Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT: RIP Malcolm Young (AC/DC)
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 25, 2017 14:12

keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
FrogSugar
Malcolm was indeed the boss of the band.

Only thing that still amazes (and bugs) me is the AC/DC Live album, which has those between song fades that kill any impression of being at an actual show. That totally ruins the album for me.

I feel none of their live albums truly captured AC/DC to me, at least that warranted repeat listenings, even their early one If You Want Blood which I know many love. I feel like that one got it the best, but overall nothing touched actually being at a show. Thats true for almost any artist, but there are live albums I can constantly go back to (Ya Yas included) and I never do that with any AC/DC live album. Maybe just cause without the visual there feels like there's something missing? Or just because if you've ever been to an AC/DC show you know that a recording of it can never really do it justice. I'm not sure. I guess Donington also isn't a bad one, but again as much as I enjoy it I rarely listen to it repeatedly, whereas I do hear their studio material quite often. Maybe thats just me.

do you like the live sets in the bonfire boxset?

Yup, that Paris concert is my favourite one, has TNT and Sin City, which are cruelly missing from If You Want Blood...!

Date: November 26, 2017 08:50

FrogSugar
keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
FrogSugar

Only thing that still amazes (and bugs) me is the AC/DC Live album, which has those between song fades that kill any impression of being at an actual show. That totally ruins the album for me.

I feel none of their live albums truly captured AC/DC to me, at least that warranted repeat listenings, even their early one If You Want Blood which I know many love. I feel like that one got it the best, but overall nothing touched actually being at a show. Thats true for almost any artist, but there are live albums I can constantly go back to (Ya Yas included) and I never do that with any AC/DC live album. Maybe just cause without the visual there feels like there's something missing? Or just because if you've ever been to an AC/DC show you know that a recording of it can never really do it justice. I'm not sure. I guess Donington also isn't a bad one, but again as much as I enjoy it I rarely listen to it repeatedly, whereas I do hear their studio material quite often. Maybe thats just me.

Yup, that Paris concert is my favourite one, has TNT and Sin City, which are cruelly missing from If You Want Blood...!

isn't it just the soundtrack to the movie let there be rock?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 26, 2017 09:43

keefriffhard4life
FrogSugar
keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
FrogSugar

isn't it just the soundtrack to the movie let there be rock?
Yeah it is, to the best of my knowledge. However, TNT isn't in the movie.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 26, 2017 11:48

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
FrogSugar

The Live At Atlantic Studios set is my favorite. It has the best versions of Live Wire and Whole Lotta Rosie I've ever heard.

Rosie is blazing on that album!!!!

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: November 26, 2017 17:20

No bull is great, and I was there. Malcom's sound is awesome

Date: November 27, 2017 02:53

i wonder if there is anything from the bon years left for the band to release? studio or live. maybe the entire show that the live album IF YOU WANT BLOOD was drawn from.

between the bonfire set, backtracks, plug e in and family jewels a lot of the known bon stuff is officially out there

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 27, 2017 04:06

keefriffhard4life
i wonder if there is anything from the bon years left for the band to release? studio or live. maybe the entire show that the live album IF YOU WANT BLOOD was drawn from.

between the bonfire set, backtracks, plug e in and family jewels a lot of the known bon stuff is officially out there

Yes, the whole Glasgow Apollo 78 show would be an awesome release or Oakland Day On The Green 78 or even the Detroit Joe Lous Arena show(s) from 83.

Date: November 27, 2017 04:38

DGA35
keefriffhard4life

Yes, the whole Glasgow Apollo 78 show would be an awesome release or Oakland Day On The Green 78 or even the Detroit Joe Lous Arena show(s) from 83.

agreed

Date: November 27, 2017 04:52

capsula
No bull is great, and I was there. Malcom's sound is awesome
No Bull is a great video, but the sound is weak as hell. Brian's voice is shot and the guitar tone lacks balls.

It's great to see Phil back and the camera work and crowds are better than on Live At Donington, but I just wish the sound kicked you in the face more.

Date: November 27, 2017 06:03

shame after the razors edge tour the band stopped playing this tune. one of the best post 1982 AC/DC tunes ever. nice groove. actually the highest charting single the band ever had

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 27, 2017 06:20

keefriffhard4life
shame after the razors edge tour the band stopped playing this tune. one of the best post 1982 AC/DC tunes ever. nice groove. actually the highest charting single the band ever had

[www.youtube.com]
Was never a huge fan of this song...the chorus is a little too poppy and cheesy for my taste, although I like the verse lyrics and riff.

It seems like either Phil Rudd was unwilling to play any songs he didn't originally drum on, or the band decided to focus on that material instead. I think the ONLY song Phil played that he didn't do the original drumming on was Thunderstruck.

It's a shame, because there are some good tunes on the non-Phil albums, particularly Blow Up Your Video.

And although Phil played on Flick of the Switch, that's another album that got NO love after they toured for it. That's they're most underrated album IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-27 06:21 by keefriff99.

Date: November 27, 2017 07:07

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life

[www.youtube.com]
Was never a huge fan of this song...the chorus is a little too poppy and cheesy for my taste, although I like the verse lyrics and riff.

It seems like either Phil Rudd was unwilling to play any songs he didn't originally drum on, or the band decided to focus on that material instead. I think the ONLY song Phil played that he didn't do the original drumming on was Thunderstruck.

It's a shame, because there are some good tunes on the non-Phil albums, particularly Blow Up Your Video.

And although Phil played on Flick of the Switch, that's another album that got NO love after they toured for it. That's they're most underrated album IMO.

yeah maybe its rudds choice but really recently after every tour they stop playing anything new other than thunderstruck and i'd rather hear moneytalks at this point and it fits axl rose perfectly. just think, they stopped playing stuff from ballbreaker after that except hard as a rock which was dropped after that. have they played a stiff upper lip tune since that tour?

you are right, flick of the switch is underrated

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 27, 2017 07:47

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life

[www.youtube.com]

yeah maybe its rudds choice but really recently after every tour they stop playing anything new other than thunderstruck and i'd rather hear moneytalks at this point and it fits axl rose perfectly. just think, they stopped playing stuff from ballbreaker after that except hard as a rock which was dropped after that. have they played a stiff upper lip tune since that tour?

I don't think Phil would have that much pull in the band as to what songs they play live. I think Moneytalks is my favourite AC/DC song since 89. Managed to get one of the bills they dropped during the song on the Razors Edge tour.

I think Flick is underrated because of the album being self produced. Had that raw LTBR sound versus the Mutt Lange sound of Back In Black! I think had Mutt produced that album it would have done better but he was working on Pyromania. Always loved Guns For Hire, Nervous Shakedown and the title track. Same feelings about Fly On The Wall. When I bought the album when it first came out, I couldn't even make out what Brian was singing! His vocals were buried so much in the songs. Wish they would play a song or two from this album like Shake Your Foundations or Danger.

Date: November 27, 2017 08:09

DGA35
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life

[www.youtube.com]

I don't think Phil would have that much pull in the band as to what songs they play live. I think Moneytalks is my favourite AC/DC song since 89. Managed to get one of the bills they dropped during the song on the Razors Edge tour.

I think Flick is underrated because of the album being self produced. Had that raw LTBR sound versus the Mutt Lange sound of Back In Black! I think had Mutt produced that album it would have done better but he was working on Pyromania. Always loved Guns For Hire, Nervous Shakedown and the title track. Same feelings about Fly On The Wall. When I bought the album when it first came out, I couldn't even make out what Brian was singing! His vocals were buried so much in the songs. Wish they would play a song or two from this album like Shake Your Foundations or Danger.
Yeah, it occurred to me that Phil probably wouldn't have that much pull. Who knows, though? More likely that Malcolm and Angus just wanted to focus on the songs that had the classic Rudd groove, with Thunderstruck being the lone exception because it's a fan favorite.

Fly on the Wall is actually NOT that bad. Most fans consider it their worst, and I suppose it is, but it's still not terrible. The production sounds like they recorded it in a cave, and Brian is singing into a microphone covered in a gym sock, but there are some great riffs and solos to be heard.

Date: November 27, 2017 22:02

i just want to say people always say "ac/dc always play the same song and never changed". thats somewhat true but the reason the bon years were so much better than the brian years was because the band actually did do different things during the bon years. slow bluesy jams like "ride on", "little lover", etc. very fast rockers. mid paced rockers, groove based rockers, etc. with brian johnson after the album for those about to rock it seemed the band basically either did the very fast rockers or the groove rockers and thats it. they stopped with the blues jam type of songs. "boogie man" is really the only new bluesy tune from 1983-1999 i remember the band doing. finally with the album stiff upper lip the band seemed to do things a bit different again

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 28, 2017 00:37

"Always loved Guns For Hire..."

- hell yeah! What a great set opener that was -- [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 28, 2017 03:05

keefriffhard4life
i just want to say people always say "ac/dc always play the same song and never changed". thats somewhat true but the reason the bon years were so much better than the brian years was because the band actually did do different things during the bon years. slow bluesy jams like "ride on", "little lover", etc. very fast rockers. mid paced rockers, groove based rockers, etc. with brian johnson after the album for those about to rock it seemed the band basically either did the very fast rockers or the groove rockers and thats it. they stopped with the blues jam type of songs. "boogie man" is really the only new bluesy tune from 1983-1999 i remember the band doing. finally with the album stiff upper lip the band seemed to do things a bit different again
That is a good point. Once Brian got in the band, AC/DC largely stopped playing overtly bluesy tunes and instead morphed into a straightforward hard rock band.

Boogie Man is the only Brian-era song that has the classic 12/8 blues shuffle back beat in the style of Ride On and Night Prowler...and it's not a particularly memorable song aside from Angus doing his striptease to it live.

I also really like Stormy May Day and Rock'n'Roll Dream off of Black Ice. The former features some killer slide blues playing from Angus, and the latter could actually be considered AC/DC's first and only power ballad.

When I hear songs like that, it bums me out that they didn't experiment more through their career. As much as I love the fact that they stuck to their roots and had a completely no-bullshit approach to writing music, they DID have the musical chops to expand their core sound without selling out, and they never really took any chances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 03:07 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 28, 2017 04:35

Date: November 28, 2017 06:30

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
That is a good point. Once Brian got in the band, AC/DC largely stopped playing overtly bluesy tunes and instead morphed into a straightforward hard rock band.

Boogie Man is the only Brian-era song that has the classic 12/8 blues shuffle back beat in the style of Ride On and Night Prowler...and it's not a particularly memorable song aside from Angus doing his striptease to it live.

I also really like Stormy May Day and Rock'n'Roll Dream off of Black Ice. The former features some killer slide blues playing from Angus, and the latter could actually be considered AC/DC's first and only power ballad.

When I hear songs like that, it bums me out that they didn't experiment more through their career. As much as I love the fact that they stuck to their roots and had a completely no-bullshit approach to writing music, they DID have the musical chops to expand their core sound without selling out, and they never really took any chances.

with bon they also had a song with bagpipes, lots of songs with extra percussion, etc. that seems to be missing from the brian years too.

btw I consider the song "love song" with bon a ballad

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 28, 2017 06:54

I had no freaking clue that George Young of the Easybeats was their older brother. eye popping smiley

What a way to find out.

Date: November 28, 2017 09:40

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life

with bon they also had a song with bagpipes, lots of songs with extra percussion, etc. that seems to be missing from the brian years too.

btw I consider the song "love song" with bon a ballad
Ah, I'm not familiar with that song...just listening to it now, and yeah, definitely a ballad.

The different versions of High Voltage and TNT (Australian vs International) have always confused me.

Date: November 28, 2017 09:41

Aquamarine
I had no freaking clue that George Young of the Easybeats was their older brother. eye popping smiley

What a way to find out.
Yep, that was George. The Young family has a lot of musical talent.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: November 28, 2017 13:17

Malcolm was laid to rest today
This is one of the saddest photos ever taken in Australia
Tear up each time I see it

[www.instagram.com]

Date: November 28, 2017 13:23

Deathgod
Malcolm was laid to rest today
This is one of the saddest photos ever taken in Australia
Tear up each time I see it

[www.instagram.com]
Wow, that is moving. Poignant moment.

Date: November 28, 2017 13:28

Video

Sad indeed sad smiley

Date: November 28, 2017 13:46

I'm glad to see that Brian, Cliff and Phil were all in attendance.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 28, 2017 14:09

that instagram got me sad smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 28, 2017 15:02

sad smiley

[www.abc.net.au]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: November 28, 2017 15:05

Mark Evans (former bassist) too. Stevie Young of course.
Angry Anderson, Jimmy Barnes, Harry Vanda...

keefriff99
I'm glad to see that Brian, Cliff and Phil were all in attendance.

Date: November 28, 2017 16:24

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1375
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home