Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Super Bowl Halftime Performances Ranked Worst To Best (Stones Are #8)
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 5, 2018 04:06

Was that a good TD or a bobbled ball just now. Or too close to call!??
I mean they called it a TD, but I'm not sure it really was one.

Great TD pass and catch. Brady comes alive with some very quick long shots.
3 point game. and a good one imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 04:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 5, 2018 04:17

As expected - the worst halftime show ever IMO (or the worst I can remember) - lightweight fluff.
But of course others will think it was great, maybe even someone providing some video evidence and breaking it down explaining why it was great.
That's fine - different strokes for different folks. thumbs up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 5, 2018 07:00

He sucked grinning smiley . Whodda thunk it? Sad but oh well. He can do better and has but tonight was as boring and lame as it gets.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 5, 2018 07:09

RollingFreak
He sucked grinning smiley . Whodda thunk it? Sad but oh well. He can do better and has but tonight was as boring and lame as it gets.
I mean, he was fine, but it was SO white bread and safe. I think JT is actually quite talented as far as pop acts go, but the whole production lacked any kind of balls or edge, or energy really. The entire thing was sedate.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 5, 2018 08:08

Copied from ‘Dlisted’:

‘Shiela E tweeted that Prince specifically told her to never let anyone make a hologram of him. And Sheila E apparently let a bitch know, because she later tweeted that there will be no Prince hologram. In other words, JT hit the delete button on his planned Prince hologram after figuring out that if he actually went through with that mess, a swarm of doves would attack his ass.’

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 5, 2018 08:09

Hairball
As expected - the worst halftime show ever IMO (or the worst I can remember) - lightweight fluff.
But of course others will think it was great, maybe even someone providing some video evidence and breaking it down explaining why it was great.
That's fine - different strokes for different folks. thumbs up

Awful as expected, I left the room after about 45 seconds.

Date: February 5, 2018 08:13

Oh hilarious and brutal, do not F with Prince fans, y’all.

[dlisted.com]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 5, 2018 08:22

Horrible halftime show. The Prince tribute with the lighting inside and outside of the stadium was cool, but the song choice was kind of in bad taste.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 5, 2018 08:48

Well, I'm smelling the "old rocker" peer pressure here, just like the "old lefty" peer pressure that we have seen in the past in great and even overwhelming abundance. The old cliche that you have to like the "right" bands and like the "right" music otherwise you just aren't cool and can't fit in with the in crowd of old Rolling Stones fans. Such a treacherous landscape to tip-toe through. Are you sure some of you aren't simply scared of your own shadows? Because as a show, as a spectacle, Justin Timberlake delivered. Just just like old rock music fans are "supposed" to hate disco, I can only suppose that you are "supposed" to not have liked the half time show because it is Justin Timberlake after all. Oh my gawd!

Now of course not everybody, but that is what I am smelling.

But isn't the spirit of rock supposed to be "If 6 was 9, I don't mind. I don't mind!" I guess some of you hippies are afraid to cut off all your hair, because you do care about the other hippies.

Date: February 5, 2018 08:51

There's alot of harsh reviews in the press MileHigh - it's not just coming from grumpy old Stones fans.

Date: February 5, 2018 08:53

Hey, I like a man that can dance, and JT delivers his moves real well.
Always has, it’s how he got started, remember?
It’s a tough show to take on, for sure.
And Prince fans are very hard to satisfy/ one of a kind.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 5, 2018 13:21

I liked JT !

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 5, 2018 13:58

thought he was boring. guy has talent but didn't care for this. was better than coldplay but that is faint praise

Date: February 5, 2018 15:31

It was just rather boring. He is talented and charming, but it just never went into that extra gear. I know it's not really worth getting expectations high over the Halftime show these days, but I usually expect SOMETHING to wow me, even visually.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 5, 2018 16:17

I did not understand that halftime show at all...
very disappointing, in my not-so-humble opinion.

JT should have had Keith as a special guest.
Even the ghost of Prince couldn't help that danceparty fiasco.

I do agree that the purple lighting and Prince symbol outside the stadium looked cool but those effects had nothing to do with JT and no one on the inside could even enjoy them.

The NFL needs to wake up, shake off the pixie dust and learn to ROCK again.
What a mess.

Date: February 5, 2018 16:20

I thought: hmm JT doesn’t have enough hit songs for this long of a show.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 5, 2018 16:57

Blues based rock and roll as we knew officially died at halftime.

JT is a great dancer though.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 5, 2018 17:17

if you have to go with the pop thing, they could do (& have) way worse than pink. she's got a great voice & was singled out in the film "hired gun" as someone who treats her musicians well. i'm not big on the overblown "banner" presentations & i thought hers was very good.

Date: February 5, 2018 17:33

Elmo Lewis
Blues based rock and roll as we knew officially died at halftime.

JT is a great dancer though.
They pretty much ran the well dry on the big classic rock acts following the Janet Jackson fiasco (McCartney, Stones, Springsteen, Petty, the Who)...then they gradually started migrating back towards modern pop acts.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2018 17:39

The thing here in Sweden is that there is quite much news material (how expensive ads are, ticket prices and so on) about The Super Bowl but no one (well, almost...) actually watches it.
It may have something to do with impossible air time but the key thing is that it is almost a non-sport overhere. Like baseball and cricket.

Date: February 5, 2018 19:25

Was trying to remeber if Stevie Wonder ever performed, and see that he did in '99, but it was with several others - Gloria Estefan, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Savion Glover.
Seems he should be given the entire stage for the entire half time show on his own...maybe some day he will!

And looking at the history of the halftime show via wiki (List of Super Bowl halftime shows), makes me long for the good old days when they had college marching bands at half time.

Date: Jan 12, 1969
Theme: America Thanks
Performers: Florida A&M University and Miami area High School Bands

Or in the '70' and '80's when Up With People performed lol:

Date: Jan 18, 1976
Theme: 200 Years and Just a Baby: A Tribute to America's Bicentennial
Performer: Up with People

Or even years when they had old Hollywood performers doing cheesy themed shows.

Date: Jan 25, 1987
Theme: Salute to Hollywood's 100th Anniversary - The World of Make Believe
Performers: George Burns, Mickey Rooney, Grambling State University and USC Marching Bands, Disney characters, Southern California-area high school drill teams and dancers
Producer: The Walt Disney Company

Setlist:
"Ghost Riders in the Sky"
Theme songs from Bonanza, Indiana Jones, and Footloose
Hoedown song
"Cheek to Cheek"
"What a Feeling" (Theme from Flashdance)
"That's Entertainment"
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
"When You Wish Upon a Star"

Things seemed to change in the early '90's when New Kids on the Block performed in '91. Then Gloria Estefan in '92.
And probably the BIGGEST change happened when Michael Jackson was the performer in '93.

Date: Jan 31, 1993
Performer: Michael Jackson
Producer: Radio City, Scott Sanders and Don Mischer Productions
References:[16][17]
Setlist:

"Jam" (M. Jackson)
"Billie Jean" (M. Jackson)
"Black or White" (M. Jackson)
"We Are the World" (children's choir)
"Heal the World" (M. Jackson)

Notes: This halftime performance increased the TV ratings by a significant amount. It has been claimed to be one of the most watched events in American television history. After 1993, the NFL made a deliberate effort to attract top performers for the halftime shows.

And I don't recall this oddball matching - sounds like a trainwreck in the making.

Date: Jan 28, 2001
Theme: The Kings of Rock and Pop
Performers: Aerosmith, 'N Sync, Britney Spears, Mary J. Blige, Nelly
Producer: MTV
Sponsor: E-Trade
References:[16][17]
Setlist:
Pre-recorded intro sketch with Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Aerosmith, and 'N Sync
"Bye Bye Bye" ('N Sync)
"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" (Aerosmith)
"It's Gonna Be Me ('N Sync)
"Jaded" (Aerosmith)
"Walk This Way" (Aerosmith, 'N Sync, Britney Spears, Mary J. Blige, Nelly)

And some facts about the Stones performance in 2006:

For The Rolling Stones, the stage was in the form of the group's iconic tongue logo (John Pasche's "Cunning Linguist" first used in 1971 on their Sticky Fingers album). It was the largest stage ever assembled for a Super Bowl halftime show, with 28 separate pieces assembled in five minutes by a 600-member volunteer stage crew. The group performed three songs: "Start Me Up," "Rough Justice," and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." The show was viewed by 89.9 million people, more than the audiences for the Oscars, Grammys and Emmy Awards combined.[53] In the wake of the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show controversy with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, ABC and the NFL imposed a five-second delay and censored lyrics considered too sexually explicit in the first two songs by briefly turning off Mick Jagger's microphone—censoring to which the group had previously agreed.[54] However, the choice of The Rolling Stones sparked controversy in the Detroit community because the band did not represent the traditional Detroit "Motown Sound," and no artists from the area were included.[55]

My vote is for Stevie Wonder next year. And Elton John has never performed - he would be another good choice.
And if neither of them are available, bring back the college marching bands please.
Or maybe something a bit heavier...but who is left that hasn't performed already?

Axl/DC?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 19:26 by Hairball.

Date: February 5, 2018 19:35

Some potential idea...

Elton John and/or Billy Joel (maybe with a third more guitar-oriented performer just to kick it up a notch)

Foo Fighters

AC/DC (Axl/DC)

Guns n' Roses

Date: February 5, 2018 19:42

keefriff99
Some potential idea...

Elton John and/or Billy Joel (maybe with a third more guitar-oriented performer just to kick it up a notch)

Foo Fighters

AC/DC (Axl/DC)

Guns n' Roses

Foo Fighters seem family friendly enough and would be a good choice, but not sure they would have the mass appeal as they really don't have any "classic" tunes familiar to the masses.
Elton/Billy Joel would be perfect, but seeing as time is so limited, they each deserve the entire slot on their own.
Not really a fan of Billy Joel on his own, but he does have plenty of hits!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 5, 2018 19:52

I like Timberlake's work with The Lonely Island, it's genius. His solo work I don't care for.

The half time show was boring. The studio recorded music (probably all computer generated), the pointless miming with "musicians" and his lip syncing... the nod to Prince with the sheet was... I dunno. At least it wasn't a hologram.

He was busy though, all that running around. At least he worked it. Pretty cool that he went into the crowd.

Horrible wardrobe.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 5, 2018 19:55

Ho9w about Jethro Tull playing Thick as a Brick in its entirety?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 5, 2018 20:09

keefriff99
Some potential idea...

Foo Fighters

AC/DC (Axl/DC)

Guns n' Roses

Those are all good ideas, but the thing is they want a show now, not just music. And I do get it. Obviously I loved when they had the rockers but aside from Prince it wasn't really "exciting" for people. You either liked the band or you didn't. I liked many of them, but everyone my age hated it. I don't prefer it, but it makes more sense the way they do it now. Just keep an American audience wowed for 12 minutes. That doesn't happen if you just steamroll through your biggest hits in full. Clearly, people want medleys, they want dancing, they want guest artists, they want a memorable image, a memorable stage. How can we make the Halftime show be as bombastic as possible with a soundtrack that everyone knows. Justin DIDN'T do that this year and its why it was completely unmemorable.

It makes perfect sense and its why the rock guys are gone. Elton, AC/DC would be GREAT Super Bowl choices because everyone knows their songs. But people want Beyonce running through her hits, they want Katy Perry bringing out Lenny Kravitz and Missy Elliot to cover all demographics. They want Madonna and Lady Gaga to do her Madonna/Lady Gaga thing where they make a spectacle similar to their tours that you probably haven't seen before. Elton sitting at a piano or AC/DC rocking out as they do is fine for 1 or 2 minutes these days, but not a whole halftime. There was that period from 2004-2010 or whatever it was where it was enough. But they've moved past it and as much as I'd prefer it to go back cause its the most I like, you can't regress that way (which is what it would be). You can't put the genie back in the bottle so to speak. Unfortunately, the closest you'll get to rock now at the Halftime is RHCP guesting with Bruno Mars, or Aerosmith doing a song with a cavalcade of other pop tweens. You don't have to agree with it, but it obviously makes sense.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 5, 2018 20:27

[www.youtube.com]
SMU & RJ ----- 2006 Superbowl.

[www.youtube.com]
Satisfaction ----- 2006 Superbowl.

Superbowl Champions: The Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 20:28 by hopkins.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2018 20:40

2006! Is it really 12 years ago? Time flies away. What I remember was the muffled sound halfways into SMU. And all the kids standing inside the "tongue".
Rough Justice sounded pretty good but the ten minutes version of SF was simply boring. Maybe not to the kids on the pit though since they had probably never heard of it...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 5, 2018 20:48

USA Today Headline:

"Compared to Prince, Justin Timberlake's halftime show was a wimpy joke"

My opinion:
The Stones put on my favorite halftime show (I'm a bit biased)
Prince put on the best halftime show

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 5, 2018 21:13

Thank god they haven't pushed a group like Rascal Flatts, or the remnants of the Grateful Dead. Some of the performances are a blur, and I would have to be reminded of them. I thought the Stones was one of the best. And yes, the Prince performance was spectacular. I cringe thinking of the Who. That night really looked like they should have died before they got old. I forgot about U2, but that was a pretty good one. Pink did a great anthem. And I didn't realize we're only supposed to like male groups and performers if you're male. I'm really going to have to edit my record collection.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home