Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20
Re: Amsterdam The Netherlands 30-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: Niek ()
Date: October 2, 2017 19:08

Well, i know it sounds silly but @therollingstones twitter account retweeted my tweet about Keith and it makes me smile!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 2, 2017 19:43

Niek
Well, i know it sounds silly but @therollingstones twitter account retweeted my tweet about Keith and it makes me smile!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It's not silly...it's AWESOME! 3M+ followers...
Keith makes me happy too!
smoking smiley

Niek's Tweet!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 2, 2017 21:30

stevecardi

No more "Dancing With Mr. D"?
sad smiley

Maybe in Copenhagen again .... [iorr.org] .

Date: October 2, 2017 23:03

StonedRambler
Has anybody noticed that Mick sang "time is right for dancing in the street" during the first verse? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yes! And he immediately got a baffled look on his face while doing it grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 23:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 2, 2017 23:07

EasterMan
thrak
I've just seen Shine A light on youtube. God, it's lights years (2000) away from Stripped version. Woody didn't play solo too good, Keith - he was just standing with guitar.

Not true at all. Ronnie's solo on Stripped is a strangled mess. His solo yesterday was excellent and very tasteful. I don't hear much Keith on the studio version either.

Ronnie took breaks and made room for piano fills. It was beautiful.

Keith doesn't play on the studio version, but he played cool short fills in Amsterdam.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 2, 2017 23:18

Very nice and well written review from highly respected dutch music magazine Oor:

[oor.nl]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 2, 2017 23:24

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
thrak
I've just seen Shine A light on youtube. God, it's lights years (2000) away from Stripped version. Woody didn't play solo too good, Keith - he was just standing with guitar.

Not true at all. Ronnie's solo on Stripped is a strangled mess. His solo yesterday was excellent and very tasteful. I don't hear much Keith on the studio version either.

Ronnie took breaks and made room for piano fills. It was beautiful.

Keith doesn't play on the studio version, but he played cool short fills in Amsterdam.

*Thank you for clarifying that, DP.
That close up clip Keith most def. was playing, I could see him looking at Mick and listening, feeling it. I thought it beautiful-- I love that song.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 2, 2017 23:25

In the beginning of SAL Keith looked a bit lost, you could see him figuring out the chords. During the chorus he knew what to play, but during the verse and Ronnie's solos he had no idea. But sliding into that E note always helps grinning smiley
But otherwise great version, tough I really missed an organ. Unfortunately most of the crowd wasn't really impressed with the song...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 2, 2017 23:27

MonkeyMan2000
In the beginning of SAL Keith looked a bit lost, you could see him figuring out the chords. During the chorus he knew what to play, but during the verse and Ronnie's solos he had no idea. But sliding into that E note always helps grinning smiley
But otherwise great version, tough I really missed an organ. Unfortunately most of the crowd wasn't really impressed with the song...

Your opinion differs from mine. That's okay. But it doesn't mean you are correct.

Date: October 2, 2017 23:33

MonkeyMan2000

I missed the "Angels..."-verse as well smiling smiley

It’s not true that Keith was lost, though. But Ronnie played what he used to play (the C/B/Am arpeggios), so he went for the fill-approach on the verses.

Sounds like they had agreed on skipping a verse on beforehand, don't you think? They sounded so on during the transition to the chorus.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 00:05

DandelionPowderman
MonkeyMan2000

I missed the "Angels..."-verse as well smiling smiley

It’s not true that Keith was lost, though. But Ronnie played what he used to play (the C/B/Am arpeggios), so he went for the fill-approach on the verses.

Sounds like they had agreed on skipping a verse on beforehand, don't you think? They sounded so on during the transition to the chorus.

Probably. But I still think Keith wasn't totally sure with the chords (for example that change from G to F). I'm used to him playing country chords with different suspensions on that song. Watch the Raleigh 2015 version, he seems much more comfortable, even playing those lovely major scale licks. But great that they played the song in Amsterdam and overall it was a beautiful version. But I still think there's the potential for it to be even better! smileys with beer

Date: October 3, 2017 00:15

Always potential for improvement smileys with beer

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: October 3, 2017 00:53

Keith seems to be struggling.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 3, 2017 01:02

Bjornulf, nice review. I noticed there you managed to leave the crowd a little early, backing out of the pit, not so possible from the premium standing area.

My regret on that is we missed your usual shots of the final bows, in this case, the last bow featuring Mick and Keith together, Mick actually looking at Keith.

I'm not sure if we saw any of those photos, maybe one. Does anyone have pictures of that last bow? No worries if it's not crystal clear and very close up. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 3, 2017 01:04

IrisC

Wrong thread? No struggling in Amsterdam.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 3, 2017 01:34

IrisC

Bollocks.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 3, 2017 01:43

Kurt
Niek

It's not silly...it's AWESOME! 3M+ followers...
Keith makes me happy too!
smoking smiley

Niek's Tweet!

Awesome indeed! thumbs up

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 3, 2017 01:46

It's funny the fact that some "critical" guys are writing the same phrases (or almost the same) on different threads...

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 3, 2017 01:57

I just watched "Shine a light", I am very impressed by the version, especially by Mick's voice.
Both guitars are very fine to me.
Keith looks like himself winking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 3, 2017 02:34

djgab
I just watched "Shine a light", I am very impressed by the version, especially by Mick's voice.
Both guitars are very fine to me.
Keith looks like himself winking smiley

Great version, is there one better?? thumbs upsmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 3, 2017 02:36

IrisC

thumbs downthumbs down

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: October 3, 2017 04:07

Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

Thanks for this pic! These pillars/screens/motages are epic! They put these to full use...so simple but used so effectively

Posted by: leahoneill ()
Date: October 3, 2017 10:34

On my own in Amsterdam. Really had heard reports that the sound system would not be good... Well, for me, it was great and I managed to be at the rail of gold standing. The Pit people came and went and were only in the centre so no one was in front of me. No cell phones recording...
Now the concert. I had already been standing a long time, from before the opening group, and wondered if I could make it through the entire concert. What was I thinking...The boys came out, I was living in the moment. Lovely people around me,,Germans who would not allow people to slide in from the back..I enjoyed every minute. I know there were errors, but who cares..There are a few songs I have never heard in concert, like Wild Horses, which I would love to hear...but no matter. A lady just behind me announced proudly that this was her 6th Rolling Stones Concert...I did not mention that I know (iorr) who are onto 500 shows. Honestly I haven't counted but started in 1990 so definitely have a few years in. Every time is special, and I love it all. Ready for Stockholm and Paris...my daughter joins be again. It's only Rock n Roll but I like it, I like it..yes I do...Amsterdam, by the way, so easy from Dublin, so easy to get to the concert...excellent public transportation. Thanks again, Bjornulf!!!!

Date: October 3, 2017 11:46

angee
Bjornulf, nice review. I noticed there you managed to leave the crowd a little early, backing out of the pit, not so possible from the premium standing area.

My regret on that is we missed your usual shots of the final bows, in this case, the last bow featuring Mick and Keith together, Mick actually looking at Keith.

I'm not sure if we saw any of those photos, maybe one. Does anyone have pictures of that last bow? No worries if it's not crystal clear and very close up. cool smiley

Yes, I like to see that too. On the last tour in Europe I saw a lot of smiles and huggs between Mick and Keith. In Amsterdam I saw Keith reaching out for Mick three times, handing over the harmonica (2x) and a 'box'. And the final bow.
Could not find it on YouTube or else.

jackflash27
Very nice and well written review from highly respected dutch music magazine

[oor.nl]

Thanks for posting, this connects with my experience too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-03 11:56 by Niek.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 12:33

Yes i noticed at the end that Mick & Keith were together for the final bow.

Know that i am reflecting back on the concert, i am realising what a stunning concert this was.

I saw another side of Amsterdam that i enjoyed, the transport links are one of the best i have experienced and it made my quick stay very enjoyable.

The rest of the tour should be really an enjoyable occasion for everybody going.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 3, 2017 12:38

Back from Amsterdam, my 3rd show there (after the last two shows
of the 5 gigs stint in 1998). I didn´t remember the echoproblem,
as I was standing at the catwalk then. No echo for me in 1998.

Here are my 2 cents:

Now I went there with my 17-year-old son, not even born in 1998.
It was his 4th show and, according to him, it gets better every time.
He told me that I´m far too critical. "You hear things that others
don´t hear!" OK, son. Then just my one cent:

I would compare this show to a football match (against Ajax;.) .
The Stones were behind
1:2 before halftime. They scored with Shine A Light (best version of
the versions I have heard live - right tempo, great vocals and Ronnie
solos), the blues tracks and, believe it or not, YGMR (rehearsed twice
before the show). The crowd response all in all was not too enthusiastic.
Paint It Black was very good, with my son turning round to me showing
me his goosebumps on his arm smiling bouncing smiley They got two goals against them by
falling back to the old pattern (leaving off obscure things like Mr. D
or Play With Fire) and some sound problems (some echoes on the b stage
caused by the monitors (?) disturbed and puzzled Mick a couple of times)
and some small blackouts by the riffmeister.

Then Keith did the halftime show. Both songs are what he is up to now:
Happy to be there, but always in danger to slip away. And he is loved
for that and got a warm reaction.

Then the second half began, Miss You getting the crowd back to life again.
Rambler was the signal: Mick was all over the stage, working his ass off,
Oh-yeah-in´ and whoo-in´. The crowd went nuts and didn´t stop
cheering till the end. And, believe it or not, that was followed by the
loudest, fiercest and best-played warhorse section I have witnessed in
20 years: Keith hammered the riffs, Ronnie was filling things with loud and
distorted licks and Charlie banged the drums like he was 25. My ears
were ringing after that and I was saying "oh man" and "yeah, great"
several times (as I heard on the mp4 later:-) They were louder than the echo grinning smiley

So the final result was 7:2. A great result for that stadium.
Greetings to Andy from Cornwall (Cheers, mate!) and Martin!

Can´t wait for Arnheim with Salar and Thomas M.

And then Paris...

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 13:03

Here is my review of the show in Amsterdam. Some photos are attached bellow and there are more here: [www.flickr.com]

Before the tour was announced I thought I would do two shows. When it got announced in May and I saw the places and the prices, I reduced it to one show and decided to go for Amsterdam, the No Filter Pit being the only option, since if I have to fly for a gig, pay for the hotel and such, I don’t think that watching the show from a 100 m distance would be worth it. Anyway, we know how the pre-sale was, it was literally impossible to get the regular priced No Filter Pit tickets and no way would I pay for those overpriced packages. So I came up with a plan B and bought a ticket for Stockholm, which was rather easy. But two weeks before the show, there appeared some of the regularly (over)priced NFP tickets on the Dutch Ticketmaster and well, all of a sudden I was about to do two shows! Hell, I was so much looking forward to this, seeing a couple of gigs in Amsterdam already, I felt it would be really special and as we know now, it was.

With the No Filter Pit ticket one doesn't have to queue for hours to have a great place, but I still went there quite early and got a great spot in the second row on Keith's side. That's the dream! I had no idea who would be the support band, but after the brilliant Temperance Movement that I saw support The Stones in Berlin and Vienna in 2014, I was confident it would be good. De Staat was something I really wasn’t prepared for. I was tortured, I suffered. Who the hell thought this would be a good opening band for the Stones? I know, it is a matter of taste and very subjective, but I guess it is no brainer that a support act should be at least of the same genre as the main act to please the crowd. This really wasn't the case, in my opinion at least. It felt like being at some very negative aggressive brain washing séance. At one point I started to cover my ears, which made a lady standing next to me worried, asking me whether I had some ear protection, that The Stones would be even louder. I explained her that the level of sound was not the problem... And yeah, the quality of sound was really bad too, but I don't believe a good sound would help much in this case.

Okay, those 45 minutes that felt like two hours were finally over, I was in a really bad mood, but knowing that The Stones would be on stage in like half an hour helped a lot. I was quite worried about the sound, since during De Staat the ArenA lived up to its "Echo Dome" nick name.

The break passes quickly, the Sympathy For The Devil starts and it is ON! The Stones hit the stage, the sound is brilliant, and both the band and the crowd are all smiles. After Keith does a nice solo in Sympathy and smiles at us, we know this show will be grrreat. It's Only Rock’n’Roll, Tumbling Dice, the blues songs and then we get the first surprise - You Got Me Rocking. I know, it is not everybody's favorite, but I really like the song. Then Shine a Light - I have never heard it live in person and it feels really special. So beautiful. I won't go song by song here, I will point out that Honky Tonk Women was particularly good; having Keith right in front of me playing those unforgettable riffs and fills and then the solo was priceless.

It is obvious that the band is having such a great time; there are a lot of smiles between Keith, Ronnie and Charlie. What I noticed was something I first thought was a kind of hostility of Mick towards Keith - first Keith tried to hand him harmonica before I'm Just Your Fool and Mick just passed him by, Keith gave it to him on second try with a broad smile and a bow, which was not acknowledged by Mick at all. Then at the end of Honky Tonk Women Keith tried to fist-bump Mick and from where I stood it looked like Mick tried to avoid him again and at the last moment did kind of a half-gesture, just like if he just realized there were 60.000 people watching and he should do it. Okay, it didn't make me exactly happy. But then came the outro of Street Fighting Man - Mick and Keith clowning, grinning at each other. Such moment makes you happier than if they played whatever obscure song you wish them to play and you know they never will. The previous incidents that looked like hostility were probably down to Mick's concentration on doing his thing and not paying much attention to what was going on around.

Keith's set was great - Happy and as many wrote here before, outstanding Slipping Away. Not really one of my favorites, but this time definitely a highlight of the show. It is so emotional and Keith really sings his heart out on this one. And then the crowd-pleasing warhorses. I have to say I enjoyed them all a lot. I don't see the band that often (this was my 6th show) to get tired of them. Midnight Rambler, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack, Gimme Shelter (yes, the intro was simplified), Satisfaction - I loved them all.

As the final notes of Satisfaction fade away and the band takes the bows, I feel happy, knowing it is not over for me, that I will see them in less than two weeks in Stockholm. I stand there on my spot for the next couple of minutes, taking it all in, talking with the lady next to me about how incredible the band actually is. I mean - I saw them five times before, I know they are "The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band," but knowing their age and reading some of the negative comments here, one starts to feel, like "Okay, let's see them one more time, it will probably be the last chance." Then, when you are actually there, and you are hit in the face with the raw sound of the loud guitars, Charlie's jazzy drumming, Mick's supernatural showmanship and the unique chemistry of this band that no one will ever be able to emulate, you just realize how great they actually are and that there is absolutely no way of comparing them with other bands. They play in their own league. And if the energy of the show was unbelievable when they were 60 or 65, it feels like a miracle now, when they push 75. How do they do it? I have no idea and I don't care. I was there, I saw it and after the gig in Stockholm I can vividly imagine seeing them again somewhere in 3 years and enjoying again The Best Show Ever.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 08:25 by Happy24.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 13:24

Nice review, Happy24.thumbs up

Date: October 3, 2017 13:41

Great review, great pics! thumbs up

Date: October 3, 2017 15:06

And yes, the final bow! Thank you so much!
Great pictures that will make memory's a long lasting life.
Great reviews too.
I am still on a high, so glad to have another two concerts to go.
I had the same problems with 'de Staat' put a shawl on my ears to protect them. Sound with Stones was way better.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2143
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home