Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Worst picture of Mick. Ever.
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 3, 2018 19:40

keithsman
Mathijs
Its just total bullshit, all these stories about Jagger using coke on the 81/82 tour. They really were way too professional by then. Coke kills your voice, its totally unbelievable Jagger would spend two hours warming up only to kill his voice with a line of coke before he goes on to entertain 90,000 people.

Mathijs

Did you hear Mick's voice on that tour, his voice was completely shot by coke

Yupe I agree. Very spacey too.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 3, 2018 19:45

Cooltoplady
keithsman
Mathijs
Its just total bullshit, all these stories about Jagger using coke on the 81/82 tour. They really were way too professional by then. Coke kills your voice, its totally unbelievable Jagger would spend two hours warming up only to kill his voice with a line of coke before he goes on to entertain 90,000 people.

Mathijs

He gave up drugs after meeting Jerry Hall late 70'ies.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 3, 2018 19:58

mtaylor
Cooltoplady
keithsman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Not strange, horses dig cool people.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 3, 2018 20:06

Actually no one knows. We are not there. We are not Mick.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 3, 2018 20:22

I m beyond caring about their bad habits of the past or currently. For their age, they seem healthier than your average 70plus year old. And when you can see all who they have outlived, it's pretty remarkable endurance they have.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 3, 2018 21:03

Well, that was really tiring, that show, I'll think I'll just take a nap on this cold pavement...........................smoking smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 3, 2018 21:05

keithsman
dcba
Mathijs
Its just total bullshit, all these stories about Jagger using coke on the 81/82 tour. They really were way too professional by then.
Mathijs

I'd question the "they" in you post (Keef and Ron were still "unprofessional" let's leave it at that...) but you have to credit Jagger for foreseeing the change of era that occured at the beginning of the 80's.

The hedonist 60's and the dark 70's were gone, the 80's were to be the decade of performance, achievements, cleanliness, and Mick totally got that.

Wasn't he some sort of musical yuppie? smoking smiley

Well everyone was doing coke behind closed doors in the 80's, while rock stars and celebrities were all getting on the bandwagon behind slogans like "JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS". People perceived at the time as anti drugs like Boy George and George Michael were all at it. Worse than coke too. Hollywood and the Jet set socialites were having parties with huge bowl's of coke on open display on the dinning tables, and countless people in Hollywood have confessed to it being widespread in the 80's. But don't get caught using it by the authorities though, then you were left out of the in crowd and your career could be over for many years..

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: April 3, 2018 21:08

According to what I remember from the 94 Voodoo Lounge segment on 60 minutes, Sir Mick did not give up drugs until that tour. I remember a seen where he was sitting behind a desk, looking at documents or signing them and when asked about finally quitting drugs, he said something like, "he's not a very quick study".

Date: April 3, 2018 21:08

mtaylor
Cooltoplady
keithsman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Watch Mick late 78' live in Texas and tell me he wasn't on drugs.

I think Mick started to live a much cleaner lifestyle in the early 80's and i'm sure with the best intentions he started out coke free in 81' but i think at that time being Mick in front of 80 thousand people in broad daylight might have given him the impetus to use a little coke to get him through, that was a long hard tour and he must have been exhausted some night's.
Yeah that was the start of the fitter healthier Mick but i bet he dabbled.
By 89' Mick was a totally different animal, sober, straight, fitter, jogging, going to the gym, drug & alcohol free, but something was never the same after, he was never the same creative force.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-03 21:23 by keithsman.

Date: April 3, 2018 21:13

More Hot Rocks
Actually no one knows. We are not there. We are not Mick.

Well in that case what's the point in saying anything about the Stones , we are not them eye rolling smiley

Date: April 3, 2018 21:28

There's an interview on youtube where Jagger stated that he used drugs for about 20 years. If that includes softdrugs it would be 1964 + 20 = 1984. That's about the time he got his shit together and started recording with clean musicians. He quit smoking heroine when he met Jerry Hall. She insisted, she's the boss.winking smiley

Date: April 3, 2018 21:30

TheflyingDutchman
There's an interview on youtube where Jagger stated that he used drugs for about 20 years. If that includes softdrugs it would be 1964 + 20 = 1984. That's about the time he got his shit together and started recording with clean musicians. He quit smoking heroine when he met Jerry Hall. She insisted, she's the boss.winking smiley

That sounds about right , spot on imho.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 3, 2018 21:54

Drugs and alcohol can be a positive stimulus for an artist when you're young, but when you spend 50 years they become a terrible obstacle to both creativity and performance on a stage.
To think that the Stones have not changed is absurd, everyone changes!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 3, 2018 22:10

To think Mick has never touched an illegal drug in over 30 years seem equally hard to believe. He learned moderation, certainly. Does he still indulge in certain company? Definitely. Does he ever use it to give an extra bump when performing? Likely. If you believe Jerry got Mick to stop using all illegal drugs in 1978, you likely believe Keith stopped using hard drugs after the Toronto bust. Sometimes you say things publicly because it's wise to do so. Mick used quite a bit of coke during the SHE'S THE BOSS and DIRTY WORK sessions, to the extent that he thought he needed to rein it in afterwards. Has he touched coke since then? I would say yes, even if he isn't (strictly speaking) a user any more.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 3, 2018 23:16

mtaylor
Cooltoplady
keithsman
Mathijs

Mathijs

grinning smiley No he didnt. He stopped smoking heroin according to Jerry.

Date: April 3, 2018 23:35

Rocky Dijon
To think Mick has never touched an illegal drug in over 30 years seem equally hard to believe. He learned moderation, certainly. Does he still indulge in certain company? Definitely. Does he ever use it to give an extra bump when performing? Likely. If you believe Jerry got Mick to stop using all illegal drugs in 1978, you likely believe Keith stopped using hard drugs after the Toronto bust. Sometimes you say things publicly because it's wise to do so. Mick used quite a bit of coke during the SHE'S THE BOSS and DIRTY WORK sessions, to the extent that he thought he needed to rein it in afterwards. Has he touched coke since then? I would say yes, even if he isn't (strictly speaking) a user any more.

Once again great post Rocky, do you mind if i ask you where you read or heard Mick was still using coke recreationaly around the She's The Boss time frame. Because that fits in with a couple of interviews i watched when he was promoting that album where he looked fried to me, i mean so stuck for words, like he'd been up all night. Put it this way he didn't have the healthiest glow i've ever seen on him.
By 1987 the time of Primitive Cool when he was promoting the lets Work video he really did look the picture of good health.
Some people just stop taking drink and drugs in an instant, for others like Keith or Ronnie it can take decades to slowly completely stop. Mick doesn't really strike me as someone who ever did more than dabble recreationaly.
He loves himself to much to mess himself up like Keith has.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 3, 2018 23:38

He said they were all, he included, too @#$%& up to tour behind Dirty Work.

Date: April 4, 2018 00:00

Redhotcarpet

Yeah that was the time when Charlie was on heroin.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 4, 2018 00:17

keithsman
Redhotcarpet

ALL?
I don't think Bill was.
Nor Ian Stewart.

Date: April 4, 2018 00:25

I remember watching a video about merchandise on the 1994 tour called "the goods" or something like that. They showed all the available merchandise and had interviews. Mick walks into a room, looks on the floor and picks up something from the floor. He scratches the top of it, smells it and says "some hash, oh well finders keepers" and puts it in is pocket.
Whether he was a user on not at that time I cannot say but I think putting it in your pocket is a sure sign you had an intention of doing something with it.

jlowe
keithsman
Redhotcarpet

ALL?
I don't think Bill was.
Nor Ian Stewart.

He means the four members that are still Stones today.

Not Bill. He always stayed away from drugs. Smart guy.thumbs up

Date: April 4, 2018 00:29

TheflyingDutchman
Not Bill. He always stayed away from drugs. Smart guy.thumbs up

Bill said that the reason he didn't ever take hard drugs was because of his obsessive nature, he took to weed once and said he couldn't put it down for a year, it completely consumed him.

So yes a very smart guy, he new he couldn't trust himself to go there.

Date: April 4, 2018 00:50

Nile Rodgers talked about he and Mick being so wasted at Power Station in Autumn 1984 that he couldn't recall much about the sessions. As RedHotCarpet mentioned, Mick said he, Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie were in no shape to tour because of drug use and poor relationships. Mick did not name Bill, but there were concerns (not resolved until late 1986) that Bill might have some trouble with the authorities over Mandy. Bill said he spoke with Scotland Yard and the Surete and they had no issue since Mandy's mum was not claiming any wrongdoing despite tabloid headlines. Long story short: Bill had issues of his own, but Mick was not about to discuss them publicly.

No offense to JLowe, but Ian Stewart's sobriety was never a concern. Fans love him. Keith pays tribute to him often. The truth is most albums after the early days can count Stu's contribution as a cameo only. Much as I loved his boogie-woogie playing, they did him a favor by letting him play. He wasn't, strictly speaking, needed. That may sound heretical because we're all influenced by what they state publicly ("It's Stu's band, we're still working for him"). Flip through Stu's contributions over the last 15 years of his life and you'll realize that nice as he played, he wasn't "part of the band" any more. He was a friend who sat in. He was more of a road manager who handled the mobile studio and administration of their office more than anything else. I know I sound like a jerk for saying that, but it's the truth. Stu was marginalized very early on. If not, look to his contributions that are more than a couple seconds of audible piano on a couple tracks per album at best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 00:57 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 4, 2018 01:53

keithsman
Bill said that the reason he didn't ever take hard drugs was because of his obsessive nature, he took to weed once and said he couldn't put it down for a year, it completely consumed him.

In Stone Alone, he said he began smoking it to help him to quit cigarettes, so he replaced tobacco with cannabis.

What that means is, every time he would like up a cigarette, he would smoke a joint instead.

So, for that year he was smoking around 20 joints a day.

He mentions that over that year's time, he was becoming less productive.

Talk about Stone(d) Alone!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 4, 2018 03:11

keithsman

Seen it many times and I don't think he was. I feel like the drug thing starts to become a way to take the wind of his sails. Like he wouldn't be like that if not for the drugs. Sure there were times he was high , but not all the time and he didn't need to be to have all that energy on stage. Is it that hard to believe that it's just how good of a performer he is? People do this with other artists too. The attribute the passion and and energy they exude to "they must be on coke".

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 03:18 by ryanpow.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 4, 2018 06:26

EddieByword

Well, that was really tiring, that show, I'll think I'll just take a nap on this cold pavement...........................smoking smiley

Was that in Paris or Manhattan? As I remember this was a French paparazzi that Mick got into a tussle with in 1986.

Date: April 4, 2018 06:39

Paris in the late 1970s.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 4, 2018 07:14

Rocky Dijon
Paris in the late 1970s.

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks and good 2013 thread linked!

Date: April 4, 2018 09:50

ryanpow
keithsman

Seen it many times and I don't think he was. I feel like the drug thing starts to become a way to take the wind of his sails. Like he wouldn't be like that if not for the drugs. Sure there were times he was high , but not all the time and he didn't need to be to have all that energy on stage. Is it that hard to be lieve that it's just how good of a performer he is? People do this with other artists too. The attribute the passion and and energy they exude to "they must be on coke".

As I said, after watching the Stones live in Dallas Texas 78' and most people will agree he's on something. Not a great performance and Mick even laughs at it himself saying he looks like he had attention deficit disorder or something. He looks wrong, manic, strange, not himself.

We will have to agree to differ on this one winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 11:57 by keithsman.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home