Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rick Rubin
Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 19, 2005 03:38

Have the Stones ever worked with him? He has done wonders for many artists including the late Johnny Cash. He is a great producer and just wondering if they have ever worked with him. I don't recall but maybe on some solo stuff?

Re: Rick Rubin
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 19, 2005 03:42

he is very good indeed.

he worked with M. Jagger in 1993 for the Wandering Spirit album.

He has worke with bands like The Cult or Slayer, back in th ´80´s

Posted by: danielb ()
Date: September 19, 2005 03:43

Rick Rubin produced Mick's solo album "Wandering Spirit".

Apparently they clashed on a lot of things.

Yes, Rick is amazing - if you haven't heard Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, you are missing one of the finest albums of that decade (and possibly of all time). Stones fans will love it.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 19, 2005 04:37

Wandering Spirit is outstanding. Just think if they booted Was for an album and got Rubin? It would be one fine Stones album.

Posted by: artur34 ()
Date: September 19, 2005 04:40

danielb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rick Rubin produced Mick's solo album "Wandering
> Spirit".
>
> Apparently they clashed on a lot of things.
>
> Yes, Rick is amazing - if you haven't heard Blood
> Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, you
> are missing one of the finest albums of that
> decade (and possibly of all time). Stones fans
> will love it.

you right Rick is a very good producer and a successful one. i like on Mick's solo album the sound and hope he get on with stones as well

Posted by: intv7 ()
Date: September 19, 2005 05:08

I was just saying this to a friend the other day, he should have produced the new album, I think it would have been even better.

Rubin just did an album with -- (gasp) -- Neil Diamond, and supposedly it's stripped of all the cheesy, Vegasy bullshit from the past 30 years and just features him and an acoustic guitar, they say it's the best thing he's done since the 1960's when he was a real singer/songwriter.

I think if the Stones did an album with him, it would be a perfect fit. It would be the most "true-sounding" Stones album since Exile.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 19, 2005 05:47

My gripe with Rick Rubin is that he has this "lot of cuts on an album" disease... not any worse with him than anyone else I guess...

On the 2 latest Chili Peppers Albums (Californication and By The Way)... if he'd just trimmed like 2 songs off of each he would have had 2 "Albums of the Decade"...

An alarm should go off in these producers heads that once they hit 10 or 11 songs to really SLOW DOWN... instead they always go for 15 tracks or more and add a bunch of junk filler.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 19, 2005 07:32

Yes, in the Rolling Stone with the Stones on the cover, the new one, there's big writeup on Rick.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 19, 2005 14:50

Rick Rubin as producer for the Stones? The outcome might be the most countrified Stones album ever with Keith and Charlie low in the mix and Chuck and a still to be announced pedal steel player higher in the mix than Jagger's voice.
I'd prefer to hear them work with Brendan O'Brien (Neil Young's Mirror Ball), or Matt Wallace (Faith No More).
But Rick Rubin could do well with Keith's maybe forthcoming solo album of ballads.
For a Mick Jagger solo album, Mousse T (Tom Jones's Sex Bomb) would be fitting, or an experimentalist like Howie B (U2's Pop, Les Negresses Vertes). No guest rappers please. Thanks.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 19, 2005 17:39

Rubin did a great job on Wandering Spirit - best solo release by any Stone, ever. I would love it if he would produce the Stones. Don Was is mediocre at best!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 19, 2005 17:48

The work he did with Johnny Cash is just outstanding.
Check out the four American Recording releases made before Cash's death. The last one never leaves my car CD changer.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 19, 2005 17:59

He was SHIT for AC/DC!

as they'll quite happily tell you

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 19, 2005 18:04

Rick also recently produced a Tom Petty album. For me, that was a bad production unlike "Wandering Spirit" which, IMO, is just the best solo album of any Stone.

Posted by: danielb ()
Date: September 19, 2005 18:52

Sidebar to Creedencelives:

I agree that his albums are epic in scope - with the track lists occasionally suffering from length.

But in my opinion,

4 of the 5 greatest albums ever made were double albums:

Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
The Clash - London Calling
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

I do agree that By The Way should be 2 songs shorter (Throw Away Your Television and I Would Die For You are very trite and obvious for a band of that stature). Californication was fine by me - I was just so happy to have John back!

I would be thrilled if Rubin would produce the next Stones album!

RE:

My gripe with Rick Rubin is that he has this "lot of cuts on an album" disease... not any worse with him than anyone else I guess...

On the 2 latest Chili Peppers Albums (Californication and By The Way)... if he'd just trimmed like 2 songs off of each he would have had 2 "Albums of the Decade"...

An alarm should go off in these producers heads that once they hit 10 or 11 songs to really SLOW DOWN... instead they always go for 15 tracks or more and add a bunch of junk filler.

" You go and I'll come with you... Bet your life that I'll walk with you..."

Date: September 19, 2005 19:03

What if the Glimmers just produced themselves? and why the anti-Don Was sentiment? ABB is doing pretty well...
however, Rubin's work with the Chili Peppers is great.
guess MJ didn't go for some of his ideas on Wandering Spirit...
DR

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: September 19, 2005 19:15

I agree with you about the length of many albums these days. But it's not the producer's decision. It's the band's (or manager's) decision how many songs end up on an album. A producer is in most cases "just hired" by the band. Imagine Don Was is the one who decides what's gonna be on A Bigger Bang and what's not!

But I would love to see Rick Rubin produce The Stones!

So anybody from LA on the forum, pass the message to Rick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-19 19:18 by Mack Jigger.

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: September 19, 2005 20:34

Rick Rubin would be an excellent producer for the Stones. And I'm not worry about any rappers. Rubin worked with AC/DC on their Ballbreaker album (1995) and that's one of my favorites.

AC/DC = of course without rap, hip hop or something else. Just Rock and Roll.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 19, 2005 20:41

Ballbreaker was a TERRIBLE album!

the band hated working with Rubin and boy did it show

the only AC/DC album worse would have to be The Razors Edge

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 27, 2013 22:33

...it's time to call the great producer Rick Rubin for the new Stones album. We have enough of Don 'yes-man' Was

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 27, 2013 22:39

8 years later... nothing has changed! The Stones will never work with Rubin.

Jagger didn't like the WS exp (he called Rubin "difficult" which must mean "pita" in regular English) so that's it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 27, 2013 22:57

dcba
8 years later... nothing has changed! The Stones will never work with Rubin.

Jagger didn't like the WS exp (he called Rubin "difficult" which must mean "pita" in regular English) so that's it.

8 years later there is always the need to change producer and Rubin is the best one out there for the Stones. He's 'difficult' (or a 'pita') but Wanderin Spirit is the best Mick's solo album.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 27, 2013 23:03

But Rubin is the founder of Def Jam Records, no? Do we really want someone whose such a huge hip-hop fan, to be involved with our beloved Rolling Stones? Won't that corrupt the boys? What if Rubin tries to persuade Jagger-and-co to collaborate with those pesky rappers?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 27, 2013 23:21

KRiffhard
8 years later there is always the need to change producer and Rubin is the best one out there for the Stones. He's 'difficult' (or a 'pita') but Wanderin Spirit is the best Mick's solo album.

I fully agree but you and I know it won't happen, unfortunately.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 27, 2013 23:27

andy js

After Bon Scott's death - everything AC/DC has done - SUCKS !! They should retire, not tommorrow, but like yesterday, like NOW - just awful crap. Bon Scott sounded like a man and that new singer sounds like Mickey Mouse, - no producer can ever safe that.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 28, 2013 00:22

Great job on Sabbath's 13

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 28, 2013 00:25

seitan
andy js

After Bon Scott's death - everything AC/DC has done - SUCKS !! They should retire, not tommorrow, but like yesterday, like NOW - just awful crap. Bon Scott sounded like a man and that new singer sounds like Mickey Mouse, - no producer can ever safe that.

I love how it's possible to have a conversation with someone from 8 years ago.

I can't imagine you don't like Back In Black but whatever.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 28, 2013 01:53

Nah, Rick isn't the right guy for this particular job.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 28, 2013 01:57

....NO don't let Rubin's anywhere near the Stones ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:25

His rock records tend to be too "hot" and clip at mid levels unless you have a gazillion dollar stereo.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:51

Rubin can do good stuff, but he isn't the guy for The Stones. I have read a few recent interviews and there is a good Youtube about Rubin, how he basically doesn't do much now. Comes in a few times, talks and bullshits, then leaves. The engineers do the bulk of the heavy lifting.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home