Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sympathy For The Devil at Altamont 1969, wow!
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 28, 2018 07:34

Together with the visuals, is there a better version? The sound is absolutely brilliant. Considering all the chaos on stage and in the audience with the Angels the playing is spot on. Charlie and Bill are just slugging it out. Keith and Mick and tearing up the guitars. Mick sounds great keeping it together. One thing though, is the song truncated at the end or did it end that way.

A lot of those 1969 women by the stage are just gorgeous. The naked chick, where did she come from. You never know what your gonna get at a general admission Stones show. The song is raw, unpredictable, and full of energy. Play it loud.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Sympathy For The Devil at Altamont 1969, wow!
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 28, 2018 07:50

Chugging along...danger...chaos...confusion...wicked...beauty...intensity...rock and roll...tragedy...mesmerizing...

Posted by: Marthijn ()
Date: March 28, 2018 12:25

it must have been terrifying for the band as well.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 28, 2018 17:22

Still have a dream of all the Maysles film being released. They must have a complete NY and Altamont on film unless its been lost or destroyed

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 28, 2018 17:49

DrPete
Still have a dream of all the Maysles film being released. They must have a complete NY and Altamont on film unless its been lost or destroyed

Didn't someone come out last year and say they have the film but it would be a job to make them watchable? That is far and away the thing I would most want to see from the Stones vault.

Wasn't someone on this board writing a book about Altamont? Does anyone know what happened with that. I believe he interviewed people who can be seen in the film.

I like trying to figure out who the Angels were that appear in the film. I figure out a few of them.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:16

When Jagger is sitting viewing the show on that archaic monitor, you can see lots of reels of film. I wonder if those are Stones concert footage films or does it belong to someone else. (at the end of the Under My Thumb video after the stabbing)

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 29, 2018 06:05

Amazing clip, I don't remember the whole song being in the movie. The version is mesmerizing.

Date: March 29, 2018 09:09

Ya gotta love the girl at 8:02 also! smiling smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 29, 2018 10:12

Listening to some Songs from Altamont I must say I am surprised how good they were playing despite the chaos. Wouldn't this be a great vault release?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 29, 2018 10:30

I doubt they'll release Altamont, but if they did; it would probably be the best selling title in the "From The Vaults" series, no other RS shows are more famous than Altamont 1969.
Shows like Toronto 1977 and LA 1973 are only famous among people like "us"

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 29, 2018 10:42

They sounded so awesome at Altamont. There is something different with the over all sound. I wonder if the Dead helped them getting it perfect. Also both Taylor and Richards used more guitar effects (like uni vibe and distortion). Keith's performance on Sympathy is epic.. Never before, or after, has this song sounded so powerful.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 29, 2018 11:13

The Sicilian
Together with the visuals, is there a better version? The sound is absolutely brilliant. Considering all the chaos on stage and in the audience with the Angels the playing is spot on. Charlie and Bill are just slugging it out. Keith and Mick and tearing up the guitars. Mick sounds great keeping it together. One thing though, is the song truncated at the end or did it end that way.

A lot of those 1969 women by the stage are just gorgeous. The naked chick, where did she come from. You never know what your gonna get at a general admission Stones show. The song is raw, unpredictable, and full of energy. Play it loud.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Yes it was shortened. The full performance can be heard on audience recordings. I don't think there's a soundboard that gets it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 11:13 by MrTurner.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 29, 2018 12:23

A while ago I tried to make the complete track using an audience source.
Here are two of my efforts with merged ending.

[we.tl]

Date: March 29, 2018 12:38

MileHigh

Yes that has always been one of my favorite scenes of the entire film. She gets that coy look o her face, and tosses her hair once she realizes Mick Jagger is looking at her. Then there's that dude right next to her, who is equally in love with Jagger, and who we have seen before already; transfixed. He yells something at Jagger then. Maybe "I don't know, man".
The footage from Altamont is so incredibly interesting. We know the tale, and watching all the close up footage is like the best reality show ever Fear Factor meets 60 Days In on Survivor Island.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 29, 2018 14:31

The devil sure was at that gig.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 29, 2018 14:32

This is good stuff, and with the band playing for their lives, they played their proverbial a$$e$ off.

Mick Taylor's eyes at 3:47 of the clip tell all for me - "What has Jagger gotten us into? Whatever it is, let's get thru it." Years after, when I met Mick T. and asked him what it was like, he responded with words along the lines of the preceding quote.

I must RESPECTFULLY say that while titularly the fountainhead for so many writings about Altamont, IMHO, SFD only got better and better (performance-wise) after the 1969 tour and Altamont. As wonky as is the Hyde Park version, I prefer it and that off L.A. Forum 75 and Love You Live to any of 1969 versions, because there, we get a glimpse of the Stones only real live foray into "jam band" world where the musicians can stretch out and groove.

After that, when the band resurrected SFD in 1989 - WOW, different, but tight and sassy groove where Keith knew the world expected him to really play the solo, and (like the old days) he got out front (or on the side-platforms for the cameras) and nailed it.

Like it, like it, yes, I do!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: March 29, 2018 17:46

Palace Revolution 2000
MileHigh

Yes that has always been one of my favorite scenes of the entire film. She gets that coy look o her face, and tosses her hair once she realizes Mick Jagger is looking at her. Then there's that dude right next to her, who is equally in love with Jagger, and who we have seen before already; transfixed. He yells something at Jagger then. Maybe "I don't know, man".
The footage from Altamont is so incredibly interesting. We know the tale, and watching all the close up footage is like the best reality show ever Fear Factor meets 60 Days In on Survivor Island.

As soon as you mentioned "tosses her hair" I knew who you were referring to. Man I fell in love with that girl in just those few moments. So seductive she is.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 29, 2018 18:05

MrTurner

[we.tl]

big tyke did a mix audience/soundboard including the beginning of sfd

but good work of merge the end.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 29, 2018 18:10

The Sicilian
Palace Revolution 2000
MileHigh

As soon as you mentioned "tosses her hair" I knew who you were referring to. Man I fell in love with that girl in just those few moments. So seductive she is.

She looks like she got caught with her hands in the cookie jar the second she sees Mick looking at her, tosses her hair to give a good impression, and then says the hell with it and goes back to having fun. smiling smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 29, 2018 18:18

The Sicilian
Palace Revolution 2000
MileHigh

Boy do we have different tastes in women. Why would to try and claim Jagger was looking at her there? I am always amazed by what people claim to see.

Not sure why you would say the guy next to Jagger is in love with him. Now if you watch a great entertainer you are in love with them? What? A few of the Angels are watching Jagger also. Were they in love with him?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 19:44 by stanlove.

Date: March 29, 2018 18:50

vancouver
MrTurner

[we.tl]

big tyke did a mix audience/soundboard including the beginning of sfd

but good work of merge the end.

I just checked my files and I have the SFTD first take at 3:08 and the restart second take at 7:28, both audience versions.

My source is the (VGP 113 - The Killer Festival - Altamont 1969) from (1997)

I'd love to hear the full soundboard without any cuts.

Date: March 29, 2018 18:58

Erik_Snow
I doubt they'll release Altamont, but if they did; it would probably be the best selling title in the "From The Vaults" series, no other RS shows are more famous than Altamont 1969.
Shows like Toronto 1977 and LA 1973 are only famous among people like "us"

Agreed, but even the "us" would love to get our hands on a clean soundboard of Altamont without any cuts.

Just to hear "The Sun is Shining" and debut of "Brown Sugar" would be worth the wait. I think it is one of the best shows of 1969, even with all the delays and restarts. The VGP 113 audience has some nice crowd noise in it. The "wo wo's" in "SFTD" and lots of yelling and other stuff.

Date: March 29, 2018 20:31

This show has the best versions of J.J.F., SFTD, Stray Cat Blues, Gimme shelter, and Under My Thumb, from 1969.

Date: March 29, 2018 20:56

JJF is sloooow....

Date: March 29, 2018 22:29

DandelionPowderman
JJF is sloooow....

Haunting slooow!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 22:31 by S.T.P.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 29, 2018 22:46

Always felt that Altamont was one of the best performances of the 1969 tour along with Detroit and the MSG shows.

The Altamont SFTD is in the top three for me but Detroit is still my favorite and the Ya Ya's version is right up there as the best.

the 1969 tour version is my favorite with perfect pacing IMHO which they lost in later tours and played it too fast for my taste.

Would love to see vault release of Altamont but doubt we will see it as,long as Mick is alive.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 29, 2018 23:28

Always loved how when it was all going to hell and Mick gets the band to stop except Keith who finally stops ABRUPTLY. Just found it amusing

Date: March 30, 2018 01:48

Hairball
The Sicilian
Palace Revolution 2000
MileHigh

She looks like she got caught with her hands in the cookie jar the second she sees Mick looking at her, tosses her hair to give a good impression, and then says the hell with it and goes back to having fun. smiling smiley

She's adorable and has such a great vibe going on. She even flashes peace signs twice, and the second time she flashes it's only for 1/20th of a second.

There is indeed some real film magic in Gimme Shelter. If you watch it to pay attention to what the camera men are doing it's amazing. The have free reign to pick out moments of interest and focus in on them. And there are a lot of these magic little moments in the film. And of course the one with the stoned-out Hell's Angel freaking out on the blast of the amplifiers and pulling on his hair is absolutely epic and utterly frightening.

Date: March 30, 2018 02:27

Another thing that is so fascinating on a cultural level is that if you roll back the clock just 20 years then what is taking place is unimaginable and inconceivable. Blasting rock music, psychedelia, long hair, freaky fashions, hippies, drugs, counter-culture, peace movement, youth revolution, youth rebellion, do your own thing, tripping, communes, it's a gas, gas, gas man.

In 1949 all of this was utterly inconceivable. And that's what gives the era so much of its charm, the fact that it was all uncharted territory and everything was so new new new.

And if we roll back the clock to 1998? Meh...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 30, 2018 03:20

MileHigh
She's adorable and has such a great vibe going on. She even flashes peace signs twice, and the second time she flashes it's only for 1/20th of a second.

Love how she peruses the crowd, has the brief interaction with Mick, goes back to having fun and then casually drags on her cigarette. Would love to see an update on her.. likely about 65 or so now.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home