Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ace link about the stones concert at Kurhaus on 8th August 1964.
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 22, 2019 09:16

I was 12 days old when they rocked our Kurhaus smiling smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 22, 2019 17:40

Thanks HM!
Nice to hear this YouTube compilation for a change. There is a bit (around 10 minutes, I sort of remember) of live film recording too.
They (?) allowed me to show it during the 40st Anniversary event. In post war Holland this concert is a shocking ( grinning smiley )
piece of history. Sort of a mini-mini Altamont cool smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 23, 2019 15:15

georgie48
Hi Hairball,

that was a nice summary of events around that memorable, first ever, concert in Scheveningen (The Hague).
There is another link, but unfortunately only in Dutch (I'll try to find it again) with amazing stories on the event.
Exactly on the day (August 8) I organised (together with the manager of Kurhaus) a 40st Anniversary event in 2004 in that same Kurhaus in that same hall.
400 (10x40) randomly selected diehard fans were given free entree and another 500 paid for it. It was broadcasted live on a popular Dutch radio station ("Stenen tijdperk" meaning "Stone Age") and there was an exhibition of Ron Wood's art. I also designed a (meanwhile rare) event T-shirt and I choose the cover band Flip The Switch (with Mathijs on guitar) from a "selection of 9 other coverbands". They were the best at the time (and affordable winking smiley) and they promised to start with the five songs that the Stones played 40 years earlier in the Kurhaus (okay, the Stones didn't finish Mona (some say Not Fade Away)). You should have been there!
smileys with beer

Best gig we (Flip the Switch) ever done!

Mathijs

Date: September 23, 2019 16:03

Mathijs
georgie48
Hi Hairball,

that was a nice summary of events around that memorable, first ever, concert in Scheveningen (The Hague).
There is another link, but unfortunately only in Dutch (I'll try to find it again) with amazing stories on the event.
Exactly on the day (August 8) I organised (together with the manager of Kurhaus) a 40st Anniversary event in 2004 in that same Kurhaus in that same hall.
400 (10x40) randomly selected diehard fans were given free entree and another 500 paid for it. It was broadcasted live on a popular Dutch radio station ("Stenen tijdperk" meaning "Stone Age") and there was an exhibition of Ron Wood's art. I also designed a (meanwhile rare) event T-shirt and I choose the cover band Flip The Switch (with Mathijs on guitar) from a "selection of 9 other coverbands". They were the best at the time (and affordable winking smiley) and they promised to start with the five songs that the Stones played 40 years earlier in the Kurhaus (okay, the Stones didn't finish Mona (some say Not Fade Away)). You should have been there!
smileys with beer

Best gig we (Flip the Switch) ever done!

Mathijs

Thanks Mathijs! I also thought you did a great "job"! Really well beyond my expectations! Great memories smileys with beer
I hope all is well with you and your mates.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 23, 2019 17:15

Was any of you Dutch fellow IORRians there?
d.f

EDIT: typing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-23 17:16 by dead.flowers.

Date: September 23, 2019 19:55

dead.flowers
Was any of you Dutch fellow IORRians there?
d.f

EDIT: typing

I wasn't there (just turned 16, I learned about it two days later), but I met several who were. For the 40st Anniversary we also had a (sponsored) competition for a free entree ticket among people who could prove they were there (telling their experience on that day, etc.). Very interesting stories from people who mostly came from The Hague, some from Amsterdam, etc.
I hope some will respond to your question winking smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 23, 2019 22:15

remember seeing footage of this gig years ago as i did others where riots are involved.

what was the riot about, seemed to happen a lot to the stones at quite a few gigs, they got banned from blackpool in 1964 over the same issue,

i just dont get peoples problem, go to a rolling stones concert and riot, why not just dig the music instead.

Date: September 24, 2019 09:05

buttons67
remember seeing footage of this gig years ago as i did others where riots are involved.

what was the riot about, seemed to happen a lot to the stones at quite a few gigs, they got banned from blackpool in 1964 over the same issue,

i just dont get peoples problem, go to a rolling stones concert and riot, why not just dig the music instead.

The riot was to shake off the 1950's.

Mathijs

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 12, 2019 17:55

The Abandoned Kurhaus Concert Den Haag 1964 - 12" Vinyl / Box-set:

Release date: 18-Oct-2019 or 1-Nov-2019 -- [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.jpc.de] .

"Contains the ill-fated abandoned performance of the Rolling Stones at the Kurhaus in Den Haag 1964.

The entire original REM Island radio broadcast, 32pp hardback book with 10" LP, full colour A2 poster reproduction of the original concert poster, DVD documentary with interviews professionally re-mastered with background liners and many rare archival photographs.

Strictly limited, hand numbered 1000 copies.

The Rolling Stones first gig in Den Haag, Netherlands at the Kurhaus on 8th August 1964 descended into chaos after a riot erupted 28 minutes into the set, and security staff brought the show to an abrupt halt.

This AVA limited edition book pack contains a 10 inch record of the performance broadcast by REM Island, a reproduction of the original concert poster, a 32-page booklet full of previously unseen colour photographs taken at the concert (both during and after), and interviews with some of the fans that attended the gig.

Also included is a DVD, which captures the mayhem, as well as interviews with the Stones chauffer and Bill Wyman.

Whilst the audio may not be of studio quality, this unique artefact, strictly limited to 1000 hand-numbered copies, is a wonderful opportunity to own a unique slice of rock history."

SIDE ONE

1. It's All Over Now (rehearsal) 0.37 (Bobby Womack / Shirley Womack)
2. Beautiful Delilah 2.31 (Chuck Berry)
3. Walking The Dog 2.18 (Rufus Thomas)
4. Hi-Heel Sneakers (instrumental) 3.49 (Tommy Tucker)

SIDE TWO

1. Susie Q (instrumental) 5.12 (Dale Hawkins / Stanley J. Lewis / Eleanor Broadwater)
2. Mona (instrumental) 3.03 (Elias Mcdaniel / Jim Wann)
3. Charlie Watts Interview 1965 3.18
4. Press Conference 1973 2.33

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-12 18:25 by Irix.

Date: October 12, 2019 18:25

buttons67

Sort of what Mathijs says. Europe had finally arrived in a comfort zone (North America was already well into rock 'n roll rebellion, in a different way though). New music came around and the young generation wanted to be heard, which resulted in screaming (girls, Beatles, etc.) and the boys started rioting. Indeed a kind of shaking off traditionalism. Quite exiting to say the least.
But in a way the media helped a bit out here (during the afternoon a music paper, called Hitweek, had distributed flyers suggesting that there might be riots coming. Well, what better hint can you give young, excited boys?
smileys with beer

Date: October 12, 2019 18:40

Irix

"Contains the ill-fated abandoned performance of the Rolling Stones at the Kurhaus in Den Haag 1964.

The entire original REM Island radio broadcast, 32pp hardback book with 10" LP, full colour A2 poster reproduction of the original concert poster, DVD documentary with interviews professionally re-mastered with background liners and many rare archival photographs.

The Rolling Stones first gig in Den Haag, Netherlands at the Kurhaus on 8th August 1964 descended into chaos after a riot erupted 28 minutes into the set, and security staff brought the show to an abrupt halt.

This AVA limited edition book pack contains a 10 inch record of the performance broadcast by REM Island, a reproduction of the original concert poster, a 32-page booklet full of previously unseen colour photographs taken at the concert (both during and after), and interviews with some of the fans that attended the gig.

Also included is a DVD, which captures the mayhem, as well as interviews with the Stones chauffer and Bill Wyman.

Whilst the audio may not be of studio quality, this unique artefact, strictly limited to 1000 hand-numbered copies, is a wonderful opportunity to own a unique slice of rock history."

SIDE ONE

1. It s All Over Now (rehearsal) 0.37 (Bobby Womack / Shirley Womack)

SIDE TWO

1. Susie Q (instrumental) 5.12 (Dale Hawkins / Stanley J. Lewis / Eleanor Broadwater)

Thanks Irix,

A nice collectors artifact for those who were there in 1964. But it needs to be said that this stuff has been around for quite some time (many years) in different formats and in particular the music part, again, is not complete. The complete, shortened concert lasted much less than 28 minutes, in fact covering four-and-half songs. In the middle of the fifth song the Stones (Ian was already "gone") escaped through the backdoors. That fifth song (Mona) was recorded on a different spot from where the first four were recorded. £32 pounds is a bit steep, I would say.

Date: October 21, 2019 10:33

Here it is: that (Dutch language) the link that I mentioned:

www.dejongenskamer.nl

It has some very interesting info on the 1964 Kurhaus concert and its aftermath.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: October 21, 2019 12:18

Premier provided Charlie with a drumkit for this concert. It got lost in the mayhem and survived! It's in the hands of a Dutch fan.

[www.volkskrant.nl]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 21, 2019 13:53

paulspendel
Premier provided Charlie with a drumkit for this concert. It got lost in the mayhem and survived! It's in the hands of a Dutch fan.

[www.volkskrant.nl]

Never heard this story nice

Date: October 21, 2019 14:16

In 2002 Charlie offered to buy it back for around 15.000 euro's. The deal was off.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 21, 2019 15:32

Deltics
runaway
In the escape car MJ noticed Stew was missing, : “We go back”, was his answer.
They found Stew who was wounded and needed to be taken to hospital and with the diagnosis: “Heavy concussion”, The Stones refused to leave Stew behind and left the country

Thanks Deltics for posting the pic

Date: October 21, 2019 15:39

paulspendel
In 2002 Charlie offered to buy it back for around 15.000 euro's. The deal was off.

I know that story, Paul. But it is not true (confirmed by the Stones organization!). For one thing, the drum kit was not complete! Charlie took his own cymbals along and took them back after the show. The kit was exposed on the 2004 Kurhaus Anniversary event that I organized and the "then owner" apparently didn't know about Charlie's habit.
Charlie never offered any money!

Date: October 21, 2019 16:23

My goodness, we can't even trust De Volkskrant! What has become of journalism?

Date: October 21, 2019 16:53

Fake news has been around for a long time winking smiley
Actually the then owner (maybe he still is), from the north of the Netherlands, afterwards admitted that he made up the story hoping that somebody would offer a great deal of money for the kit. Basically the journalist should have doublechecked it (which I did a couple of years later). But, like so often, the story was too nice. I also once put out a story on IORR, believing it was true, haha. Man, the responses were amazing.
smileys with beer

Date: October 21, 2019 18:08

Thanks Georgie! I had the same experience when I co-wrote 'Brian Jones. The final truth' hahahaha!

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: October 22, 2019 01:24

Irix

SIDE ONE

SIDE TWO

It is a nice collectable to have. Great photos and some of the interviews on the DVD are hilarious...Of course no upgrade to sound exists so same old recording but what the Hell--got it for about $40 US (including post from UK!).

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 22, 2019 10:06

This was a great Doc. they did on the show. Back in the late 70's I was invited
by Anita to come visit her, Keith & Marlon at the hotel she was staying
at in NYC. I brought up my copy (16MM print) of the Kurhaus show which had
the riot footage of the show plus two promos they made for Dutch TV "Tell Me"
and "Carol". While watching the film Keith narrated about the show. He had excellent recollection of the visit to Holland and that show. He told us
that Stu was behind the curtain picking up Charlie's drum kit and was leaning
against the curtain when one of the police guys "just seeing a body against
the curtain" used his club and smashed Stu over the head leaving him on the
floor in a pool of blood. I believe he said they used the Pretty Things equipment
to do the show which got smashed. He also said Stu got into a argument with
the customs guy (who was German) coming into Holland and told him because of
you I never had a banana growing up as a kid referring to the U.K. rations during
the war. It was a wonderful night and very informative.

Date: October 22, 2019 10:34

VideoJames
and "Carol". While watching the film Keith narrated about the show. He had excellent recollection of the visit to Holland and that show. He told us
floor in a pool of blood. I believe he said they used the Pretty Things equipment
you I never had a banana growing up as a kid referring to the U.K. rations during

The promo's to be for Dutch TV is very unlikely, as it was hardly existing back then, and certainly would not show any of these horrible kids with their music. They were interviewed by TV Noordzee, and Radio Veronica filmed parts of the show, and both were pirate broadcasters.

Mathijs

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 22, 2019 12:03

Thanks for the info, I went to the TV stations in Holland in the 80's to find any
TV shows that would have aired those clips. I found none. The footage
of "Tell ME", "Carol" and "It's all Over Now" look like it was shot earlier
in the day, probably at the sound check . All 3 songs were complete
versions. Maybe one day these and the many other clips the Stones made
in the 60's that have yet to be seen (I know of at least 12) will end up
in a compilation DVD one day.

Date: October 22, 2019 13:34

VideoJames

When time progresses new stories surface. Keith gets his info from first hand, so the older story that Stu was hit by an empty glass bottle ...
Also that they used equipment from the Pretty Things is very interesting. Amplifiers I guess, since Stu took care of Charlie's drum kit (which must have been the cymbals). The other part of the kit stayed behind and ended up somewhere in the north of the Netherlands. My guess is that maybe it was used by the Pretty Things prior to the Stones concert.
With the Kurhaus concert the Stones left as much a mark on the the music scene in the Netherlands as the Beatles did only two months earlier (all those people diving into the dirty Amsterdam canals while the band made a boattrip). In 1964 the Netherlands woke up grinning smiley
Good to notice all is well with you, James.
smileys with beer

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: October 22, 2019 15:15

After Love You Live came out, there was a Rolling Stones happening in Kurhaus. IMO was it end 1977. I went to that happening and we did see the Kurhaus gig. But, I remember not exactly what it was from that 7or8 min. They did it play it twice. Was someone also at that time in the Kurhaus? As far as remember it was Sjaak Jorritsma who was the organizer from that happening.
Greets,

Date: October 22, 2019 18:52

tioms
After Love You Live came out, there was a Rolling Stones happening in Kurhaus. IMO was it end 1977. I went to that happening and we did see the Kurhaus gig. But, I remember not exactly what it was from that 7or8 min. They did it play it twice. Was someone also at that time in the Kurhaus? As far as remember it was Sjaak Jorritsma who was the organizer from that happening.
Greets,

That filmed material could be from the same source as the one who allowed us to show it a couple of times during the 2004 Kurhaus anniversary event. Radio producer Ton van Dralen (who also produced the live radio broadcast that day - named "het Stenen Tijdperk" (Stone Age) - knew people within the Dutch broadcasting world. But maybe Sjaak also owns a copy?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 21, 2021 18:34

iraq0708
Irix

SIDE ONE

SIDE TWO

It is a nice collectable to have. Great photos and some of the interviews on the DVD are hilarious...Of course no upgrade to sound exists so same old recording but what the Hell--got it for about $40 US (including post from UK!).

I just ordered a copy myself for around $33!!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home