Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Rick Rubin
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:56

whitem8

Comes in a few times, talks and bullshits, then leaves. The engineers do the bulk of the heavy lifting.

But Andrew did quite a good work with that routine...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:59

rick rubin is a good producer....sometimes. as was said earlier,his work with ac/dc and tom petty wasn't that good and i think he gets way too much credit for wandering spirit.
wandering spirit was alot of mick just wanting to do a really good record after two not so good ones.his first two he was trying to make something very unsafe and un-rolling stones, which oddly enough is what he always gets grief from stones fans for not doing.

the black crowes fcking HATE rick rubin.he's the guy who wanted them to change their name to kobb kounty krows...kkk.not really the image a southern band is trying to project.
rubin floated that story about "a famous legend he told to try harder" or whatever to enhance his own image.mick jagger has been apart of making some pretty good records,i think he knows how its done.as he said"rick rubin has all these ideas about how old rock records were made,i dont need to be told..i was there" to think rubin could be some kind of savior for the stones is a fcking joke.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 28, 2013 04:16

Doxa
whitem8

Comes in a few times, talks and bullshits, then leaves. The engineers do the bulk of the heavy lifting.

But Andrew did quite a good work with that routine...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Humm, not sure that worked great. The Stones were sorely in need of a good producer.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 28, 2013 04:35

Watch out when friends visit in expensive cars. Black Flag singer Henry Rollins' friend and roady, Joe Cole, was murdered during a robbery at Rollins' house. It's an unsolved murder, but Rick Rubin visited Rollins' home the day before in a Rolls Royce, and it's suspected that the robbers thought Rollins house must then hold valuables, and that's why they chose to rob it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 28, 2013 10:04

lem motlow

wandering spirit was alot of mick just wanting to do a really good record after two not so good ones.his first two he was trying to make something very unsafe and un-rolling stones, which oddly enough is what he always gets grief from stones fans for not doing.

I think you're wrong : MJ said in that interview ("Rock And Folk" 1993) that RR was "difficult, even more difficult than Keith".

My translation : Rubin didn't go along with my BS, as I wanted once again to make a disposable solo album full of bad taste in terms of arrangements, and filled to the brim with guests contributions by the hottest artists du jour.

No Rubin forced me to stick to my roots and made me come up with a disc ppl could still listen to in 2013. Man I hated that".

For Goddess, Mick went back to what he wanted : Lenny Kravitz, a plastic sound, 37 guests etc etc

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 28, 2013 11:00

Wouldn't call Ballbreaker TERRIBLE. I think the only DC album with no real merit is Blow up your video. I actually like the production on Ballbreaker, and it has a few classics - title track, Hard as a rock, Hail ceaser, the Furor. The problem is that the rest of the songs suck. Love bomb must be the worst thing they ever did. Always loved the artwork plus the fact Rudd was back in the band, but they should have thrown out half the songs and written new ones. Not sure that is Rubins responsibility. I do recall Angus saying that Malcolm basically ended up producing the record.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 28, 2013 14:58

lem motlow
rick rubin is a good producer....sometimes. as was said earlier,his work with ac/dc and tom petty wasn't that good and i think he gets way too much credit for wandering spirit.
(...).

"Wildflower" is a great album, maybe the last by Tom Petty. Ballbreaker is well produced, much better than the last AC/DC 'Black Ice' with Brendan O'Brien as producer. Thanks to Rick Rubin Wandering Spirit has that great sound and is not present the crappy song 'Charmed Life' which is an outtake from those sessions.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 28, 2013 18:48

Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" has been produced as much by Rick Rubin if not more by his regular collaborator at the time, George Drakoulias, who has also helmed a lot of albums by The Jayhawks which appeared on Rubin's own record label American Records. Drakoulias even gets a credit that says something similar to co-producer but it is worded differently to not take away from the producer.
On the other 2 albums Rubin did with Tom Petty, Petty & the Heartbreakers are mentioned as co-producers. On the Dixie Chicks album which Rubin produced, songwriter Dan Wilson has done a lot of the arrangement work and had the quasi co-producer role there.

So it's no surprise that Mick Jagger was the co-producer on "Wandering Spirit".

When "Charmed Life" was announced as an outtake from the "Wandering Spirit" sessions, I was eagerly awaiting its arrival but when I first heard it, I immediately realized this weak funk disco track was not worth buying a Greatest Hits CD for. I could do without Jagger's cover of Bill Withers' "Use Me", too, but would I replace it on the album with "Charmed Life"? I'm not sure.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 28, 2013 20:01

Today's go-to producers for Artists of a Certain Age...

Rick Rubin

T-Bone Burnett

Daniel Lanois

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 29, 2013 17:42

His work with The Cult was brilliant, although they started work on another album with him and abandoned the work because he was more interested in running his record label than producing.

When he had expressed interest to work with AC/DC and then Ballbreaker came out it reminded me of what some people talk about with 'the idea is better than reality' or whatever it is. That there is disappiontment with what really happens and the idea is destroyed.

A great idea, lousy results. I was expecting something with the intensity of Powerage, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, FTATR...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 29, 2013 20:24

GasLightStreet
His work with The Cult was brilliant, although they started work on another album with him and abandoned the work because he was more interested in running his record label than producing.

When he had expressed interest to work with AC/DC and then Ballbreaker came out it reminded me of what some people talk about with 'the idea is better than reality' or whatever it is. That there is disappiontment with what really happens and the idea is destroyed.

A great idea, lousy results. I was expecting something with the intensity of Powerage, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, FTATR...

Ballbreaker is a good album and is well produced. Rubin has also produced the best album of the Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Blood, Sugar, Sex and Magic'.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 29, 2013 20:47

Tom Waits should produce The Rolling Stones. It would really force them to do both things that cause so much friction between Mick and Keith: pay homage to your roots and push it into new visions. Waits has a keen ear for the strange and decadent, and the beauty of decay. He also writes. He writes lyrics that tell stories with amazing melodies. Mick would need to up his game, and start writing some songs about more than just the women he f'd, or wants to f. And Keith would have to stop resting on his cliches of a riff master and bring out some nasty unholy primal riffing and some beautiful sensitive playing. I was actually very surprised to see him play with The Stones in 2013, and that signals a bit of a shift in my opinion and could actually point more towards Mick and Keith coming together on a musical vision.

Date: September 29, 2013 21:38

KRiffhard

Rubin has also produced the best album of the Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Blood, Sugar, Sex and Magic'.

One story : one day he asked to look at a few notes Kiedis had put down on a notepad. The singer said "nah it's just a few random personal things I've put to paper". Rubin asked to read them, fond them vey good and suggest the band to use them as lyrics.

These random notes became the lyrics for "Under The Bridge" the song that put the RHCP on a mega-star level.

Do you think Mick or Keith would let the placid bearded man digging their trash? Nope...

Don "yes boss" Was is a much more acceptable producer, alas...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 21:40 by dcba.

Posted by: jane tarzan ()
Date: September 29, 2013 21:51

I remember reading a Rubin interview, where he told that during the "Wandering Spirit" sessions Jagger was surrounded by his own yes-men and he couldn't get through. I remember him disliking especially Jagger's lyrics.
"Wandering spirit" is a good album, but it's just Jagger's take on a "good playing Stones". A wanna-be Keith Richards on guitar and a good drummer, but lacking the personality of Charlie Watts. The band on that album sounds like one of the million good playing bar bands in the world.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 29, 2013 22:48

whitem8
Tom Waits should produce The Rolling Stones. It would really force them to do both things that cause so much friction between Mick and Keith: pay homage to your roots and push it into new visions. Waits has a keen ear for the strange and decadent, and the beauty of decay. He also writes. He writes lyrics that tell stories with amazing melodies. Mick would need to up his game, and start writing some songs about more than just the women he f'd, or wants to f. And Keith would have to stop resting on his cliches of a riff master and bring out some nasty unholy primal riffing and some beautiful sensitive playing. I was actually very surprised to see him play with The Stones in 2013, and that signals a bit of a shift in my opinion and could actually point more towards Mick and Keith coming together on a musical vision.

Interesting. Not sure it would ever happen, but you make a great case for it.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: September 29, 2013 23:37

Rick Rubin is the man. Not only did he produce Mick's best solo disc, he also was instrumental in assisting The Cult with Electric which I feel is their best disc of all time and one of the best hard rock discs ever. Certainly in my top ten. I would love to see him do a Stones Disc!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 30, 2013 00:08

The guy from Slipknot said all Rick did was come in once a week for 45 minutes, lay on a couch and eat, then take a producers credit.

Date: September 30, 2013 00:27

jane tarzan
during the "Wandering Spirit" sessions Jagger was surrounded by his own yes-men

How surprising! Sometimes we should all commend Keith for cracking the whip in the studio. Like "get your "friends" out of the control room or I'll stab one of 'em". >grinning smiley<

Date: September 30, 2013 00:28

NoCode0680
The guy from Slipknot said all Rick did was come in once a week for 45 minutes, lay on a couch and eat, then take a producers credit.

Because there's just no way this band's "music" can be salvaged or fixed? smoking smiley

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: September 30, 2013 00:30

He did a good job with the new ZZ Top album, I think he cut the band right down to just guitars and real drums, and kept the blues intact. Stones would never have someone tell them what to do...unfortunately.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 30, 2013 00:38

dcba
NoCode0680

Because there's just no way this band's "music" can be salvaged or fixed? smoking smiley

I've wondered that myself, if maybe his experience wasn't usual because maybe Slipknot isn't really Rick's thing. I've never heard any of their stuff, but I haven't heard good things.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 30, 2013 02:09

Rubin is up there with Mutt Lange and Roy Thomas Baker in bringing a little extra out of bands who can produce themselves but need a little extra... something.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 30, 2013 04:22

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet

Ballbreaker is a good album and is well produced. Rubin has also produced the best album of the Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Blood, Sugar, Sex and Magic'.

Well, to me Ballbreaker is a bit mellow really. It's not what I was hoping for. Yeah it's good but it's not GOOD. You're right about the Chilis. That was a huge turn for them.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 30, 2013 05:17

What do you get when you cross Grizzly Adams with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi? See mathematical equation below.

+ =

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 30, 2013 11:17

dcba
lem motlow

I think you're wrong : MJ said in that interview ("Rock And Folk" 1993) that RR was "difficult, even more difficult than Keith".

My translation : Rubin didn't go along with my BS, as I wanted once again to make a disposable solo album full of bad taste in terms of arrangements, and filled to the brim with guests contributions by the hottest artists du jour.

No Rubin forced me to stick to my roots and made me come up with a disc ppl could still listen to in 2013. Man I hated that".

For Goddess, Mick went back to what he wanted : Lenny Kravitz, a plastic sound, 37 guests etc etc

Yeah and from that same R&F magazine (remember reading it in Djibouti, can't remember if I bought it, it might be in the YP archive, hum...no [syp.blog4ever.com]) I'm pretty sure Manoeuvre explained that Ahmet Ertegun had nixed two earlier versions of WS and I wonder if that's not when he went to work with Rubin. The timeline is fuzzy (NZ says he was in LA in January [www.nzentgraf.de]) but "Vanity Fair" had a pretty interesting article on Mick working on "Don't Tear Me Up" in London with his musical "aide de camp", Matt Clifford, in March 1992, withlittle James was bopping around, just like Mick does when he gets into a grove while recording/rehearsing...certainly saw a bit of that 20 years later in Bondy...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 30, 2013 13:02

Rick Ruben produced Jake Bugg's latest record...out soon

Date: September 30, 2013 13:15

Semi-OT but some time ago I read a Bob Rock interview where he was asked about Metallica and why the "Black Album" (1991) was so great and the three others (1996-7 and 2003) not so.

He replied that after 1991 the band tight as sh!t and ready to kill anyone to make a great music well he never got that band again.

So as good as a producer can be, if the band drags its feet cos they're not hungry anymore...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 30, 2013 14:47

"Tight" as is not wanting to spend money on producing a good record? Or they were very tight, as in "together", in 1991 for the Black Album?

But yeah, clearly, the songs have to be there...I'd say they were there for Goddess too and even ABB, VL not so much (at least what was used, there are some gems on the VL/VS/VR box sets), the arrangements and production let them down though.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 30, 2013 15:30

Tight as a unit eager to make the best possible music.

For "Load" they came with empty pockets and they basically made the riffs in the studio... à la "Dirty Work" >grinning smiley<

Looks like Rock no more feels compelled to remain silent and doesn't want to be seen as "the guy who destroyed Metallica" any longer.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: September 30, 2013 20:25

Let Jack White do it for god sake!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home