Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: King Of The Frontman ???
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 27, 2018 20:49

His Majesty
My one problem with Mick is that too often his vocals are essentially emotionless, like he's always just acting a part rather than speaking from the soul.

BS

Of all the complaints and whining I have read about Stones shows in the last 10-20 years ""Mick vocals are essentially emotionless, like he's always just acting a part"" is not one of them.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 27, 2018 21:58

Leonioid
His Majesty
My one problem with Mick is that too often his vocals are essentially emotionless, like he's always just acting a part rather than speaking from the soul.

BS

Of all the complaints and whining I have read about Stones shows in the last 10-20 years ""Mick vocals are essentially emotionless, like he's always just acting a part"" is not one of them.

It's not just the shows or the last 10 - 20 years. grinning smiley

Date: January 27, 2018 22:14

grinning smiley

I daydream these days of the upcoming UK shows... maybe Iceland... maybe more...

I cant wait for more live Stones shows featuring the greatest Frontman of all time!!! CHARLIE WATTS!!!

STONES!!!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 28, 2018 00:07

1. Jagger
2. Wolf
3. Weiland

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 30, 2018 09:40

Leonioid
ryanpow
Meatfloaf

Meatfloofgrinning smiley

the "Meat Sweats"

Date: January 30, 2018 10:57

Leonioid
grinning smiley

I daydream these days of the upcoming UK shows... maybe Iceland... maybe more...

I cant wait for more live Stones shows featuring the greatest Frontman of all time!!! CHARLIE WATTS!!!

STONES!!!

grinning smiley thumbs up grinning smiley

Date: January 30, 2018 11:19

DandelionPowderman
Leonioid

STONES!!!

grinning smiley thumbs up grinning smiley

smileys with beer Cheeps, Long Live Charlie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 12:38 by Leonioid.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 30, 2018 15:26

Geez! What a useless and barren discussion, over again!

By any specification or from any angle of view, there is only one frontman, lonely at the top, and that is the one and only Mick Jagger! No doubt about it!

Honour to whom honour is due!

The other positions of such a ranking may be freely discussed. But let's not burden Mick's uniqueness as a frontman with such discussions.

Thread title e.g.: Who are the best frontmen next to Mick?

Cheers - dead.flowers

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 30, 2018 16:33

thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 30, 2018 17:35

Dictionary: "Frontman - someone whose job is to hide an illegal or secret activity for another person or organization."...

Date: January 30, 2018 17:38

front·man

noun
the lead singer of a pop or rock group.

Date: January 30, 2018 17:59

So... uhm... Yoko? or Linda? maybe Anita? Jerry?
Bianca?

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 30, 2018 18:05

Jagger no doubt he's the one, probably James Brown no 2

Want to give honourable mention to Ty Tyler of Vintage Trouble as anyone who has ever seen them will attest

Date: January 30, 2018 18:22

exhpart
Jagger no doubt he's the one, probably James Brown no 2

Want to give honourable mention to Ty Tyler of Vintage Trouble as anyone who has ever seen them will attest

This isn't that difficult, people.
James Brown was an amazing talent and entertainer.
Not a front man.

front·man

noun
the lead singer of a pop or rock group.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2018 19:08

There's several definitions of "front man" if you look a bit further than the first one that pops up on google search.

From Cambridge Dictionary: - the lead singer or leader of a musical group

From Dictionary.com: a performer, as a singer, who leads a musical group.

From Merriam- Webster. 1 : a person serving as a front or figurehead 2 : the lead performer in a musical group

From Urban dictionary: -The lead singer of a band that can be of any of the genres of jazz, rock and roll, metal, blues or any of the like.

Based on all of the above, James Brown clearly fits in the category of front man.

Date: January 30, 2018 19:49

Which musical group, in which he was a member of, did James Brown lead or front?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 30, 2018 22:22

dead.flowers
Geez! What a useless and barren discussion, over again!

I agree. The answer is Meatloaf. Discussion over.

Date: January 30, 2018 23:34

DandelionPowderman
Which musical group, in which he was a member of, did James Brown lead or front?

The Famous Flames

"James Brown began his career as a member of the Famous Flames, emerging as the lead singer by the time of their first professional recording, "Please, Please, Please", in 1956".

"Although members of the group did play instruments in some of their earliest shows and recordings, by 1959 Brown had hired a touring band and from that point on the Flames contributed primarily as backing vocalists and dancers.[4] The band was billed separately as the James Brown Band, and later as the James Brown Orchestra".

So he fronted the Famous Flames , the James Brown Band, and the James Brown Orchestra - all as lead singer, followed by being the front man for every other band he put together to back him.

Date: January 30, 2018 23:56

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

The Famous Flames

"James Brown began his career as a member of the Famous Flames, emerging as the lead singer by the time of their first professional recording, "Please, Please, Please", in 1956".

"Although members of the group did play instruments in some of their earliest shows and recordings, by 1959 Brown had hired a touring band and from that point on the Flames contributed primarily as backing vocalists and dancers.[4] The band was billed separately as the James Brown Band, and later as the James Brown Orchestra".

So he fronted the Famous Flames , the James Brown Band, and the James Brown Orchestra - all as lead singer, followed by being the front man for every other band he put together to back him.

That might be correct.. or not...:

"Please Please Please is the debut studio album by The Famous Flames under the billing "James Brown and His Famous Flames".

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 31, 2018 00:12

Yep James very much made his way up the hard ladder thru chitlin' circuits till the toppermost poppermost funky-most,
as the Leader of a tight historic important Band.
I was lucky enough to get turned on to his super early stuff on the Federal label when I was very young...
....yeh JAMES...whoa. Half of Mick's determination to become the Killer Diller King of Front probs came directly from James,
on TAMI? It was Mick's 'Acid Test' and he passed with flying colors.
That particular James Brown performance is a stone-gone CLASSIC,
and the Kids there at the time were goin' crazy losin' their shit over him same as any act that night...

Probs Mick got most of the rest from Tina....Mick ever observant, soulful, and also ambitious to take the best from the best as starting points for his own thing...
imo...

and from there, after '72, into '75 and after....
...somewhere along the way,
after his friendship with Nuryev (sp?), if that's any inspirational indicator at the time for him...
...somewhere along the way he got some Jazzercise (haha) pro-Instructor who was supah dupah hip;
or a parade of them;
cause his iconic stage postures are Magnificently powerful and far-reaching. He is almost casual about this incredible performance charisma;
or a perfect replication of it via those enormous but exciting moves...
...I think I have to put both James and Mick in special Classes all their own.
In the end they are too stylistically different in their approaches to make a fair comparison probably....
James could DANCE...Mick simply can't.
James didn't so much 'pose' as 'work out'
not that Mick hasn't "worked out'
I've been to shows where he Worked Out from Beat 1 till the end in a fury...
...but ya know....James had that funkfied thing; but he was also a master choreographer in his own original way.
He had EVERYBODY else snap-tight in-line on-time or heavy-fine....like ol' Ike Turner; Old School Taskmasters on enormous Revues....
....Mick's not a Dancer but somehow much more than that in his own unique effective way with his own characteristic range of moves....
...James IS Very Much a friggin' Dancer as well as singer/writer....
...if that makes any sense...
anyway, for fans only familiar with James stuff contemporaneous with his Big Funky Hits....
...there's enormous very very Grand amazing Federal Records catalog.
I have some James and The Flames LP's that are soley INSTRUMENTAL....
and are great....
James reached further back. He was signed recording artist before The Stones were a band also.
I'm happy with James title as The Godfather of Soul.
That's sure pretty Kingly imo.
NOBODY ELSE is The Godfather of Soul!!

JAMES BROWN & THE FAMOUS FLAMES - GOOD GOOD LOVIN' [Federal 12361] 1959
[www.youtube.com]

Video transcript:
"James Brown performs "Cold Sweat", live at the Boston Garden, April 5th, 1968.
He begins and ends this song with his signature spinning dance moves.

In the aftermath of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination on April 4th, 1968, rioting broke out in cities across the country.
James Brown had been scheduled to perform at the Boston Garden on April 5th.
Boston Mayor Kevin White had initially wanted to cancel all public events, including James Brown's show.
As there was concern that the cancellation of the show might cause an escalation of the crisis. it was agreed that James Brown's show would go on.

The show, one of the greatest in Boston's history, went on and the city of Boston remained relatively calm.
James Brown consoled his mourning audience, dedicated the show to the memory of Dr. King and was instrumental in keeping the peace on the streets of Boston.
This concert became known as " The Night James Brown Saved Boston"
"Cold Sweat", performed by James Brown, was written with his bandleader Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis.
James Brown recorded it in May 1967. An edited version of "Cold Sweat" released as a two-part single on King Records was a #1 R&B hit, and reached number seven on the Pop Singles chart."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-31 00:47 by hopkins.

Date: January 31, 2018 00:45

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

The Famous Flames

That might be correct.. or not...:

"Please Please Please is the debut studio album by The Famous Flames under the billing "James Brown and His Famous Flames".

The song itself - Please Please Please - was recorded and released as a single in May '56 under the name The Famous Flames
two years prior to the album of the same name you mention which didn't come out until Dec '58.

From the link above: "Please, Please, Please" was released in May 1956 and by September, the record had reached number 6 on the R&B charts. Constant performing with the song while the group performed on the chitlin' circuit kept the record on the charts for a year, and by 1957, it had sold well over 5,000 copies. The record eventually sold between one million and three million.[12][13] Most of the original Flames' releases after "Please, Please, Please" failed to generate any follow-up success, including "I Don't Know", "No No No", "Just Won't Do Right" and "Chonnie-On-Chon".[6] The group had changed managers and were now with Ben Bart, chief of the Universal Attractions Agency. Bart advised the group to change their name to The Famous Flames with James Brown.[6] This led to dissension in the group and Bart gave them an ultimatum of either "staying and working for $35 a night or go home".[citation needed] The group responded by going home. Brown and Bart hired members of the vocal group the Dominions to replace the original Flames.

We could split hairs on the definition of "front man" all day, but even if labeled as "James Brown and His Famous Flames" or whatever, I would still consider him as the leader and the front man.

Anyhow, it would be interesting to ask Mick Jagger who he thinks is the greatest front man ever. Other then himself, I have a feeling he would probably say James Brown.

Nice article from around the time the James Brown 'Get On Up' movie was coming out a few years ago from Time magazine.

Mick Jagger on James Brown: "I Copied All His Moves"

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 31, 2018 01:02

Ha ha what a Great Interview that Times link! hahaaa.
Mick is great and unguarded here; I hadn't seen this.
He's open about copying EVERYBODY and is unrepentant and joyous about it.
He kept trying that slick 'push the mike out, then step on the stand to have it pop back,'
and kept bopping himself in the head...lol
"...Maceo take it to the bridge...."

Sure did had a Legendary Band when they were still together.

Date: January 31, 2018 01:16

I thought Get On Up was a pretty good movie, a shame it didn't do better at the box office or earn any awards.
Still would recommend it though, and might have to watch it again one of these days. thumbs up

Get On Up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2018 01:24

I copied all his moves. I copied everybody’s moves.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2018 01:30

Get On Up is okay but make sure ya checkout the Jagger/Gibney produced doco Mr Dynamite ......

ROCKMAN

Date: January 31, 2018 02:12

Yes to the superior documentary. thumbs up
But, for a fun night out at the theater with my wife and a box of popcorn - Get On Up served it's purpose.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 5, 2018 03:54

Justin Timberlake. Hands down. smileys with beer

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: February 5, 2018 04:35

Koen
Justin Timberlake. Hands down. smileys with beer

Ticket price for the SUPERBOWL show was how much? Or was it beers in the armchair? smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home