Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Covers of Stones songs
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 20, 2017 07:42

Here's the list of Stones covers -- Norton Records

[www.nortonrecords.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tattoogal ()
Date: September 20, 2017 07:43

thanks Rockman , think sounds great ,i like it!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 20, 2017 09:23

Bettye Lavette does a nice rendition of Complicated. Man the Stones should have pulled that one out for this tour

Date: September 20, 2017 09:52

LongBeachArena72
On another thread I made the suggestion that the Stones are covered less frequently and less memorably than their status as songwriters might lead one to expect. I don't know if this is true and can't be bothered to even attempt to quantify it ... but it has always seemed to me that, for example, their peers Dylan and Lennon/McCartney are covered more often and to better result than are Jagger/Richards.

(This is not in any way to diminish The Glimmers as songwriters--they are clearly at or near the top of the heap in rock history as composers.)

One theory advanced in that other thread--not originally by me--was that the performance of Jagger/Richards songs by the band is so distinctive and idiosyncratic that replicating the quality of those versions ... or even digging into the compositions deeply enough to find a possible original variation ... are daunting propositions.

Is this a crock? Are The Stones in fact covered as often and as well as you might expect? Or is there something to this thesis?

I was listening to two wonderful covers this morning, of the same song, "Let's Spend the Night Together":

The Jerry Garcia Band (including the magical Nicky Hopkins), and

David Bowie

Both are "keepers," for very different reasons, of course. The JGB take 18 mins to slinkily unspool the magic of the riff, while DBowie blows the lid off the 60's in 3 hyperkinetic minutes. (The Bowie, for my money, might be the "greatest" of all Stones covers, for its sheer audacity.)

I don't prefer either to the perfection of the Stones' original take on the song; but both do provide fascinating insights into the composition itself.

What are your favorite covers? Do any of them surpass the band's original recording? Are they an 'easy' band to cover relatively well ... or are decent covers few and far between?

Well, I know a bit about this. Especially now, as we're preparing for the gig in Amsterdam.

Stones-tunes are easy to play, but it's VERY hard to make them sound right - or good, for that matter.

Many Beatles and Dylan-songs, for instance, can be played pretty straight-forward - and they'll sound like Beatles and Dylan-songs. If you play Gimmie Shelter straight-forward, in normal tuning, it won't be a good cover.

Paradoxically, KISS is one of the few bands that made a good Stones cover. They are somewhat limited as musicians, albeit with a little charm and idiosyncrasy in their sound. That might be the common ground here to make it work: Most bands love these songs, but they're technically superior as musicians, but they take the bait and play too many notes, often with the wrong sound.

Just my two cents on this. I must add that there is some amazing Stones covers out there, and it's not correct that there aren't many of them.

This one could have been great, for instance, but it's kind of destroyed by it's 80s production:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 09:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 20, 2017 10:23

some excellent stones covers from my favorite new band, the magpie salute. this band is the real deal!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: September 20, 2017 10:28

Here are eight great covers:

Susan Tedeschi: You Got the Silver [www.youtube.com]
Townes van Zandt: Dead Flowers [www.youtube.com]
The Concretes: Miss You [www.youtube.com]
Thelma Houston: Jumpin Jack Flash [www.youtube.com]
Cat Power: Satisfaction [www.youtube.com]
Otis Redding: Satisfaction [www.youtube.com]
Ruth Copeland: Gimme Shelter [www.youtube.com]
MC5: Empty Heart [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 20, 2017 10:56

Ana Moura – Brown Sugar, Fado-style:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 20, 2017 11:37

From reggae legend Ken Boothe - Brown Sugar:
Brown Sugar

And legendary Toots and the Maytalls - Start Me Up
Start Me Up

Date: September 20, 2017 11:39

Little Richard – Brown Sugar

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: September 20, 2017 12:16

Here's about 6.000 listed

[nzentgraf.de]

N

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 20, 2017 13:40

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 22:10

Ohh, man, what great songs! I hadn't heard most of 'em, so thx so much everybody.

Gotta say maybe my fave is Buckwheat's "Beast of Burden;" damn fine playin and singin.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 21, 2017 16:35

Although it's not my favorite Stones tune, I was glad when Treat Her Right (one of my other favorite bands) released this cover of Factory Girl:

[www.youtube.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: September 24, 2017 10:18

[youtu.be]

Paint it black by Sven Hammond. Last week in dutch radio show. Beautiful.

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 24, 2017 10:34

Cristiano Radtke
Bob Dylan - Brown Sugar

One of my all time favorite versions of this song by anybody. for all the great guitar; and for His Bobness kinda half making up mumbling words for half of it; classic!!!!!!!!!!!! just like i kneewwwww u wuuddun....gol sgoat wave she hounds the sally fields hold in the farkin dawn is coming swoon how cumm u danncnnccccc

my favorite part is when hes wondering wheres his seat on the bus for half a verse and doesen't even bother to try to sing....man this is classic....bob ought to do a mini set; angiiiiieeeee annnnnnnnnnig how come you stood for soooodddd angieeeeeee

Date: September 24, 2017 18:48

hopkins
Cristiano Radtke
Bob Dylan - Brown Sugar

One of my all time favorite versions of this song by anybody. for all the great guitar; and for His Bobness kinda half making up mumbling words for half of it; classic!!!!!!!!!!!! just like i kneewwwww u wuuddun....gol sgoat wave she hounds the sally fields hold in the farkin dawn is coming swoon how cumm u danncnnccccc

my favorite part is when hes wondering wheres his seat on the bus for half a verse and doesen't even bother to try to sing....man this is classic....bob ought to do a mini set; angiiiiieeeee annnnnnnnnnig how come you stood for soooodddd angieeeeeee

I vividly remember that tour and saw him christen the newly refurbished Wiltern theater just prior to the Stones playing there. I saw all three shows from down in the pit, and one of the big highlights/surprises was Brown Sugar. I recall many on discussion boards as well as some critics claiming "Dylan and band outdid the Stones at their own game" with his version of Brown Sugar, and hard to argue against that considering the luke warm versions the Stones had been spewing out in the years prior to that. Obviously different vocals lol, but the band was tight...you should have heard him just around midnight! But this was the beginning of the Licks tour, and with many small club/theater performances by the Stones over the next couple of years, they reclaimed the throne as the masters of their own Brown Sugar. Dylan also did a great cover of Neil Young's Old Man at those shows, and while poignant and intense, no comparison to any superior version by Neil himself.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 25, 2017 02:14

Hairball
hopkins
Cristiano Radtke
Bob Dylan - Brown Sugar

I vividly remember that tour and saw him christen the newly refurbished Wiltern theater just prior to the Stones playing there. I saw all three shows from down in the pit, and one of the big highlights/surprises was Brown Sugar. I recall many on discussion boards as well as some critics claiming "Dylan and band outdid the Stones at their own game" with his version of Brown Sugar, and hard to argue against that considering the luke warm versions the Stones had been spewing out in the years prior to that. Obviously different vocals lol, but the band was tight...you should have heard him just around midnight! But this was the beginning of the Licks tour, and with many small club/theater performances by the Stones over the next couple of years, they reclaimed the throne as the masters of their own Brown Sugar. Dylan also did a great cover of Neil Young's Old Man at those shows, and while poignant and intense, no comparison to any superior version by Neil himself.

It would be nice to know what are Mick's impressions about this live version. The first time I heard it I remembered this 1968 interview for Rolling Stone magazine:

What other group ever wrote a song like "19th Nervous Breakdown," or "Mother's Little Helper"?
Well, Bob Dylan.

That's not really the same thing.
Dylan once said, "I could have written 'Satisfaction' but you couldn't have written 'Tamborine Man.'"

He said that to you?
No, to Keith.

What did he mean? He wasn't putting you down was he?
Oh yeah, of course he was. But that was just funny, it was great. That's what he's like. It's true but I'd like to hear Bob Dylan sing "I Can't Get No Satisfaction."

grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2017 02:50

Some more punked out nasaly garageeee stuff ....

Lyres - Stoned
Lyres - Now I've Got A Witness

The Reigning Sound -- I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys

Bob Hocko and The Swamp Rats -- It's Not Easy ........................

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep in The Bunker ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 25, 2017 05:24

Blue Oyster Cult used to cover "It's Not Easy"!

Date: September 25, 2017 16:28

Charlie Sexton – It's Not Easy (with Ronnie Wood - some sources also say Keith)

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: September 25, 2017 17:49

Rockman
....'ere ya go suzie ....Dirtbombs - No Expectations

[www.youtube.com]

Love the Dirtbombs and was gonna suggest this one but you beat me to it. Clever mash up with Sympathy (plus the segue into another well-known tune right at the end).

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 26, 2017 00:34

Cock Sparrer - We love You.
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 26, 2017 08:06

Hairball
I know many can't stand it, but I've always enjoyed the quirkiness and goofiness of Devos Satisfaction.
Being in High school when it was released, and having seen them live at the Santa Monica Civic at the time, could have something to do with it.
They chew it up and spit it all out out resulting in something that's so far from the original there's a certain uniqueness to it that many covers lack.

Exactly. One of the reasons it succeeds is that it keeps the spirit of the song while being a totally different arrangement. In fact I just read a story today from Mark Mothersbaugh who said in 1978 they had to get Jagger's permission. They actually met up with him and played the song! At first he was apprehensive and then got up and started dancing and singing to the song.

The only other great covers I can think of are Otis Redding's Satisfaction, and Johnny Winter's Silver Train, which is better than the Stones version, the only time I can think of that happening. I'm the one who wrote that most covers fail because of the idiosyncratic nature of the Golden Age Stones themselves. It's the performance, in others words the singer, guitars, drums and bass equaling more than the individual parts.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 26, 2017 11:35

Jumpin' Jack Flash + Sympathy For the Devil covered by Motörhead,

released on the 'Under Cöver' Album (1-Sep-2017): iTunes , [www.Amazon.com] .

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 26, 2017 14:22

Concert for Bangladesh!

Leon Russell cum suis play Jumping Jack Flash!

During their last tour in 2013 the Black Crowes covered that particular version of JJF. HERE they open the La Cigale show with JJF.

(God, I miss the Crowes...)

Date: October 25, 2017 23:39

Oh my...just found the Holy Grail of Stones covers from 1969.smiling smiley

George Burns - Satisfaction

Other than being arranged and conducted by Larry Fallon, can't find any musician credits, but sounds a bit like Billy Preston on piano!

Date: October 26, 2017 04:16

The best Stones cover IMO is Alvin Youngblood Hart doing "Moonlight Mile". Because he does it his way. I think the OP has it right: the reason there aren't as many Stones covers as some of the other big writers is because they don't always write songs that can be easily pulled off with an orchestra and a diva. Stones songs are grooves.

[youtu.be]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1179
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home