Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
semi OT viagogo in news.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 26, 2018 19:08

dont know if anyone seen the news regarding noel gallagher concert where people were turned away for buying up resale tickets from viagogo. something to do with individual names not matching peoples id.

i dont really get this as i bought from viagogo which i wont do again but i did receive my eventtim ticket which looks official to me, and does not have my name on this. can anyone clarify if A concert ticket is meant to have your name on it, or if im meant to bring my receipt from viagogo along too with id.

i dont want to turn up in warsaw and get refused entry.

Re: semi OT viagogo in news.
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 26, 2018 19:30

Last year I bought ticket from Viagogo for Paris 3. There was other's name on it. I asked about it on the board and the answer was "no worries,it's probably the name of the previous seller and does not affect your entrance". No problem, indeed. But I know nothing about problems regarding Noel Gallagher concert...

Date: April 26, 2018 19:36

im not getting this bit about names on the ticket, my ticket was bought from viagogo, supplied by eventim and does not have my name on it. problem with noel gallagher is people were turned away or had to buy another ticket because names didnt match id.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 26, 2018 19:40

I recently read about this. I guess it's a way of trying to stop resale of tickets for a profit....but how do they know it was sold as a profit?

Like will call, the buyer, or someone with the buyers ID has to be present.

When Robert Plant was playing here in a small theater a few weeks ago, e-tickets weren't available until just a couple days before the show. That might be a better way to go.

Date: April 26, 2018 19:44

i had an option to resell my ticket back to viagogo, but certainly not for a profit. i just took the option of awaiting its arrival instead, and my ticket came weeks ago.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 26, 2018 19:53

Trying to combat the scalpers and the bots I imagine .My advice people should avoid the secondary sellers .

Date: April 26, 2018 19:56

I'm still waiting my three tickets (myself, wife and son) from Viagogo, for Edinburgh concert. And now I see the story about Gallagher's show in Scotland. I'm really worrying...

Date: April 26, 2018 19:59

But how can organization(s) do that to people who have bought normally and legally tickets?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 26, 2018 20:03

As far as resale goes, not sure about Europe, but in the States I've used StubHub.

I had a situation where I bought a pit ticket (for Noel's brother), or it was advertised as a pit ticket (and it was far cheaper than all the other pit tickets on the site). When I arrived at the venue I was told it was a non-Pit GA ticket. I called StubHub and the next thing I knew, I was in the pit. They gave me choice, getting me into the pit or a full refund, I was there to see the show....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-26 20:04 by BluzDude.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: April 26, 2018 21:32

It's a condition of sale, at least with NG tickets for Dublin, that the person booking the tickets, who's name is on the ticket has to be present.

The reason is to prevent scalping. You may have *bought* legally on StubHub, but the vendor may have breached his terms by reselling where it's forbidden by the promoter.

I bought two tickets for his show in Dublin and can't sell them on, even for face value, or give them to a friend.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 26, 2018 21:38

Arctic Monkeys is the latest band to becancelling all tickets sold by Viagogo for their shows, with the warning that anyone showing up with a ticket from Viagogo will be refused entry.

They asked the big secondary brokers not to sell their tickets and said that the only option for fans wanting to sell tickets would be to advertise them at face value to other fans on Twickets.

Stubhub, GetMeIn and Seatwave did as Arctic Monkeys asked. Viagogo did not. So Arctic Monkeys are now calling for it to be shut down.

Date: April 26, 2018 22:08

And the question is: What can a fan do now, if he has bought ticket(s) from Viagogo, for an upcoming show? Especially for a show in Scotland, where happened what it happened with Noel's concert... Suggestions?

Date: April 26, 2018 22:24

Not sure. Viagogo is a reseller, not a first instance ticket agency,

You should ask Viagogo, I suppose.

Date: April 26, 2018 22:31

I'll try. But I'm afraid they will avoid giving clear answers...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 26, 2018 22:50

laertisflash
I'll try. But I'm afraid they will avoid giving clear answers...

They'll avoid giving any type of answer if they can get away with it, and most definitely not a clear one !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: April 26, 2018 23:09

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 27, 2018 00:34

laertisflash
And the question is: What can a fan do now, if he has bought ticket(s) from Viagogo, for an upcoming show? Especially for a show in Scotland, where happened what it happened with Noel's concert... Suggestions?

Get there EARLY so they are scanned as soon as possible.

Other than club and theatre gigs, the Rolling Stones never have resale stipulations on their tickets. If anything, too much money is on the line and they have too many tickets to sell to worry about who is buying them and why.

Date: April 27, 2018 00:50

Thanks for the advice, Dan.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 27, 2018 04:45

These people are the spawn of Satan and I hope that the owners rot in prison.

The UK parliament is at long last trying to get to the bottom of this swindle and to make it illegal.

It's NOT a well intentioned and useful exchange for not needed tickets - it's based on a scam business model.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 27, 2018 09:12

<<< Viagogo face court action

Viagogo were told yesterday that they face court action unless they “promptly” stop breaking the law.

The warning from the UK Government’s competition watchdog came as rival sites StubHub, Get Me In and Seatwave formally agreed to start giving better information to fans about tickets and who is selling them.

Their undertaking to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) could shed light on the huge scale of ticket touting in the UK.

The Daily Record’s Stub Out the Touts campaign has led the fight against unfair ticket arrangements, which continue to hit loyal fans in the pocket.

We have called for Viagogo, who break the Consumer Rights Act with most transactions by failing to reveal seat and row numbers, to be shut down >>>

This has been the f***ing law now for several years, resulting from a 'tweak' to the Consumer Rights Act, and yet Viagogo still don't abide by it !!?? It absolutely staggers me to think that they can still even be in business, such is their contempt for law of any kind whatsoever, not to mention the poor beleaguered consumer !

Date: April 27, 2018 13:50

So, it seems like there are two different problems with Viagogo

One: The ID issue (the case of Gallagher's concert)

Two: High probability that some (or many, who knows) of us, who are going to Edinburgh gig, will receive tickets without seat numbers. And I don't know what the hell could happen in that case.

I feel really upset and angry.

Date: April 27, 2018 14:01

laertisflash
So, it seems like there are two different problems with Viagogo

One: The ID issue (the case of Gallagher's concert)

Two: High probability that some (or many, who knows) of us, who are going to Edinburgh gig, will receive tickets without seat numbers. And I don't know what the hell could happen in that case.

I feel really upset and angry.

No, of course your ticket will have a seat number. The issue is, that you didn't know what the row number/seat number was at the time you made the decision to buy the ticket !!

And that is because Viagogo have a deliberate policy of not making that information available to those looking to buy tickets. It is this precise point that now puts them in breach of the law, and which they continue to ignore. In the end, it will cost them dearly ... because ultimately, they will be shut down for good. Both the ticket buying public and government(s) have had enough of their belligerence and routine flouting of the law .....

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: April 27, 2018 15:11

laertisflash
But how can organization(s) do that to people who have bought normally and legally tickets?

Because prior to buying tickets for certain events (Ed Sheeran is one) it is part of the contract between the ticket seller (Ticketmaster etc) and the original buyer that tickets will not be re sold on the secondary market. That contract does not exist for someone purchasing the ticket through a 3rd party i.e viagogo. Therefore you have no rights legally re entry into the gig if the contract stipulates that'd id should match the name on the ticket.

I don't remember there being anything re ID when Stones tickets went on sale so you should be ok.

On another note why did you pay over the odds for tickets on viagogo when so many are still on sale through AXS ?

Twickets is the only officially recognised ticket resale site for most artists as tickets can only be sold at face value.

Date: April 27, 2018 15:26

carouslambra
laertisflash

Because prior to buying tickets for certain events (Ed Sheeran is one) it is part of the contract between the ticket seller (Ticketmaster etc) and the original buyer that tickets will not be re sold on the secondary market. That contract does not exist for someone purchasing the ticket through a 3rd party i.e viagogo. Therefore you have no rights legally re entry into the gig if the contract stipulates that'd id should match the name on the ticket.

I don't remember there being anything re ID when Stones tickets went on sale so you should be ok.

On another note why did you pay over the odds for tickets on viagogo when so many are still on sale through AXS ?

Twickets is the only officially recognised ticket resale site for most artists as tickets can only be sold at face value.

Exactly ?

There's loads of tickets currently available from AXS, including pit tickets for pretty much every single UK show for example ... I think only Twickenham is showing 'none available' at the moment.

Date: April 27, 2018 17:26

Thanks for the info and answers, folks.

Carouslambra asks: "On another note why did you pay over the odds for tickets on viagogo when so many are still on sale through AXS ?"

The reason is very simple and maybe very... stupid. I didn't know the attributes, the exact status of every single company, when I bought tickets for Edinbourgh gig. And I bought them pretty early. In addition, I had not problems last time I bought from Viagogo (last year, Paris 3). But now I know...

Paulywaul says: "No, of course your ticket will have a seat number. The issue is, that you didn't know what the row number/seat number was at the time you made the decision to buy the ticket !!"

In fact... or supposedly, I selected section and row, buying the tickets. The mystery is about seat numbers...

Date: April 27, 2018 20:50

laertisflash
Thanks for the info and answers, folks.

Carouslambra asks: "On another note why did you pay over the odds for tickets on viagogo when so many are still on sale through AXS ?"

The reason is very simple and maybe very... stupid. I didn't know the attributes, the exact status of every single company, when I bought tickets for Edinbourgh gig. And I bought them pretty early. In addition, I had not problems last time I bought from Viagogo (last year, Paris 3). But now I know...

Paulywaul says: "No, of course your ticket will have a seat number. The issue is, that you didn't know what the row number/seat number was at the time you made the decision to buy the ticket !!"

In fact... or supposedly, I selected section and row, buying the tickets. The mystery is about seat numbers...

A lot of sites hide seat numbers, ostensibly to protect buyer privacy but more to protect the seller's seats.

Your tickets are most likely legit but it sounds like a lot of fake tickets are sold through the site which is why I recommend getting there early so if duplicates are out there you can be the first scan.

The problem with bad barcodes are more due to inattentive sellers blowing tickets out on multiple platforms though it sounds like Viagogo's business practices encourages shady behavior.

They don't have much of a presence in the U.S. that I can tell but I spent like ten seconds on that site looking for Desert Trip bargains and saw their "fake sellout" scam in action and just closed the window.

Also, the ticketing companies are mainly an agent between the venue and the consumer. In the case of Noel Gallagher they decided not to honor these tickets and also had replacement tickets ready at the box office. In most cases, the promoters and venues are taking on too much of a financial risk to worry about who is buying the tickets and why.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2018 21:07

Correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but I recall Desert Trip being in cahoots with Viagogo - when tix supposedly "sold out" on the official Desert Trip site the first day of sale, they provided a link to "our friendly partner Viagogo"... poor suckers who fell for it paid above and beyond, and in the end the entire secondary market crashed with three day PIT passes going for as little as apprx. $350 or less (original official price at $1500+).

Date: April 27, 2018 21:16

Hairball
Correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but I recall Desert Trip being in cahoots with Viagogo - when tix supposedly "sold out" on the official Desert Trip site the first day of sale, they provided a link to "our friendly partner Viagogo"... poor suckers who fell for it paid above and beyond, and in the end the entire secondary market crashed with three day PIT passes going for as little as apprx. $350 or less (original official price at $1500+).

Wow I have no idea. I had no intention of going to Desert Trip until the price crash so I wasn't paying attention at all but it could be that's why it came on my radar when I had barely noticed the site before.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2018 21:21

Dan
Hairball

Wow I have no idea. I had no intention of going to Desert Trip until the price crash so I wasn't paying attention at all but it could be that's why it came on my radar when I had barely noticed the site before.

Yeah pretty sure that's the way it was - never heard of them before or since then...but will avoid like the plague after reading the current shady scams going on.

Date: April 27, 2018 22:35

Thanks, Dan.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home