Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 22 of 25
Re: OT: NFL Football 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 25, 2019 05:31

GasLightStreet
One thing to note regarding the non-call and Saints loss - no one rioted or punched a police horse or burned anything down.

In some cities, that usually happens when there's a win!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2019 05:36

Hairball
GasLightStreet
One thing to note regarding the non-call and Saints loss - no one rioted or punched a police horse or burned anything down.

In some cities, that usually happens when there's a win!

Philly...

Date: January 25, 2019 05:37

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
It's just the fact that you're a sad whiny Jets fan. A really whiny one.

the only thing I'm on about is a team paying people to end someone career and means of paying their bills and supporting their family. the football gods have made sure the saints don't go back despite having a good team. good for them.

I haven't constantly accused the pats of cheating or getting all the calls. I have made really no comments about other teams nonstop.

good thing the "gracious losing" saints fans have filed a lawsuit for losing the game lol.

You continue to go on about something that was long ago. It has no relevance.

Being wronged is different, with Goodell's attitude towards the Saints always being kept in mind, and the mind set of some people seeing it as a market driven fix, which is really strange considering that Los Angeles doesn't exactly pack the stadium for the games.

the relevance is seeing people complain about this 1 bad call but not care about the teams history. heck the saints if you watch the game had several other chances to win that had nothing to do with the call at the very end and even had a chance after that call and people act like that was the saints only chance for a trip to the SB and that bad call ended it

Your argument is cherry picked convenience, weighted down in something that is old and has zero relevance. Of course they had several other chances - yet somehow you choose to ignore the giant one that was criminal.

Had that happened to the Jets you'd be blowing every horn in the world at how unfair it was.

Something did happen to the jets before. I just said oh well the jets shouldn’t have relied on a ref to make a choice for a win

So in other words, you don't care about how wrong it was.

That makes a lot more sense.

like my buddy said if you are good be up 2 TDs and the refs choices won't matter

Date: January 25, 2019 05:42

keefriffhard4life
like my buddy said if you are good be up 2 TDs and the refs choices won't matter

Uh huh. Sure. But that's not the case and the Saints got screwed.

Date: January 25, 2019 14:46

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
2006-2014 - NINE YEARS the Patriots didn't win a Super Bowl. Yet a lot of people say they "always win".

The last 4 Super Bowls they've won 2. They won 2 in a row in 2004 and '005, and the first Brady one was in 2002.

That's not exactly dominating regarding they "always win", now, huh.

Still, they've been 7 times since 2002, hence, they "always win".

Kinda seems like they'll win their 6th, and possibly last with Brady, but the way things go these days, ha ha...
They lost two Super Bowls in that time frame, so they made plenty of playoff runs in that span. They were only one-and-done in the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

But it's not just Super Bowls. It's the 29-10 playoff record, it's the AFC championship games, it's the regular season record.

People can talk about them beating up on the AFC "Least" all they want, but that's still only 6 out of 16 games. They win 11-14 games a season regularly.

I totally get people being tired of seeing the Patriots win, but you can't minimize or explain away their accomplishments during this era.

It's not just about beating up on AFC East. The point is that if Miami or the Jets or Buffalo could ever go 12-4 ...... New England would then be a WildCard team once in a while and have to win 3 playoff games (with the first one on the road) just to even reach the Super Bowl.

But how often does that happen these days?? Instead,New England gets basically a free pass into the AFC Championship game every year. Titans or Texans at home in the first round = tune up game.

Date: January 25, 2019 15:43

Winning Ugly VXII
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
2006-2014 - NINE YEARS the Patriots didn't win a Super Bowl. Yet a lot of people say they "always win".

The last 4 Super Bowls they've won 2. They won 2 in a row in 2004 and '005, and the first Brady one was in 2002.

Kinda seems like they'll win their 6th, and possibly last with Brady, but the way things go these days, ha ha...
They lost two Super Bowls in that time frame, so they made plenty of playoff runs in that span. They were only one-and-done in the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

But it's not just Super Bowls. It's the 29-10 playoff record, it's the AFC championship games, it's the regular season record.

People can talk about them beating up on the AFC "Least" all they want, but that's still only 6 out of 16 games. They win 11-14 games a season regularly.

I totally get people being tired of seeing the Patriots win, but you can't minimize or explain away their accomplishments during this era.

It's not just about beating up on AFC East. The point is that if Miami or the Jets or Buffalo could ever go 12-4 ...... New England would then be a WildCard team once in a while and have to win 3 playoff games (with the first one on the road) just to even reach the Super Bowl.

But how often does that happen these days?? Instead,New England gets basically a free pass into the AFC Championship game every year. Titans or Texans at home in the first round = tune up game.

the last 10 years the other teams from the AFC East have gone 9-7 or better 8 times and 8-8 5 times. it appears its more like the rest of the AFC East is about equal and the pats are just better. no QB or coaching changes helps.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 25, 2019 17:01

Winning Ugly VXII
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

All three of those teams have had almost TWO DECADES to get their acts together and put a competitive product on the field.

The Patriots' success could be considered the sports equivalent of a market distortion, but there's nothing stopping the other AFC East teams from challenging them other than their own rank incompetence.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 25, 2019 18:18

GasLightStreet

they're saving that for Mardi Gras

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 25, 2019 18:35

GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

I'm not. It's just that the attitude of "they always win" isn't directly connected to reality.

good point...but, "they always cheat" is.

That was proven to be bunk as I recall, yet people hang on to it, like how some people hang on to other things.

No...it was never "proven to be bunk."

Spygate: The NFL destroyed the tapes and the Patriots went along w/ that arrangement.

In other words, no independent (or other) entity will ever be able to discover the 'truth'....which is exactly what both the NFL and the Pats want

This way, "did they cheat?" is a constant "debate" rather than clear evidence the Pats were cheating like crazy....which they were.

think about motivations to destroy the tapes:

a)Why would the NFL want the tapes to be destroyed? To save the reputation of their "product" as "fair sporting competition"...or to cover up their anti-Patriots conspiracy....

well, if the latter is true, then....

b) Why would the Patriots want the tapes destroyed? They wouldn't IF they proved them innocent....

so, that really only leaves one other reason....they're guilty as F.

so, although we'll "never FULLY know" b/c we can't view the tapes, the fact that they were destroyed is condemning.

No innocent party ever wants evidence destroyed that can prove their innocence.

Common sense.

As for Deflategate....that's chump-change in comparison and is a very minor infraction. But, it comes on the back of Spygate AND a week after Brady arrogantly told another coach: "maybe you should go read the rulebook"....so, he dug his own grave of people wanting to nail him for being a cheater/dick.

personally I think Deflategate was intentionally made into a circus to keep the NFL in the news all summer long

That being said, TBDB still did it...why else would his BallBoy refer to himself as "The Deflator?"

to lose weight? that's a good one. especially since not a single one of the texts w/ the name "Deflator" was sent in the context of weight-loss and they were all sent in context of the footballs' PSI....

"Brady will be getting watermelons this weekend if he doesn't stop complaining"

great stuff in the text messages....worth reading if you want a few laughs.....

"Dorito Dick" is a classic insult I use regularly as a result....so, thank YOU, Deflator!!

Date: January 25, 2019 18:49

keefriff99
Winning Ugly VXII
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

All three of those teams have had almost TWO DECADES to get their acts together and put a competitive product on the field.

The Patriots' success could be considered the sports equivalent of a market distortion, but there's nothing stopping the other AFC East teams from challenging them other than their own rank incompetence.

ownership changes, coaching changes, QB changes. some of that has nothing to do with teams being incompetent. some of those teams had coaches leave on their own for other reasons.

Date: January 25, 2019 18:59

stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

I'm not. It's just that the attitude of "they always win" isn't directly connected to reality.

good point...but, "they always cheat" is.

That was proven to be bunk as I recall, yet people hang on to it, like how some people hang on to other things.

No...it was never "proven to be bunk."

Spygate: The NFL destroyed the tapes and the Patriots went along w/ that arrangement.

In other words, no independent (or other) entity will ever be able to discover the 'truth'....which is exactly what both the NFL and the Pats want

This way, "did they cheat?" is a constant "debate" rather than clear evidence the Pats were cheating like crazy....which they were.

think about motivations to destroy the tapes:

a)Why would the NFL want the tapes to be destroyed? To save the reputation of their "product" as "fair sporting competition"...or to cover up their anti-Patriots conspiracy....

well, if the latter is true, then....

b) Why would the Patriots want the tapes destroyed? They wouldn't IF they proved them innocent....

so, that really only leaves one other reason....they're guilty as F.

so, although we'll "never FULLY know" b/c we can't view the tapes, the fact that they were destroyed is condemning.

No innocent party ever wants evidence destroyed that can prove their innocence.

Common sense.

As for Deflategate....that's chump-change in comparison and is a very minor infraction. But, it comes on the back of Spygate AND a week after Brady arrogantly told another coach: "maybe you should go read the rulebook"....so, he dug his own grave of people wanting to nail him for being a cheater/dick.

personally I think Deflategate was intentionally made into a circus to keep the NFL in the news all summer long

That being said, TBDB still did it...why else would his BallBoy refer to himself as "The Deflator?"

to lose weight? that's a good one. especially since not a single one of the texts w/ the name "Deflator" was sent in the context of weight-loss and they were all sent in context of the footballs' PSI....

"Brady will be getting watermelons this weekend if he doesn't stop complaining"

great stuff in the text messages....worth reading if you want a few laughs.....

"Dorito Dick" is a classic insult I use regularly as a result....so, thank YOU, Deflator!!

I forgot how goofy Deflategate (if only the damn hotel had been a Holiday Inn or Marriott) got. I think the video tape destroying got sidetracked at times with the Jets coach getting suspended for being a cheater among other antics that happened around that time.

Date: January 25, 2019 20:26

jest coach getting suspended? the jets coach during spygate was eric mangini, a former pupil of belichick, and coached every game for the jets the 3 years he was there. never heard any allegations against mangini for being a cheater or other antics during his 3 year tenure

Date: January 25, 2019 20:47

Sal Alosi

Date: January 25, 2019 20:50

This will be the first time I will not watch the Pro Bowl or the Super Bowl on purpose. It's not so much of a boycott against the NFL with the stupidity of the refs being in on making sure the Saints lost, since me not watching the game has zero effect on anything, but because it's completely pointless to watch.

Date: January 25, 2019 20:55

GasLightStreet
Sal Alosi

That was while Rex Ryan was the coach and deflate gate was during manginis tenure. Alosi tripped a player who was out of bounds. Not exactly a smoking gun for cheating.

Date: January 25, 2019 23:00

so robby-coleman from the rams is saying one of the refs on the field told him he didn't throw a flag because he thought the ball was tipped at the line of scrimmage. it wasn't tipped that I see but still why not throw a flag and then check the monitors to se if there was a tip

Date: January 25, 2019 23:39

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
Sal Alosi

That was while Rex Ryan was the coach and deflate gate was during manginis tenure. Alosi tripped a player who was out of bounds. Not exactly a smoking gun for cheating.

Interfering with a player out of bounds that is in play to get inbounds is cheating.

Date: January 26, 2019 01:10

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
Sal Alosi

Interfering with a player out of bounds that is in play to get inbounds is cheating.

Hence why he was ejected, the dolphins were given 15 yards and the coach never coached again for the jets. He got away with nothing and things were handled properly

Date: January 26, 2019 03:28

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
Sal Alosi

Hence why he was ejected, the dolphins were given 15 yards and the coach never coached again for the jets. He got away with nothing and things were handled properly

It's amazing that the NFL did something right.

If the Saints were to be in the 2019 SB against the Patriots, the Patriots would lose. There is no way the Rams will beat the Patriots, regardless of crawling out of a 13-0 hole and tying the game with the Saints after having their opportunity handed to them. Unless Goodell has the correct refs in place for SB 2019, the Patriots will win, as they should.

Date: January 28, 2019 01:46

keefriffhard4life
Winning Ugly VXII
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

the last 10 years the other teams from the AFC East have gone 9-7 or better 8 times and 8-8 5 times. it appears its more like the rest of the AFC East is about equal and the pats are just better. no QB or coaching changes helps.

9-7 "or better" is misleading.

Buffalo has not done better than 9-7 since the 1999 / 2000 season. That's 19 seasons running without doing it.And they only reached 9-7 twice in the past 19 seasons. Also,they only reached 8-8 three times during that span (one of those being the 2000 / 2001 season). Every other season in that time period ..... they were worse than 8-8. That's 14 out of the past 19 at worse than 8-8. And 17 out of 19 unable to go above .500. And 19 out of 19 unable to go above 9-7.

The Jets probably have been the second best in the AFC East since 2000. They had a decent run from 2008 to 2011 but have really fallen off since then. During the past 16 seasons the Jets have reached 11-5 ONE time. 10-6 three times. So that's 12 out of the past 16 seasons at 9-7 or worse. (They also had a quite horrible run from '89 to '96 as well.)

Miami has really struggled for the past 15 seasons. 12 out of the past 15 years unable to finish above 8-8. 11-5 once (2008 / 2009 season). 10-6 once (2016 / 2017 season). 9-7 once (2005 / 2006 season).

Overall,not very good for Buffalo over the past 19 seasons. Not very good for the Jets over the past 16 seasons. Not very good for Miami over the past 15 seasons. With very few exceptions.

Combined , over the past 15 seasons .... That means those 3 teams finished above 9-7 SIX times out of 45 chances to do so.

2 out of 45 chances reaching 11-5.

ZERO out of 45 chances reaching 12-4.

Date: January 28, 2019 02:28

those are some good numbers but you figure at best those teams are going 3-3 in the AFC East most years . hard for to think any of them would lose just 1 non AFC East game. look at the steelers and a few of the other yearly good teams. look who they usually beat in the regular season.

Date: January 28, 2019 04:53

Well said. It's incredible how fussy some men can be when confronted with a truly great organization. Why doesn't the rest of the USA just surrender to the New England Patriots? I know why: they love to see the Patriots kick their butts year in and year out. I love it! And we're gonna do it again to all the girl scouts and steal their mint chocolate cookies while we're at it.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Date: January 28, 2019 05:15

This is ridiculous. These teams don't need to go 3-3 in the AFC East of all divisions. If they were good enough,they could easily go 4-2 ... if not 5-1 within the division.

The Dolphins very often beat the Patriots in Miami but still can't do much of anything else.

Look at the Chargers and Kansas City. This year,they both went 12-4 even with playing against each other and a decent to average Denver team also in the division.

Both were among the last 8 teams standing. Dallas and Philadelphia,both in the same division,were also among the final 8 teams.

It can be done.

Patriots kick butts?? The bad teams,yes,usually. When they play a team on their level for the season,they barely win by almost always catching a break. Lined up offsides etc.. This is what frustrates me about the whole 18 year run.

Except for the '04 / '05 season,I am honestly not convinced that the Patriots were the best team any other year. Including this year.

Date: January 28, 2019 06:11

the cowboys went 5-1 in maybe the worst division in football this year. they went 5-5 against the rest of the league. the eagles went 4-2 against the same crap division and again 5-5 against the rest of the nfl. those are bad examples. the KC/Chargers example is at least better. KC went 5-1 in the division and and 7-3 against the rest of the nfl. thing is it was wins against the browns, cardinals, bengals, 49ers so 4 of those wins were against terrible teams. the chargers 4-2 against the division. 8-2 against the rest of the nfl. some of those wins were the browns, bills, bengals, arizona and 49ers. on paper imo the chargers have the more impressive wins but they were the wild card team

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 28, 2019 06:57

GasLightStreet

OMG. This is embarrassing. Really? You are really reaching. Yes they have dominated, its just a fact, just compare their record with other teams from 2001 to 2018 (regular season and playoffs) I mean c'mon man.

In Brady's 1st decade 2001-2010 they went to the superbowl 4 times. Thats 40% of the seasons during that decade the Pats are in the superbowl. Next 8 years 2011 through 2018 they have been in the superbowl 5 times (including this year). That's 63% the Pats have been in the superbowl in the last 8 years. They will be in their 9th superbowl in 18 years. Dude, that's 50% of the last 18 years, the pats have been in the superbowl. What are we talking about here.

Any other team come close? I mean during this stretch all the big games, c'mon man, be a football fan and not just a pats hater; its unbecoming.

At least you are not writing the crap Winning Ugly VXII is writing. Something about great teams don't need an offsides call. Man, WTH. does that guy watch any football? Its a game of inches, and is there luck? Sure is, every champion has luck on their side in every sport, c'mon man

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 06:59 by Mr. Jimi.

Date: January 28, 2019 07:01

charlesbaudelaire
Well said. It's incredible how fussy some men can be when confronted with a truly great organization. Why doesn't the rest of the USA just surrender to the New England Patriots? I know why: they love to see the Patriots kick their butts year in and year out. I love it! And we're gonna do it again to all the girl scouts and steal their mint chocolate cookies while we're at it.

Because of the fact that A LOT of people are convinced that they have cheated in a number of ways. Maybe a majority of those people are anti-vaxxers or chemtrailers or flat earthers and watch Fox "News", I dunno, but conspiracies aside, however they got there, they've won 5 Super Bowls as a team, not with any kind of stand out player in the Super Bowl ie a blowout, etc.

Date: January 28, 2019 14:22

keefriffhard4life
the cowboys went 5-1 in maybe the worst division in football this year. they went 5-5 against the rest of the league. the eagles went 4-2 against the same crap division and again 5-5 against the rest of the nfl. those are bad examples. the KC/Chargers example is at least better. KC went 5-1 in the division and and 7-3 against the rest of the nfl. thing is it was wins against the browns, cardinals, bengals, 49ers so 4 of those wins were against terrible teams. the chargers 4-2 against the division. 8-2 against the rest of the nfl. some of those wins were the browns, bills, bengals, arizona and 49ers. on paper imo the chargers have the more impressive wins but they were the wild card team

The NFC East WAS NOT the "worst division in football". Not by far. The AFC East was. As usual.

NFC East,like I said,2 teams in the final 8. Even Washington was decent before half of their team was injured. The worst team in the division (the Giants) could still beat one of the best in the entire AFC (the Texans).

It's a great example. If having some bad teams in a division meant that 2 other teams should reach the final 8,then the AFC East should ALSO have 2 teams in the final 8 every year. Think about it.

I can think of 2 times during the past 15 + years that has happened for the AFC East.

Every NFL team is going to have games against non-playoff teams. It is just a mathematical fact. 18 out of 30 teams don't reach the play-offs.

Date: January 28, 2019 14:46

Mr. Jimi
GasLightStreet

OMG. This is embarrassing. Really? You are really reaching. Yes they have dominated, its just a fact, just compare their record with other teams from 2001 to 2018 (regular season and playoffs) I mean c'mon man.

In Brady's 1st decade 2001-2010 they went to the superbowl 4 times. Thats 40% of the seasons during that decade the Pats are in the superbowl. Next 8 years 2011 through 2018 they have been in the superbowl 5 times (including this year). That's 63% the Pats have been in the superbowl in the last 8 years. They will be in their 9th superbowl in 18 years. Dude, that's 50% of the last 18 years, the pats have been in the superbowl. What are we talking about here.

Any other team come close? I mean during this stretch all the big games, c'mon man, be a football fan and not just a pats hater; its unbecoming.

At least you are not writing the crap Winning Ugly VXII is writing. Something about great teams don't need an offsides call. Man, WTH. does that guy watch any football? Its a game of inches, and is there luck? Sure is, every champion has luck on their side in every sport, c'mon man

I have actually been watching football for 36 years. Interestingly enough,the first weekend that I really remember watching football was the '82/'83 conference championship game weekend.

Jets at Miami (both teams from the AFC East playing for the conference championship) and Dallas at Washington (both teams from the NFC East) playing for the conference championship.

Over this time period,I have seen teams actually win the Super Bowl WITHOUT catching a break or getting a close call or WITHOUT the opposing coaching staff making costly stategical errors.

'86/'87 Giants , '87/'88 Redskins , '89/'90 49ers , '85/'86 Bears , '92/'93/'94 Cowboys , '00/'01 Ravens , '02/'03 Buccaneers DIDN"T leave doubt as to who was the best team those respective years. That is just off of the top of my head.

They didn't need the other team to throw a pass from the 1 or 2 yard line into a crowd of traffic in the middle of the field. They didn't need a "Tuck Rule". They didn't need fumbles to be ruled down. They didn't need someone from the other team to line up offsides. They didn't need someone to miss a 35 yard field goal.

That's all I am saying.

Date: January 28, 2019 18:20

Winning Ugly VXII
keefriffhard4life

The NFC East WAS NOT the "worst division in football". Not by far. The AFC East was. As usual.

NFC East,like I said,2 teams in the final 8. Even Washington was decent before half of their team was injured. The worst team in the division (the Giants) could still beat one of the best in the entire AFC (the Texans).

It's a great example. If having some bad teams in a division meant that 2 other teams should reach the final 8,then the AFC East should ALSO have 2 teams in the final 8 every year. Think about it.

I can think of 2 times during the past 15 + years that has happened for the AFC East.

Every NFL team is going to have games against non-playoff teams. It is just a mathematical fact. 18 out of 30 teams don't reach the play-offs.

The afc east is not usually the worst. You pointed it out though. The winner of the nfc east only had to win 10 games. Some years the nfc east winner only wins 9 games

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 28, 2019 18:49

How about Seattle with a 7 &9 record winning the division 2010 and getting a playoff home game against the Saints who had an 11 and 5 record. So there is plenty of glaring weakness in all divisions any given year.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 22 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1398
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home