Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Steve Winwood, Liverpool O2 Academy, Friday 22nd October 2010
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 23, 2010 12:43

Hello,

My final show in a week of heritage acts, hah-hah!
I'll have to admit that I admire and respect, rather than love Stevie Winwood, and I don't have any of his material except a couple of Spencer Davis classics.

That said, this man has an unbelievable amount of talent: we tend to always associate him with the Hammond organ more than anything else, but what an unbelievable guitarist he is too!
A really fluid soloist who loves to give it some crunch too- if that had been his stablemate Eric playing then we'd have gone ga-ga...and to top it off he still has his great soul voice intact. Swine!

Unfortunately S.W.'s stuff veers a little too close to Santana-territory for my liking at times during his two hour show, but it is still a complete joy to hear 'I'm A Man' or 'Gimme Some Loving'. Some player!

Cheers,

Si.

Re: O/T Steve Winwood, Liverpool O2 Academy, Friday 22nd October 2010
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 23, 2010 14:38

Saw him at The Junction, Cambridge, 2 years ago Si and half the show was filled with brilliant versions of Spender Davis and Traffic songs and the other was muso workouts with cheesy sax a la Santana as you said. Such a shame that he has lost his creative muse in the recording studio. His Spencer Davis and Traffic work is up there amongst the very best IMO - of course Jimmy Miller was producing the early stuff. Great pix once again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home