Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20
Re: Amsterdam The Netherlands 30-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Date: October 3, 2017 15:08

De Staat was a weird band, Somewhere between Talking Heads and Status Quo, with waaaay too much synthesisers grinning smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 3, 2017 15:17

DandelionPowderman
De Staat was a weird band, Somewhere between Talking Heads and Status Quo, with waaaay too much synthesisers grinning smiley

It was kind of touching that the lead singer, who sensed he was at the wrong party,
said half way through the show something like: "anyway we will try to enjoy the moment".
I feel sympathy for them, cause probably they are a good band in their own segment.
It's just that their music is way different than the music Stones fans (like me) like.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 3, 2017 16:15

Well, assuming that support band in Lucca was more 'comfortable' sounding: that band was blatantly boring and unoriginal to my ears & imo.

I for one feel very much at ease when confronted with unexpectedness; like hearing a band that sounds (slightly or hugely) different than the other acts/ main act.
I don't need nor want everything to be up the same predictable street. (and I don't really mind a couple of synthesiers... as long as they're not sounding all the same ànd predictable. smiling bouncing smiley )

Having said that: I liked The Staat quite a lot. True, I had to re-adjust my hearing a bit during the first 2 songs; but they grew on me quite rapidly. They even put on quite a good show!
(You can really leave that into the hands of the Dutch; being self-confident and all that... smoking smiley )
I had never heard of them before, so I really didn't know their work; but I think, towards the end, they foremost played numbers with emphasis on funky grit & good R'n'R beats -
the kinda stuff that can be assumed to be be right up the alley of each and every Stones fan.

In hindsight, to me at least, trhey were not t the wrong party at all. In fact: they'd be welcome at alomost any one of mine! Well, for a couple of tracks anyway. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
P.S.: I think the analogy with Talking Heads is very well spotted.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to Leon Bridges -
thàt 's gonna be something we'll ALL agree upon, I reckon.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 16:43

Well, music is highly subjective of course. The fact that they were "different" wouldn't bother me as such, but the problem I had with them is, that I felt really a lot of negative energy in the music. There are very few opening acts that I have really enjoyed (but there were such, of course), most of them leave me somehow indifferent. This was the first time I felt really bad, angry, aggressive. And I didn't like that one bit. Sure, that was me, someone else might have a completely different experience. I saw some people around me really having fun. Not many of them, but still. Good for them. It just really wasn’t for me.

Date: October 3, 2017 16:57

Happy24
Well, music is highly subjective of course. The fact that they were "different" wouldn't bother me as such, but the problem I had with them is, that I felt really a lot of negative energy in the music. There are very few opening acts that I have really enjoyed (but there were such, of course), most of them leave me somehow indifferent. This was the first time I felt really bad, angry, aggressive. And I didn't like that one bit. Sure, that was me, someone else might have a completely different experience. I saw some people around me really having fun. Not many of them, but still. Good for them. It just really wasn’t for me.

Yeah... I hear ya. Sorry you felt that way! But I understand... I can imagine that (kind of) band sometimes come(-s) in at the wrong 'key', so to speak - and is (are) hard to take in.

Better luck next time!

Date: October 3, 2017 17:01

Being provoked might be better than feeling indifferent, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 17:05

DandelionPowderman
Being provoked might be better than feeling indifferent, though smiling smiley

I can not argue with that. I admit, that I have played 2 of their songs on YouTube today out of curiosity. Still don't like them, but yeah...you are absolutely right smiling smiley

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: October 3, 2017 17:16

Just spent a wonderful 3 days in Barcelona and 3 in Amsterdam. Bought Barcelona ticket from Too Tight and then we hung out for most of the rest of the time. We had both previously seen The Stones 20 times which was a coincidence. He will now take the lead tonight as he is in Copenhagen, and I'm back home in Scotland. sad smiley. I do however have The Pretenders tonight in Edinburgh to cheer me up. First time to see them.

Special mention to the Irish lads we spent the evening with in the Waterhole (tribute band were superb). And to all the other lovely people we met.

I loved both shows for different reasons. In terms of weather and the general pre-gig atmosphere, Barcelona was fantastic. I had a bit more to drink than I intended but the party feeling outside at the bars made it hard not to! About half way back on the pitch, it was a case of watching the screen. The sound was good and it was a treat to hear Under My Thumb (the very first Stones song I heard live in Edinburgh Playhouse 82). Loved the crowd singing Ole Ole Ole Ole Richards Richards/Rolling Rolling before Keef's set and then at the end. The crowd chanting the Satisfaction riff on way out too.

Re Amsterdam, I was in the pit on Keef's side. The sheer Nearness of You factor comes into play. It just adds to the excitement, plus hearing the riffs coming directly from the stage rather than the PA makes it special. As mentioned previously, band interaction was great to watch, and I had huge smile on my face for most of the time. Apart from when Shine a Light and Slipping Away were played, and tears of joy/emotion ran down my face.

I can't help but to dance, sing, cheer and holler at Stones gigs. Took a few phone photos but nothing like the amount of time other folks spent with phones aloft. Thankfully the people directly around me got into the dancing/grooving/getting into it vibe, and it made for a happy, sweaty bunch of Stoners. A few feet behind me there were some guys standing like statues, not even tapping a toe. Don't know how they do it! A top tip to other Scottish Stones fans who own a kilt - wear it to the gigs like I did. It's nice to get a bit of ventilation when things get really hot! It's also a surefire to strike a up conversations before/after/during the gig.

Re YGMR, I was surprised to hear but LOVED it. In a perfect world, I would have got Dancing With Mr D at one or the other of these shows but you can't have it all I suppose. 6 great days, 2 great gigs, and in Too Tight (Kevin) one great companion!!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 17:55

HonkyTonkJan
Just spent a wonderful 3 days in Barcelona and 3 in Amsterdam. Bought Barcelona ticket from Too Tight and then we hung out for most of the rest of the time. We had both previously seen The Stones 20 times which was a coincidence. He will now take the lead tonight as he is in Copenhagen, and I'm back home in Scotland. sad smiley. I do however have The Pretenders tonight in Edinburgh to cheer me up. First time to see them.

Special mention to the Irish lads we spent the evening with in the Waterhole (tribute band were superb). And to all the other lovely people we met.

I loved both shows for different reasons. In terms of weather and the general pre-gig atmosphere, Barcelona was fantastic. I had a bit more to drink than I intended but the party feeling outside at the bars made it hard not to! About half way back on the pitch, it was a case of watching the screen. The sound was good and it was a treat to hear Under My Thumb (the very first Stones song I heard live in Edinburgh Playhouse 82). Loved the crowd singing Ole Ole Ole Ole Richards Richards/Rolling Rolling before Keef's set and then at the end. The crowd chanting the Satisfaction riff on way out too.

Re Amsterdam, I was in the pit on Keef's side. The sheer Nearness of You factor comes into play. It just adds to the excitement, plus hearing the riffs coming directly from the stage rather than the PA makes it special. As mentioned previously, band interaction was great to watch, and I had huge smile on my face for most of the time. Apart from when Shine a Light and Slipping Away were played, and tears of joy/emotion ran down my face.

I can't help but to dance, sing, cheer and holler at Stones gigs. Took a few phone photos but nothing like the amount of time other folks spent with phones aloft. Thankfully the people directly around me got into the dancing/grooving/getting into it vibe, and it made for a happy, sweaty bunch of Stoners. A few feet behind me there were some guys standing like statues, not even tapping a toe. Don't know how they do it! A top tip to other Scottish Stones fans who own a kilt - wear it to the gigs like I did. It's nice to get a bit of ventilation when things get really hot! It's also a surefire to strike a up conversations before/after/during the gig.

Re YGMR, I was surprised to hear but LOVED it. In a perfect world, I would have got Dancing With Mr D at one or the other of these shows but you can't have it all I suppose. 6 great days, 2 great gigs, and in Too Tight (Kevin) one great companion!!

I'm sure I saw you outside the stadium after the concert.

I also had a couple behind me who stood still all through the concert, even my Mrs commented about them, probably thought I was a nut case the way I was dancing.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 4, 2017 13:19

Hi folks,

I am planning to go to Arnhem and look for a ticket outside the venue spontaneously at show day.

Anybody knows how the situation was at the AmsterdamArenA? Were there tickets being sold? And if so, was it at or below or above face value? And, was there a box office?

Cheers

dead.flowers

Date: October 4, 2017 13:27

HonkyTonkJan

Was it you who were an expert on canadian accents? winking smiley If so, we had a beer outside the Waterhole.

Sorry, if I'm mistaken here, hehe.

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: October 4, 2017 14:20

I didn't see any scalpers at all outside the Amsterdam ArenaA or the nearby train/metro station. Just looked at secondary site Viagogo and there are at least 100 tickets there...good ones at face value. The price will drop closer to show time but by then the better tkts may have gone !! (this is in reply to dead.flowers question above).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-04 14:23 by carouslambra.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 4, 2017 15:01

carouslambra
I didn't see any scalpers at all outside the Amsterdam ArenaA or the nearby train/metro station. Just looked at secondary site Viagogo and there are at least 100 tickets there...good ones at face value. The price will drop closer to show time but by then the better tkts may have gone !! (this is in reply to dead.flowers question above).

Strangely enough i did not see any ticket touts outside, this must be a first time occasion.

Date: October 4, 2017 15:19

odean73
carouslambra

Strangely enough i did not see any ticket touts outside, this must be a first time occasion.

Correct - me neither.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: October 4, 2017 16:13

DandelionPowderman
HonkyTonkJan

Was it you who were an expert on canadian accents? winking smiley If so, we had a beer outside the Waterhole.

Yes DP that was me you had a beer with smileys with beer. My general rule of thumb with Canadian accents is if it sounds kind of French, the person is probably from Quebec/Montreal region. If they say "Ay" at the end of every sentence, then it's anywhere else in Canada. Is that about right? winking smiley

Enjoyed your company and the band. Especially Sway and Stop Breaking Down.

Slainte from Scotland

Date: October 4, 2017 16:51

smileys with beer

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 4, 2017 23:05

Back in Boston after a great couple of days in Dam. The show is 'out there' now and am listening to Ronnie rock out the end of Rambler as I type. Darn fine show - wish I remembered more of it. Damn Kosher Kush! ;-)

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 5, 2017 00:31

There was at least one ticket seller/scalper outside the stadium in Amsterdam, because he asked me if I was interested in to buy a ticket, but ofcourse I wasn't, but then someone else asked him about it and I walked away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 00:32 by GJV.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 5, 2017 01:10

HonkyTonkJan
DandelionPowderman
HonkyTonkJan

Yes DP that was me you had a beer with smileys with beer. My general rule of thumb with Canadian accents is if it sounds kind of French, the person is probably from Quebec/Montreal region. If they say "Ay" at the end of every sentence, then it's anywhere else in Canada. Is that about right? winking smiley

Enjoyed your company and the band. Especially Sway and Stop Breaking Down.

Slainte from Scotland

I hate you both. grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home