Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Keiths guitar on Brown Sugar studio recording
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 25, 2005 19:41

So 'Mick' wrote the 'intro' to BS? Amazing. I can see him writing the body of the song (verse/chorus) but that intro? (and everything leading up to the verse) It's SO Keith. I guess if you're playing in a band with Keith while learning to play the guitar, who else would you sound like! LOL

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-25 19:45 by RankOutsider.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: November 4, 2005 06:10

Keith also started using gibson firebird reverse and unreverse again during the early and mid 1970s

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 4, 2005 12:27

RollingStonesRob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith also started using gibson firebird reverse
> and unreverse again during the early and mid 1970s

No, he didn't. He only used a reverse V for the IORR promo video. Other than that, he never used a Firebird again after 1967. In interviews he has said that he liked the look of them, but he hated the way they played and sounded.

Mathijs

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: November 4, 2005 15:46

Excellent picures withsssoul and a wonderful insight into how Brown Sugar was born.
Terrific guitar and recording info. from all posters especially Mathijs whose guitar and
technical knowledge is un-surpassed.
Mick did write BS in the middle of a desert in Australia on a portable electric guitar in the summer of 1969 whilst making the Ned Kelly movie.
Mick had time off the set for a couple of weeks due to a hand injury and the result was BS.
Mick to this day insists that it was never called Brown Pussy as the lyric was all to do with the dual combination of drugs and girls.
BS was played at Altamont (Dec. 1969) well before it was released in 1971 on record and was recorded at Muscle Shores Sound Studio,Alabama.
KR during these heady drug/drink fueled days was mainly responsible for the cracking sound on the Jumpin Jack Flash & Brown Sugar recordings by using different distortion methods as explained in detail by other posters.
Keith's comments on this track are that 'We use acoustic guitars a lot to shadow the electric,always have done,it gives another atmosphere to this track and makes it less dry.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 4, 2005 20:10

The drum beat on Brown Sugar is very similar to You Got Me Rocking I noticed recently. If only the YGMR mix had the guitar on top of the drums like BS then YGMR might actually rock.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 23, 2006 17:44

this cool shot seems to fit this thread better than anywhere else:
some Stones guitars slouching around backstage in 1969. :E

- 1969, courtesy of Mathijs (don't know who took it, sorry!)

Mathijs identifed them on another thread:
"Left to right: Ampeg Dan Armstrong with Modern Drive Pickup
Fender Mustang short-scale bass
Taylor's '58 Les Paul
Taylor's 1961 SG
Keith's '59 Gibson ES-355, capoed for Midnight Rambler
Keith's '59 Gibson LP Custom, capoed for JJF and SFM.
Ampeg Dan Armstrong with Rock Treble pickup"

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 23, 2006 18:37

Ahhh, that's Rock and Roll Guitar Heaven! Thanks Msss Soul for reposting that!

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: June 23, 2006 18:51

Brown Sugar recorded with Gibson SG and a small Fender tweed, little brown thing, and one pedal for forshinky

which type of fuzz or booster
Posted by: shinesun ()
Date: July 22, 2006 15:24

hi guys

this is my first time in this forum,i'm italian and i have to do attention with my bad english but i hope you help me to improve my knowledge.
well,i have seen all your opinion about gear,mic,amps...but i think there is another aspect of keef's sound:the fuzz or booster
because in simpaty for example during the solo of keith there is a new sound of guitar,more compressed such as a fuzz with less gain or maybe a booster..
do you know how type of pedal keith used?
ciao

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: July 22, 2006 19:08

the black beauty was a great guitar... the dan armstrong looked cool but tended to go out of tune... the flying v was a disaster at hyde park - totally out of tune... more importantly, what what keith on when he recorded brown sugar??

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 22, 2006 19:11

81 or 2 i guess

Nice & Gentle Keith

Posted by: donnywas ()
Date: July 22, 2006 20:09

Hi guys,

one of the best threads of all time on this board :-) (no kidding)

Great pictureas as well, but weren't some of these guitars stolen by some locals and hangers-on while they were recording at Nellcote? I thought I'd read about it somewhere. One of the harder losses Keith had to suffer down there in France. Reportedly they were tripping (Gram Parsons also present at the time) in the living-room while the thiefs took the guitars...
Some of these guitars showed up later at auctions or were sold, but Keith had himself some new ones custom made by Newman Jones (among them the brown five-string "skull"-model he later played on the 75-76 tours.

Btw, is the black ES-355 (capoed for Rambler in the pic) the same one that he plays on the current tour for IORR, Rocks Off etc. ???

And when did he get that (also black) 1972-Tele Custom that he almost exclusively used on the 1981/2-tours for all Standard-tuned Songs and that he now uses for the Open-G tunes (JJF and Happy f.ex.). I first noticed it on a picture of the T.O.T.A. 1975.
He also used that guitar in Open G on the second Wino tour (can be seen in the Boston 93 Video).

Isn't it amazing that Keith Richards relies on the same guitars for such a long time? (these Fenders are real workhorses so it seems). I think he knows exactly what sound he gets from which guitar and therefore uses them to fit the songs...

cheers,

donnywas

Re: Keith's guitar on Brown Sugar
Date: July 24, 2006 12:30

>> Keith had himself some new ones custom made by Newman Jones (among them the brown five-string "skull"-model he later played on the 75-76 tours. <<

the five-string "skull" guitar (aka Macabre, aka the Pirate Zemaitis) was/is a Zemaitis, not a Newman-Jones instrument.
it vanished shortly after the 78 tour and now he's got a replica that he's using for Sway -
you can read about it on the "Keith's custom jobs & other oddities" thread listed here: [www.iorr.org]

>> Btw, is the black ES-355 (capoed for Rambler in the pic) the same one that he plays on the current tour for IORR, Rocks Off etc. ??? <<

don't know which shot you mean but: the one(s) Keith had in 69/70/71 wouldn't be the same one he's using now -
i believe Mathijs has noted that those 355s were among the ones stolen at Nellcote.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-25 11:56 by with sssoul.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 29, 2008 20:09

Yeah that's an 81-82 picture of those guitars because of that horrible Ovation Jagger used. That's the only time I've ever seen him with one of those dreaded things. Looks like one anyway, all pregnant.

Er, yeah, believe it or not, Mick Jagger knows how to play guitar in open G as well and actually came up with the BS riff or lick.

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: February 29, 2008 20:17

skipstone
Yeah that's an 81-82 picture of those guitars because of that horrible Ovation Jagger used. That's the only time I've ever seen him with one of those dreaded things. Looks like one anyway, all pregnant

I think the photo is from Kansas City 15th of november 1981,the red guitar with white pickguard looks like the one Mick Taylor used during the set.

Big T

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: March 1, 2008 12:42

There is a delay on there panned to the opposite speaker....

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 1, 2008 17:05

I listened to Brown Sugar (studio version) through headphones recently and noted how much delay/reverb there actually is on the recording. It bounces from left to right, so much that I thought it was a delay effect. It may very well be just a bit of slap back reverb, or natural room reverb, but the panning exaggerates it through headphones.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 9, 2010 03:37

Thank you all for this thread

Date: October 23, 2010 07:52

Hi, I saw a pic on Ethan Russell's site, that I am not able to load up. But it's of Keith playing a Dan Armstrong in 72. I wasn't aware that he used it on that tour at all. It is backstage I think, but still..it's 72.
It was the only place I could see I Armstrong in the Ratbag thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-23 07:53 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: JJFlash2010 ()
Date: October 23, 2010 09:19

uz2bstoned
-------- Ok, so what would you use to reproduce that sound live? Delay, or, echo?

A little reverb and and a clean amp cranked to just distort. The echo comes from the way it would have been miked in the room

Get a good tube pedal, like an Ibanez TS-9. Set the drive pretty low and the tone somewhere in the middle. You won't likely be turning up your amp as loud as Keith's was when they recorded Brown Sugar. You can get a sound like a big distorted amp that's turned up to 10, using compression, with a descent tube pedal or emulator. You can get a lot of the Keith sound through a TS-9. You can get it to sound like playing through a clean channel at volume 10, with the drive set lower, or full distorted-tube sounding with the drive set high.

Date: October 23, 2010 13:43

>> I saw a pic on Ethan Russell's site, that I am not able to load up. But it's of Keith playing a Dan Armstrong in 72 <<

thanks for pointing it out - you mean this site here: [www.ethanrussell.com]
beautiful slide show to go with Keith's book release!

>> It was the only place I could see I Armstrong in the Ratbag thread. <<

there's a bunch of photos of his 1969-71 DA and the one he used on the ABB tour in the "custom jobs & other oddities" thread: [www.iorr.org]
but you're right that that thread also needs a shot or two of Keith with the "replacement" DAs in 72

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-23 16:29 by with sssoul.

Date: October 23, 2010 14:30

Thank you. I have to be honest: I checked the 'Oddities' thread through Page 1, and then saw 8 more pages, and 'Ouch' I packed it in.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 23, 2010 16:19

Palace Revolution 2000
Hi, I saw a pic on Ethan Russell's site, that I am not able to load up. But it's of Keith playing a Dan Armstrong in 72. I wasn't aware that he used it on that tour at all. It is backstage I think, but still..it's 72.
It was the only place I could see I Armstrong in the Ratbag thread.

think KR used this on the 1st few shows of 1972 then ditched it...

great thread, brilliant photo of the 1969 guitar assortments...thanks

Date: October 23, 2010 16:26

>> think KR used this on the 1st few shows of 1972 then ditched it <<

right - we've updated the other "custom/oddballs" thread now: [www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1171
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home