Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Just Play em Like On Ya Yas Boys
Date: June 2, 2018 14:22

lem motlow
3 of the 5 guys playing what you hear on ya yas are no longer with the band.

Perhaps you mean 3 of the 6?

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 2, 2018 16:00

Stu and his real, boogie and swiging piano sound was so good too...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-02 16:41 by powerage78.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 2, 2018 16:36

They couldn't re-create that kind of vibe again....it was of its time, drug and booze fuelled, with an attitude thrown in by young enthusiastic musicians at the peak of their game. Then the set ups with the sound etc, again was of its time and they'd find it hard to replicate with modern digital equipment.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 2, 2018 17:42

DandelionPowderman
lem motlow

No,Mick didn’t play anything on ya yas -he sang on it but the OP was talking about how the songs are Played in 2018 as opposed to the 69 tour.i refuse to give Jagger musical instrument credit for those maracas.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 2, 2018 20:57

Thankfully, when you see a Paul McCartney concert, the songs sound much like the original versions.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 2, 2018 22:52

I remember when I saw them in MSG back in '72 and the guitars sounded so immense and raw. When Keith hit the first chords of the opener, Brown Sugar, it sounded goosebump good and just took off from there with Mick Taylor's scorching solos on songs like SFM.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 3, 2018 01:35

Gaetzi
I think it's pretty simple: They're 75 years old. They physically can't play their catalog the way they used to.
bingo

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 3, 2018 02:27

Koen
Bands evolve, whether we like it or not...

Actually most bands regress!

Date: June 3, 2018 09:00

lem motlow
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow

No,Mick didn’t play anything on ya yas -he sang on it but the OP was talking about how the songs are Played in 2018 as opposed to the 69 tour.i refuse to give Jagger musical instrument credit for those maracas.

And the lethal harp on Midnight Rambler?

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 5, 2018 01:17

This has been brought up in other threads, but I believe modern Keith's guitar tone does not sound thin to him, the reason for the increase in treble is those are typically the first frequencies to be lost in age and noise related hearing loss.

To someone standing in front of 2 high power twins for the last 30 years and even bigger amps before that, the modern keith ice pick-ish tele bridge pickup tone probably sounds fat and the ya yas JJF tone probably sounds like mud.

I personally think the modern keith sound still comes over great live/in person, its just not as friendly to listen to on youtube recordings.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 5, 2018 03:09

The tone on the guitar intro to "Trouble" sounds AWESOME.

Much fuller sounding than his live tone.

I think you are right on when you say his current tone sounds much better in person than on youtube recordings.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 5, 2018 05:05

GYYYO/SSS : Different band members, different venues sizes, different renditions, different audio mixes, different times... talk about apples and oranges...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 5, 2018 12:08

Bungo
I was watching the Sweet Summer Sun / Hyde Park show the other day and it struck me how retarded a song like Sympathy For The Devil has become over the years compared to the amazing versions heard on Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Why don't they just play it like that? 2 guitars, drums and bass. And the guitar lines they play in these current versions are just childish and un-musical compared to the perfect simple guitar lines on Ya Yas. I just don't get it. Do they not know how good they sounded on the '69 and '72 tours? Can they not remember those classic, simple guitar lines? I can't believe they're physically or mentally incapable of playing these songs properly. The guitar parts on Ya Yas are not that damn complicated. Any reasonably competent guitar player can replicate those versions, which are the best versions they've ever played "live". I just don't f@@king get it. I quit. I'm out.

Could it be that the gig on YaYa's was played in a smaller venue compared to the stadiums nowadays? I could imagine it's harder to keep up a guitar-based rhythm in a stadium, where the sound is more "flaky". This might in general explain why the guitar is less dominant in the sound, less forming the base of the music, compared to the 60s and 70s.
Nowadays, for Mick to be able to have some steady ground under his feet, he needs the firm keyboard and a more tight rhythm. Is my guess.

But yeah, as far as live is concerned, the Stones never sounded better than on Ya Ya's and a few bootlegs of that era. Still Life is the last live album that's still worth to listen to. (Sure, on later live albums there might be some good stuff, but it can never compete with SFTD on YaYa's or Midnight Rambler on Brussels).

Date: June 5, 2018 13:31

Here's a clip from Hamburg 2017. I bet you'll hear something familiar in there smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 5, 2018 14:45

DandelionPowderman
Here's a clip from Hamburg 2017. I bet you'll hear something familiar in there smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

As far as I can hear, the guitar here does not play the latin rhythm, it's the piano and the percussion that do that.

Date: June 5, 2018 15:45

matxil
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

As far as I can hear, the guitar here does not play the latin rhythm, it's the piano and the percussion that do that.

Keith plays the Ya Yas-riff - note for note - like he always does in the middle of the song smoking smiley

Date: June 5, 2018 15:49

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Keith plays the Ya Yas-riff - note for note - like he always does in the middle of the song smoking smiley

Yes, but I am not sure that was the point of the original poster. Maybe it was.
For me, the difference is huge. On YaYa's the song is guitar driven. There's Keith's riff and Mick Taylor's rhythm.
Nowadays, it's keyboard and percussion driven. Keith can play riffs or licks or little notes here or there and you might enjoy it but it doesn't really matter if he does or not, the song will march on anyhow.

Date: June 5, 2018 15:51

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, but I am not sure that was the point of the original poster. Maybe it was.
For me, the difference is huge. On YaYa's the song is guitar driven. There's Keith's riff and Mick Taylor's rhythm.
Nowadays, it's keyboard and percussion driven. Keith can play riffs or licks or little notes here or there and you might enjoy it but it doesn't really matter if he does or not, the song will march on anyhow.

Blame the «congas»...

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 5, 2018 15:54

The bulldozer has become a good diesel bus

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 5, 2018 16:06

powerage78
The bulldozer has become a good diesel bus

...hear the diesel drumming...

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 5, 2018 17:57

All good comments. I can see now where The Boys have gone back to close approximations of the original recorded versions on a lot of their staple tunes and I can understand why. They can afford the additional players and choir's etc. now to pull that off when they couldn't in the past when, at most, they had one piano player and one saxophonist. I guess I just prefer that "stripped down" ensemble of the past when they were the most dangerous RocknRoll band around. That sound they produced back then was downright Scary. Now they are playing for the women in the audience with all of the "whoo whoo's" in Sympathy, the big "Whoooo" in Brown Sugar and the romantic dance-along of Miss You. But they're playing pretty well these days for old geezers.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: June 5, 2018 23:11

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

I agree if one compare it to the 1975 version. But you can't say its note for note as the '69 version...

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 5, 2018 23:30

What Ya-Ya´s riff in the middle of the song? Note for note?

Date: June 5, 2018 23:39

Bjorn
What Ya-Ya´s riff in the middle of the song? Note for note?

Keith's 1969 guitar riff. Many here don't hear it on the newer version. I made a recording of it.

Date: June 5, 2018 23:41

S.T.P
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

I agree if one compare it to the 1975 version. But you can't say its note for note as the '69 version...

No, it's 1969. Not as great, but the same riffing in E, D and A.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 6, 2018 00:04

Doxa
GasLightStreet
It started, obviously, in 1989 with SFTD because Mick wanted them to sound like the records. Here's Keith with that as well:

Over the years, you develop a simplified road version of a song that you get used to. But this time, we thought, Let's go back and listen very carefully to the records to find what we were originally going for when we made it. All the subtleties and the half bar jumps. We thought we ought to do the songs up proud and have the things that were on the record. And once you go back and research what you did, you say, Well, the reason we did it like that is because we had these voices or because we had these horns. That's why we have the enlarged line-up. Tumbling Dice without the voices is kind of bare.

[timeisonourside.com]

Fortunately they completely changed SMU.

That was a kind of novel idea back in 1989 to reconstruct the originals on stage, but it turned out to be a blueprint for all the tours ever since, one cannot talk much about 'evolvement' since 1989, but more like how well they manage in that reconstruction policy.

Compare that to what Jagger says in regards to BRUSSELS AFFAIR (while promoting it) - he sounded amused how "fast" the versions were back then. That makes an impression Mick is no any way related to the way band sounded back then. There is no absolutely way to go back...

- Doxa

A calculated recreation without the the creativity.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 6, 2018 02:18

LeonidP
Koen
Bands evolve, whether we like it or not...

Actually most bands regress!

I agree. All of us who have ever played in a band knows that we play differently when we are 50 (or more) compared to when we were 20. Going back in time is a fiction.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 6, 2018 02:33

And sing ALL the lyrics or don't sing it at all.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: June 6, 2018 02:37

pmk251
It is even better now that you can assemble a complete show from the deluxe edition's extra tracks.

A few years ago, you were kind enough to send me a copy of the expanded Ya-Ya’s CD that you had constructed. It hasn’t left my CD player since. Thanks again!!!

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 6, 2018 04:28

Redhotcarpet
Doxa
GasLightStreet
It started, obviously, in 1989 with SFTD because Mick wanted them to sound like the records. Here's Keith with that as well:

Over the years, you develop a simplified road version of a song that you get used to. But this time, we thought, Let's go back and listen very carefully to the records to find what we were originally going for when we made it. All the subtleties and the half bar jumps. We thought we ought to do the songs up proud and have the things that were on the record. And once you go back and research what you did, you say, Well, the reason we did it like that is because we had these voices or because we had these horns. That's why we have the enlarged line-up. Tumbling Dice without the voices is kind of bare.

[timeisonourside.com]

Fortunately they completely changed SMU.

That was a kind of novel idea back in 1989 to reconstruct the originals on stage, but it turned out to be a blueprint for all the tours ever since, one cannot talk much about 'evolvement' since 1989, but more like how well they manage in that reconstruction policy.

Compare that to what Jagger says in regards to BRUSSELS AFFAIR (while promoting it) - he sounded amused how "fast" the versions were back then. That makes an impression Mick is no any way related to the way band sounded back then. There is no absolutely way to go back...

- Doxa

A calculated recreation without the the creativity.

It was novel in 1989. It was fresh. They rode the wave of new interest and presented a fantastic greatest hits show with new songs interspersed. Hell, the cowbell had 3 different notes from the sample they did for HTW.

Fortunately the MIDI keyboard sampling hell between 2000 Light Years and SFTD died after the 1989/90 tours. But the 1989 SFTD lives on, unfortunately.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home