Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Gene and Ace slaughter Jumpin Jack Flash
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 17, 2018 15:34

stanlove
Eleanor Rigby
dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

Yeah KISS's success is a true mystery.

Ace and Gene go ok, jesus they were bigger than the Stones in late 70's early 80s...

Why do people make claims like this all the time. No they were not. They were never bigger then the Stones. Sounds like one of those behind the music shows where they claim everyone at one point was bigger then the Beatles.

When did Kiss play stadiums?

haha...maybe it was a typo smiling smiley
but they were bigger than the Stones in Australia in 1979/1980 period.
You only have to see the footage of KISS in Australia in 1980 to see that.

Stadiums??? well they played VFL park - which is a footy stadium in Melbourne and drew the biggest crowd ever (australia/NZ) when they were in Australia in 1980...the Stones in 1973 didnt play stadiums.
I don't get that comment anyway....so you need to play stadiums to be "big" ???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-17 17:07 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 17, 2018 17:17

Jah Paul
keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
Stoneage
Isn't this very close to prostitution? Or are they giving away their earnings to charity?

Gene and Charity LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Listen, Gene (and the rest of them) are money loving whores and will do anything for it (despite Ace and Peter claiming they have integrity, I'm a big fan but they really are the same as Gene and Paul), but I gotta say, if fans will pay for it who are really the ones to laugh at in this scenario? Its kind of yet another example of how Gene is a genius, knowing that people will pay for this crap. Its kinda the saddest state of our human race.

gene gives a ton to charity

Indeed...met him a couple of times at different events for children's charities - despite the bombast of his public persona, he's really a decent guy.
Yes, I've listened to podcasts with him where he comes off as very intelligent.

But when he's in his "act" mode, he's utterly repellent and I have no use for him. He also got banned from Fox News studios last year for being a boorish lout with the staff (both male and female).

I mean, how bad do you have to act to get banned from FOX NEWS? That's like being banned from a frat house for Chrissakes.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 17, 2018 20:10

Eleanor Rigby
stanlove
Eleanor Rigby
dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

Ace and Gene go ok, jesus they were bigger than the Stones in late 70's early 80s...

Why do people make claims like this all the time. No they were not. They were never bigger then the Stones. Sounds like one of those behind the music shows where they claim everyone at one point was bigger then the Beatles.

Stadiums??? well they played VFL park - which is a footy stadium in Melbourne and drew the biggest crowd ever (australia/NZ) when they were in Australia in 1980...the Stones in 1973 didnt play stadiums.

I've heard of them playing stadiums now and then but never, ever to the extent that the Stones have. Didn't they do some stadiums when they toured with Aerosmith some years back?

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: February 17, 2018 20:17

HonkeyTonkFlash
Eleanor Rigby
stanlove
Eleanor Rigby
dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

I've heard of them playing stadiums now and then but never, ever to the extent that the Stones have. Didn't they do some stadiums when they toured with Aerosmith some years back?
That was back in 2003...saw that show, and it was in an amphitheater, not a stadium.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 18, 2018 01:25

keefriff99
Jah Paul
keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
Stoneage
Isn't this very close to prostitution? Or are they giving away their earnings to charity?

Gene and Charity LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Listen, Gene (and the rest of them) are money loving whores and will do anything for it (despite Ace and Peter claiming they have integrity, I'm a big fan but they really are the same as Gene and Paul), but I gotta say, if fans will pay for it who are really the ones to laugh at in this scenario? Its kind of yet another example of how Gene is a genius, knowing that people will pay for this crap. Its kinda the saddest state of our human race.

gene gives a ton to charity

Indeed...met him a couple of times at different events for children's charities - despite the bombast of his public persona, he's really a decent guy.
Yes, I've listened to podcasts with him where he comes off as very intelligent.

But when he's in his "act" mode, he's utterly repellent and I have no use for him. He also got banned from Fox News studios last year for being a boorish lout with the staff (both male and female).

I mean, how bad do you have to act to get banned from FOX NEWS? That's like being banned from a frat house for Chrissakes.

I was mostly joking. I actually think he's a really good guy and I'm a fan of all of them, despite their vices.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 18, 2018 15:15

The idea that Kiss is all fake, that their success solely relies on something Bill Aucoin and Howard Marks created stems from the Rolling carved in Stone perspective on Kiss and on rock music as an art form untouched by Ad men. As if Brian Epstein, Oldham or Warhol didn’t create their brands. The Stones hired Miller to help create a larger than life image with anthems often based on existing songs just like Kiss did when they hired Bob Ezrin.

How did Velvet make it? Yes they are better and Kiss is shite in comparison but they made it thanks to a greatest advertiser, the man who invented himself, Warhol. A Gene Simmons of the 60s. From soup cans to lunch boxes.

When I hear Gene actually play great bass lines that dont sound like Buffalo farts and realize he wrote some really good riffs, some great songs and…many not so great songs Im just as surprised as when i saw that clip of Jagger playing Brown sugar on guitar. Or I can’t be satisfied. And all this time he pretended it was all about business.

Date: February 18, 2018 15:39

Redhotcarpet
The idea that Kiss is all fake, that their success solely relies on something Bill Aucoin and Howard Marks created stems from the Rolling carved in Stone perspective on Kiss and on rock music as an art form untouched by Ad men. As if Brian Epstein, Oldham or Warhol didn’t create their brands. The Stones hired Miller to help create a larger than life image with anthems often based on existing songs just like Kiss did when they hired Bob Ezrin.

How did Velvet make it? Yes they are better and Kiss is shite in comparison but they made it thanks to a greatest advertiser, the man who invented himself, Warhol. A Gene Simmons of the 60s. From soup cans to lunch boxes.

When I hear Gene actually play great bass lines that dont sound like Buffalo farts and realize he wrote some really good riffs, some great songs and…many not so great songs Im just as surprised as when i saw that clip of Jagger playing Brown sugar on guitar. Or I can’t be satisfied. And all this time he pretended it was all about business.

and its awesome he played this song live the other day

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: February 18, 2018 16:00

Face palm. Horrible.

Date: February 18, 2018 16:59

Yeah that was horrible. Nevertheless. Stanley said Gene throws out stuff and if it sticks it sticks. He seems to be able to do that, to have no pretentions at all and sometimes he comes/came up with good songs and some great riffs and ideas. He's not a typical rock star. Stanley on the other hand is. He's actually a good song writer.

Date: February 18, 2018 17:01

They're in two separate keys LOL. They go into 'Gimme Shelter" too, which is better.
But "2000 Man" from the Unplugged show is pretty good.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 18, 2018 17:13

Eleanor Rigby
stanlove
Eleanor Rigby
dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

This is when the internet gets frustrating. People cannot follow a conversation and it happens all the time. Lets recap. Someone for some reason tried to claim that at one point Kiss was bigger then the Stones. This is when I asked when Kiss played Stadiums. I should not have to explain why that question matters.

Your comment that you don't need to play stadiums to be big is a meaningless statement. I never said they were not big. I said they were never bigger then than the Stones.

One more thing. Why are you comparing what the Stones were doing in 1973 to what Kiss was doing in 1980? That also was meaningless.

If you are trying to make the point that Kiss was bigger in Australia then the Stones were in 1980 then say that. I would guess that might not even be true but Certainly they were never a bigger band world wide and it was never even close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-18 17:20 by stanlove.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 18, 2018 17:53

A fine example of just how bad KISS truly is.

Date: February 18, 2018 18:46

And s bad example of how good they are.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 18, 2018 19:03

Redhotcarpet
And s bad example of how good they are.

I see your point. They've never been good.

Date: February 18, 2018 19:15

OF course they have. My point is that i find them interesting despite the varying quality and different genres and members. They started out as a spaced out prog band and decided to create something new, some sort of space rock, glam rock, band with anthems. It wasnt just the make up or the shows, they had the songs too. And their will power and drive is amazing really. Every Kiss fan seems very aware. And thats also interesting.

Date: February 18, 2018 19:24

I got tickets in 2008, didnt expect anythin special but they were great live. Im not really a fan and didnt pay for the ticket. I was really surprised of how good they were. It was one of the best concerts ive attended.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 18, 2018 19:24

Kiss are so much better than the stones!
They are the REAL fab four

Date: February 18, 2018 19:27

stanlove
Eleanor Rigby
stanlove
Eleanor Rigby
dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

This is when the internet gets frustrating. People cannot follow a conversation and it happens all the time. Lets recap. Someone for some reason tried to claim that at one point Kiss was bigger then the Stones. This is when I asked when Kiss played Stadiums. I should not have to explain why that question matters.

Your comment that you don't need to play stadiums to be big is a meaningless statement. I never said they were not big. I said they were never bigger then than the Stones.

One more thing. Why are you comparing what the Stones were doing in 1973 to what Kiss was doing in 1980? That also was meaningless.

If you are trying to make the point that Kiss was bigger in Australia then the Stones were in 1980 then say that. I would guess that might not even be true but Certainly they were never a bigger band world wide and it was never even close.

They were the biggest band in America in 1977/1978. Of course they re not on par with the Stones but they really were huge in ghe US and later in Australia and Europe.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 18, 2018 19:36

deardoctor
Kiss are so much better than the stones!
They are the REAL fab four

smiling smiley

Time to retire the Stones vs. Beatles debates and start up a KISS vs Stones debate.
Beatles won along time ago anyways imo, so now lets see how well KISS can hold up...might last a couple of hours?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 18, 2018 20:35

Redhotcarpet
stanlove
Eleanor Rigby
stanlove
Eleanor Rigby
dcba
dead.flowers
That's horrible!

They were the biggest band in America in 1977/1978. Of course they re not on par with the Stones but they really were huge in ghe US and later in Australia and Europe.

Who was the biggest band in the US 77/78?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 18, 2018 20:45

Biggest band in America in 1977/1978?

Probably not n American band...I'm thinking Led Zeppelin, The Stones, and even The Who....(and if you were me in my little world, also The Clash and Bob Marley :-) ).
As for American bands, probably someone like Ted Nugent or Aerosmith who were quickly spiraling downward.
Then you have bands like Styx, Kansas, Boston, and Foreigner hogging up the airwaves.

Kiss' Rock and Roll All Night tune was occasionally played on the radio, but that was it as far as I remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-18 20:47 by Hairball.

Date: February 18, 2018 21:05

I dont know how one can judge these things but exposure I guess. Velvet Underground is the most influential band second to the Beatles. They sold nothing, had zero hits and played small venues.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 18, 2018 21:11

think kiss is 1 of the most overrated bands ever. you can count the actual good songs on your fingers & have some to spare. will give kudos for the marketing savvy. gene had a vision & boy did he ever carry it out. he disgusts me though. i hear paul is even worse. only saw them once when in high school around love gun. cheap trick on "in color" opened & were orders of magnitude better.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 18, 2018 21:16

stanlove
Who was the biggest band in the US 77/78?

No, The Who were big but not the biggest.. winking smiley

The Stones win this era as well, particularly '78 (Some Girls)
Followed (distantly) by bands like Van Halen, The Cars, Doobie Brothers, Aerosmith, and my personal second favorite from the era.. J Geils Band!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 18, 2018 21:27

Personally I loved it. My perspective is here's 2 guys that have to deliver a product to some bored rich people and then they stumble onto JJF and have some fun with it, though not perfect obviously. But there was a spark in there. They still love Rock And Roll I say.

Date: February 19, 2018 10:17

Redhotcarpet
I dont know how one can judge these things but exposure I guess. Velvet Underground is the most influential band second to the Beatles. They sold nothing, had zero hits and played small venues.

I aGREE with your posts here, because it seems you're saying that there is no simple answer. They were "big" at a time; they do sell out big venues. But in their big years I do think it became very obvious just who their market was. No rock-fan of any age, or of any intelligence,would follow them.
I think one way to judge these things is by history. hey will not go down as a major rock band for any reason at all. None of their songs have been radio hits or have staying power. The band was always Stanley and Simmons, who approached this strictly as a business.

Date: February 19, 2018 10:55

<None of their songs have been radio hits or have staying power>

Wasn't even I Was Made For Loving You a radio hit? It sure was over here - a huge hit! smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 19, 2018 18:11

There is something with the concept that is unappealing to me. Celebrities visiting the homes of rich people and performing at birthdays or whatever for huge stacks of money.
Celebrities for rent so to say. There is something tacky about it. Or am I the only one thinking like this?

Date: February 19, 2018 18:56

Stoneage
There is something with the concept that is unappealing to me. Celebrities visiting the homes of rich people and performing at birthdays or whatever for huge stacks of money.
Celebrities for rent so to say. There is something tacky about it. Or am I the only one thinking like this?

like the stones doing private shows?

Date: February 19, 2018 18:59

keefriffhard4life
Stoneage

like the stones doing private shows?
It's amazing how tone-deaf some Stones fans are. The only difference between the Stones and KISS when it comes to greed is that Gene (and Paul to a lesser extent) is honest about it.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home