Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18
Re: Paris show-3 France 25-Oct-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 28, 2017 01:43

schwonek
Oh, and not forget about the final bow with just Ron, Charlie and Keith. So funny.

YEAH!! How did that come about?

Just foolin' around, man ... (that's what I guess)

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 28, 2017 03:40

...nice touch by KR to mention Mick during intro's...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 28, 2017 14:56

Rip This

...it was high time to mention Mick during the band introduction, because I think he simply deserves it!

Posted by: Aron ()
Date: October 28, 2017 16:09

Very nice review in dutch of the last concert in Paris.
[www.humo.be]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 28, 2017 16:11

retired_dog
Rip This

...it was high time to mention Mick during the band introduction, because I think he simply deserves it!

Yes, been wondering who that blokes been all these years.

Date: October 28, 2017 16:53

Ronnie did his share of introducing him on earlier tours, though smiling smiley

The entire VL-tour + El Mocambo.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 28, 2017 17:32

"Very nice review in dutch of the last concert in Paris"

Translation??

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 28, 2017 19:40

laertisflash

"Very nice review in dutch of the last concert in Paris" Translation??

A rough one by [Translate.Google.com] :

Concert Review: The Rolling Stones in the U Arena (Paris)

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 20:41 , by ( ss )

Why the Stones? Just before the Rolling Stones started their third and last concert in Paris, and who knows the last ever, Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild" drove through the boxes. I mean: there were hundreds of good rock groups with at least a few classic songs in the late 1960's. All of them are split, demolished, sentenced to the pathetic retrocircuit of has-beens, or death.

That the Stones, now, as Seventies ( "Hope I die before I get old" , The Who's one-liner, something that Jagger never were to say) to be on their own neverending Tour has several causes. They do not have just a load of classic classics and populist chorus that are connoisseurs without ever getting a hug. They have tons of charisma. As the first, sooner and longer than the Beatles , they realize that they are a brand (with a logo, the iconic outstretched tongue designed by John Pasche , as sexy as rebels). They also want to be absolutely legends ( 'I love the lifestyle,' Ron left out) and continue to struggle. And it's survivors - in the case of Keith Richards , that word is the understatement of the century.

The program Cage the Elephant clearly illustrated the difference between a fairly good rock group and a legendary rock band. Cage the Elephant is rugged and raw (well-listened and watched The Stooges, The Doors and the Stones ), and their singer is definitely a podium, but songs, charisma and impact can not tick that of Jagger & Co. And if Cage the Elephant can fill as seventies in 2048 three U Arena's in Paris, is still the question. A brilliant hall by the way, the brand new U Arena just outside Paris, initiated by the Stones: almost three times as big as the Antwerp Sports Palace, but better in almost everything, and yet relatively intimate.

Let us start with Keef. In Paris, and earlier on this European tour, he often dropped out: a too lucky deal here (button hit eleven at opener 'Sympathy for the Devil' ), a missed agreement there to skip full flaps during 'Happy' , stupidly stumbling on stage while Ronnie Wood fills the holes ...

But the Keith I saw in Paris was not that of concert reviews in the Netherlands and Germany, where mosquito-repellent journalists claimed that the concert was a little fun. Keith was not perfect, but he's never been, and it's just that nonsense that keeps falling in the fold that makes the Stones so unique. Paul McCartney always brought a technically perfect show. At the Stones it was more a brew, a hut of apparently randomly chopped chords that keep it all raw, funky and exciting. And Keith resigned against Ronnie on recent rehearsals "I do not think I've touched a guitar since the last time I saw you." If you've been playing for sixty years, you can leave that.

And even though Keith's face is just a scale model of the Grand Canyon after long drought, and his flaps look more like elephants each year, his fake teeth are his only visible admittance to the decay. Although, of course, he remains a stubborn, provocative crossbug who, for example, maintains that both Sgt Pepper's and Prince were litter. During the second concert in Paris he carried a T-shirt titled 'Do not X Ray' - the self-spot of someone who has been killing for decades for decades.

The miracle of this last tour is called Mick Jagger . He is now 74. He moves and sings like somebody at 39. In Micks's body rages a battle between tendons and muscles, wrinkles, knots and gravity. For the moment, the muscles and tendons are on the winning hand. (In Keith's body, on the other hand, an impending guerrilla war rages). Mick really sang in Paris, ran a hundred sprints on a 60-meter stage, danced like a bronze foal, he joking and swept in all directions much more than was strictly necessary. I've given much younger rock stars a lot of cooler, lazy, more comfortable and badly sung concerts. And I saw the sympathetic pear Bill Wyman a few years ago, who seemed to be 106 already.

Mick was also so gracious to thank the French local superstars, but when he mentioned Patrick Bruel and Sylvie Vartan , there was a boo-call. Mick also welcomed Madam Macron, the wife of the French president, and he said monkingend. "Hopefully she can go well with Theresa May , because otherwise we will no longer have a visa for our next stay in France."

The set was long and generous and satisfying, a marathon by outcasts, from the unexpected (voted by fans in the setlist) 'She's a rainbow' , an atmospheric and all-along 'You can’t always get what you want' , 'Brown Sugar' , 'Street Fighting Man','Tumbling Dice' (Mick brilliantly at the harmonica that he plays better than Bob Dylan does), 'Just Your Fool' , 'Ride 'em on down' , 'Paint It Black' , She's So Cold' , 'Start Me Up' , 'Jumping Jack Flash' , 'Slipping away', 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll' , 'Honky Tonk Women' , 'Gimme Shelter' imposing and finally threatening 'Midnight Rambler' (the song is finally about a serial killer) and the truly indestructible 'Satisfaction' , perhaps the ultimate rock song (Keith thought that riff just "good enough for a B-side" used to be). My favorite tonight was 'Miss You' - frappant and faut le faire: a musical swing (disco, in this case) hijacking and putting it to your hand.

Because I also can use mosquito screens, I mentioned some songs were getting too long (always because Keith did not seem to disturb signals from Mick of Charlie). The saxophonist was unnecessary and sometimes the songs ran for the feet. And I regret that the gentlemen never, nevertheless, never play my favorites live, even though they may not be suitable for a stadium with stadium facilities (capacity 40,000). No 'Melody' , and no 'Fingerprint File' , no 'Hand Of Fate' , no 'Hey Negrita' , no 'Rock & Hard Place' , no 'Everything's Turning To Gold' ...

Why do they keep going, I heard a Frenchman ask. They have enough money, yes. But the ego wants more and they are too proud to give up on something that smells like retirement - certainly Mick would, even though he's de facto grandfather, slap the thought of bumpering through the house and wonder about what could not be tolerated. That is unbearable for Peter Pan. And, especially, they and nobody else are the Rolling Stones, and if they stop there, nobody is the one.

From the concert that the Stones gave in Werchter in June 2014, I wrote that it was a worthy goodbye. That was the concert of this 'No Filter' tour yet. And both Keith ( 'This is our last show for a bit ... not forever, I'm sure' ) as' Mick ( 'C'est notre dernier concert ... pour le moment' ) showed that they did not stop. But I suspect that. Ronnie Wood has cancer and is weakened (even though he has 70 in the second half). Charlie Watts , verbeten and stoïcijns but also tricky drumming, already had cancer ( "Le Baudelaire de la batterie" called Mick him in Paris). Keith is sometimes confused and tired ( "Start me up" he played sitting), which could be a forerunner of Alzheimer's. The only thing that really looks like steel is Mick, and in the documentary 'Being Mick' you'll see a glimpse of how much effort it took to him twelve years ago.

No, this was it, I fear. Time waits for no one. Even though I hope they prove me wrong.

(December 31st, Photo House Brussels , Blaesstraat 96, another photo exhibition about Rolling Stones. 'Sticky Fingers Live' is now out). -- [www.humo.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 20:10 by Irix.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 28, 2017 19:45

Rip This

At 55:40

[www.youtube.com]

Funy last bow in the end - just Ronnie, Keith and Charlie.... Mick going for a party or had a quick run to the toilet....smileys with beer

Date: October 28, 2017 19:57

Irix
laertisflash

"Very nice review in dutch of the last concert in Paris" Translation??

From the concert that the Stones gave in Werchter in June 2014, I wrote that it was a worthy goodbye. That was the concert of this 'No Filter' tour yet. And both Keith ( 'This is our last show for a bit ... not forever, I'm sure' ) as' Mick ( 'C'est notre dernier concert ... pour le moment' ) showed that they did not stop. But I suspect that. Ronnie Wood has cancer and is weakened (even though he has 70 in the second half). Charlie Watts , Verbeten and Stoic's but also tricky drumming, already had cancer ( "Le Baudelaire de la batterie" called Mick him in Paris). Keith is sometimes confused and tired ( "Start me up" he played sitting), which could be a forerunner of Alzheimer's. The only thing that really looks like steel is Mick, and in the documentary 'Being Mick' you'll see a glimpse of how much effort it took to him twelve years ago.

No, this was it, I fear. Time waits for no one. Even though I hope they prove me wrong.

(December 31st, Photo House Brussels , Blaesstraat 96, another photo exhibition about Rolling Stones. 'Sticky Fingers Live' is now out). -- [www.humo.be]

Ronnie was treated for early cancer symptoms.

Charlie's cancer was treated +10 years ago. Charlie has "back problems" and is suffering, but still can deliver.

"Keith has to sit down" - well the man is 73-74 years old, so he can be tired.

B.B. King / Eric Clapton, for example, have been sitting down during the concerts for many years. Eric has a bugging nerve that makes his appearances a hard time.

Buddy Guy takes breaks during his shows and has done so for many years.... and so we could continue.

It is not the end before one of the four really can't anymore.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2017 20:26

"Keith is sometimes confused and tired ( "Start me up" he played sitting), which could be a forerunner of Alzheimer's".

This writer...speculating on Alzheimers? What an assh*le.

"And even though Keith's face is just a scale model of the Grand Canyon after long drought, and his flaps look more like elephants each year, his fake teeth are his only visible admittance to the decay".

Kind of funny description, and Keith's teeth are very nice, but still...this writer's an assh*le.

At least he enjoyed the show for the most part, and I've read worse reviews.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 28, 2017 20:53

gotdablouse
@grzegorz67 - you're most welcome

Anyone want to guess what Keith said to Mick's ear during MR that made him smille before he got going again ?
Looks like..." You having' a good time??"

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: October 28, 2017 20:53

I think it is a little unfair to compare todays Stones to Paul McCartney, Dylan or any other band or artist that have a backing band or where the band name is bigger than the members. The Stones are stuck with these 4 members, for good and worse, replace any of them with younger musicians and it ain't Stones anymore. I belive (hope) it is over when one of them can't do it anymore, but I don't see that the time has come yet.

I attended a Dylan consert 10-15 years ago where I thought Dylans backing band overshadowed Dylan, playing really rocking versions oh HW69 and others, while Dylan himself just mumbled his lyrics on top of that in the voice he had (or not ha) at that time).

Other artists can replace members of their backing band with any good musican that can reproduce any existing music. Stones can't do that, and if they did it will not swing (like Jagger's solo affort in the 80s, too perfect backup), it would not be Stones anymore.

Stones' songs are mostly not complicated to play, but only Stones themselves can make the best out of them. When they are doing their best, it is a band playing at the edge of breakdown. Sometimes it is excellent, sometimes it falls apart. And I would not have it any other way.

Date: October 28, 2017 21:12

I never thought Dylan was overshadowed by anybody, but some of the shows from 10-15 years ago might have been a bit lackluster due to his vocals. The three Wiltern shows I saw in 2003 were great, though a few around that time were admittedly not so great. That said, he's stepped back up to the plate in recent years - his vocals are much better, and there's not a shadow of a doubt who the ringleader is. Whenever he's scheduled to perform in my area, I think of one of the concert posters I have on my studio wall that says "Don't you dare miss it"!!!

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: October 28, 2017 21:18

It was clear from this tour that it takes the band a bit longer to hit their groove. By the end in Paris, they were hitting their stride. They could have done another month easily, couldn't they?

The early shows were a bit rusty, but the band really finished strong. Amazing that 70 year olds can still rock like the legends they are.

Ronnie did have cancer removed and is doing well, but had a bit of a cold the last few dates. Charlie's back makes it difficult for him to play over 2 hours. Keith, like the rest, is just dealing with getting older the best he can. Mick is still is great shape. But they all are giving it their best.

The U.K... Looks good for next year, if all can stay healthy. Beyond that, we'll see. No progress on the album.

Date: October 28, 2017 21:21

mpj200
It was clear from this tour that it takes the band a bit longer to hit their groove. By the end in Paris, they were hitting their stride. They could have done another month easily, couldn't they?

The early shows were a bit rusty, but the band really finished strong. Amazing that 70 year olds can still rock like the legends they are.

Ronnie did have cancer removed and is doing well, but had a bit of a cold the last few dates. Charlie's back makes it difficult for him to play over 2 hours. Keith, like the rest, is just dealing with getting older the best he can. Mick is still is great shape. But they all are giving it their best.

The U.K... Looks good for next year, if all can stay healthy. Beyond that, we'll see. No progress on the album.

Just announce the dates so I can book my "Stones Vacation" in UK.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: October 28, 2017 21:36

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-29 12:38 by GeorgV.

Date: October 28, 2017 22:55

Thanks for the translation!

Hairball, the reviewer has not devious intentions. I think he is exaggerating knowingly. He wants to emphasize. He also wants to walk the line between seriousness and humor, as for Keith's image... Maybe the writer needs (?) a few funny, sarcastic points, to offset his final, so positive judgment: He gives 5 stars to the gig. IMO it's a nice and enjoyable review, written by a person who- at least - does understand the phenomenon named "Rolling Stones".

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 01:23

35love
retired_dog
Rip This

Yes, been wondering who that blokes been all these years.

It’s about time...I liked that he did that.

Date: October 29, 2017 03:39

laertisflash
Thanks for the translation!

Hairball, the reviewer has not devious intentions. I think he is exaggerating knowingly. He wants to emphasize. He also wants to walk the line between seriousness and humor, as for Keith's image... Maybe the writer needs (?) a few funny, sarcastic points, to offset his final, so positive judgment: He gives 5 stars to the gig. IMO it's a nice and enjoyable review, written by a person who- at least - does understand the phenomenon named "Rolling Stones".

Of course you would forgive him and overlook the insults (or try to justify them) after he gave the show 5 stars.
But imagine if the same sarcastic exaggerations were written by someone who gave the show only 2 or 3 stars (or even one)...would you still be willing to overlook and forgive the nastiness?
Or would you say the writer has no idea what the Stones phenomenon is all about, and is only writing to make the Stones look bad?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 29, 2017 04:09

I think, the google translation made the entire article an ‘A’ intelligent creative word selections,
and there are a few gems written, too.

I know, nobody cares, but Mick threw water on me Paris 2. grinning smiley
My back was turned watching Keith (being filmed, really hitting the guitar)
and water on my back my first thought was WTF?! LMAO

Date: October 29, 2017 15:52

Hairball, I'm not "forgiving" the writer because he gave the show 5 stars. I just believe what I already wrote. That he had humorous mood. Wrong or right, it's my impression. Sadly, I have not the same impression as for some really insulting and sometimes horrible spaculations, about Keith's mental health, which have been written here. In the board. By fans. Allow me to avoid particular reminders, it would be sad.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 30, 2017 16:52

GeorgV
I think it is a little unfair to compare todays Stones to Paul McCartney, Dylan or any other band or artist that have a backing band or where the band name is bigger than the members. The Stones are stuck with these 4 members, for good and worse, replace any of them with younger musicians and it ain't Stones anymore. I belive (hope) it is over when one of them can't do it anymore, but I don't see that the time has come yet.

I attended a Dylan consert 10-15 years ago where I thought Dylans backing band overshadowed Dylan, playing really rocking versions oh HW69 and others, while Dylan himself just mumbled his lyrics on top of that in the voice he had (or not ha) at that time).

Other artists can replace members of their backing band with any good musican that can reproduce any existing music. Stones can't do that, and if they did it will not swing (like Jagger's solo affort in the 80s, too perfect backup), it would not be Stones anymore.

Stones' songs are mostly not complicated to play, but only Stones themselves can make the best out of them. When they are doing their best, it is a band playing at the edge of breakdown. Sometimes it is excellent, sometimes it falls apart. And I would not have it any other way.

Dont know about overshadowing but I think this point is so very true. It can be made the easier way (collect a bunch of youngsters to sound energetic) or the clever way as Neil Young've done with the Promise of the real.

You cant have Jagger backed by another rhythm guitar or drummer and call that The Rolling Stones

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 30, 2017 17:37

Anyway, I am back from my holiday in Paris and my one and only No Filter Concert. All have been said, heard and seen. So these are my few personal notes.

First: it was my first Pit, since Milan 2006 but back then I think there was no pit area just the good ole running to the stage.

Second: a dear friend of mine flew from Florence to share the double ticket for his first Rolling Stones ever. On the pit we met another young italian fellow from Milan, so I was next to two first timers and to watch them watch the show as I did in some moments is very telling about the spell this band can put on people. Also it is very telling exspecially here in this forum what my friend said to me after the show: "In the beginning they were warming up but from HTW on they took off!" grinning smiley funny isnt it?

Third: I was hoping for JJF intro, RO as vote song and DWMD, so setlist wise I was a little disappointed. SSC was very strong recently but it did not impress me as much as I hoped last night.

Fourth: It was not my favourite Stones concert musically speaking (Bercy 2003 and London 2012 second night I remember being far better to my ears) but the experience and the fun in the pit was utter. I was jumping around in second row during Rambler and SFM, I was losing track on mick on the catwalks, looking at the smiling faces around, pumping my fist loud on JJF, miming mick on SMU, shouting "Ma quanto sei bello!!!" as he stopped 3 meters in front, shaking my hips to the rhythm of Miss you etc etc etc

Fifth: Keith. He deserves a lot. He was constantly eye-contacting with us (while Mick is always far more detached in the way he entertain us), talking, commmunicating with his body, making - of course - his rockandroller poses. I did not see it coming but his set was my favourite part of the show. Bracing (Happy) and moving (Slipping). And he made me laugh when he ended in Italian with "Alla faccia di chi ci vuole male!". He's far from "off" in the sense that circulates in shit*y papers out there and unfortunately sometimes in here. He's and old man - oh did you noticed that? - but I founded him humorous and in good and focused spirits last night: good vibes. Thanks, man.

PS I tried not to use my cellphone that much but I posted some photos on my Instagram

Keith 1

Keith 2

Mick

Band 1

Band 2

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-30 17:59 by maumau.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: November 2, 2017 09:58

Beast
angee
Does anyone know what Keith's t shirt with the heart says or what it means? (Thanks.)

T heart A is what Theodora scrawled on a wall in Soho and was arrested for.

This shirt is now available from Keith's website. From the item description: "This is a graffiti designed by Theodora Richards and Keith loved it so much since it refers to the song “Little T & A” and to the sisterly love between his daughters Theodora and Alexandra."

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 2, 2017 10:47

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-02 11:00 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Date: November 2, 2017 13:05

Great shots! thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 3, 2017 18:22

Cristiano Radtke
Great pic from our friend zgubi:

[www.instagram.com]

This is very cool. This pic was not only retweeted by the Stones' Twitter account, but was also posted on their Exhibitionism' Instagram account (second pic). Congratulations, zgubi! smileys with beer

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 3, 2017 18:30

DandelionPowderman
Great shots! thumbs up

Yes! smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home