Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goats Head Soup live songs
Posted by: southboundtrain ()
Date: September 23, 2005 12:24

This is a multi-response thread...

Goat's Head has been quite neglected in the live show. I've been wanting to start a thread about this and in particular the song "100 Years Ago." This is one my favorite Stones songs, but a performance of it might see the same fate as a song like Sister Morphine, which I remember as messy during the 10/6/97 Madison show. As much as I like 100 Years Ago there is that strange transition into "Call me lazy bones," where I could see the song falling apart live. I know they played it a couple times in the seventies and I remember hearing an audience-recording of it once. Can anyone comment on hearing a recording of 100 Years Ago live and how it was? Maybe it was just played once or something.

The other responses I wanted to hear had to with what you thought the most likely song from Goat's Head--besides Angie and Star Star--to be played during the current tour. My guess would be "Silver Train." I have a gut feeling that this is going to get a performance sometime in 2005/2006.

'The buds were bursting and the air smelled sweet and strange'

Re: Goats Head Soup live songs
Date: September 23, 2005 12:52

100 Years Ago:
The version I have is great, but Taylor's playing isn't as good as on GHS. Jagger sings great though. I'm not certain about which boot it's in, but I think it is "From The Vault" or "Hillside Blues". On one of these boots, a live version of Silver Train is included.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-23 13:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 23, 2005 12:56

southboundtrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The other responses I wanted to hear had to with
> what you thought the most likely song from Goat's
> Head--besides Angie and Star Star--to be played
> during the current tour. My guess would be
> "Silver Train." I have a gut feeling that this is
> going to get a performance sometime in 2005/2006.

They have played Heartbreaker a few times this year.
I don't think they rehearsed any other GHS songs for the tour.
Winter was rehearsed in 2002, but never played live.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2005 14:29

southboundtrain Wrote:
> The other responses I wanted to hear had to with
> what you thought the most likely song from Goat's
> Head--besides Angie and Star Star--to be played
> during the current tour. My guess would be
> "Silver Train." I have a gut feeling that this is
> going to get a performance sometime in 2005/2006.

Aside from Angie, Star Star and Heartbreaker, I'd be very surprised if the Stones ever play anything from Goats Head Soup again for the rest of their career

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: September 23, 2005 14:34

I have a boot called 100 years ago from Vienna '73 where they played it, I think the only time they did.
It worked fine live so they could do it.

Quit funny is that they were introduced in German: Mein damen und herren, die Rollende Steinen...lol

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 23, 2005 14:38

I love silver train - they did pratice that song in 72/73 but the song live sounded to much like all down the line.

Date: September 23, 2005 14:40

Well Keith might someday play coming down again on piano as part of his
crooning act LOL.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 23, 2005 15:40

That would be nice.

Not sure how alluring the image of that wrinkly sixty-one year old's tongue in someone else's pie is, however.

Date: September 23, 2005 16:10

100 Years was played twice - Goodnight Vienna (Sept.1,1973) and a few days later in Germany - Mannheim On Ice or Fire and Brimstone.Silver Train was played three times,I believe.I'd say Silver Train or Coming Down Again,which doesn't have anything to do with crooning,have the best shot to be played or played again,respectively.I still don't think we know every song that was rehearsed.The word on the street is that around 100 songs were rehearsed.How many do we know about?60?

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 23, 2005 16:20

"The word on the street is..." LOL that phrase always cracks me up. Like there are all these 80's style pseudo-leather-gang bangers, who look like some Liberace idea of a West Side story cast who are whispering and communicating in secret hand signals "psst..boys is doin the heartbreaker now...pass it on"
100 years live they did the predictable long jam on the ending with the Wah wahs. CXan't rememebr if it was Taylor or Billy on clavinet who wah wahs. (Chief "Billy Who Wah Wahs"...mightyly)
I recall hearing that they had rehearsed Can you hear the music at some point to do live. I thought in the beginning always that the main riff was on keyboards until I knew it was keith on a big guitar. That is actually not a bad song. Maybe it should be faster.
And of course GHS will always be elevated alnoe by having "Winter" on it. This one works well live if you check out the beautiful version that Taylor did with Carla Olson.

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: September 23, 2005 16:28

I recall in 1994, seeing a photo from the Toronto rehersals: in background was a board with song titles written on it, in marker. One title was "Dancing With Mr. D". So, the Stones have thought about playing Goats Head Soup songs (other than Angie/Heartbreaker) rather recently (1994 is considered "recent" in Stones world!).

I picked up a re-release copy of Goats Head Soup a week or so ago, and its really an under-rated album.

Also, I recently re-read an interview with Mick Taylor & Keith Richards, from Sep 1973. I think Taylor said they didn't like 'Sliver Train" live, because it sounded too much like "All Down the Line". Taylor claimed Jagger wrote " '100 Years Ago', about 2 years ago" (c1970/71), that "'Winter" was the first track laid down at the sessions (Nov 1972).

I think the goats head in the pot would have made a great cover shot, rather than inner sleeve photo!

According to Nico Zentgraphs research (if memory serves), the Stones had rehearsed "Can Your Hear The Music" prior to the 1973 European Tour--but of course to this day, it hasn't been played live.

Date: September 23, 2005 16:36

I have that 72 boot from birminham alabama it has cant you hear the
music real bad sound quality from a stage rehersal.

Posted by: Cat ()
Date: September 23, 2005 17:09

I would also like to hear "100 Years Ago" live sometime this tour.
Maybe they could make a nice extended jam version out of it รก la "Can't you hear me knocking".

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 23, 2005 17:35

Like said above I would be really surprised if they ever did anything besides Angie, Heartbreaker or @#$%& live when it comes to GHS.
Be surprised if we ever heard them do anything from Dirty Work, Steel Wheels (maybe Slipping Away), Undercover, Satanic Majesties, Now, Between the Buttons (besides Ruby Tuesday), Decmeber's Children, or 12X5.

Wow just realized how many albums they have that they really will never play live. Even their first one, Aftermath or Out Of Or Heads you will hear practically nothing from besides Satisfaction and if your lucky Paint it Black. That's a shame, those are some great albums.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 23, 2005 19:29

You are right J-J. I don't think we will ever hear any songs from a bunch of those albums. How cool would Had It With You be on the b-stage or in a theater. Nice Stonesy rock and blues.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 23, 2005 19:48

J-J-Flash Wrote:
> Wow just realized how many albums they have that
> they really will never play live. Even their first
> one, Aftermath or Out Of Or Heads you will hear
> practically nothing from besides Satisfaction and
> if your lucky Paint it Black. That's a shame,
> those are some great albums.

I agree. I'm glad I got to hear Under My Thumb in 97 and That's How Strong My Love Is in 02/03. Heart Of Stone was only played a few times in 02, and I wasn't at any of the shows where they played it.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: September 23, 2005 20:05

"According to Nico Zentgraphs research (if memory serves), the Stones had rehearsed "Can Your Hear The Music" prior to the 1973 European Tour--but of course to this day, it hasn't been played live."

Check out the boots "Rattling About" and "Can You Hear The Music" to listen to the Rotterdam 1973 tour rehearsals. Recorded at the Doelen.

Incl. Can you hear the music, 100 Years Ago and Hide Your Love.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 23, 2005 21:38

Did they rehearse @#$%& for this tour? I'd love to hear that one live. Anybody know when they last time they played it in concert was?

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 23, 2005 21:48

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> Did they rehearse @#$%& for this tour? I'd
> love to hear that one live. Anybody know when they
> last time they played it in concert was?

They played it on the Licks tour. Three times. In Rotterdam, Amsterdam and the last time was in London. It's on the Four Flicks DVD, on the Twickenham show! It's named Star Star there, actually.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-23 21:49 by Reptile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home