Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. Old Grey Whistle Test live on BBC 4 till about midnight U.K. time Friday Feb 23rd.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 23, 2018 23:42

Just had a look here in U.K. and looks good.

Peter Frampton, Albert Lee and Mollie Marriot looking back at old times at the moment.

Here's a link and will be on BBC i/ player after broadcast.

Possible old Stones footage shown from the past.

Old Grey Whistle Test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-23 23:50 by crawdaddy.

Re: O.T. Old Grey Whistle Test live on BBC 4 till about midnight U.K. time Friday Feb 23rd.
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 25, 2018 01:36

Some very brief extracts of the 1970s interviews with Mick and Keith.
That was all.
After 1966 the band were very snooty about doing TV music shows, certainly in the UK.
Shame, because OGWT was great, for its time. Not at all show biz, focussing on albums not singles. Perhaps the BEEB couldn't afford them?
Heck, even Dylan did a performance!

Re: O.T. Old Grey Whistle Test live on BBC 4 till about midnight U.K. time Friday Feb 23rd.
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 25, 2018 01:53

Dylan did the 'Hard Rain' NBC-TV concert in '76 which was shown as a Whistle Test special the same year. He never performed for the show itself (unless youre counting that filmed jam session in '85 in London in which he refused to sing).

Likewise, the Stones 'Aux Abbatoirs' Paris concerts were shown as a Whistle Test special. The OGWT started in '71, the year the Stones all moved to France, so I guess they never spent enough time in the country as a band to do anything for it other than the occasional filmed interview.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 25, 2018 18:43

Gazza
Dylan did the 'Hard Rain' NBC-TV concert in '76 which was shown as a Whistle Test special the same year. He never performed for the show itself (unless youre counting that filmed jam session in '85 in London in which he refused to sing).

Likewise, the Stones 'Aux Abbatoirs' Paris concerts were shown as a Whistle Test special. The OGWT started in '71, the year the Stones all moved to France, so I guess they never spent enough time in the country as a band to do anything for it other than the occasional filmed interview.

I think if the will had been there, they could have done the odd show...or even a full programme of them in concert, as other Acts did.
I think Mick was worried they wouldn't have full control, or a below par performance would not do their image much good.
Hence the delay in putting out RRCircus.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 26, 2018 02:38

well..they were evidently happy to have the Paris'76 shows broadcast as a standalone concert special, and those performances were widely panned as 'below par'

As far as an in-studio special (which I assume is what you mean), I guess they felt they simply didnt need to. Mind you, had home video been around in the 70s, the prospects of a cash-in release with such a gig might have made them re-think.

Most major rock acts of the 70s did very little television, when you think about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home