best as they had something to prove after being out of the performing spotlight 7 years.

Date: September 3, 2018 15:34

Sighunt
thrak

I'm watching Atlantic City now (thanks for link). What an incredible performance. Keith's solos were just incredible. He was on top with his playing. It Should be released on From The Vault series

Totally agree with that. If they are gonna release a representative show from the Steel Wheels tour that captured the Stones at their best, I would have lobbied for Atlantic City 89 rather than the release of the Japan 1990 show. I know many people like the Japan show, but I think the playing, performances and all around energy level on the PPV Atlantic City show trumps Japan. The Stones look and sound like they give a shit and maybe were at their best as they had something to prove after being out of the performing spotlight 7 years.

They just announced that they will release Atlantic City (+ Miami 1994 and a few others)..

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 3, 2018 15:49

DandelionPowderman
Sighunt
thrak

They just announced that they will release Atlantic City (+ Miami 1994 and a few others)..

I have heard that, and yes it is about time. A classic show that is long overdue to be released.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 4, 2018 01:29

Stupid Song

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: September 4, 2018 09:51

GasLightStreet
Keith used a JTM-45 head for leads in Sad Sad Sad and SFTD the 1989-90 tours. The JTM-45 was run into a Boogie Power amp, and into 3 Boogie 4x12's.

According to an article in Guitar Player Magazine the Marshalls and the Fender amps run into HH power amps.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: September 4, 2018 14:13

DandelionPowderman
Sighunt
thrak

where did you found that information

Date: September 4, 2018 14:22

BOW2007
where did you found that information

Here

Rolling Stones and Universal announce new partnership

Sunday, 8 July 2018

Dave Hogan

The Rolling Stones and Universal Music Group have announced a worldwide agreement covering the band's musical and audio-visual catalogues, archival support, global merchandising and brand management.

The multi-faceted partnership marks the beginning of a new era of expanded collaboration between the veteran rockers and the music company.

The band's catalogue includes some of the most celebrated and influential albums of the last 50 years, from 1971's Sticky Fingers to 2016's Grammy-winning Blue & Lonesome.

Universal (UMG) will continue to distribute the band's music catalogue globally, with future projects and reissues to be released through UMG's labels and networks around the world.

Bravado, UMG's brand management and merchandise company and the leading global provider of consumer, lifestyle and branding services to recording artists, will handle global merchandising rights, retail licensing, brand management and e-commerce on behalf of the band, including their iconic tongue logo.

It will also work with the band and management to identify new opportunities for creative collaboration within the worlds of art, fashion, retail, sport, lifestyle and touring merchandise.

Eagle Rock, the UMG-owned producer and distributor of music programming for broadcast, DVD, Blu-Ray, TV and Digital Media, have expanded their global distribution rights to the band's extensive long-form audio visual catalogue.

As part of the agreement, Eagle Rock will re-issue several classic concert films from their archives including Atlanta (1989) (sic!), Steel Wheels (1989-90), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Bridges To Babylon (1997-1998), Four Flicks (2002) and Bigger Bang (2005-2006).

UMG's chairman and CEO Lucian Grainge, said: "After a decade of working in partnership together, we are thrilled to expand and extend our relationship with The Rolling Stones.

"We look forward to bringing our expertise and passion to bear as we put our global organization work on behalf of this iconic band who continue to create music and influence culture around the world."

The band's manager Joyce Smyth said: "For many years now we've had a wonderful partnership with Universal Music and look forward to an even more successful future together."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-04 14:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 5, 2018 06:14

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stoneage

Completely agree.

Yet... Monkey Man on the VOODOO and LICKS tours was performed fantastically live, while songs like Rocks Off and Start Me Up were awful.

Date: September 5, 2018 08:28

GasLightStreet
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stoneage

Completely agree.

Yet... Monkey Man on the VOODOO and LICKS tours was performed fantastically live, while songs like Rocks Off and Start Me Up were awful.

Monkey Man was also great on the BB-tour. Here's a clip of the Oslo-version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-05 09:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 6, 2018 07:30

That intro is garbage!

Date: September 6, 2018 07:32

DandelionPowderman

That was pretty bad, compared to the VOODOO and LICKS tours versions. Wow.

Date: September 6, 2018 11:48

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

That was pretty bad, compared to the VOODOO and LICKS tours versions. Wow.

I thought it was good. Ronnie plays a few bum notes in the bridge, but Keith was good. Unfortunately, it was the last time he had that punchy sound in concert.

I was there, and it was the first time I got Monkey Man in concert. Loved it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 11:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 6, 2018 11:53

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stoneage

Completely agree.

I am aware that it's not fair to judge a performance on the base of a smarthphone recording, but since you are sending it to make a point, I can only say the same I said before: the guitars on Monkey Man live sound blurry, they miss that sharp attack from the studio version. I can't blame them, I'd think it's impossible to do that in a stadium. The rest of this version doesn't convince me either. It definitely does not work live for me.

Date: September 6, 2018 11:59

matxil
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stoneage

Completely agree.

I am aware that it's not fair to judge a performance on the base of a smarthphone recording, but since you are sending it to make a point, I can only say the same I said before: the guitars on Monkey Man live sound blurry, they miss that sharp attack from the studio version. I can't blame them, I'd think it's impossible to do that in a stadium. The rest of this version doesn't convince me either. It definitely does not work live for me.

Fair enough. It's a crappy recording, though, with the guitars going back and forth in the soundscape.

What I heard in the stadium, though (and still can hear in that clip), is that Keith's guitar was sharper and more punchier while playing the riff than on Four Flicks and on the VL-tour.

The guitar sound on the BB-tour was excellent. Too bad the playing often wasn't on par. But for that Oslo-show (and Copenhagen) they were back on form after a few lackluster gigs.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 6, 2018 13:35

That one was a great gig!!

Date: September 7, 2018 05:34

No matter how it's recorded, bad playing and bad notes are bad playing and bad notes.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 7, 2018 05:40

GasLightStreet
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stoneage

Completely agree.

The only thing I don't like about the VL tour Rocks Off is Micks low singing on the first part. Otherwise it's a gas. One of my favorite arrangements from the Vegas era in fact.

Posted by: rod ()
Date: September 7, 2018 19:35

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
VOODOOSEBI
keithsman
VOODOOSEBI
[youtu.be]

Starts at 59 secs

[www.youtube.com]

this is not Atlantic city and i think it's from a keith richards monitor mix....if you hear the rough sound

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home