Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18
Re: Beggars Banquet, One Plus One and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets
Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: June 11, 2019 15:59

of all, i must say that there is really more that just one keef guitar audible on jjf, for example, but this is evident on the old "mono" mix from 1996 also... he strums high notes when somebody playing chords with same intensity as keef himself, with just so similar tone to his intro... so.. there might be 2 or 3 keefs on jjf and other tracks as well. this is much evident when listening carefully and watching old dvd, while closing yer eyes for a while and figuring how many guitars you actually saw and then --- heard....and....poor brian, etc

Re: Beggars Banquet, One Plus One and Rock and Roll Circus 50th anniversary sets
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 11, 2019 16:18

Brian is mostly just cruising, playing rather gently. On PW he plays a bit more like he did in past with basic 50's chuck berry rhythm.

In the old mix in addition to him being mixed low, Bill's bass was more centred which meant it mostly covered over what Brian played on JJF, PW and YCAGWYW.

No Expectations aside. Keith is a busy bee guitar wise and is really doing all the audible guitar work. He overplays to compensate for the subdued playing by Brian.

On YCAGWYW Brian plays a root and fifth C and an inverted F on the lower 3 strings. He goes to 1st position D chord then back to the inverted F for the change later.

C

1)-x
2)-x
3)-x
4)-x
5)-10
6)-8

F

1)-x
2)-x
3)-x
4)-7
5)-8
6)-8

There is a sneaky overdub probably by Keith during the very fist part of YCAGWYW before the band kicks in. It does a variation of what Brian plays. Brian's guitar comes in to the mix when the bass etc comes in.

Keith's YCAGWYW intro overdub.

1)-x
2)-x
3)-x
4)-10
5)-10
6)-8

1)-x
2)-x
3)-x
4)-x
5)-12
6)-8

JJF has Brian playing lower B power chord twice with rest of riff notes on lower two strings. He plays basic power chords during the chorus and middle eight.

Main riff.

1)-x
2)-x
3)-4
4)-4
5)-4
6)-2

1)-x
2)-x
3)-x
4)-x
5)-x-x-0-x-x-0-x-x-0
6)-0-2-x-0-2-x-0-2-x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-11 16:31 by His Majesty.

Date: June 11, 2019 16:24

NathanLaze
of all, i must say that there is really more that just one keef guitar audible on jjf, for example, but this is evident on the old "mono" mix from 1996 also... he strums high notes when somebody playing chords with same intensity as keef himself, with just so similar tone to his intro... so.. there might be 2 or 3 keefs on jjf and other tracks as well. this is much evident when listening carefully and watching old dvd, while closing yer eyes for a while and figuring how many guitars you actually saw and then --- heard....and....poor brian, etc

Nicky's piano has an odd sound and could be what you are hearing. Also, the mics are picking up other instruments, so you get distant and close mic sounds.

The solid state amps Keith is using have an unusual sound compared to normal valve amps. Heavy, but also bright. I used to own them and had a LPC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-11 16:36 by His Majesty.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 11, 2019 16:45

Cristiano Radtke
Report: The Rolling Stones prepping 50th anniversary releases

July 3, 2018

Photo by Mark and Colleen Hayward/Redferns/Getty Images

It looks as though Rolling Stones fans have several archival releases coming their way. According to various fan reports, 50th anniversary sets of the band’s all-star Rock And Roll Circus projects, along with their watershed 1968 comeback album, Beggars Banquet, are set for special reissues.

A message tipping fans off on the unofficial Facebook page “Stoned – Celebrating Everything About The Rolling Stones” read: “This September we should see the beginning of three releases by ABKCO of Rolling Stones projects. There will be a 50th Anniversary release of the album Beggars Banquet, which I don’t know all the details of. The Rolling Stones Rock N’ Roll Circus has been remastered for Blu-ray (maybe 4k as well), and the (in-studio documentary) movie One Plus One will be released on Blu-ray as well and a possible theatrical release in 3D. There might be bonus material for all three projects but I don’t have any definitive answers yet.” There’s been no official word regarding any 50th anniversary releases.

Back in 1968, Mick Jagger appeared in the rock documentary Popcorn: An Audio Visual Thing, which was released the following year and featured him talking about the Stones’ then-recent Beggars Banquet sessions. He was asked if the band was recording the type of music they themselves wanted to hear: “Is my — is the Stones music? Mmm, I quite enjoy listening to it, but there’s only just one facet of what we like to do. The album that we’ve just done is just one kind of thing. I don’t want to do that at all, y’know, I don’t think I want to do that kind of thing any more.”

The Stones perform tomorrow night (July 4th) in Prague, Czech Republic. The band wraps its 2018 “No Filter” European tour on July 8th in Warsaw, Poland.

Fast Facts:

The Rolling Stones’ Beggars Banquet was released on December 6th, 1968.

The album, which peaked at Number Four on the Billboard 200 albums chart featured such instant classics as “Sympathy For The Devil,” “No Expectations,” “Stray Cat Blues,” “Street Fighting Man,” and “Salt Of The Earth.”

The Stones’ Top Three comeback hit “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” was recorded during the Beggars Banquet sessions.

The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus was taped on December 10th and 11th, 1968 at London’s Twickenham Studios. The Circus was originally envisioned as being a holiday TV special for the Stones to promote their latest album, Beggars Banquet, and featured the band’s final performance with Brian Jones, along with along with performances by the Who, Jethro Tull, Marianne Faithfull, Taj Mahal, and the Dirty Mac — a one-off supergroup with John Lennon, Eric Clapton, the Stones’ Keith Richards, and Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell.

Not only was it Lennon’s first gig apart from the Beatles, it was also his first live appearance with Yoko Ono, when she joined the Dirty Mac for an impromptu jam.

ABKCO Records eventually released the show on CD and DVD in 1996.

Side Notes:

The Rolling Stones have announced the latest collection in their ongoing archival series with the July 13th release of From The Vault: No Security – San Jose 1999. The new set will be available on DVD, Blu-ray, DVD/CD, DVD/LP and digital formats.

The track listing for From The Vault: No Security – San Jose 1999 is: “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Bitch,” “You Got Me Rocking,” “Respectable,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “I Got The Blues,” “Saint Of Me,” “Some Girls,” “Paint It Black,” “You Got The Silver,” “Before They Make Me Run,” “Out Of Control,” “Route 66,” Get Off Of My Cloud,” “Midnight Rambler,” “Tumbling Dice,” “It’s Only Rock N’ Roll (But I Like It),” “Start Me Up,” “Brown Sugar,” and “Sympathy For The Devil.”

[www.kshe95.com]

EDIT (3 October):

Rolling Stones to Release Deluxe Reissues of ‘Beggars Banquet,’ ‘Rock and Roll Circus’ (EXCLUSIVE)

In the photo above, there is a chap to the right of Brian who looks eerily like Mick Taylor!

Date: June 11, 2019 16:51

jlowe

In the photo above, there is a chap to the right of Brian who looks eerily like Mick Taylor!

having in mind that beggars' producer was jimmy miller, and mt had a wife named rose miller... plus mt on marianne lp circa 1966... one has to think brian was preparin to be drowned. remember the jjf lyric:

i was drowned, i was washed and left for dead

no expextation lyric:

like water that splashes on a stone

or pay their dues lyric:

see the children roses piling

etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-11 16:53 by NathanLaze.

Date: June 11, 2019 16:52

That's drummer Chuck Blackwell who played with Taj MAHAL.

Date: June 11, 2019 16:54

think blackwell in the actual dvd looking to much like brian, dont he ?

Date: June 11, 2019 16:55

i watched your chord tables, His Majesty...thanks a lot! stil i dont see if brian's holding a f# chord in jjf on the old dvd footage... seems too hard for himl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-11 16:56 by NathanLaze.

Date: June 11, 2019 17:04

NathanLaze
i watched your chord tables, His Majesty...thanks a lot! stil i dont see if brian's holding a f# chord in jjf on the old dvd footage... seems too hard for himl

He plays an F# note on the 6th/lowest string at the 2nd fret.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 11, 2019 20:33

NathanLaze
jlowe

having in mind that beggars' producer was jimmy miller, and mt had a wife named rose miller... plus mt on marianne lp circa 1966... one has to think brian was preparin to be drowned. remember the jjf lyric:

i was drowned, i was washed and left for dead

no expextation lyric:

like water that splashes on a stone

or pay their dues lyric:

see the children roses piling

etc

Mick Taylor's wife was Rose Millar not Miller.

Date: June 11, 2019 23:11

The Taylor on Marianne album is a different Taylor.

Date: June 12, 2019 05:16

dont think so as there is no proof.... also, pamela mayall apears in marianne documentary, dreaming my dreams, circa 1999

video: [youtu.be]

around 32:10

Date: June 12, 2019 05:18

Miller not Millar ? oh yeah, that significal difference between richard and richards smiling bouncing smiley

Date: June 12, 2019 08:37

NathanLaze
dont think so as there is no proof.... also, pamela mayall apears in marianne documentary, dreaming my dreams, circa 1999

No proof?

Date: June 12, 2019 09:25

DandelionPowderman
NathanLaze

No proof?

I mean, is there as much micks taylors in the old school rock music as possibly it can really be, anyway ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-12 09:27 by NathanLaze.

Date: June 12, 2019 09:32

speaks for itself, a drowning pond and his ansector "ronnie's" records company

one can even see a jimmy miller credit on the label

not april fools day, but why so serious.....

Date: June 12, 2019 12:30

Taking another look and listen...

The 50's Chuck Berry type rhythm guitar we hear on Parachute woman is an overdub. It doesn't match up with what Brian is shown playing. When Brian is shown playing the berry rhythm on low E the audible rhythm on the soundtrack is playing the berry rhythm at 7th fret. It also has some syncopated phrasing and endings before chord changes which Brian isn't shown playing.

This is something that isn't present on the alt bootleg version where a more straight forward berry rhythm guitar is heard.

The alt bootleg version is rather fine, so not sure why Keith felt the need to replace Brian's part.

Meh, the circus sucks. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-12 12:34 by His Majesty.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 12, 2019 13:43

His Majesty,

Where is the bootleg that you are referencing? I heard the reference to a bootleg concerning Brian playing SFTD and was hoping to hear that as well. Thanks for any info.

Date: June 12, 2019 14:56

There are two alternate versions/takes, one of YCAGWYW and PW. Probably find them in buy/trade section.

Both seem to have sound as it was recorded without any overdubbing.

YCAGWYW features Mick on acoustic for the first part. Brian's guitar is heard on both.

This is not to be mistaken for the wonky YCAGWYW heard on 25X5 documentary with an overdubbed acoustic. That uses the same take as the officially released version.

I think it very unlikely Brian played guitar for any takes of of sympathy at the circus. He is shown playing maracas at the rehearsals at Londonderry Hotel a day or so before the actual filming.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 12, 2019 18:19

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: June 19, 2019 17:04

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 357
Record Number of Users: 184 on May 17, 2018 22:46
Record Number of Guests: 3948 on December 7, 2015 15:07

Previous page Next page First page IORR home