Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ace link about the stones concert at Kurhaus on 8th August 1964.
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 15, 2018 00:51

Re: Ace link about the stones concert at Kurhaus on 8th August 1964.
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 15, 2018 02:44

Always nice to watch.........but I saw it three times before...................

Date: January 15, 2018 04:06

Little point in sharing or talking about anything from the past then because someone will have seen it before. hot smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 15, 2018 04:59

Never seen it His Majesty, thanks!
If only I could speak Dutch, but still cool to see the video...I saw someone in the audience who looked just like my late Dutch uncle Nicolaas!!smiling smiley

Here's a loose translation of the article via google translate which helps give context:

Rolling Stones in the Kurhaus
It was boys

Episode: 30 minutes
Reading time: 4 minutes

Other Times brings never seen images of the famous Stones concert in the Kurhaus. By making use of raw film material and photographs, the makers succeed in making for the first time a truthful reconstruction of the first visit of the very young Rolling Stones to The Hague.

Ugly

'Import of ugly people', the Telegraaf announces the arrival of a new British band, the Rolling Stones, that will give a concert at the Kurhaus in Scheveningen. We write August 8, 1964. A day that becomes legendary in Dutch pop history. Looking back, they seem to be very good, decent boys. Nevertheless, the tent is being demolished during their first concert on the European mainland.

Images of frenzied fans, the first stage divers and crowdsurfers, kicking security officials and police officers on stage. They have gone all over the world. With a lot of shrieking you hear vague sounds from the song 'Carol', which the Stones seem to play. For example, the Rolling Stones concert in the Kurhaus went into the collective memory. For example, the legendary concert has been on TV a lot. But that is not how it went.

The attentive listener hears sound lops in the cheering and the attentive fan knows that the song Carol was not played during the concert. What you hear is a studio recording of 'Carol', mixed with perhaps random hall sounds. The original sound has been lost.

Brigitte

That there are überhaubt cameras present at the concert in the Kurhaus, is due to producer Henk van der Meyden. For TV Noordzee, he creates a teenage program 'Brigitte', based on a section in De Telegraaf.

Actress Karla Wildschut plays 'Brigitte'. "I had no idea who they were, but my friend knew them. I had to interview them and give them a flower after their concert. "

Unfortunately the intentional broadcast of Brigitte has not been preserved. The raw material of the recordings in the Kurhaus is. Cinematographer Jan Schaper is one of the cameramen and has saved the images. After his death, many film cans were handed over to the Rotterdam Municipal Archives. Other Times now broadcasts the images for the first time.

August 8, 1964

At half past ten the Rolling Stones arrive at Schiphol. There is a lot of journalists waiting, there are jeering fans, but the arrival is in stark contrast to the scenes of the arrival of the Beatles earlier that year. Pop photographer Rob Bosboom has followed them all day since arriving in the Netherlands. "They were decent boys, very nice. They had a bottle of gin in their hands and they had no idea what that was "

After a press conference at Schiphol, driver Jan van Gelder takes the Stones to The Hague. "They asked: is there somewhere a drug store here? I thought, dear God, that's already starting. But that turned out to be a chemist. "

The group takes a walk through The Hague and then goes to hotel Therminus. Some singles are signed in the hotel room. At the end of the afternoon, the Kurhaus is still rehearsing and the camera crew of "Brigitte" is making some close-ups. This produces never-before-seen rehearsal images that are covered in the broadcast.

Around half past eight in the evening the first fans arrive at the Kurhaus. It all goes very quietly. "We had row nine," says Stonesfan Fred Harrinck. "Well, that row did not exist anymore afterwards, haha". Organizer Paul Acket had hired five men to secure the Stones and their instruments. "We kept in mind that something might happen", says management assistant Maarten Schöder. Seven police officers are on standby in the basement, to be sure. At the nearby police station there are still about fifteen police officers, the dog brigade and the mounted police.

We want the Stones!

Harrinck: "At first you had that pre-program, well we did not have any message at all." The supporting program takes far too long and there are artists who do not compare with the Stones at all. Trix & The Paramounts, the Fouryo's, that work. Agent Willem Taal: "Everyone screamed through: We want the Stones!"

After the break, the tumult erupts when Bill Wyman touches his bass string behind the curtain. "Everyone rushed forward." Security guard Willem Schepers gets stuck in the room. "Once I got on the podium, the first seat rests were already flying through the air."

After three songs, Mick Jagger's microphone cord is broken. Jagger grabs samba balls and without vocals the Stones play two more songs. Then the police have now also come on stage and the curtain is finally closed. The Stones flights quickly to the car. Inside, the furniture of the Kurhaus goes and the dog police chase everyone outside. Fred Harrinck: "I lost a shoe, had a lump on my head and the hair was confused. I have hung up a story at home. Until I was in the newspaper with a big picture that Monday. Then I got it one more time. "

Composition and direction: Femke Veltman
Text and research: Maarten Blokzijl

Broadcast: Sat 24 Sep 2011, 21.20 hours, Ned 2.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 15, 2018 10:04

His Majesty
Little point in sharing or talking about anything from the past then because someone will have seen it before. hot smiley

What's yer problem Phil? The past is so passe. Ain't you got nothin' from the future? >grinning smiley<

Date: January 15, 2018 11:38

No probs here, everything is hunky dory. grinning smiley

Thanks for the Googley translation Hairball. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 11:39 by His Majesty.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 15, 2018 13:01

In the escape car MJ noticed Stew was missing, : “We go back”, was his answer.
They found Stew who was wounded and needed to be taken to hospital and with the diagnosis: “Heavy concussion”, The Stones refused to leave Stew behind and left the country

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 15, 2018 13:29

runaway
In the escape car MJ noticed Stew was missing, : “We go back”, was his answer.
They found Stew who was wounded and needed to be taken to hospital and with the diagnosis: “Heavy concussion”, The Stones refused to leave Stew behind and left the country

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: January 15, 2018 22:28

Where is the stones performing It’s All Over Now from? Never saw this before.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: January 15, 2018 23:21

His Majesty
[anderetijden.nl]

cool smiley

I've never seen this before.... thank you !

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 16, 2018 00:44

Nice One HM.
Not seen it before. smileys with beer

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 16, 2018 01:50

ovalvox

According to Zentgraf:

640808C 8th August: Scheveningen, Netherlands, Kurhaus, Kurzaal. Rehearsals.
- Tell Me (MJ/KR) -uncirculating
- It's All Over Now (Bobby and Shirley Womack)
- Carol (Chuck Berry) -uncirculating
Note: Silent film footage of these rehearsals (or soundcheck) exists. It was shown
(with dubbed sound) at an exhibition at Muzee Scheveningen from June 29 -
September 7, 2014.
[www.nzentgraf.de]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: January 16, 2018 02:44

Deltics
ovalvox

According to Zentgraf:

640808C 8th August: Scheveningen, Netherlands, Kurhaus, Kurzaal. Rehearsals.
- Tell Me (MJ/KR) -uncirculating
- It's All Over Now (Bobby and Shirley Womack)
- Carol (Chuck Berry) -uncirculating
Note: Silent film footage of these rehearsals (or soundcheck) exists. It was shown
(with dubbed sound) at an exhibition at Muzee Scheveningen from June 29 -
September 7, 2014.
[www.nzentgraf.de]

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the Its All Over Now version from the BBC. Would be cool to see the Stones performing all three songs even of it is with backing tracks from studio or other live performances. Brian playing his brand new Vox. Very cool.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 16, 2018 06:28

dern rock and roll riot. excellent.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 21, 2019 12:32

The Rolling Stones’ first gig in Den Haag, Netherlands at the Kurhaus on 8th August 1964 descended into chaos after a riot erupted 28 minutes into the set, and security staff brought the show to an abrupt halt. This AVA limited edition book pack contains a 10 inch record of the performance broadcast by REM Island, a reproduction of the original concert poster, a 32-page booklet full of previously unseen colour photographs taken at the concert (both during and after), and interviews with some of the fans that attended the gig.

Also included is a DVD, which captures the mayhem, as well as interviews with the Stones chauffer and Bill Wyman. Whilst the audio may not be of soundboard quality, this unique artefact, strictly limited to 1000 hand-numbered copies, is a wonderful opportunity to own a unique slice of rock history.

SIDE ONE
1. It’s All Over Now (rehearsal) 0.37 (Bobby Womack / Shirley Womack)
2. Beautiful Delilah 2.31 (Chuck Berry)
3. Walking The Dog 2.18 (Rufus Thomas)
4. Hi-Heel Sneakers (instrumental) 3.49 (Tommy Tucker)

SIDE TWO:
1. Susie Q (instrumental) 5.12 (Dale Hawkins / Stanley J. Lewis / Eleanor Broadwater)
2. Mona (instrumental) 3.03 (Elias Mcdaniel / Jim Wann)
3. Charlie Watts Interview 1965 3.18
4. Press Conference 1973 2.33

[www.avaeditions.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2019 14:20

I've always liked this picture from Kurhaus 1964 due to the Poster of the Rudi-Carrell-Show in the background:

(perpetuated in the Book: 'The Rolling Stones 50' from 2012, page 42)

Date: September 21, 2019 14:38

This photo is taken in front of Paul Acket's office (impresario and publisher from Muziek Expres .)

Theresiastraat 59 - 63
Den Haag

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-21 21:51 by Lien.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 21, 2019 15:08

Now it looks like this: [goo.gl]

Date: September 21, 2019 15:31

Koen

Link takes us elsewhere.

Date: September 21, 2019 15:33

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 16:37

Hi Hairball,

that was a nice summary of events around that memorable, first ever, concert in Scheveningen (The Hague).
There is another link, but unfortunately only in Dutch (I'll try to find it again) with amazing stories on the event.
Exactly on the day (August 8) I organised (together with the manager of Kurhaus) a 40st Anniversary event in 2004 in that same Kurhaus in that same hall.
400 (10x40) randomly selected diehard fans were given free entree and another 500 paid for it. It was broadcasted live on a popular Dutch radio station ("Stenen tijdperk" meaning "Stone Age") and there was an exhibition of Ron Wood's art. I also designed a (meanwhile rare) event T-shirt and I choose the cover band Flip The Switch (with Mathijs on guitar) from a "selection of 9 other coverbands". They were the best at the time (and affordable winking smiley) and they promised to start with the five songs that the Stones played 40 years earlier in the Kurhaus (okay, the Stones didn't finish Mona (some say Not Fade Away)). You should have been there!
smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2019 20:05

georgie48
Hi Hairball,

that was a nice summary of events around that memorable, first ever, concert in Scheveningen (The Hague).
There is another link, but unfortunately only in Dutch (I'll try to find it again) with amazing stories on the event.
Exactly on the day (August 8) I organised (together with the manager of Kurhaus) a 40st Anniversary event in 2004 in that same Kurhaus in that same hall.
400 (10x40) randomly selected diehard fans were given free entree and another 500 paid for it. It was broadcasted live on a popular Dutch radio station ("Stenen tijdperk" meaning "Stone Age") and there was an exhibition of Ron Wood's art. I also designed a (meanwhile rare) event T-shirt and I choose the cover band Flip The Switch (with Mathijs on guitar) from a "selection of 9 other coverbands". They were the best at the time (and affordable winking smiley) and they promised to start with the five songs that the Stones played 40 years earlier in the Kurhaus (okay, the Stones didn't finish Mona (some say Not Fade Away)). You should have been there!
smileys with beer

Hi Georgie - just missed it by one year and a a few days! Between August 11 and 19th, 2003, I was attending all the scheduled Stones Licks shows in the Netherlands (Rotterdam, Utrecht, Amsterdam).
Had I know of your celebration, I might have extended my stay to Aug 2004....winking smiley...

But come to think of it, on August 8th, 2004 I was back in the Netherlands, traveling around aimlessly all around the country destination unknown without a worry in the world!
Sorry I missed it! Maybe next time....smileys with beer

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 21, 2019 20:41

His Majesty
Koen

Link takes us elsewhere.

Works fine here, points to the address that Lien posted above, not to the Kurhaus if that’s what you were expecting.

Date: September 21, 2019 21:41

Koen
His Majesty
Koen

Link takes us elsewhere.

Works fine here, points to the address that Lien posted above, not to the Kurhaus if that’s what you were expecting.

Yes, it works fine The office is gone now, but if you " turn around " at Google Maps Streetview..you can see the buildings , as seen in the reflection in the Rolling Stones picture .

Date: September 21, 2019 21:46

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-26 21:11 by Edison.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 22:48

Lien
The Rolling Stones’ first gig in Den Haag, Netherlands at the Kurhaus on 8th August 1964 descended into chaos after a riot erupted 28 minutes into the set, and security staff brought the show to an abrupt halt. This AVA limited edition book pack contains a 10 inch record of the performance broadcast by REM Island, a reproduction of the original concert poster, a 32-page booklet full of previously unseen colour photographs taken at the concert (both during and after), and interviews with some of the fans that attended the gig.

Also included is a DVD, which captures the mayhem, as well as interviews with the Stones chauffer and Bill Wyman. Whilst the audio may not be of soundboard quality, this unique artefact, strictly limited to 1000 hand-numbered copies, is a wonderful opportunity to own a unique slice of rock history.

SIDE ONE
1. It’s All Over Now (rehearsal) 0.37 (Bobby Womack / Shirley Womack)
2. Beautiful Delilah 2.31 (Chuck Berry)
3. Walking The Dog 2.18 (Rufus Thomas)
4. Hi-Heel Sneakers (instrumental) 3.49 (Tommy Tucker)

SIDE TWO:
1. Susie Q (instrumental) 5.12 (Dale Hawkins / Stanley J. Lewis / Eleanor Broadwater)
2. Mona (instrumental) 3.03 (Elias Mcdaniel / Jim Wann)
3. Charlie Watts Interview 1965 3.18
4. Press Conference 1973 2.33

[www.avaeditions.com]
Ordered one from Eblah...

Date: September 21, 2019 23:35

Hairball
georgie48
Hi Hairball,

smileys with beer

Hi Georgie - just missed it by one year and a a few days! Between August 11 and 19th, 2003, I was attending all the scheduled Stones Licks shows in the Netherlands (Rotterdam, Utrecht, Amsterdam).
Had I know of your celebration, I might have extended my stay to Aug 2004....winking smiley...

But come to think of it, on August 8th, 2004 I was back in the Netherlands, traveling around aimlessly all around the country destination unknown without a worry in the world!
Sorry I missed it! Maybe next time....smileys with beer

Hi Hairball,
The chances of persueding a managing director of the Kurhaus are very slim. I was just lucky that he (no longer working for Kurhaus) had met Mick Jagger while he was running a hotel in Bussum, where Mick was to record a solo album.
Also, I ran into the chairman of the Dutch Beatles fanclub in May of that year and he was preparing an event to celebrate the 40st Anniversary of the one and only Beatles concert in the Netherlands. He motivated me strongly. "Secret preparations" during two months, trying to get one or any of the Stones to be there. But as you may know Charlie was diagnosed with throat cancer around May and things became complicated.
By the way, Lien mentioned about the recordings of August 8, 1964. The recordings circulating only have four of the five (actually four and half) songs the Stones played. Mona (half the song) was recorded at a different spot in the Kurhaus and is not generally available. The sound of all five songs is pretty poor, but one can hear Dutch being spoken in between (the recording people). The riots that took place on August 8, 1964 were partly fabricated by the distribution among fans near the Kurhaus of a "Hitweek" paper during the afternoon, in which it was "suggested" that riots might occur confused smiley The Monday August 10, 1964 newspapers in those days of course didn't mention the latter.
Needless to say that I was very excited, having "discovered" the Stones only half a year earlier.
smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2019 23:49

Great stories georgie thumbs up- wonder what happened with the Beatles 40th Anniversary celebration, and if they had a 50th?
Had the Stones and Beatles celebrations been scheduled on the same dates, might have been a tough choice for me to choose which one to attend!

Date: September 22, 2019 00:10

The shirt from the Kurhaus event 2004 . Still have it ..smiling smiley

Date: September 22, 2019 09:15

Lien

The shirt from the Kurhaus event 2004 . Still have it ..smiling smiley

That's very nice, Lien! Did you know that I needed (and received) permission from the Stones (office), Bill Wyman and Brian's parents (still alive then) to make the shirt? The Kurhaus used the "profit" (not sufficiënt) to cover expenses, like paying the band, making large images of Bosboom's photos (and paying him), etc.

The Beatles fanclub chairman was guest of honor at the Kurhaus event. I still see him a couple of times a year (The Beatles performed in the Netherlands on June 6, 1964.) The Beatles arrived in NL with great media coverage (Amsterdam went crazy), while the Stones sort of "sneaked in through the backdoor" (I didn't know until I read the newspaper covering the chaos grinning smiley. But ... the Stones were there to stay "forever" (Amsterdam, Arnhem 2017!).
smileys with beer

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home