Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young stuff
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 10, 2021 14:48

crholmstrom
From shows I've seen in person & on tape, Neil & Micah seem to have that elusive special chemistry despite the age difference.

Yes the 2015 NY/POTR tour was the best thing Neil did since the 1991 "Ragged Glory" tour.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 10, 2021 15:50

Date: December 15, 2021 15:07

TODAY: @NeilYoung returns to the #SternShow! Hear his interview with @HowardStern
LIVE only on @SIRIUSXM
[siriusxm.us]

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 15, 2021 23:04

dcba
crholmstrom
From shows I've seen in person & on tape, Neil & Micah seem to have that elusive special chemistry despite the age difference.

Yes the 2015 NY/POTR tour was the best thing Neil did since the 1991 "Ragged Glory" tour.

Yeah the tour with POTR was brilliant. I caught 2 shows on the tour and there’s a was something special happening each night. I’ve seen a good few Neil gigs over the years and the Vancouver & Seattle gigs on the Rebel Content tour were amongst the best.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 15, 2021 23:20

Paddy
dcba
crholmstrom

Yeah the tour with POTR was brilliant. I caught 2 shows on the tour and there’s a was something special happening each night. I’ve seen a good few Neil gigs over the years and the Vancouver & Seattle gigs on the Rebel Content tour were amongst the best.

I got to see Neil with Pearl Jam as his backing band at the Reading Festival. That was a good weekend. Amongst the other highlights: Bjork, Guided by Voices circa Alien Lanes @ the tent stage & Foo Fighters first gig in England ever also @ the tent stage. Bodies were flying at that show! Most of the material was from the first Foo Fighters record, still Dave's best IMHO.

Date: December 16, 2021 00:17

crholmstrom
Paddy
dcba
crholmstrom

I got to see Neil with Pearl Jam as his backing band at the Reading Festival. That was a good weekend. Amongst the other highlights: Bjork, Guided by Voices circa Alien Lanes @ the tent stage & Foo Fighters first gig in England ever also @ the tent stage. Bodies were flying at that show! Most of the material was from the first Foo Fighters record, still Dave's best IMHO.

I saw one of those Mirrorball gigs, Dublin 95. It was a good show, but not as good as the Neil with Booker T & the MGs 2 years previously. (Pearl jam were one of the support acts that day they joined him for Rocking in the free world)
Neil and the horse played Dublin in 1996 and blew away the performance from a year before.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 16, 2021 09:27

Paddy
dcba
crholmstrom

I was also at both those shows (in the pit, no less). Seattle was one for the ages...bust outs, deep cuts, long intense jams, and a rare double encore. The show clocked in at just under 3 hours with no break. Amazing.

Vancouver was good, but compared to the night before, it left me wanting. It was great that he changed 5 or 6 songs in the set, but it lacked the intimacy of Wamu (the stage was higher and the pit was bigger in Van, not to mention the sound wasn't quite there - and I thought the Seattle crowd was hipper too). They just didn't seem as 'on', although there were definitely moments. Shorter show, as well.

I was at the last show of the tour at Desert Trip, and although it was 'only' 2 hours (opening for Paul McCartney, let that sink in...), it may have been their best show, period. Cowgirl in the Sand was epic, and was used (in edited form) in that 'Paradox' movie, Daryl made for Neil. Of all the acts that weekend, Neil played it the least safe, with long jams and unheard new songs.

I caught the 2 Paramount Theater shows in Seattle in 2019, and it seemed they needed to shake off the (ahem) rust some. Much shorter shows, and although still rockin', they seem like an afterthought, now.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 16, 2021 10:48

Great interview today on the Howard Stern show. Neil has such a huge musical history that Stern could only touch on so much of that. I will listen to this one again. Interesting story on the “Barn” as a recording studio (and where the latest album w/Crazy Horse was recorded) and its resurrection from its early days as a prior Wells Fargo stagecoach stopover. Here’s a bit more about the new album from this link:

[www.google.ca]

Date: December 16, 2021 23:56

mosthigh
Paddy
dcba
crholmstrom

I was also at both those shows (in the pit, no less). Seattle was one for the ages...bust outs, deep cuts, long intense jams, and a rare double encore. The show clocked in at just under 3 hours with no break. Amazing.

Vancouver was good, but compared to the night before, it left me wanting. It was great that he changed 5 or 6 songs in the set, but it lacked the intimacy of Wamu (the stage was higher and the pit was bigger in Van, not to mention the sound wasn't quite there - and I thought the Seattle crowd was hipper too). They just didn't seem as 'on', although there were definitely moments. Shorter show, as well.

I was at the last show of the tour at Desert Trip, and although it was 'only' 2 hours (opening for Paul McCartney, let that sink in...), it may have been their best show, period. Cowgirl in the Sand was epic, and was used (in edited form) in that 'Paradox' movie, Daryl made for Neil. Of all the acts that weekend, Neil played it the least safe, with long jams and unheard new songs.

I caught the 2 Paramount Theater shows in Seattle in 2019, and it seemed they needed to shake off the (ahem) rust some. Much shorter shows, and although still rockin', they seem like an afterthought, now.

When I bought the ticket for vancouver, the gig was originally supposed to be in the Queen Elizabeth theatre, it was moved to Rogers arena. It would have been better in the original venue. I thought the Seattle show was better also, but I put the Vancouver show not being as great in my mind down to travel the day of. I got back from Seattle and slept for 4 hours before going to Rogers arena that night.

Date: December 17, 2021 02:58

Clips from the Howard Stern interview, including the classic "More barn!" story.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2021 03:28

Geir Holmes musta sent Young
a copy of his Villa Nellcote Chronicles ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 17, 2021 03:46

I must say, I’ve always loved Neil Young, but…but… but I have to admit, his voice as he’s got older, has lost a fair bit of timbre and now just sounds…whiny.

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2021 03:55

Use ta buy every Young album ....
play 'em once maybe twice then shelve 'em ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2021 03:55

Thanks for the clips bye bye johnny, and thanks to Neil for continuously releasing new albums - inspiring to see his creative drive still thriving after all these years.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: December 17, 2021 05:46

bitusa2012
I must say, I’ve always loved Neil Young, but…but… but I have to admit, his voice as he’s got older, has lost a fair bit of timbre and now just sounds…whiny.

Agreed - sorry if I offend any Neil junkies, but the songs on the Barn seem like afterthought, especially the lyrics. I was at two of his solo shows at Carnegie Hall a few years back, though, and those were pure gold.

OT: Neil Young stuff
Date: January 20, 2022 20:00

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - A Band A Brotherhood A Barn (Official Documentary)

Date: January 25, 2022 17:20

Neil Young Demands Spotify Remove His Music Over ‘False Information About Vaccines’

“They can have [Joe] Rogan or Young,” Neil Young wrote in a letter to his manager and label. “Not both”

By Andy Greene
January 24, 2022

Neil Young and The Promise of the Real performing at British Summertime 2019, Hyde Park in London / KGC-138/STAR MAX/IPx/AP

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 25, 2022 18:19

No one will ever confuse Neil with a meatloaf. smileys with beer

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 25, 2022 20:58

I wonder what the language in his contract selling his music says about specifically how his music can be used after he dies. With Neil Young's uncompromising views, I'd imagine managing his music would be more of a task than someone who isn't as outspoken. For example, if Neil were dead, would the owners of his music wage this same war vs Spotify?

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: January 25, 2022 21:22

NashvilleBlues
I wonder what the language in his contract selling his music says about specifically how his music can be used after he dies. With Neil Young's uncompromising views, I'd imagine managing his music would be more of a task than someone who isn't as outspoken. For example, if Neil were dead, would the owners of his music wage this same war vs Spotify?

It depends on who that person is, what their worldview is, and how passionate they are about their beliefs. Hopefully it is someone as passionate as Neil. Very likely the rights to his music will be sold off to a large company and they will compromise the integrity of his music to the greatest extent possible.

Date: January 25, 2022 22:37

Even though it happened a few years before I became a music fanatic, the way Neil Young & Tom Petty fought against the record companies gave them a lot of credibility in the underground scene that exploded with Nirvana. They were punk in some of their attitudes.

Neil Young is a one off, we’ll never see his like again. Just a monster of output.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 25, 2022 23:00

Paddy
Even though it happened a few years before I became a music fanatic, the way Neil Young & Tom Petty fought against the record companies gave them a lot of credibility in the underground scene that exploded with Nirvana. They were punk in some of their attitudes.

Neil Young is a one off, we’ll never see his like again. Just a monster of output.

Yes. And when I saw Neil Young with Promise of the Real, he absolutely killed it. He wasn't going through the motions. He and Lukas Nelson were locked-in and feeding off of each other. The 25 minute Down By The River wasn't long enough. Hair-raising show. Purely electric.

Side note: He's no Neil Young, but Ty Segall is very prolific and great live.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 26, 2022 23:35

Spotify to take down Neil Young's music:

Wall Street Journal

Date: January 26, 2022 23:44

From Neil Young Archives:

1-26-22

SPOTIFY has recently become a very damaging force via its public misinformation and lies about COVID.

I first learned of this problem by reading that 200 plus doctors had joined forces, taking on the dangerous life-threatening COVID falsehoods found in SPOTIFY programming.

Most of the listeners hearing the unfactual, misleading and false COVID information on SPOTIFY are 24 years old, impressionable and easy to swing to the wrong side of the truth.

These young people believe SPOTIFY would never present grossly unfactual information. They unfortunately are wrong. I knew I had to try to point that out.

All my music is available on SPOTIFY, being sold to these young people, people who believe what they are hearing because it is on SPOTIFY, and people like me are supporting SPOTIFY by presenting my music there.

I realized I could not continue to support SPOTIFY’s life threatening misinformation to the music loving public.

Before I told my friends at Warner Bros about my desire to leave the SPOTIFY platform, I was reminded by my own legal forces that contractually I did not have the control of my music to do that. I announced I was leaving anyway, because I knew I was. I was prepared to do all I could and more just to make sure that happened.

I want to thank my truly great and supportive record company Warner Brothers – Reprise Records, for standing with me in my decision to pull all my music from Spotify. Thank You!

Spotify represents 60% of the streaming of my music to listeners around the world, almost every record I have ever released is available – my life’s music – a huge loss for my record company to absorb. Yet my friends at WARNER BROTHERS REPRISE stood with me, recognizing the threat the COVID misinformation on SPOTIFY posed to the world – particularly for our young people who think everything they hear on SPOTIFY is true. Unfortunately it is not.

Thank you WARNER BROTHERS for standing with me and taking the hit – losing 60% of my world wide streaming income in the name of Truth.

SPOTIFY has become the home of life threatening COVID misinformation. Lies being sold for money.

There is an upside for my listeners, people who may be listening to the 60 years of music I have made in my life so far. It is this: many other platforms, Amazon, Apple, and Qobuz, to name a few, present my music today in all its High-Resolution glory – the way it is intended to be heard, while unfortunately SPOTIFY continues to peddle the lowest quality in music reproduction. So much for art. But now that is in the past for me. Soon my music will live on in a better place.

I truly want to thank the many, many people who have reached out to me thanking me for taking this position – people who are health professionals on the front lines, people who have lost loved ones to COVID or who are worried for their own children and families. I have never felt so much love coming from so many.

I sincerely hope that other artists and record companies will move off the SPOTIFY platform and stop supporting SPOTIFY’s deadly misinformation about COVID.

In the name of Truth.

neil young

[neilyoungarchives.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-26 23:53 by bye bye johnny.

Date: January 27, 2022 01:28

Never change Uncle Neil.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 27, 2022 01:57

I remember when Spotify became a thing 10 years ago. I didn't get it then, and I still don't really get it now. I thought it was a terrible name and just figured, why would artists go for this when this essentially seemed like a legal way to listen to music for free, which had never really been the case before. You could steal it which was illegal, or you could preview it on iTunes or Amazon. I guess everything was on YouTube, but this was high quality recordings, seemingly condoned by the artists, for free. Whether Neil is right or not doesn't really concern me, but I'm honestly shocked more artists haven't spoke out against Spotify in the past. I know I think Taylor Swift did saying artists get paid nothing for it, but everything's still on there. Even if he's wrong, even if he's an old dinosaur, I applaud that unlike most others he'll at least stand up for what he wants.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 27, 2022 08:06

Please do NOT discuss Joe Rogan here. I have made a comment about it on the corona virus thread. I do NOT want covid-19 discussions all over IORR.

Bjornulf

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 27, 2022 10:21

Neil just has yet another new (old) album out: Summer Songs

[www.nme.com]

He puts them out quicker than I can check them out ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 27, 2022 19:33

This thread has been closed due to far too many political posts. If you have a comment on Neil Young and his music, then please send an e-mail to the moderator, and this thread may be reopened.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 28, 2022 03:24

doitywoik
Neil just has yet another new (old) album out: Summer Songs

[www.nme.com]

He puts them out quicker than I can check them out ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Thanks for the heads up doitywoik - another 'NEW' Neil album!eye popping smileysmileys with beer

Digging deep through the endless treasure trove of hidden gems in the archives.
What a treat to listen to, and the next thing you know...in the blink of an eye...another new Neil album will be released!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home