Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young stuff
Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: March 21, 2022 23:35

Also
Legal smoking smiley out here on the Best Coast cool smiley[/quote]

thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 22, 2022 12:37

Hairball
Probably just a matter time before he gets the itch to get back on the road, but he sounds quite adamant about his stance, and in a way it's quite noble - a bit stubborn maybe, but he's always done things his way.
While it seems the pandemic is easing up, there's now reports in increases in cases and deaths in even the most vaccinated countries in the world. Can't let the guard down fully just yet, and gotta keep up hope.thumbs up

In the meantime, an interesting article from FaroutMagazineUK.

The two artists Neil Young said were "way beyond" everybody else

Neil

Neil Young might have a modern-day reputation of being a bit of a prickly idealist, but the truth is that Young is as giving and generous as an artist can be. As the appointed “Godfather of Grunge”, Young personally helped Pearl Jam make it out of their lowest point by recruiting the group as his backing band for the Mirror Ball album. Similarly, Young might enjoy dalliances with other groups, but he’s beyond loyal to his original band, Crazy Horse. He’s one of the rare figures who holds his personal morals and relationships with those he cares about above any monetary incentives.

He’s also badass enough to lead tributes to Jimi Hendrix and jam on stage with Led Zeppelin on separate occasions. Whether it’s strumming out heartbreaking acoustic songs or lighting up on fiery electric hard rock tunes, Young always delivers the goods. That’s why he’s the perfect figure to lead the charge against Spotify: few figures in music history are as respected or revered as Young, and he often is looked to for leadership.

But who does Young look to for inspiration? Musically, he’s an amalgamation of influences and genres: folk, garage rock, psychedelic rock, and even jazz would filter through his compositions. In order to connect with Young, an artist has to be at the very top of their game. So it’s no surprise which two artists Young pointed to in a 1979 Rolling Stone interview with Cameron Crowe.

“I never forgot that every time a new Beatles or Dylan album came out, you knew they were way beyond it,” Young recalled. “They were always doing something else, always moving down the line.” That constant forward motion has served Young well: he’s never made the same album twice, and he’s been unafraid to lean into genres that weren’t necessarily in his wheelhouse. It’s not hard to see how The Beatles and Bob Dylan would be catalysts for that.

In an earlier 1975 Rolling Stone interview with Crowe, Young recalled that The Beatles were the band that originally got him motivated to get on stage and sing. “I remember singing Beatles tunes … the first song I ever sang in front of people was ‘It Won’t Be Long’, and then Money (That’s What I Want),” Young recalled. “That was in Calvin High School [Winnipeg] cafeteria. My big moment.”

Young would pay tribute to his two major influences by covering their work on stage: there was the time that Young famously covered ‘Blowin’ in the Wind’ on his 1991 live album Weld. Young also has taken on ‘A Day in the Life’ as a set closer for some of his most recent tours, even sharing the stage with Paul McCartney on a few different occasions.

From Hyde Park, 2009:

Great post and great clip ! For me Bob Dylan , Neil Young , and Bruce Springsteen are in a pantheon of great songwriters and great story tellers . It's one thing to come up with a riff on a guitar or instrument , and then it's a whole other world to paint a landscape and tell a wonderful story at the same time that stands the test of time and is known and remembered by multiple generations . This is exactly what comes to mind for me when I think of these 3 great artists !

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 22, 2022 15:52

MisterDDDD
northof49
MisterDDDD
VoodooLounge13
I've got 44 down myself. Almost there. Utah, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Alaska, and Hawaii are the only ones left.

Depending on where your starting from.. fairly easy to hit most of these on one (extended) road trip.

Utah to Idaho, then east to Oregon, up to Washington where you can take a state ferry to Alaska!
Fly to Hawaii from there or Washington winking smiley

One VERY extended road trip, Oregon being WEST of Idaho. Better bring lots of gas money on your road tripsmiling bouncing smiley

Lol.. yes.

Also
Legal smoking smiley out here on the Best Coast cool smiley

Legal here on the East Coast too - NY, CT, MA, and I believe now NJ as well.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: March 23, 2022 19:41

I figure I hit about 45 states. some deep south ones never been in. In my MUCH younger crazy wild days hitchhiked from nj to Laguna Beach Ca. then up to vancouver. Was going to keep going to alaska but canadians luckily talked me out of it. alaska hwy. much too barren. was gone for months. Have been around alot too since then.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 23, 2022 19:45

Now that IS a crazy tale! Reminds me of Into The Wild!!

Date: March 24, 2022 19:13

Oh yeah- 1st time seen Neil was 69 with csn at woodstock. then june of 70 at fillmore east-right before my little road trip. quite a few after that.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 25, 2022 01:29

mrjones
Oh yeah- 1st time seen Neil was 69 with csn at woodstock. then june of 70 at fillmore east-right before my little road trip. quite a few after that.

You saw one of those gigs at the Fillmore in 1970???
Lucky Bastard.
I’m sure you know one of the nights was released as part of the Archive series. It’s probably my favourite live Neil set

Date: March 25, 2022 02:34

Paddy
mrjones

Lucky Bastard.
I’m sure you know one of the nights was released as part of the Archive series. It’s probably my favourite live Neil set
Yes I know. It was a great show! used to love the fillmore. not an easy ticket at all back in the day. saw a few shows there-Hendrix-J.Winter and-clapton etc. they used to have 11p.m. shows too with opening acts-you would literaly leave into the daylight at times!

Date: March 25, 2022 03:35

mrjones
Paddy
mrjones

Lucky Bastard.
Yes I know. It was a great show! used to love the fillmore. not an easy ticket at all back in the day. saw a few shows there-Hendrix-J.Winter and-clapton etc. they used to have 11p.m. shows too with opening acts-you would literaly leave into the daylight at times!

That’s a great list of names to have caught live. What was the sound in the actual room like? I’ve heard various recordings from there and even some of the audience boots sound good.

Date: March 25, 2022 05:08

acoustics great there-number of lps recorded there-hendrix & gypsies blew my ears out new years eve!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 25, 2022 08:31

Paddy
mrjones
Paddy
mrjones

Lucky Bastard.

That’s a great list of names to have caught live. What was the sound in the actual room like? I’ve heard various recordings from there and even some of the audience boots sound good.

The Fillmore is one of the special venues in this world. Magic has happened in that room and any trip to SF for a music fan needs to include a show there. I have recorded dozens of shows there and it sounds real good in the right spot.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 25, 2022 18:49

Volume 5 of the Official Bootleg Series announced:

CD - May 6
Vinyl - June 3

[neilyoungarchives.com]

[neilyoung.warnerrecords.com]

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: March 25, 2022 21:32

The NYA are amazing, I love them!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 14, 2022 13:33

Interesting quote from an interview with Graham Nash in which he seems to suggest that he may be the only member of CSNY who will ever tour again.

"I've realized one very simple thing," Nash says. "Crosby's not going to go out anymore, I don't believe. I think he's done. I think Stephen is not going out any time soon, and who the hell knows what Neil is doing – not even Neil, probably. So if people want to hear any of that music, there's only one place they can hear it right now: That's me. There's been a tremendous amount of music made in the last 50 years by a combination of me and David and Stephen and Neil. I want to keep all that alive. There's no reason for any of that music to disappear just because the people who made it are dying or don't play anymore."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2022 00:09

tatters
Interesting quote from an interview with Graham Nash in which he seems to suggest that he may be the only member of CSNY who will ever tour again.

"I've realized one very simple thing," Nash says. "Crosby's not going to go out anymore, I don't believe. I think he's done. I think Stephen is not going out any time soon, and who the hell knows what Neil is doing – not even Neil, probably. So if people want to hear any of that music, there's only one place they can hear it right now: That's me. There's been a tremendous amount of music made in the last 50 years by a combination of me and David and Stephen and Neil. I want to keep all that alive. There's no reason for any of that music to disappear just because the people who made it are dying or don't play anymore."

Neil has never said or even suggested he won't ever tour or play live again - in fact he said he looks forward to it when the coast is clear. Stills and Crosby? Who knows.
I've always admired and appreciated Graham Nash and his music going all the way back to the Hollies, but that all sounds like nothing more than a scheme to sell more tickets.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 15, 2022 02:40

Hairball
tatters

Neil has never said or even suggested he won't ever tour or play live again - in fact he said he looks forward to it when the coast is clear. Stills and Crosby? Who knows.
I've always admired and appreciated Graham Nash and his music going all the way back to the Hollies, but that all sounds like nothing more than a scheme to sell more tickets.

It's definitely a bit of shameless self-promotion on Nash's part, but I do find it a little strange that while the coast still isn't clear for Neil, it has been clear for everyone else for quite a while now. Who else besides Neil is still steadfastly refusing to tour because of covid? I'm sure there is someone like that, but I honestly can't think of who that would be. Until proven otherwise, I'm inclined to believe that he has other, undisclosed reasons for not wanting or being able to tour, and is just using covid as a convenient excuse.

It's also kind of interesting that Nash has taken it upon himself to perform almost as a kind of one-man CSNY on his recent solo tour. Setlists typically included no less than three songs written by Stills (Love the One Your With, 4 + 20, and Find the Cost of Freedom), and at at least one show, three songs written by Neil (Only Love Can Break Your Heart, Ohio, and Country Girl). He dipped into the Crosby-Nash catalog, too, but notably avoided playing anything written by David.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-15 02:47 by tatters.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 15, 2022 02:47

tatters
Who else besides Neil is still steadfastly refusing to tour because of covid? I'm sure there is someone like that, but I honestly can't think of who that would be.

Springsteen effectively wrote off 2022 a few months ago, although a couple of recent quotes suggest he may be re-evaluating that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-15 02:47 by Gazza.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 15, 2022 03:19

tatters
Hairball
tatters

It's definitely a bit of shameless self-promotion on Nash's part, but I do find it a little strange that while the coast still isn't clear for Neil, it has been clear for everyone else for quite a while now. Who else besides Neil is still steadfastly refusing to tour because of covid? I'm sure there is someone like that, but I honestly can't think of who that would be. Until proven otherwise, I'm inclined to believe that he has other, undisclosed reasons for not wanting or being able to tour, and is just using covid as a convenient excuse.

It's also kind of interesting that Nash has taken it upon himself to perform almost as a kind of one-man CSNY on his recent solo tour. Setlists typically included no less than three songs written by Stills (Love the One Your With, 4 + 20, and Find the Cost of Freedom), and at at least one show, three songs written by Neil (Only Love Can Break Your Heart, Ohio, and Country Girl). He dipped into the Crosby-Nash catalog, too, but notably avoided playing anything written by David.

[www.youtube.com]

Honestly, thats a really interesting statement from Nash. I feel like he's usually been pretty level headed but that is so blatantly self promotion that its funny. First off, he doesn't speak to Crosby and its Nash keeping that feud alive, so how would he know in any way what Crosby plans to do? Crosby was on the road because he had to be, so if he's capable to I'm sure he will. Second, I did look at the sets and it looks great but at that point, I'd rather see CSN doing it not just Nash. This set would be fine if it wasn't actively Nash keeping that from happening. Nash is the one who won't tour with Crosby, so I have no idea what Stephen is doing, but I'd rather see CSN or even Crosby and Nash do this rather just Nash, and both of those options seem like they would be possible if Nash got over stuff. Thirdly, his statement about needing to keep the music alive is pretty laughable. I agree the music should be kept alive but Nash is in his 70s now, as are his crowds for the most part. Does he think he's drawing many new people? I'm in my 30s, but I would be the minority in my age range going, and I would only be going cause I know and love him already. I could understand in the 90s or 2000s he wants parents to bring their kids to keep the music alive, but at this point they either have or they haven't. Him touring or not touring at this point isn't going to help keep it alive anymore than it already is.

Having said all that, I didn't realize what his set was this tour and I'd see him in a heartbeat if he was near my town lol.

Date: April 15, 2022 04:35

The obligatory sound bite to promote a tour.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 15, 2022 13:07

The 1974 Citizen Kane show is awesome. If you like on the beach then this one is for you.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: April 15, 2022 13:34

Whale
The 1974 Citizen Kane show is awesome. If you like on the beach then this one is for you.

I hope they leave the 'honey slides' and the Southern Man rap on this release.

Date: May 28, 2022 01:24

News from Neil Young Archives:

TOAST

For the past two decades, Toast has been whispered about in collectors’ circles in hushed tones, as Young has dropped pieces of information about it here and there, especially as it contains three never-before-released songs. Last year, in his online daily newspaper, The Times Contrarian, Young wrote about the album in-depth. “The music of Toast is about a relationship,” he said. “There is a time in many relationships that go bad, a time long before the breakup, where it dawns on one of the people, maybe both, that it's over. This was that time.” Aptly, Toast is heavy and distressed, brimming with electrifying tension. Even its sweet-sounding opening track, “Quit,” features the refrain, “Don’t say you love me.” “Standing In The Light of Love” and “Goin’ Home” let the Horse off the tether in fields of overdriven guitar; an out-of-work logger grapples with his faith on the breakneck “Timberline;” and on “Gateway of Love,” Young dreams of a less painful future over a hypnotizing 10 minutes, leading into the somber, brokedown “How Ya Doin’?” The songwriter sums up the album best during its shadowy finale “Boom Boom Boom”: “All I got is a broken heart, and I don’t try to hide it when I play my guitar.”

Standing in the Light of Love

Neil Young Archives

Posted by: Dbs1972 ()
Date: May 28, 2022 04:29

Neil Young was untouchable 1969-1980, and I will pay whatever to get new releases and boots from that period. After Hawks and Doves, forget it. He crashed in the ditch and burned in my opinion.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 28, 2022 08:24

Dbs1972
Neil Young was untouchable 1969-1980, and I will pay whatever to get new releases and boots from that period. After Hawks and Doves, forget it. He crashed in the ditch and burned in my opinion.
He's not nearly as consistent as that initial decade, but 1. he put out enough in that decade between solo, Buffalo Springfield, CSNY to last a career. Seriously, he was a well of songs and unfuckingstoppable, and 2. he still had some huge highs after 1980. Freedom and Ragged Glory are pretty good, and at least make one great album. Harvest Moon is as good as his 70s stuff. Mirror Ball with Pearl Jam is underrated. Living With War was a pretty solid album, Le Noise I think is excellent. He's still got it and he's done a lot out of his studio stuff since 1980 that is fantastic. He has his low periods but I'd never say he crashed and burned in his career.

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: May 28, 2022 18:11

Encouraging that Toast actually has a release date and active preorders. Was worried that would end up going the way of Johnnys Garden which clearly did not come out last year like Neil said.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 30, 2022 04:13

Whenever there is a new posting in this thread I'm thinking, Neil is putting out another album! --- And here we go! grinning smiley

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 30, 2022 04:29

Neil is a bit of a twat, no doubt about it.... However, all the great music he has made allows you to forgive him that. A bit like Bruce..... Sure Springsteens fake blue collar "man of the people" persona gets tiresome, and his constant arse kissing of politicians grates on the nerves, but what about that last album though. A man of his age who is that deep into his career has no right to make something that good. Brilliant.

Posted by: Dbs1972 ()
Date: May 30, 2022 05:52

Fair assessment. I guess I just lost my connection with him after a series of extremely disappointing LPs in the 1980s… fortunately he’s been great about giving the fans lots of top notch live material from the 1970s.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 24, 2022 20:41

"Noise & Flowers", a live album and concert film recorded during the 2019 European tour is out August 5

Pre-order: [neilyoung.warnerrecords.com]

[neilyoungarchives.com]

Date: June 26, 2022 10:18

Official Music Video for Neil Young's "From Hank To Hendrix" From 'Noise & Flowers'

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home