Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Gene and Ace slaughter Jumpin Jack Flash
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 16, 2018 17:52

The most offensive comment I've ever received about one of my (many) tattoos..
"Hey.. Nice Kiss tongue".. re: (one of) my Stones tongue tatts.. angry smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 16, 2018 17:58

HonkeyTonkFlash
matxil
keefriffhard4life
matxil
I haven't listened to it and I ain't gonna listen it, but it's like asking Britney Spears to sing an opera by Mozart. A little children's act trying to make music.

yeah stones songs are so hard to play

If you think good music is about "hard to play", well, we're on different wave lengths then. It wasn't "hard to play" that I was aiming at.
However, yes, although the chords might be easy, Stones songs are hard to play well. They have that in common with most blues or Bo Diddley or Chuck Berry, for example.

That's always been a pet peeve of mine; people who judge how good music is by how "hard" it is to play. And I play guitar so I can appreciate technical difficulty but that alone never impresses me. I listen to music as a fan, not a musician. If it sounds good and moves me, that's what I consider good. I'd rather hear Keith bend two notes with feeling than hear some whiz fingers play clouds of lightening fast runs. I have an older brother who always disses what I listen to, such as Stones. He'll say, "anybody can play that." Drives me nuts. People who think like that just don't "get it," in my opinion.

Sounds like you have talked to some led Zeppelin fans.

There are tons of people who think you can talk through who is a better artist. They think they can explain to you why a certain artist of better then another, They think if you point out that one artist can play things the other can't then they win the debate.

All I care about is whether or not I like what is coming out of the speakers. I don't give a crap if a guy can play with a violin bow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 18:01 by stanlove.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 16, 2018 18:00

Eleanor Rigby
dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

Yeah KISS's success is a true mystery.

Ace and Gene go ok, jesus they were bigger than the Stones in late 70's early 80s...

Why do people make claims like this all the time. No they were not. They were never bigger then the Stones. Sounds like one of those behind the music shows where they claim everyone at one point was bigger then the Beatles.

When did Kiss play stadiums?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 16, 2018 18:16

stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
matxil
keefriffhard4life
matxil
I haven't listened to it and I ain't gonna listen it, but it's like asking Britney Spears to sing an opera by Mozart. A little children's act trying to make music.

yeah stones songs are so hard to play

If you think good music is about "hard to play", well, we're on different wave lengths then. It wasn't "hard to play" that I was aiming at.
However, yes, although the chords might be easy, Stones songs are hard to play well. They have that in common with most blues or Bo Diddley or Chuck Berry, for example.

That's always been a pet peeve of mine; people who judge how good music is by how "hard" it is to play. And I play guitar so I can appreciate technical difficulty but that alone never impresses me. I listen to music as a fan, not a musician. If it sounds good and moves me, that's what I consider good. I'd rather hear Keith bend two notes with feeling than hear some whiz fingers play clouds of lightening fast runs. I have an older brother who always disses what I listen to, such as Stones. He'll say, "anybody can play that." Drives me nuts. People who think like that just don't "get it," in my opinion.

Sounds like you have talked to some led Zeppelin fans.

There are tons of people who think you can talk through who is a better artist. They think they can explain to you why a certain artist of better then another, They think if you point out that one artist can play things the other can't then they win the debate.

All I care about is whether or not I like what is coming out of the speakers. I don't give a crap if a guy can play with a violin bow.

True. One day my brother was dissing Keith Richards when the subject of Chuck Berry came up. I tried to get my point across by reminding him how great the playing on Ya Yas was. He said, "Yeah, I like Ya Yas but Mick Taylor did all the HARD parts." Totally misses the point. Like I said, I like what sounds good and gives me a good feel, could care less if it's easy or next to impossible to play.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 16, 2018 18:18

How embarrassing

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 16, 2018 18:20

stanlove

I don't give a crap if a guy can play with a violin bow.

What cracks me up about LZ is 99% of the band's catalogue verifies the old Ian Stewart adage about the Stone's studio works. When during recording sessions he heard sth he didn't like, he'd say "that's BS! Chinese riffs!".

Well, most of LZ songs (especially after LZ II) are made of Chinese (BS) riffs.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 16, 2018 18:22

Redhotcarpet
No not really. He has a typical immigrants view on why America is great. Self made, came from nothing. Doesnt give a crap about being PC. Gives s lot to charity. Often cringeworthy but so what. You gotta hand it to him, he had a vision, found a great partner and made hist..kisstory.

The dream that if you work hard enough you can always make it, is just that: a dream. Most hard working people end up nowhere. Unless they have rich parents, then they can even end up president without doing a single day of hard work and not knowing shit from shinola.

Anyway, KISS. It was popular because it was a gimmick: painting their faces and that guy on bass sticking out his tongue. Little children's stuff, on a par with Spice Girls or the Monkees. Only the Monkees actually had a few moderately good songs. Once KISS took their masks off, it was over for them.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 16, 2018 18:26

I don't think I can name more than 8 songs by Kiss. Sorry.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 16, 2018 18:53

matxil
Redhotcarpet
No not really. He has a typical immigrants view on why America is great. Self made, came from nothing. Doesnt give a crap about being PC. Gives s lot to charity. Often cringeworthy but so what. You gotta hand it to him, he had a vision, found a great partner and made hist..kisstory.

The dream that if you work hard enough you can always make it, is just that: a dream. Most hard working people end up nowhere. Unless they have rich parents, then they can even end up president without doing a single day of hard work and not knowing shit from shinola.

Anyway, KISS. It was popular because it was a gimmick: painting their faces and that guy on bass sticking out his tongue. Little children's stuff, on a par with Spice Girls or the Monkees. Only the Monkees actually had a few moderately good songs. Once KISS took their masks off, it was over for them.

Gene grew up in a single household with a mother who was a Holocaust survivor.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 16, 2018 19:52

Watched the beginning of this late last night before turning it off and now watched JJF - that entire video was really bizarre and bad.
Not sure what was worse...their playing throught the video, or the voice of the gal filming who was just as annoying! lol

Reminds me of jamming with a friend after a night of heavy drinking - start a song, but one of our guitars is way out out of tune. Tune up and try another, but the other doesn't quite know how to properly play the song.
Next tune - sing loud to cover up mistakes on guitar. Next tune, make stupid jokes while the other is getting into a groove. Finally, both end up playing completely different songs, but it actually sounds better than everything else that we played previously!! winking smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 16, 2018 20:29

Gene has actually written some great bass lines...he definitely learned from McCartney in terms of writing catchy, bouncy bass lines (not nearly as talented, obviously).

I dislike his personality...I have no problem with his success or wealth. Trying to make it sound like we dislike him because of that is ridiculous, especially considering we're STONES fans.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 16, 2018 22:18

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 22:20 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 16, 2018 22:32

Hairball

Reminds me of jamming with a friend after a night of heavy drinking - start a song, but one of our guitars is way out out of tune. Tune up and try another, but the other doesn't quite know how to properly play the song.
Next tune - sing loud to cover up mistakes on guitar. Next tune, make stupid jokes while the other is getting into a groove. Finally, both end up playing completely different songs, but it actually sounds better than everything else that we played previously!! winking smiley

GREAT DESCRIPTION!!!

Sounds like you and I have been to some of the same parties!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 16, 2018 23:25

40 000 fans at Tiger Stadium 1996 aint bad. They never were the Stones but they have great songs and they were always ”real” musicians in a real band with the make up. Their personalities always came through. The Beatles had identical costumes and haircuts, the Stones relied on Brians and later Keiths outlaw image which Mick adopted and used in his public image. Besides, hos many Stones songs do you think the non Stones fan knows? Three?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 16, 2018 23:49

Isn't this very close to prostitution? Or are they giving away their earnings to charity?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 16, 2018 23:55

Stoneage
Isn't this very close to prostitution? Or are they giving away their earnings to charity?

Gene and Charity LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Listen, Gene (and the rest of them) are money loving whores and will do anything for it (despite Ace and Peter claiming they have integrity, I'm a big fan but they really are the same as Gene and Paul), but I gotta say, if fans will pay for it who are really the ones to laugh at in this scenario? Its kind of yet another example of how Gene is a genius, knowing that people will pay for this crap. Its kinda the saddest state of our human race.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 16, 2018 23:57

Gene, please stop. Just stop. Stop plastering your implants with poof-spray.
Stop having your face yanked up & stitched, as your belly button is now
somewhere around your nipples.
The other one, what's his name. Ssssshhh. Just ssssshhh.

Gene has a lot of great ideas that never got off the ground.
He has a Museum of Self. No one gets past the Nausea Room.
What's most amusing about him, tho, is nothing.
I admit they deserve credit for that Made for TV Kiss Movie,
where they fought monsters or something in an Amusement Park or something.
Mock if you must, but seldom has American Television been gifted
with such adroit dramatic characterizations.
To hear them speak those lines defintely raised the bar for other
musical entertainers who have dreams of displaying their thespian skills.

Date: February 17, 2018 00:19

I've only seen a few clips on youtube, but from what I've seen it's possibly as "great" as the Sgt Pepper movie with Leif Garret and Peter Frampton in an explosive nauseating trainwreck kind of way. winking smiley

KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park (1978) clip 01

Looks like the entire movie is on youtube for those who have nothing better to do in life.

Date: February 17, 2018 01:04

RollingFreak
Stoneage

Listen, Gene (and the rest of them) are money loving whores and will do anything for it (despite Ace and Peter claiming they have integrity, I'm a big fan but they really are the same as Gene and Paul), but I gotta say, if fans will pay for it who are really the ones to laugh at in this scenario? Its kind of yet another example of how Gene is a genius, knowing that people will pay for this crap. Its kinda the saddest state of our human race.

gene gives a ton to charity

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: February 17, 2018 01:37

Redhotcarpet
40 000 fans at Tiger Stadium 1996 aint bad. They never were the Stones but they have great songs and they were always ”real” musicians in a real band with the make up. Their personalities always came through. The Beatles had identical costumes and haircuts, the Stones relied on Brians and later Keiths outlaw image which Mick adopted and used in his public image. Besides, hos many Stones songs do you think the non Stones fan knows? Three?

40,000 fans doesn't mean anything. Didn't some dictators have rallies with more people? I think most of this band's music stinks, but that's just my opinion. Gene and Paul love this reaction to their music. Gene actually said "KISS is a fireworks show with a beat".

Date: February 17, 2018 01:40

Cristiano Radtke
On a (kind of) related news, Gene is releasing a book titled “27: The Legend and Mythology of the 27 Club”, on which he "will serve as our guide to the enigmatic 27 club, examining sex, drugs, and rock’ n’ roll from the inside, and answering our enduring questions…"

I wonder what kind of news he can "reveal" about Brian Jones' death. eye rolling smiley

[www.amazon.com]

I bet my book will be better, it will be filled with all kinds of musician interviews, art, and great stories, none of which mention KISS.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 17, 2018 02:15

My distaste for Gene's pomposity aside, KISS has some GREAT hard rock songs. Black Diamond, Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, Shout it Out Loud, Love Gun, Creatures of the Night, I Love It Loud, Hotter than Hell...I could name a lot of them.

As far as iconic American rock'n'roll bands, they're up there with Aerosmith and Van Halen...maybe a notch below, but still up there.

Date: February 17, 2018 02:45

keefriff99
My distaste for Gene's pomposity aside, KISS has some GREAT hard rock songs. Black Diamond, Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, Shout it Out Loud, Love Gun, Creatures of the Night, I Love It Loud, Hotter than Hell...I could name a lot of them.

As far as iconic American rock'n'roll bands, they're up there with Aerosmith and Van Halen...maybe a notch below, but still up there.

You know the pomposity of Gene is an act he puts on, right? I've been with him a couple of times and he was very nice, a real gentleman. Paul is really the arrogant one.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 17, 2018 03:04

keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
Stoneage

Indeed...met him a couple of times at different events for children's charities - despite the bombast of his public persona, he's really a decent guy.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 17, 2018 03:25

dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

Teenage boys were their most popular market. Their success is based more on marketing than music.

Date: February 17, 2018 03:50

Jah Paul
keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
Stoneage

Indeed...met him a couple of times at different events for children's charities - despite the bombast of his public persona, he's really a decent guy.

go over to the steve hoffman forum and look what he did for a member there who is sick

Date: February 17, 2018 04:00

TravelinMan
dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

Teenage boys were their most popular market. Their success is based more on marketing than music.

I never could relate to any of it, but I knew a kid in Jr. high who was far too into Kiss around '76 - he dressed up as one of them during Halloween, etc., and was just a general nuisance with all things Kiss.
He's probably the only reason I became aware of them at the time as they were never played on the radio, and almost everyone else I knew was in to real bands that played real music like Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, etc.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 17, 2018 07:59

I'm sure this isn't good (not going to bother watching it). I was never a fan. I can probably only think of a handful of their songs off the top of my head, but to call them talentless or suggest they made it on image only is ridiculous. I don't like them, but there's a world of difference between not liking someone's music and them being talentless. People say the same about The Stones or Dylan, etc. You might not "get" something, but it works for their audience and they worked hard to endure. Good for them. I've always been bugged by the attitude of "I don't like it, therefore it's garbage only stupid people like." Life isn't that simple. Is Gene Simmons an a$$hole? Sure, for lots of reasons. He's also a good businessman and, as others have said, he's generous to those in need. People are more complex than just being a womanizer or greedy or holding a political view the majority dislike. Life isn't simple.

Date: February 17, 2018 10:57

TravelinMan
dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

In the late 70s perhaps but now its a nostalgia and vault act. Part of the lure is their iconic 70s New York image. They were huge in Sweden, Finland and Norway in the 80s. An American brand. Liberating. About Gene: he’s not his public persona. I dont know the man but it’s an act for sure. Like Imagine-Lennon in 1971 or Jagger the punk rocker.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: February 17, 2018 15:01

Redhotcarpet

Well said.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1608
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home