Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950Next
Current Page: 45 of 50
Re: OT: Neil Young stuff
Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: July 14, 2023 22:35

Paddy
I wonder if after this run of solo dates he will head out with POTR like he did in 2019. Didn’t Micah mention something about “maybe going out Neil” a while back in some interview?

It's totally possible. He did solo shows, + Promise of the Real shows, and a couple Crazy Horse shows that year.

He might do shows with Promise of the Real in the fall or shows with Crazy Horse once the Bruce tour is done. Or nothing at all, but hopefully he's enjoying being back on the road.

Date: July 21, 2023 21:51

I went to the Auburn show last night... I'm lucky I made it there and back to Vancouver. Something happened and the battery to my car disconnected on the I5, middle lane, rush hour traffic, 20 miles North of Seattle. What a nightmare. So many people drove by screaming and cursing at me. "You can't fuc**** park here!".... ya don't say? Anyway, between me and my brother we were able to get the vehicle moving, make it to the show and back.

I hadn't been to the White River Amphitheatre in 18 years and I was nervous with how late we were arriving, given the parking situation. We were directed to the parking at the back and could see there was an exit near where we were parked, so we were hopefully.

Venue was very quiet and peaceful. Lineups for merchandise had maybe 10 people in them, as the opener was going on stage.

They didn't sell tickets in the grass area and the upper seated section sold about 50-60%, so I was feeling okay that we likely wouldn't get trapped in the parking lot for 3 hours after the show.

Neil was fantastic. Crowd was really into it, despite deep-cuts nature of the tour. Then when Neil would play a rare hit "Heart of Gold" or "Ohio" the crowd would become a thunder storm. Neil's voice was sounding good and his dexterity for guitar and piano were top-notch. He was in good humour, wandering around the stage, making jokes and talking about his instruments.

Highlights for me were "Birds", "Vampire Blues", "Comes A Time", "A Dream That Can Last", "I'm The Ocean", and "If You Got Love"

We got out of the parking lot in about 5-10 min tops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-21 21:51 by BeastyBurdeny.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 21, 2023 22:32

BeastyBurdeny
Neil was fantastic. Crowd was really into it, despite deep-cuts nature of the tour. Then when Neil would play a rare hit "Heart of Gold" or "Ohio" the crowd would become a thunder storm.
This sounds very similar to how I saw him a few years ago, despite the fact that it wasn't deep cuts. I'd say they were old standbys, so not Heart Of Gold, but your "Only Love Will Break My Heart", "The Loner", etc, that was just a joy to hear back to back to back. But after 40 minutes of sitting there switching up acoustic guitars and songs, he then just picks up an electric and launches into Ohio. The way you said it was perfect, it was a thunderstorm of a reaction. I'd really never heard anything like its, and its something only someone like Neil can conjure. It was beautiful and not that I thought he couldn't, but I'm glad to hear he can still do that to a crowd.

These look like great shows. If I was on the west coast, I'd definitely have tried. Gotta love these guys while we still can. I mean, @#$%&, he's out there doing Vampire Blues at 77 years old, what's cooler than that?!

Sorry for all your troubles getting there, but glad it all paid off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-21 22:34 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 22, 2023 00:41

From Neil Young Archives/Warner Records:

ANNOUNCING THE VINYL EDITION OF ODEON BUDOKAN
PRODUCED BY DAVID BRIGGS
RECORDED IN 1976 IN LONDON AND TOKYO
AVAILABLE ON SEPTEMBER 1ST VIA REPRISE RECORDS

NEIL

Originally recorded in 1976 almost a world apart at two overseas venues: Hammersmith Odeon in London and Nippon Budokan Hall In Tokyo. The ten-track album includes an electrifying range of songs, from well-known classics to true surprises. Tracks on Side 1 were recorded in London March 31, 1976, and feature Neil Young’s solo set on guitar and piano from the first half of the concert. Side 2 tracks were recorded two weeks earlier on March 11, 1976, with Young and Crazy Horse at an early electric apex.

This is the first official vinyl release of the previously unissued ODEON BUDOKAN. It has only been available on Compact Disc as part of Neil Young’s ARCHIVES VOLUME II box set, released in 2020 in the highest-grade audio high fidelity. Young’s songs like "Cowgirl In the Sand," "Cortez the Killer," "Lotta Love," "Stringman" and others are heard at their absolute highest peak.
This album was produced by David Briggs shortly after the 1976 tour. It was put on hold because of other albums that were being made and released at the time.
Odeon Budokan Tracklist:

Side 1:
1. "The Old Laughing Lady"
2. "After The Gold Rush"
3. "Too Far Gone"
4. "Old Man"
5. "Stringman"

Side 2:
1. "Don’t Cry No Tears"
2. "Cowgirl In The Sand"
3. "Lotta Love"
4. "Drive Back"
5. "Cortez The Killer"

Pre-order here

Date: July 22, 2023 01:30

RollingFreak
BeastyBurdeny
Neil was fantastic. Crowd was really into it, despite deep-cuts nature of the tour. Then when Neil would play a rare hit "Heart of Gold" or "Ohio" the crowd would become a thunder storm.
This sounds very similar to how I saw him a few years ago, despite the fact that it wasn't deep cuts. I'd say they were old standbys, so not Heart Of Gold, but your "Only Love Will Break My Heart", "The Loner", etc, that was just a joy to hear back to back to back. But after 40 minutes of sitting there switching up acoustic guitars and songs, he then just picks up an electric and launches into Ohio. The way you said it was perfect, it was a thunderstorm of a reaction. I'd really never heard anything like its, and its something only someone like Neil can conjure. It was beautiful and not that I thought he couldn't, but I'm glad to hear he can still do that to a crowd.

These look like great shows. If I was on the west coast, I'd definitely have tried. Gotta love these guys while we still can. I mean, @#$%&, he's out there doing Vampire Blues at 77 years old, what's cooler than that?!

Sorry for all your troubles getting there, but glad it all paid off.

I'm glad you had a similar experience (sans the car problems). And thank you for the kind words about it paying off.

He really does put on a special show. I took my girlfriend who had never seen Neil before and she only knows the 'hits'. She's been messaging me all day about how much she loved the show and what a badass Neil is. She's not the type to want to see a band more than once, but now she wants to see him again. I'm glad, because I was nervous the show might be a bit of a blur for her. I think it goes to show that an audience will always appreciate a good artist, even if they aren't playing the greatest hits.

I get the impression that he's shaking off the dust from the pandemic and getting the performing bug back in him, or at least I hope. I could see him doing another tour later this year with Promise of the Real or early next year with the Horse smileys with beer

Date: July 22, 2023 01:37

Good stuff BeastyBurdeny - aside from the car problems of course!

Date: July 22, 2023 09:30

Hairball
Good stuff BeastyBurdeny - aside from the car problems of course!

Thanks, Hairball! I've got you in mind when I'm wishing for some Horse or Promise of the Real next year smileys with beer

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 23, 2023 18:15

Thanks for your review of the show, BeastyBurdeny, so glad you and also your friend enjoyed it.

Car stalling in traffic, what a nightmare, eek...pulling out of that, a great thing.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 23, 2023 19:28

Going to the show in Nap tonight and very psyched!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 25, 2023 04:15

Saw Neil last night in Napa. Musically he was great but his rambling between songs was a bit concerning. He seem a bit confused and sounded as coherent as Bob Weir. I hope I am wrong.

Date: July 25, 2023 04:35

daspyknows
Saw Neil last night in Napa. Musically he was great but his rambling between songs was a bit concerning. He seem a bit confused and sounded as coherent as Bob Weir. I hope I am wrong.

Uh-oh, I didn't notice that in Auburn. He was mostly talking about the origin of his instruments between songs. Hopefully he's doing OK.

And HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD TIME AT THE SHOW smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-25 04:36 by BeastyBurdeny.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: July 25, 2023 07:34

I sampled a few boots from this tour, and the banter is mostly the same show-to-show.

I got a little tired of it when I saw him. If you cut the talking from the Berkeley recording, there's only 80 minutes of music.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 28, 2023 15:41

Seems like "Ragged Glory - Smell the Horse" is now finally released - at least digitally:
[www.qobuz.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 28, 2023 18:00

doitywoik
Seems like "Ragged Glory - Smell the Horse" is now finally released - at least digitally:
[www.qobuz.com]

Holy grail time. I saw a few dates on the tour with Sonic Youth. It was epic!

Date: July 28, 2023 20:20

doitywoik
[www.qobuz.com]

According to NYA it's coming out on cd, too. Don't know about vinyl.

Date: July 28, 2023 20:35

I'll be waiting for the CDs. No need for super-HiRes (qobuz) or mp3 (Amazon). (Haven't checked other portals, though.)

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: August 22, 2023 16:39

Hi,

Just curious how you knew Farm Aid was going to be in Noblesville? I read that here on IORR some months ago and decided to book a flight and hotel (both fully refundable) on the chance this was correct. It was correct so I wanted to give props. I am a photographer and this will be my third time shooting a Farm Aid show.

Thanks!

-Chris

Date: August 22, 2023 18:37

sorry-I meant to direct this to Dougratajczak87 regarding his April 24 post.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 23, 2023 06:18

Time to spook us with the Horse Neil!

Date: August 25, 2023 03:19

Registered for Neil Young + Crazy Horse at the Roxy but didn't get picked to purchase tickets. Anyone get lucky? Don't worry, not fishing for a spare ticket--just curious if anyone is going.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 25, 2023 03:34

BeastyBurdeny
Registered for Neil Young + Crazy Horse at the Roxy but didn't get picked to purchase tickets. Anyone get lucky? Don't worry, not fishing for a spare ticket--just curious if anyone is going.

I didn't bother once I saw the prices but I might go down there with a few hundred anyway and see what happens.

Date: August 25, 2023 03:35

Yeah...$1,000 per ticket...proceeds are going to a good cause, but.............no can do...

Date: August 25, 2023 06:18

Pretty tough pill to swallow, at a thousand + a ticket. Service fees will be 200-300 per ticket too. Was hoping they'd be $500 tops, but the demand would be even higher at that price. Anyway, hope someone gets some good recordings/videos

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 25, 2023 21:07

BeastyBurdeny
Pretty tough pill to swallow, at a thousand + a ticket. Service fees will be 200-300 per ticket too. Was hoping they'd be $500 tops, but the demand would be even higher at that price. Anyway, hope someone gets some good recordings/videos

I wouldn't be surprised if a much smaller allotment actually went on sale as I am not sure if there are even 900 people ready to spend $1000 plus each which is why I think it might be worth a shot.

Date: August 30, 2023 00:38

Micah Nelson is going to fill in for Nils Lofgren at the Roxy shows & possibly more. It looks like Springsteen is going to tour summer of 2024. The recent postponed Bruce shows in Philly have been rescheduled for next summer.

[www.jambase.com]

Date: August 30, 2023 00:58

I was wondering what was going to happen with Nils, hopefully Neil Young + Crazy Horse feel inclined to tour this fall/winter with Micah

Date: August 30, 2023 03:46

daspyknows

They share the same passion...

Date: August 30, 2023 04:05

crholmstrom
Micah Nelson is going to fill in for Nils Lofgren at the Roxy shows & possibly more. It looks like Springsteen is going to tour summer of 2024. The recent postponed Bruce shows in Philly have been rescheduled for next summer.

[www.jambase.com]

Wouldn't be surprised if Neil and Crazy Horse (with Micah) release a new album soon ...maybe even before the Roxy shows!smiling smiley
And I imagine these Roxy shows will be outstanding on so many levels. I saw Mick Taylor and the Bluesbreakers reunion there in 1982 - I was practically on the stage itself - it's such a small club.
Looking forward to even more shows beyond these for a Neil/Crazy Horse tour -bring in the young fresh blood to energize, invigorate, and inspire all the old timers, and let it rip!

Date: August 31, 2023 05:41

I wonder who Neil will play with at Farm Aid…just a few days after the Roxy shows. Micah will be at Farm Aid as will Lucas. I would think he Neil would promote Crazy Horae if they were playing Farm Aid……but you never know. Neil could play Farm Aid solo, w/ CH or POTR.

Date: September 1, 2023 23:37

Never heard a bad version of Cortez the Killer, but this newly released version from from Budokan, 1976 has an extra layer of thought-provoking intensity.
It's like hearing it new again for the first time...chilling storytelling amidst the calm atmosphere interlaced with an orchestra of electric guitars and wailing feedback...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950Next
Current Page: 45 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home