Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Darryl Jones should write a book
Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: October 26, 2017 13:17

...and I think that most of the people complaining about Daryl´s playing (and Chuck´s playing) never ever played in a rock´n´roll band and never will do.

Date: October 26, 2017 13:53

I think their different choice of bass-sound might be a source for discussion among fans as well.

Not hearing Bill's rubbery, bouncing sound was a little unusual at first, I must admit.

Like Chuck, Darryl goes for a «pretty», «correct» and «steady» approach in his playing, imo. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but the syncopated and «weaving in and out»-style of Bill's is very different to that.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 26, 2017 21:35

RockingLonestar
...and I think that most of the people complaining about Daryl´s playing (and Chuck´s playing) never ever played in a rock´n´roll band and never will do.

I can't tuna fish, but I know as much about music as any musician. I have ears. I also have the ability to pick out separate instruments and highlight in my own brain what they contribute. In other words I'm no school boy, but I know what I like.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 27, 2017 02:29

RockingLonestar
Bill was a good player. Daryl is a good player, too. But he plays different.
Both fit with the rest of the band. So give both respect.

Listen first to When The Whip Comes Down from Hampton 1981 and then to younger versions with Darryl (Fonda Theatre for example) and you may discover that it's Bill who makes the first one "swing", while on versions with Darryl, the bass may fit, but it's just functional, even perfunctory. Maybe you'll find out what the Stones sound lost when Bill left.

It's not without reason that after Bill's departure, the band left the door wide open for a possible return for years (and tours) to come. And it was not for Bill's showmanship!

Date: October 27, 2017 06:06

retired_dog
RockingLonestar
Bill was a good player. Daryl is a good player, too. But he plays different.
Both fit with the rest of the band. So give both respect.

Listen first to When The Whip Comes Down from Hampton 1981 and then to younger versions with Darryl (Fonda Theatre for example) and you may discover that it's Bill who makes the first one "swing", while on versions with Darryl, the bass may fit, but it's just functional, even perfunctory. Maybe you'll find out what the Stones sound lost when Bill left.

It's not without reason that after Bill's departure, the band left the door wide open for a possible return for years (and tours) to come. And it was not for Bill's showmanship!

smileys with beer Don't it always seem to go, that you don't what you got till it's gone....

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 27, 2017 06:50

He should write a book. If Bill Wyman can have multiple books, DJ should be able to do at least one. An NDA should be no obstacle for the Stones part. Who really needs to read more salacious gossip about the Stones? Classy people take the high road, and Darryl seems like an okay guy.

Date: October 28, 2017 01:45

marianna
He should write a book. If Bill Wyman can have multiple books, DJ should be able to do at least one. An NDA should be no obstacle for the Stones part. Who really needs to read more salacious gossip about the Stones? Classy people take the high road, and Darryl seems like an okay guy.

Oh, what a fascinating book that would be. The Stones, 1994, onward. DJ spends little time with them, except tours & extremely sporadic recording, half of which they don't even bother to call him for. 'Kidney Stones - the Middle Age Years'. Can't wait.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 29, 2017 04:25

It's not a competiton. Both are great bass players. And Darryl is very close to Keith. In his book LIFE, Keith Richards wrote this:

"Darryl, in my estimation is a giant, beautiful, an all-round man... And Darryl melted into the band real quick. I do enjoy playing with Darryl; he's always provoking me. We have tremendous fun onstage. You want to go there? Fine, let's go a little further. We know Charlie's got it nailed. Let's @#$%& around. Let's sling some hash! And Darryl's never let me down."

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 05:35

24FPS
marianna

Oh, what a fascinating book that would be. The Stones, 1994, onward. DJ spends little time with them, except tours & extremely sporadic recording, half of which they don't even bother to call him for. 'Kidney Stones - the Middle Age Years'. Can't wait.
Well look, any tales of debauchery from 1994-present will pale in comparison to the '60s and especially the '70s, but I'm sure a lot of crazy stuff still went down in that period that we're not aware of.

However, Darryl is not the right person to divulge those stories. As marianna said, he's too classy to do that even if he didn't have to sign an NDA prior to joining the team which, as I said earlier, I strongly suspect he has.

So, if you automatically discard anything related to that side of his experience with the Stones, is there enough left to tell about his musical experience with the group to fill a book, and would it be compelling enough to read? I'm honestly not sure.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 29, 2017 10:53

24FPS
marianna
He should write a book.

Oh, what a fascinating book that would be. The Stones, 1994, onward. DJ spends little time with them, except tours & extremely sporadic recording, half of which they don't even bother to call him for.

thumbs up While having spent more time in the band than BW DJ knows sh!t about the chemistry within the band. He's more like a roadie who has an "onstage" access.

Otoh Pierre de Beauport could write a juicy book but he certainly won't.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1358
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home