Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

sway debut?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 25, 2005 16:12

do you think they may have done because of all the complaining
about the setlist on this board and others, and maybe it finaly
got to them , or do you think they would have done it anyway

Re: sway debut?
Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 25, 2005 16:13

they wouldve done it anyways. look at the rehearsals page. they had it ready to go back then.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 25, 2005 16:17

good point

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: September 25, 2005 16:23

maybe did they take into account the choices of the fans when they were asked to set up a list of their requests ?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 25, 2005 16:28

the Stones know what they're doing.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: September 25, 2005 16:46

They rehearsed it but you might be right; Mick is known for his internet activity and Sway is discussed a lot on many boards in combination with the 'boring' setlists...
'come on boys, let's play Sway and shut their mouths..'

Posted by: davido ()
Date: September 25, 2005 16:59

Check out the rehearsal lists.
They still have a lot of surprises
in store. We were told about a great
horn drenched Moonlight Mile at the
gate, and of course there's more.......

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 25, 2005 17:04

For the record, this is by some distance the longest the Stones have ever gone between releasing a song and playing it live for the first time (34 years and 5 months)

That previous 'honour' belonged to "Shes a Rainbow" - released in December 1967. First played live, in Chicago 25.9.97. (29 years and 9 months)

Considering how long the Stones have been going, I cant imagine theres too many acts who could possibly have waited that long to have ever 'premiered' a song after it's initial release...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 25, 2005 17:14

Interesting statistic, and mighty impressive at that. 34 years is long enough for God's sake, it's staggering to think that they've been in buiness nearly ten years longer than that. As a matter of interest, any of you highly knowledgeable fiends out there know whether (a) Out of Time has ever been played live, and (b) whether it has featured in their rehearsals to date and is likely to be given an airing on this tour at some point ? I would LUUUUURRRRRRRVVVVVV to hear that !

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 25, 2005 17:29

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the record, this is by some distance the
> longest the Stones have ever gone between
> releasing a song and playing it live for the first
> time (34 years and 5 months)
>

If it's not too much trouble, what's the distance between Fade Away's release and performance?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 25, 2005 17:30

Most acts don't stay around long enough to have the pleasure of again and again digging deep into their backlogs and then surprising their fans with an old song from many years ago. Most artists would be lucky if people go and see them 10-20 years after they made it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: September 25, 2005 17:44

im guessin the reason it was rehearsed in toronto is mayb because of the very heavy fm radio airplay of sway the last few years here in the states,,i think its been brought 2 their attention its a fan favorite for years 2 add 2 the live set ,,and i was startin 2 think they weren't gonna do it ,, for a predictable band they sure r unpredictable ,, Sway 1st done live in Ohio ,, wow ,, go figure

Date: September 25, 2005 18:30

camper88 Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For the record, this is by some distance the
> > longest the Stones have ever gone between
> > releasing a song and playing it live for the
> first
> > time (34 years and 5 months)
> >
>
> If it's not too much trouble, what's the distance
> between Fade Away's release and performance?
>
>

a few days, probably!! It was first played on the UK tour in February-March 1964 at the time of its release

When it was brought back for the Voodoo Lounge tour on 1st August 1994, it was however the first time it had been played in almost 28 years (9th October 1966 was the most recent appearance)

The 5 longest delays for a live debut are as follows :

1) Sway - (April 1971. Premiered 24.9.05 - 34 years/5 mths)
2) Shes A Rainbow (Dec.1967. Premiered 25.9.97 - 29 years/9 mths)
3) You Got The Silver (Dec.1969. Premiered 25.1.99 - 29 yrs/1 mth)
4. Sister Morphine (April 1971. Premiered 23.9.97 - 28 yrs/5 mths)
5. Moonlight Mile (April 1971. Premiered 25.1.99 - 27 yrs/9 mths)

CYHMK, contary to the belief of some people, WAS played a couple of times in 1971 before disappearing from the set for 31 years.

To Paulywaul - surprisingly, the Stones have never played "Out of Time" in concert. I doubt its been even reherased in recent times.

To Bjornulf - absolutely right. Plus most acts who may have lasted even longer than the Stones did (Sinatra, for example) are going to perform oldies that are popular with their auduence and which they'll have previously played live many times. They're not going to unearth a long lost album cut from 34 years previously that they've never performed before.

The strange thing of course is that relative to the Stones' career, "Sway" isnt THAT old a song. Its the oldest unplayed song released during the Mick Taylor era (aside from the couple of Let It Bleed outtakes that are on Metamorphosis) but the Stones had released over 140 songs in their career that pre-date 'Sway's release - and to date, over 50 of them (all from the Brian era) have still yet to be debuted - including most of 'Aftermath', 'Satanic Majesties' and 'Between The Buttons', 2 songs from Beggars Banquet (Dear Doctor/Jigsaw Puzzle) and many older other well known songs such as Blue Turns to Grey, As Tears Go By etc.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 25, 2005 19:50

Some of these unplayed songs - including Out of Time - are from the era when they were moving away from blues/soul/r&b-b oriented material (& guitar based arrangements) & experimenting w/ different intruments & textures (thanks in part to Brian) - can't see how they might do these live. And some of them I can't imagine working live - or how they might relate to the material in 2005, & present it in a convincing way. Tracks like "2000 Light Years" worked primarily with the aid of 2 keyboardists, sampling, etc. They are back in guitar band mode this tour, & imo the covers are superb choices, they could start doing a couple more ABB songs, & there are songs that might work that have at least been rehearsed either this year or during Licks: Slave (could really cook in a long-ish version w/ controlled dynamics, jazzy/funk touches, etc a la CYHMK, w/ Keys or Tim Ries filling in for Sonny Rollins, Mick on harp, Ron/Keith solos etc - or it could fall flat), Hip Shake (coming after BOMH), Salt Of The Earth, Prodigal Son, Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions (I dig some of the '89 live versions, the guitars could really push & pull this one in some funky directions, minimal horns), Stop Breaking Down, Black Limousine, Saint Of Me (I am glad they're doing "Out Of Control" - a great live vehicle, & fairly recent too), Dance, Flight 505. And I'm not even mentioning Keith lead vocals - I really love "Thru & Thru", could use a deep & dubby "Too Rude", "This Place Is Empty" (rotated w/ The Worst), T & A, etc.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: September 25, 2005 20:00

Great to see Sway make its debut and I hope Moonlight Mile is coming soon!

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-26 00:08 by hutz13.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 25, 2005 20:02

sssoul wrote:

"the Stones know what they're doing.

Ya think? (smile)

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-25 20:03 by RankOutsider.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: September 25, 2005 20:03

SWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gimme Fingerprint File

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 25, 2005 23:54

Have they ever played "I Got The Blues?" Love to hear that one.

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: September 26, 2005 01:20

Gazza Wrote:
> CYHMK, contary to the belief of some people, WAS played a couple of times in 1971
> before disappearing from the set for 31 years.

I don't bleive that. Please tell me one date.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: September 26, 2005 01:27

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> Have they ever played "I Got The Blues?" Love to
> hear that one.

They played it in '71 and again in '99

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: September 26, 2005 02:10

I think Dylan and Sir Paul are the only other ones who are in this position of being able to pull out the occasional never played nugget. Dylan has debuted ALOT of early, suprising stuff during the Never Ending Tour. IF DOGS RUN FREE or YEA HEAVY AND A BOTTLE OF BREAD probably being the most suprising of the original songs.

Date: September 26, 2005 02:50

Pokalheld Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > CYHMK, contary to the belief of some people,
> WAS played a couple of times in 1971
> > before disappearing from the set for 31
> years.
>
> I don't bleive that. Please tell me one date.

Newcastle 4.3.71. verified by Bill Wyman in "Rolling with the Stones".
Keith & Bobby Keys have also made reference to playing it early on that tour

Date: September 26, 2005 02:52

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> Have they ever played "I Got The Blues?" Love to
> hear that one.

Debuted at the Marquee TV special, London 26.3.71
Not played again until Hartford 29.3.99 and then played a few more times on the No Security tour and at Shepherds Bush Empire in London on 8th June 1999

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 26, 2005 04:05

Paul McCartney just did the live premiere of I Will 9 days ago, which would be a period of 36 years, 10 months and I believe last year in Europe when he played I'll Follow the Sun, that it was a live premiere, which would have made it 39 years, 6 months since its release.

I really hope the Stones keep pulling out live premieres of these old songs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home