Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20
Re: Spielberg Austria 16-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 17, 2017 08:10

campxray
Gimme Shelter [www.youtube.com]

pretty good performance here,folks

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 17, 2017 09:00

Lorenz
Just got home and I will definitely never ever attend a gig in Zeltweg again. From ankle-deep mud, not enough toilets, no possibility to pay with credit card to enormous waiting times coming to the gig and leaving (I waited for 2h in the car as nothing was moving on that rotten field) - just all really @#$%& up. Had GA tickets, went outside again and got a pair of seated tickets for 50€ instead of 300+€. So many cheap tickets and still it was completely filled up...

As for the Stones I'm split. On the one hand, there are a couple of guys aged around 75 still playing huge gigs and you have to admire them for that. On the other hand, the songs have slowed down painfully, Keith just can't play anymore. He's fine on the simple Open-G riffs, but everything else is just... He messed up every intro and his playing is so limited now, it needs some fantasy to e.g. recognise the Gimme Shelter riff. Ronnie is carrying the show, guitar-wise. We had a good time, but I just don't want to lie about the state of things.

sad smiley
Sad but true.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 17, 2017 09:38

Hairball

I hope Dean Goodman was at the show - looking forward to his honest review of the show! thumbs up winking smiley

Sorry to disappoint. Happy - to me - didn't stand out as being more chaotic than any of Keith's other senior moments. Obviously Brown Sugar was quite the drama. To my ears, Start Me Up almost fell apart mid-song. But I swear my review is fairly favorable to Keith and everyone else - well, not to the idiot organizers. Congrats to the fans who survived.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 09:48 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: farco ()
Date: September 17, 2017 09:49

Under My Thumb

[youtu.be]

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 17, 2017 10:20

I like the version of UMT. And I think the complaints about "Gimme Shelter" being
"unrecognizable" (?) are extremely exaggerated. Now I'm waiting for other clips.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: September 17, 2017 10:22

DeanGoodman
Hairball

I hope Dean Goodman was at the show - looking forward to his honest review of the show! thumbs up winking smiley

Sorry to disappoint. Happy - to me - didn't stand out as being more chaotic than any of Keith's other senior moments. Obviously Brown Sugar was quite the drama. To my ears, Start Me Up almost fell apart mid-song. But I swear my review is fairly favorable to Keith and everyone else - well, not to the idiot organizers. Congrats to the fans who survived.

Same here. Sounds like a Werchter Park night, LOL.
I will never go to a show again where you should leave after Band Intro in order to get back to your hotel in x hrs.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: September 17, 2017 10:29

Here´s my review:

I was wrong yesterday. I said it wouldn´t be 90000 people and it would not be sold out. I was called a "sofa fan" by bv for that. winking smiley

There were for sure 90000 people there!

Organisation was a bit chaotic. We had to walk to the venue - no busses in Knittelfeld. Afterwards we used a shuttle bus to Knittelfeld and then drove home. We managed to get home shortly after 1:00. So overall even that was ok.

The Highlights were Miss you, Rainbow, Rambler and Slipping away.

I don´t want to call it the negatives because they were really fun to watch but Sympathy (Keith - WTF?). Thumb sounded not good for me. (but much much better on youtube) Everything else was just Rockn Roll.

I thought 2014 would be my last stones show and I got this one yesterday. I like it!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 17, 2017 10:29

campxray

Not bad, yes the guitar part is "simplified" but that's better than the flubbed notes/chords of the 2012/2013 versions.

farco
Under My Thumb

[youtu.be]

Thanks, sounds a lot better than the Hamburg version!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 10:31 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 17, 2017 10:38

Lorenz

As for the Stones I'm split. On the one hand, there are a couple of guys aged around 75 still playing huge gigs and you have to admire them for that. On the other hand, the songs have slowed down painfully, Keith just can't play anymore. He's fine on the simple Open-G riffs, but everything else is just... He messed up every intro and his playing is so limited now, it needs some fantasy to e.g. recognise the Gimme Shelter riff. Ronnie is carrying the show, guitar-wise. We had a good time, but I just don't want to lie about the state of things.

I thought exactly the same after the Hamburg gig, but while walking to our hotel I felt I attended a great concert.

...and I still think it was a great gig (Hamburg that is).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 10:40 by BowieStone.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 17, 2017 10:42

TE

I will never go to a show again where you should leave after Band Intro in order to get back to your hotel in x hrs.

TE
Oslo

Yes, as soon as you get there you're figuring how the hell to get out. I'm surprised I did Spielberg. I assumed Austria would be efficiently handled. It wasn't. You're on your own. Reliance on cars and public transport is pointless. You need a good pair of hiking boots. Thankfully security was lax so there were no lines getting in (YMMV), and then they posted armed commandos along the narrow escape route afterwards for a bit of comedic theater. Looking forward to Swiss efficiency.

PS. A certain person will have more to say about last night's hilarity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 10:48 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 17, 2017 10:51

I'm inclined to sympathise with the band despite the complaints about a shorter set list - these curfews are taken seriously these days. In UK the plug was pulled (was it McCartney and Springsteen together) in Hyde Park?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 17, 2017 10:56

farco
Under My Thumb

[youtu.be]

Thanks! A pleasent surprise. Was expecting something else, but to me this sounds the best modern version I've have heard so far. This isn't karaoke stuff as it was during A BIGGEST BANG, and though it has a typical 'replica to the original' idea in it, it reaches nicely out, adding some natural, different 'aged' charm to it. It is almost guitar-driven (by day's standard), and with that relaxed tempo, it has a certain dark, reflective bluesy charm in it, not far from the classical 69 version. Jagger especially sounds much, much better than during A BIGGEST BANG, now actually using the resources of his natural voice without that Mickey Mouse nasal so annoying sometimes.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 10:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: September 17, 2017 11:00

DeanGoodman
TE

TE
Oslo

Yes, as soon as you get there you're figuring how the hell to get out. I'm surprised I did Spielberg. I assumed Austria would be efficiently handled. It wasn't. You're on your own. Reliance on cars and public transport is pointless. You need a good pair of hiking boots. Thankfully security was lax so there were no lines getting in (YMMV), and then they posted armed commandos along the narrow escape route afterwards for a bit of comedic theater. Looking forward to Swiss efficiency.

PS. A certain person will have more to say about last night's hilarity.

LOL. I just made one mistake in Munich. Leaving the hotel without an address, and ended up with a dead phone. That's cool when you manage to score a cheap hotel 15 min away. Took me 15 min to the stadium, 2 hrs back. My wife still laugh. No SFTD there when I called her in the morning. Well, IORR!

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 17, 2017 11:02

laertisflash
I like the version of UMT. And I think the complaints about "Gimme Shelter" being
"unrecognizable" (?) are extremely exaggerated. Now I'm waiting for other clips.

I agree. I remember "Brown Sugar" at Amsterdam Arena 2003: now, THAT was "unrecognizable"!!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 17, 2017 11:10

farco

Under My Thumb

[youtu.be]

For comparison: 'Under My Thumb' (Pos. 8:52) as Livestream by John Munson on [www.Facebook.com] .

Posted by: kickit ()
Date: September 17, 2017 11:18

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: September 17, 2017 11:57

The audiences these days hardly bring any atmosphere or energy to the party. The band have always fed off that (and vice Versa of course).

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:10

LongBeachArena72
campxray

Uhhh, wow. That rearrangement of the intro at the molecular level is positively ... Dylanesque. This song has always been one of my two favorite Stones studio recordings (along with "Let It Loose"); it's just peak Keith for me. And it has definitely had its ups and downs through the years as a live vehicle. But now? You go to do some serious imaginin' to figure out just what he's playin'!

Uh, yeah, it's open mic night on the Stones tour. OK, there's rock... but where's the roll?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:13

I just watched Start Me Up (i was prepared for the worst). Great version ! Apart from a missed que in the middle of the song, which could either be Mick or Keith's fault. But they pick up great. Lot's of spaces in the song in a good way, great solo by Ronnie, and Mick is excellent again.

This a good version if you ask me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 12:18 by barbabang.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:16

For you who have seen Under My Thumb been played at Spielberg and Hamburg, does Ronnie play the riff or is it Chuck on the keyboard?

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:21

..."under my thumb". ...excellent !!! our Stones are still here...I'am relieved..Thank you

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:23

stonerolling
The audiences these days hardly bring any atmosphere or energy to the party. The band have always fed off that (and vice Versa of course).

Oh, OK, Keith's hiccups are the audience's fault.

They're feeding pretty well on ticket prices, surely they can get some energy off that.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:32

This is how the greatest band on earth will be remembered...Boring setlist, crazy ticketprices and Keith...that mess up every song...Oh, how sad...Some people just don´t know when it´s time to quit...But HEY!!! They are better than ever, right!!!?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:34

stonerolling
The audiences these days hardly bring any atmosphere or energy to the party. ...

True.
Just look at the people who are more into their phones than the show.confused smiley

HMN

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:44

SMU and UMT sound really good. Great SMU intro by Keith!
But I can't find Brown Sugar - anyone?

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:45

Bjorn
This is how the greatest band on earth will be remembered...Boring setlist, crazy ticketprices and Keith...that mess up every song...Oh, how sad...Some people just don´t know when it´s time to quit...But HEY!!! They are better than ever, right!!!?

Bjorn, you are wrong. I have seen every tour since 1995. I think this is a great tour so far and it will only get better. Great sound, great stage, Mick and Ronnie in particular are on fire. They sound 100 percent better than they did 10 years ago in my opinion.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:46

john lomax
Bjorn

Bjorn, you are wrong. I have seen every tour since 1995. I think this is a great tour so far and it will only get better. Great sound, great stage, Mick and Ronnie in particular are on fire. They sound 100 percent better than they did 10 years ago in my opinion.

Although Bjorn I do agree with you that the ticket prices are crazy.....

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: September 17, 2017 12:47

Bjorn

This is the way YOU will remember them.

Date: September 17, 2017 12:53

GeorgV
Bjorn

This is the way YOU will remember them.

I remember a FANTASTIC concert in Hamburg. People were so crazy about the Stones! It was amazing! It's is not a seminar - it's a Rock'n'Roll show. Don't study it to find the mistakes. Or: just don't go and don't check the setlist here.

Date: September 17, 2017 12:54

john lomax
Bjorn

True. The sounds is sharp and well balanced. I remember a ripping JJF in 2014 - too much. 2017 is way better. A new sound guy?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home