Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

vaults question. hampton/leeds
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 22, 2017 19:38

be grateful if anyone could answer this.

just bought the vaults live release from roundhay park leeds in 1982. was wondering if it is similar to the hampton release from 1981 and would it be worth buying hampton too. not wanting to if they are too similar.

and is hampton vaults release the same as the vhs/dvd edition of lets spend the night together.

cheers for any answers.

Re: vaults question. hampton/leeds
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 22, 2017 19:45

Here's my review from when it came out.
Google will translate it easily for you ;-)

https://doctorstonesblog.blogspot.fr/2015/11/zoom-sur-rolling-stones-live-in-leeds.html

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: December 22, 2017 19:49

buttons67

just bought the vaults live release from roundhay park leeds in 1982. was wondering if it is similar to the hampton release from 1981 and would it be worth buying hampton too. not wanting to if they are too similar.

and is hampton vaults release the same as the vhs/dvd edition of lets spend the night together.

cheers for any answers.

1. Yes, it's definitely worth buying both. The Leeds-show is special for many reasons, but it rocks hard - that's the main thing.

2. No, it's a different and far superior show, imo.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 22, 2017 19:52

[translate.google.fr]

still not perfect translation, but you'll get the point

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: December 22, 2017 20:14

Hampton video is much better because it was shot as a multi-camera professional pay-per-view television event. From what I can tell, Leeds seems to be taken from the cameras used for the video screens in the stadium and is almost all head shots or waist-up angles at best. The viewer rarely gets to see guitars being played or full band member camera angles. For this reason, I love the audio, but the Leeds video is almost unwatchable after seeing it once. On the other hand, I enjoy the Hampton video over and over again. I could be biased because I was at both Hampton shows in 1981.

HBK

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 22, 2017 20:18

Hampton is a must have as well.
Different from Leeds not because of the set list but mostly because Hampton has the guitars even more upfront.
The effect arises because the sax player is more prominent on Leeds.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 22, 2017 22:48

Both shows are great. Mick's overall performance is better at Roundhay, but the band sounds great on both. The difference is how much more revved up they are by Roundhay, having toured for two years. They are very similar setlists, but very different performances. Bill is a knockout.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 22, 2017 23:06

I like both shows, it was a great era for the band. There are, however, so many really special moments at Hampton - JMI is just sensational, with great dynamics and if there ever was such a thing as 'weaving' there are many fine examples here.

I think I'm going to put on the long, somewhat mournful, YCAGWYW from that beautiful evening on right now!

Date: December 22, 2017 23:09

A slide solo by Ronnie on YCAGWYW on Leeds.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 23, 2017 00:48

I saw Leeds at the local shop the other day for only 10€ but didn't get it as I have Hampton and setlistwise, the only difference is that Leeds has Angie and Hampton has 2 songs that aren't on Leeds...

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 23, 2017 00:55

FrogSugar
I saw Leeds at the local shop the other day for only 10€ but didn't get it as I have Hampton and setlistwise, the only difference is that Leeds has Angie and Hampton has 2 songs that aren't on Leeds...
Make no mistake.
Get em both

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 23, 2017 02:06

The fact that Leeds is the last ever appearance of Stu with the Stones is enough reason to get it.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: December 23, 2017 18:00

Leeds is mainly close ups of the band, you get very very few shots of Keith, Ronnie or Bill playing. It just looks like they are standing at a bus stop having sexy thoughts. In Ronnie's case sometimes an orgasm!

Date: December 23, 2017 18:18

Both Vault releases also contain a live album. I reckon buttons67 wonders about the quality of the shows performances wise, not just the video quality..

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 24, 2017 13:49

Hampton is the one I always go back to.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: December 24, 2017 14:56

If you are a real fan you have to have them both. No question about it!winking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 24, 2017 15:05

I have neither. grinning smiley

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: December 24, 2017 17:33

HouseBoyKnows
Hampton video is much better because it was shot as a multi-camera professional pay-per-view television event. From what I can tell, Leeds seems to be taken from the cameras used for the video screens in the stadium and is almost all head shots or waist-up angles at best. The viewer rarely gets to see guitars being played or full band member camera angles. For this reason, I love the audio, but the Leeds video is almost unwatchable after seeing it once. On the other hand, I enjoy the Hampton video over and over again. I could be biased because I was at both Hampton shows in 1981.

HBK

Agree 100%

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 24, 2017 19:10

buttons67

cheers for any answers.

Get it from the library so you can make up your own mind.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 24, 2017 21:14

I was at the Leeds Roundhay gig...it is only 14 miles from where I lived and I'd seen them at Newcastle earlier in the tour. They kind of billed it as the final ever Stones gig...not directly but that was the impression we all had. To be honest I didn;t really rate either of those shows and if I had to choose I;d always go for the Hampton DVD. The sound is better and the filming is way better.

Roundhay, was a great day out and exciting as it was just down the road from me....but maybe it was the inferior sound systems back in the day, and it was really breezy so the sound tended to float in and out and it was a large outdoor venue...literally a park. So it could just be those factors which played a role on the day.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 25, 2017 02:20

Both shows are worth owning. Hampton is shot better and more relaxed. Leeds has (coke-fueled?) energy beyond human comprehension.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 27, 2017 14:05

cheers, i,ll get both.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 28, 2017 13:11

HouseBoyKnows

HBK
Very good description which I agree with , as the Video from Hampton was superior and the Leeds show is very good but the songs are tad bit rushed compared to Hampton but the playing is Killer .smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2017 18:42

It's interesting how they changed the beginning of Hang Fire from 1981 to 1982 with these releases - it's completely different. That's what's nice about having both of these live albums - there are minor and major differences.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 28, 2017 18:46

GasLightStreet
It's interesting how they changed the beginning of Hang Fire from 1981 to 1982 with these releases - it's completely different. That's what's nice about having both of these live albums - there are minor and major differences.
You most certainly have to have both for your home collection .

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 28, 2017 18:51

Yep, compare them as albums (audio) rather than videos. Leeds is horrible as a video recording compared with Hampton of course.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2017 18:53

As bad as the Stones were for those tours, I really enjoy them. I've always liked STILL LIFE. Having HAMPTON and LEEDS is killer. Definitely worth having.

In fact, if they released another one from either year I'd buy it. I refuse to buy anything from the BANG tour. Everything released from that has been garbage. The movie "soundtrack", the DVD box set. All a huge disappointment.

Date: December 29, 2017 12:55

GasLightStreet
As bad as the Stones were for those tours, I really enjoy them. I've always liked STILL LIFE. Having HAMPTON and LEEDS is killer. Definitely worth having.

In fact, if they released another one from either year I'd buy it. I refuse to buy anything from the BANG tour. Everything released from that has been garbage. The movie "soundtrack", the DVD box set. All a huge disappointment.

Light The Fuse wasn't too bad..

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 29, 2017 18:29

geordiestone
Leeds is mainly close ups of the band, you get very very few shots of Keith, Ronnie or Bill playing. It just looks like they are standing at a bus stop having sexy thoughts. In Ronnie's case sometimes an orgasm!

What a great review, and yes, it's true - it's a bizarre watch, especially Ronnie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-29 18:30 by Erik_Snow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home