Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: is NICK CAVE the best live-performer?
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 24, 2018 01:24

crholmstrom
Dan
Heading to the Forum soon with an extra ticket, who wants to find out for themselves?

Enjoy!

Nick is very powerful, no doubt. But he's no Iggy Pop. I was at the Forum, up front in GA and he must have made super-intense eye contact with every single person in the first 3 or 4 rows. Nice for us, maybe not as interesting for everyone else. Mick, on the other hand, sets his sights a little higher. I didn't care for his shtick of bringing fans from the far seats up on stage at the end - especially those with cameras. But it was, as stated above, a very "church" experience, appropriately for the venue.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 24, 2018 13:02

DeanGoodman
crholmstrom
Dan
Heading to the Forum soon with an extra ticket, who wants to find out for themselves?

Enjoy!

Nick is very powerful, no doubt. But he's no Iggy Pop. I was at the Forum, up front in GA and he must have made super-intense eye contact with every single person in the first 3 or 4 rows. Nice for us, maybe not as interesting for everyone else. Mick, on the other hand, sets his sights a little higher. I didn't care for his shtick of bringing fans from the far seats up on stage at the end - especially those with cameras. But it was, as stated above, a very "church" experience, appropriately for the venue.

except for lollapalooza, i've only seen nick in small venues. i would be interested in seeing him in a bigger venue. but not a festival! & you are right about iggy. its apples & oranges....

Date: October 24, 2018 20:24

crholmstrom
DeanGoodman
crholmstrom
Dan

Enjoy!

except for lollapalooza, i've only seen nick in small venues. i would be interested in seeing him in a bigger venue. but not a festival! & you are right about iggy. its apples & oranges....

The only other time I saw Nick was at the Fonda in Los Angeles for Grinderman. I feel the Forum was much more rewarding. But, as you say, apples and oranges.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 25, 2018 01:18

Never heard one song from him ever here in the states.

Date: October 25, 2018 04:46

black n blue

Same here. Until I heard Johnny Cash covering "Mercy Seat," and gave Nick's original a spin.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 27, 2018 06:01

Saw him last night in DC (7th time in 10 years). A high energy, quasireligious experience. He prowls the front of the stage like a feral preacher. Up there with the best front men.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 27, 2018 10:26

black n blue

Red Right Hand was sort of a sleeper hit on the X Files soundtrack but never a mainstream artist which makes his 40 year rise to playing the Forum all the more remarkable.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 27, 2018 11:15

Saw Nick perform in St Kilda way back in 85...…
….. Screamin Jay Hawkins opened the show ……… crazy night

ROCKMAN

Date: October 27, 2018 13:15

Rockman
Saw Nick perform in St Kilda way back in 85...…
….. Screamin Jay Hawkins opened the show ……… crazy night

After visiting St Kilda, I wanted to move there.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 19, 2019 06:59

For those interested, this concert movie is now streaming on [www.nickcave.com] for a limited time.

Date: April 20, 2019 15:05

Cristiano Radtke
For those interested, this concert movie is now streaming on [www.nickcave.com] for a limited time.

watching the movie now. insanely good both in performance & presentation. the stones should get whoever directed this to film them.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: September 23, 2019 19:14

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds New Double Album"Ghosteen" Out Soon....Hoping for a European Spring Tour...Or they could do what The Cure did this Summer in Europe and hit all the Festivals...Will See..Great live Band!!

Date: October 18, 2019 13:29

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds to Tour Europe Spring/Summer 2020....Tickets on Sale next Friday....

Date: October 18, 2019 13:54

mikey C
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds to Tour Europe Spring/Summer 2020....Tickets on Sale next Friday....

I saw "Conversations with Nick Cave" a week ago. It was phenomenal!

Date: October 18, 2019 14:28

ab
Saw him last night in DC (7th time in 10 years). A high energy, quasireligious experience. He prowls the front of the stage like a feral preacher. Up there with the best front men.

That is the perfect word for his stage persona nowadays ab - "prowls"; "feral".

I don't know quite what brought about the change. If it was gradual. If it was Blixa leaving; then Harvey; if it is the evolution of material and age. But he has definitely found that thing.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 18, 2019 20:24

DeanGoodman

Nick is very powerful, no doubt. But he's no Iggy Pop.
And Iggy Pop is no Nick Cave.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 18, 2019 22:53

Boognish
DeanGoodman

Nick is very powerful, no doubt. But he's no Iggy Pop.
And Iggy Pop is no Nick Cave.

Both amazing in their own way, But yeah, I've become a Nick convert over the past few years. He is intense, and immense. Ghosteen is stunning - but hard to listen to without crying! For those in Europe - try to see him on his just announced April/May dates. MAJOR talent. Sadly, he has now officially made the leap to the arenas, though I have no doubt he will make those seem like his own personal small congregation.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 18, 2019 22:59

even if you dont like his music too much - GO and see him (them). it really is a special thing to see and experience nick cave live. very intense, outstanding performance....

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 08:30

Many people have been telling me how great Nick Cave is, yet I know this one song he did with Kylie many yers ago and that is it. It looks like he gets a lot of prize among IORRians too and it happend to me a couple of times, that I went to check an artist that I didn't know much about, based on positive feedback here on IORR. And never ever was I disappointed. So the next Friday I will try to get a ticket for Nick Cave.

As I know really next to nothing about his work, I would appreciate your suggestions, what should I watch, what should I listen to. For the beginning, I don't want a list of 10 CDs (that will come later, if I get hooked :-), now only the really essential stuff. Mostly I would want to watch some concert to get the feeling what the live experience is about. I know there is some recent concert from Copenhagen, I will definitely watch that, but is there any other really essential DVD i should watch to get to understand what is the fuss about? Thank you for your suggestions!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-19 08:32 by Happy24.

Date: October 19, 2019 09:53

Happy24
Many people have been telling me how great Nick Cave is, yet I know this one song he did with Kylie many yers ago and that is it. It looks like he gets a lot of prize among IORRians too and it happend to me a couple of times, that I went to check an artist that I didn't know much about, based on positive feedback here on IORR. And never ever was I disappointed. So the next Friday I will try to get a ticket for Nick Cave.

As I know really next to nothing about his work, I would appreciate your suggestions, what should I watch, what should I listen to. For the beginning, I don't want a list of 10 CDs (that will come later, if I get hooked :-), now only the really essential stuff. Mostly I would want to watch some concert to get the feeling what the live experience is about. I know there is some recent concert from Copenhagen, I will definitely watch that, but is there any other really essential DVD i should watch to get to understand what is the fuss about? Thank you for your suggestions!

Listen to "Live Seeds". There are some other good concert dvds out there also. The Greatest hits is a pretty good career overview. Also, there is a fantastic set from Glastonbury on youtube. Murder Ballads is a fine record. This will get you started. If you get into it, will help you go deeper if you want. Highly addictive!

[www.youtube.com]

PS: the new record "Ghosteen" is album of the year in my opinion. It is a very sad & quiet record though. Excellent Sunday morning music!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-19 10:17 by crholmstrom.

Date: October 19, 2019 11:36

crholmstrom
Happy24

Listen to "Live Seeds". There are some other good concert dvds out there also. The Greatest hits is a pretty good career overview. Also, there is a fantastic set from Glastonbury on youtube. Murder Ballads is a fine record. This will get you started. If you get into it, will help you go deeper if you want. Highly addictive!

[www.youtube.com]

PS: the new record "Ghosteen" is album of the year in my opinion. It is a very sad & quiet record though. Excellent Sunday morning music!

Exactly the kind of info I needed. Thank you very much!

Date: October 19, 2019 11:58

Happy24
crholmstrom
Happy24

[www.youtube.com]

Anytime! I try to be helpful & positive on here. smileys with beer

Date: October 19, 2019 18:20

One thing also is good old St Nick/Seeds keeps The Tickets at a reasonable price...Here in Prague will be 1290 and 1990czk.....52 and 80 Euro...

Date: October 19, 2019 19:42

mikey C
One thing also is good old St Nick/Seeds keeps The Tickets at a reasonable price...Here in Prague will be 1290 and 1990czk.....52 and 80 Euro...

some people whine about the move to arenas. Nick has done his time in the trenches & has earned it. the show where they filmed "distant sky" is phenomenal. i've seen him plenty of times in small places & the past few times the ticket crunch has been intense. the "conversations" show i saw last week was in a small, old theater. sold out in 5 minutes. looking forward to hearing some of the "ghosteen" material live.

Date: October 19, 2019 20:09

Happy24
crholmstrom
Happy24

[www.youtube.com]

I'm watching the Glastonbury set again right now (youtube link). Pretty much the current band. 1 of the keyboard players got sick & passed away since this. This starts out mellow until about halfway through the second song. At that point fasten your seatbelts! & watch out for the redhead during "Stagger Lee". Amazing.

Date: October 19, 2019 20:35

mikey C

Right you are. I wanted to see Clapton (the day before Cave actually), but no way am I paying 400 Euro for Clapton in an arena (the floor tickets are 280-400 Euro). Yet the most expensive Clapton tickets are 215 Euro in Germany and 140 Euro in Holland! So one can not blame Clapton really, it is just that some promoters in Prague lost their mind. Good to see, that not all concerts in Prague will cost double than in Germany and three times more than in Amsterdam from now on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-19 20:36 by Happy24.

Date: October 25, 2019 11:53

Just scored tickets for Nick...U Stani Podia/Standing by the Stage...I.E Pit...Went old school Went to my favorite ticket outlet no one there...I got home 30 mins later those tickets Sold-Out not bad 1,690czk/66 Euro..Sweet!!!!! Anyone else getting tickets today?

Date: October 25, 2019 13:18

mikey C
Just scored tickets for Nick...U Stani Podia/Standing by the Stage...I.E Pit...Went old school Went to my favorite ticket outlet no one there...I got home 30 mins later those tickets Sold-Out not bad 1,690czk/66 Euro..Sweet!!!!! Anyone else getting tickets today?

Yeap, got FOS too! You were lucky, getting them in the outlet, they were gone in about 10 minutes. I bought mine online, but then went to pick it up in our local outlet :-)

When the sale started, the ticketportal stopped working for me, so I got 1 FOS in the basket via ticketmaster. But TM doesn't give the option of a personal pick-up, only sending via post or print-at-home. So I waited with that ticket in the basket for ticketportal to start working, which it eventually did, but shortly before the TM basked expired. Anyway, I got one of the very last FOS via ticketportal and then picked it up in the shop...

My first time seeing him. So far I watched Glastonbury and Distant Sky. The energy and connection with audience is absolutely extraordinary. Plus the Distant Sky is beautifully filmed, it is really a how-to-film-a-concert lesson. What somehow bothers me, is the fact, that Nick seems to be out of tune most of the time. I don't have any super sensitive ears or anything, but most of the time I just can't help thinking "plese, get in tune". Seems to be sort of his trademark. I hope I will "get it" the more I will listen to him :-) Any thoughts about that?

Date: October 25, 2019 14:27

When your up close and live in person...Nick and the Bad seeds is something else even better then the Records...You will see....Dublin show sold out in 1 hour...2nd added already..Most of my friends wanted standing also FOS...But they waited and waited on line....So,they got seats...Normal GA will be a Zoo..I remember the last time...Security trying to keep people from jumping into FOS..They had there work cut out for them that Night!!!!

Date: January 18, 2020 02:46

from today's Red Hand Files:

Making art is a form of madness — we slip deep within our own singular vision and become lost to it. There is no musician on Earth that is as committed to their own derangement as Kanye, and in this respect, at this point in time, he is our greatest artist.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home