Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Your favorite live version of Start Me Up is?
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 28, 2018 04:19

Studio version is it. I can't keep up with all those live versions, some sound reasonably good but I forget which they were, every time. No live version touches upon the studio version anyway. The off-beat-putting intro alone is worth gold and theres a story about the harmonics but nothing of that was ever noticeable live. Just my two -gold- cents on this issue.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2018 04:34

SomeGuy
Studio version is it. I can't keep up with all those live versions, some sound reasonably good but I forget which they were, every time. No live version touches upon the studio version anyway. The off-beat-putting intro alone is worth gold and theres a story about the harmonics but nothing of that was ever noticeable live. Just my two -gold- cents on this issue.

They slaughtered it in 1981-82. Big bowl of Campbell's Chunky Start Me Up.

At least with the 1989-90 tours it was completely revamped, similar to how Live With Me and SFTD were for the 1969-70 tours. And Ronnie played the shit out of the solo.

1994 onward... a disaster, especially Ronnie's solos. So bad that at the MTV Awards Mick cut is solo off!

Better hair, overall, though.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: August 28, 2018 04:36

Always thought this was pretty good

[youtu.be]

Go for it Debbie..

Oh well she was hot!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-28 04:39 by MrTurner.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 28, 2018 05:57

Anaheim 1999. Keith teased the audience, playing the opening riff, stopping, playing it again.................everybody's pumped, hit it........streamers flew from the ceiling. Great performance.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 28, 2018 05:58

The 1981 shows where they sandwiched it between BSugar and JJFlash.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 28, 2018 08:47

Saitama 2006 bstage version, going out live on TV, they nail some interesting setlist choices, and then Keith blows the beginning when he pauses to hand someone in the front row a pick.

Forum 2006 - Ronnie is wailing on the solo when Mick runs behind him and slaps him on the ass completely splattering the rest of it.

Personally I prefer a song to be totally butchered then just a plain obligatory reading as the song usually gets.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 28, 2018 09:37

buttons67
start me up is overrated, […]

Ultimate version is definitely the studio version. No 'overrating' there, imo!

DandelionPowderman
Atlantic City 1989, hands down.

LIVE: I probably like the 89-90 versions, in general, the most - a.o. due to the maximum effect (Continental Drift, crowd cheering, incredible explosion, opening riff, crowd going nuts... gotta love that band. smoking smiley )

But I got ‘a soft spot’ for the “Still Live” version as well; speeding up the pace after “Just my imafgination”, Mick’s intro – “Aaaaawrite Chicago… ROK’n’ROOOOOOLLLL!!!!!” – Keith’s massively groovy opening chords, and Charlie hi-hattin’ it to fullfillment.

Mind you: this was a BRAND NEW song (ànd an instant-worldwide hit) in those days – in the set lists right up there with the warhorses (“Brown Sugar”, Satisfaction”, etc.), end standing its ground… Can you imagine thàt in 2019?? (No, I guess you can’t y’all. smoking smiley And neither can I, for that matter!)

Dan
Personally I prefer a song to be totally butchered then just a plain obligatory reading as the song usually gets.

That’s a REALLY good point, Dan (thx for addin’ that) – and definitely a genuine Stones’ throw at it.
Not just as a Stonesfan but as a honest admirer tru & tru of genuine live music, I wholeheartedly agree.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: August 28, 2018 14:40

1989 versions for me. I was at opening night in Philly and after years of thinking they may never play again they stormed the stage with a wall of sound courtesy of Keith’s opening riff. 1981 version was good too. My opinion.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: August 28, 2018 16:09

1981 hands down. Love the Still Live version...drums make it

Date: August 28, 2018 16:11

Stockholm 7-22-2003 and Isle of Wight Festival June 10,2007 .

Texas Rangers mono soundboard from '89. And maybe some of the versions from the first couple of months of the "Bridges to Babylon Tour".

Really,though,this is one song that usually pales in comparison live to the studio. Not usually the case with the Stones. Most of their other songs usually have a good live sound to them when they are on their game. With "Start Me Up" this is rarely the case.

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: August 28, 2018 16:13

keithsman
VOODOOSEBI
This version from 1989. hear the sound of Keith guitar, never heard it better on that song
[youtu.be]

Starts at 59 secs

This is great with Keith so high in the mix, shows what Keith is as a player, this sound set up, why does he not achieve this all the time, its incredible, any more footage with this sound mix out there.

I would love to hear the whole show, or any show with such a mix, too!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 28, 2018 17:11

Munich, Olympiastadion, 1990 (I was there, and the intro was spectacular)

Date: August 28, 2018 18:20

VOODOOSEBI
keithsman
VOODOOSEBI
This version from 1989. hear the sound of Keith guitar, never heard it better on that song
[youtu.be]

Starts at 59 secs

This is great with Keith so high in the mix, shows what Keith is as a player, this sound set up, why does he not achieve this all the time, its incredible, any more footage with this sound mix out there.

That's Atlantic City smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 28, 2018 18:58

I insist, they have never done a live version that comes close to the original version. I don't know why, I have heard tribute bands doing it much better.
The live version has a life on its own it seems. But the original is something else. Simply as that.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: August 28, 2018 19:07

Wembley 1990 - my first Stones gig. Luckily enough the BBC recorded those Wembley shows for radio and I have them as a reminder of what an epic performance they did.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 28, 2018 23:29

DandelionPowderman
VOODOOSEBI
keithsman
VOODOOSEBI
[youtu.be]

Starts at 59 secs

That's Atlantic City smiling smiley

The whole Atlantic City concert, it's so easy to forget just how good KR was, the timing , the movement, rhythm, speed, everything was coming together, even as a soloist he braking new ground.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 28, 2018 23:38

buttons67
Start me up is overrated, its one of those stones songs which is lauded well above its real level, some other stones songs are overrated, but most are underrated.

Wow, here I do agree with you.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 28, 2018 23:44

ahem Atlantic City full concert

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: August 29, 2018 00:30

Barcelona 90 with Keith's kick in front of the public when he walked on stage

I'm watching Atlantic City now (thanks for link). What an incredible performance. Keith's solos were just incredible. He was on top with his playing. It Shoud be released on From The Vault series

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-29 00:48 by thrak.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 29, 2018 02:59

None. One of my most least liked Stones songs. To my ears, its a rather pedestrian rock song whether on the original album or live. On any Stones live stuff I may listen to I generally click to the next cut rather than hear SMU. IORR and HTW fall into the same category for me in live versions, though, I'll let them play through.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 29, 2018 03:21

MrTurner
Always thought this was pretty good

[youtu.be]

Go for it Debbie..

Oh well she was hot!!

That's Eddie Martinez on guitar from his brief stint with Blondie. He would go on to a lucrative gig for awhile recording overdubs for Jeff Beck. They worked as a package deal with Eddie commanding a far more reasonable rate. His stint doing this included working on SHE'S THE BOSS.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 29, 2018 03:31

Brown Sugar (SMU riff played forwards).

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: August 29, 2018 08:23

Still life or Let'spend the night together (movie)

Olympia 1995

Date: August 29, 2018 09:01

thrak
Barcelona 90 with Keith's kick in front of the public when he walked on stage

I'm watching Atlantic City now (thanks for link). What an incredible performance. Keith's solos were just incredible. He was on top with his playing. It Shoud be released on From The Vault series

It will be, according to the press release earlier (misspelled as Atlanta, though)..

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: August 29, 2018 10:46

1. Atlantic City 1989
2. Paris/Olympia 1995
3. Munich 2006

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 29, 2018 10:53

The '89/'90 versions are good but a bit too clean sounding. I like the bluesy and less hysteric vibe it had on the Bridges to Babylon-tour, St. Louis '97 is a great version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-29 10:55 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: August 29, 2018 11:50

TheBlockbuster
The '89/'90 versions are good but a bit too clean sounding. I like the bluesy and less hysteric vibe it had on the Bridges to Babylon-tour, St. Louis '97 is a great version.

Atlantic City is NOT clean-sounding (that's why it's so good).

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 29, 2018 13:55

Shea Stadium October 1989 when after the intro music off Steel Wheels -Continental Divide Keith played the opening riff which then they set of the Flash Pyro and bang they were off as I was in pure ecstasy . Never forget that moment .

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 29, 2018 13:57

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

Atlantic City is NOT clean-sounding (that's why it's so good).

Yea you're right the guitars are not clean sounding on the Atlantic version. I was more thinking of SMU from Tokyo 1990 and Live at the Max etc.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 29, 2018 14:02

If they ever release an expanded Tattoo You, I'd love to hear one of the alternative versions of SMU.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home