Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:01

This entire discussion is ridiculous,people talking about entire tours and even decades as if it was all the same level of playing.each night is different and im sure someone makes a mistake every show.you can't say"this tour was one way that tour was another unless you were at every show and even then you wouldn't remember it all. The worst Rolling Stones show I ever saw was on the 78 tour, it's wasn't just bad or an off night, it sucked.was Keith not playing well in 78?was he off his game in the 70s?
I wonder,how many people knit picking every note we're actually at the show they are carrying on about? I've never seen or heard anyone leaving a Stones show and as they were walking out saying to their friends"did you hear Keith miss a note in the second verse of beast of burden"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:02

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
They seem to add sustain to Keiths guitars like on SFM. He doesnt have to play as much, just hit the right chords on the right beat.

I can tell you that in the park it sounded like he lacked sustain generally, but he might have gotten a little beef from Pierre on SFM. Happy and BS were totally dry. If the tone didn't ring, he had to count bars and wait to play what came next.

He's a purist when it comes to sound, and it surprises me that he avoids distortion when he can.

Yeah I know and youre right, SFM had that extra sustainthumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:09

We don't know that he is drinking and probably should be careful about saying that.
Past abuse, definitely. Not sure about today and not really qualified to comment on that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. And he's got enough issues to dea with even if stone cold sober.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:11

In this clip below when Keith must be acknowledging the crowd and stops playing you hear the importance of Keith, because the sound of the band completely falls to bits without him playing, even for a few seconds. I don't think people realize how much rides on Keith's back musically.

Keith is the come back king, i expect him to improve and he already is improving here in Austria, he is moving more and clearly enjoying himself, but the other three ?? i don't know, it looks like Ronnie in particular has burned himself out already and its all downhill now. He isn't the same Ronnie as the first two show's.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 23:31 by stone4ever.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:33

stone4ever
Not just Keith but Mick, Ronnie and Charlie too.

They're old and the tour is called ''No Filter''. What exactly did you expect?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:40

It’s funny how many different opinions, on the same gig, are expressed. Just saw the comment of stone4ever. But saw also the review written by Dean Goodman, the most austere reviewer here. Dean Goodman has heard - at Spielberg- Keith “creating a massive wall of guitar sound with Ronnie ‘Red Bull’ Wood”. And he also says: « I’m sure they’re not close to hitting all the right notes, but their bone- rattling tones and menacing riffs through the countryside like a series of hurricanes”. Miles away from claims about “lack of energy”, “total mess”, etc.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:42

stone4ever
Been listening to some more of the Austria show and i have to be honest, i'm getting the feeling they might have come out to tread the boards one time too many with this tour.

I know youtube clips are not the right thing to make judgements, but they give you a rough idea. This is a mess. Not just Keith but Mick, Ronnie and Charlie too.

The band need to spend a few of their between gig days rehearsing because something is terribly wrong. Maybe this was just a poor show with Mick, Ronnie and Charlie under par as well as Keith.

I was there.

It was not "a mess".
Something is not "terribly wrong".
This was not a "poor show".

Read the reviews of the people that were there...
IORR REVIEWS OF SPIELBERG

In the immortal words of Keith Richards:
@#$%& OFF!

Date: September 20, 2017 19:47

EasterMan
stone4ever

This is so telling of iorr, just mention Mick or Ronnie having an off night and it gets defensive and nasty instantly.

Its Ok for Ron and Mick to just be old and that's that, but Keith gets 16 pages of bashing just for starters.

Date: September 20, 2017 19:51

laertisflash
It’s funny how many different opinions, on the same gig, are expressed. Just saw the comment of stone4ever. But saw also the review written by Dean Goodman, the most austere reviewer here. Dean Goodman has heard - at Spielberg- Keith “creating a massive wall of guitar sound with Ronnie ‘Red Bull’ Wood”. And he also says: « I’m sure they’re not close to hitting all the right notes, but their bone- rattling tones and menacing riffs through the countryside like a series of hurricanes”. Miles away from claims about “lack of energy”, “total mess”, etc.
The difference is Dean was there and the others are watching you tube "oh my god mick isn't dancing like it's 1972 and Keith flubbed a solo, break up the band!!-it's like people focus on something that didn't go right and then talk themselves into the show being terrible,then you get from the people who were actually there"little rough in some spots but a really good show overall.

Date: September 20, 2017 19:53

Everyone has been bashing Keith with you tube evidence, but the same evidence can't be used on Mick or Ronnie.confused smiley

DP has said over and again that 90 percent of keiths playing was good on the first show, everyone who attended was happy with the show, but still 16 pages of bashing.

Ronnie's solo and playing throughout Dice and SMU was crap . FACT.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:54

stone4ever
EasterMan
stone4ever

This is so telling of iorr, just mention Mick or Ronnie having an off night and it gets defensive and nasty instantly.

Its Ok for Ron and Mick to just be old and that's that, but Keith gets 16 pages of bashing just for starters.
Mick's primary function onstage is to SING, and he still does that at a high level. His stage moves are secondary to that.

You're being disingenuous by trying to claim Mick looks old because he doesn't leap around and dance the way he did even 10 years ago. That's the kind of aging one would expect...playing guitar poorly is a very different thing.

Date: September 20, 2017 19:58

lem motlow
laertisflash
The difference is Dean was there and the others are watching you tube "oh my god mick isn't dancing like it's 1972 and Keith flubbed a solo, break up the band!!-it's like people focus on something that didn't go right and then talk themselves into the show being terrible,then you get from the people who were actually there"little rough in some spots but a really good show overall.

Exactly, lem.

BTW, Riffle, I never hesitate pointing out if something sounds wrong or bad. However, the flubs never really impact the overall experience of a good show.

Looking forward to Amsterdam thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 21:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 20, 2017 20:02

laertisflash

It's also funny that when Dean wrote a subpar review of the Hamburg show you seemed to take issue with it, but now he's written a semi-positive review and you call him the "most austere reviewer here" even using quotes from him to counter someone else's opinion. Yes he's a great writer and reviewer, and I respect all of his opinions and reviews whether I agree with them or not. If he writes another review that you don't fully agree with, will you ignore or discount it?

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 20:07

Mick is not the problem...
Surely not !

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 20, 2017 20:13

Dean pretty much throws in positives and negatives with each review.myself I like BVs. He doesn't give a shit about anything technical and just talks about how much fun a show is and how great it is to see them onstage again.
There is no need for anyone to attack the rest of the band to make Keith look better, for him to still play with those hands in that condition is nothing short of a miracle.
I'd rather see him make a mistake on every song than to have The Rolling Stones employ some lame recorded crap a lot of bands do, even legendary ones.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 20, 2017 20:13

powerage78
Surely not !

Mick is aging gracefully. Moving around less helps his singing. Like a Rainbow and many others songs he has been excellent, imo.
... PS: I thought it was kind of funny after the now infamous BS intro the other night he started walking down the catwalk away. Probably does that anyway, but it looked like he was fleeing the scene. winking smiley

Date: September 20, 2017 20:31

wonderboy
powerage78
Surely not !

Mick is aging gracefully. Moving around less helps his singing. Like a Rainbow and many others songs he has been excellent, imo.
... PS: I thought it was kind of funny after the now infamous BS intro the other night he started walking down the catwalk away. Probably does that anyway, but it looked like he was fleeing the scene. winking smiley
Haha, I noticed that too...I don't think Mick even saw Keith yelling at him.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 20, 2017 21:01

Calm down Hairball. As I see, Dean’s reviews are are a kind of Bible for you, but, don’t worry, I am not “using” him to support a particular opinion of mine, about the gig. Read carefully what I wrote. I just noticed the huge difference between opinions here, taking as example what Dean wrote and what stone4ever wrote, as for the SAME gig. Nothing more, nothing less. And yes, I call Dean the "most austere reviewer here" (did you see any element of offense, as for the characterization? ), because his reviews are indeed subpar or semi- positive, while the others - here on, board’s review page - are positive or enthousiastic. I fully respect him, I fully respect every guy who spends time to share with us his impressions for a gig he attended. And for sure I’m not the guy who divides the reviewers, finding one honest, as if the orhers are dishonest…

Date: September 20, 2017 21:20

No worries laertisflash - was just pointing out some inconsistencies I noticed. When it fits your agenda and works in your favor it's seems ok, but when it's not you seem to disregard it, but nevermind on that.
As for you calling him the "most austere reviewer here" - I read that as a compliment...whether it's positive or negative he call them likes them he sees them! The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 21:53

DandelionPowderman
The shows are worth every penny.

That's the argument in a nutshell, isn't it? They either are worth every penny or they're not. I have a feeling that they are probably still worth every penny to the majority of people who will see them in 2017. I have no idea exactly why most of those people are going, but I believe that most of them will probably exit the show feeling good about the money they spent.

Many times fandom is ahead of the general populace. Fans are usually early adopters, for instance. They then influence other people to get into what they dig. Fans tend to also be the first to detect a decline (since they are fastidious and exacting) and can be harbingers of coming doom. Whether that will prove to be the case with The Stones is one of the many fascinating scenarios that will play themselves out over the next few years.

My guess would be that they could go out several more times and continue to do a pretty damn good job of selling tickets. One wonders, though, particularly with a guy like Jagger, whether they will not one day soon err on the side of caution and, sensing that they are about to implode, decline the paycheck and ride off into the sunset. It's hard to imagine them allowing themselves to be so bad onstage that even the most casual luxury boxer would be able to say "christ, this is bad."

Date: September 20, 2017 22:04

powerage78
Surely not !

No of course Mick is not the problem, i was just trying to emphasize the point that not everything that goes wrong is down to Keith not playing well.
I over emphasize out of frustration.

DP has noticed and explained that various mistakes have been down to Charlie and Mick, not all Keith.

That is all i wanted to point out.

Someone above suggested that Mick is singing to a high level and therefor everything else Mick does is irrelevant.

That's a bit like saying if Keith played well and didn't move an inch the whole show that would be OK. Well not for me , i love Keith's moves, and i don't agree Mick is singing to a level that he did when he was younger, keefriff99. That is giving Mick a terrible injustice, he sang fantastic in 02' 03' to a much greater level than today. The power and passion he puts into this performance below would be impossible for him today.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 20, 2017 22:04

Worth every penny? That depends....

There are many diehards from the past who refuse to see them now for various reasons (the main one seems to be the decline of the performance), so doubt they would think it's worth ever penny.
I'm somewhere in between - while I would never pay the outrageous face value prices they're asking, I would see them again on my own terms by purchasing heavily discounted tickets in which case it might be worth every penny. Even that's not always a guarantee to be satisfied though, as the mini-Vegas show proved. Paid a fraction of face value, yet still felt a bit shortchanged - although Midnight Rambler was a pleasure to witness again.

If the Stones ever come back to California, I wouldn't hesitate to see them...I would just be patient and wait for the massive price drops.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 20, 2017 22:12

Hairball
laertisflash

It's also funny that when Dean wrote a subpar review of the Hamburg show you seemed to take issue with it, but now he's written a semi-positive review and you call him the "most austere reviewer here" even using quotes from him to counter someone else's opinion. Yes he's a great writer and reviewer, and I respect all of his opinions and reviews whether I agree with them or not. If he writes another review that you don't fully agree with, will you ignore or discount it?

thumbs up

Date: September 20, 2017 22:20

Kurt
stone4ever
Been listening to some more of the Austria show and i have to be honest, i'm getting the feeling they might have come out to tread the boards one time too many with this tour.

I know youtube clips are not the right thing to make judgements, but they give you a rough idea. This is a mess. Not just Keith but Mick, Ronnie and Charlie too.

The band need to spend a few of their between gig days rehearsing because something is terribly wrong. Maybe this was just a poor show with Mick, Ronnie and Charlie under par as well as Keith.

I was there.

It was not "a mess".
Something is not "terribly wrong".
This was not a "poor show".

Read the reviews of the people that were there...
IORR REVIEWS OF SPIELBERG

In the immortal words of Keith Richards:
@#$%& OFF!

Nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 23:27 by stone4ever.

Date: September 20, 2017 22:21

stone4ever
powerage78
Surely not !

No of course Mick is not the problem, i was just trying to emphasize the point that not everything that goes wrong is down to Keith not playing well.

DP has noticed and explained that various mistakes have been down to Charlie and Mick, not all Keith.

Someone above suggested that Mick is singing to a high level and therefor everything else Mick does is irrelevant.

That's a bit like saying if Keith played well and didn't move an inch the whole show that would be OK. Well not for me , i love Keith's moves, and i don't agree Mick is singing to a level that he did when he was younger, keefriff99. That is giving Mick a terrible injustice, he sang fantastic in 02' 03' to a much greater level than today. The power and passion he puts into this performance below would be impossible for him today.

[www.youtube.com]
Point to where I said he sings as well as he did when he was younger. You can't, because I never claimed that.

However, I probably could. I'm personally not a fan of his hoarse, out of breath, coked-up yowling from the mide/late '70s, so technically by that standard, I COULD claim he sings better than he did when he was young...but I won't.

He's singing WELL for a 73 year old man. His voice isn't cracking. He's not straining. He's not botching songs constantly. He's performing at an above-competent level relative to his age.

You should stop trying to conflate normal age-related attrition with Keith's decline.

Date: September 20, 2017 22:26

keefriff99
stone4ever
powerage78
Surely not !

[www.youtube.com]
Point to where I said he sings as well as he did when he was younger. You can't, because I never claimed that.

However, I probably could. I'm personally not a fan of his hoarse, out of breath, coked-up yowling from the mide/late '70s, so technically by that standard, I COULD claim he sings better than he did when he was young...but I won't.

He's singing WELL for a 73 year old man. His voice isn't cracking. He's not straining. He's not botching songs constantly. He's performing at an above-competent level relative to his age.

You should stop trying to conflate normal age-related attrition with Keith's decline.

Look the Stones are charging top dollar at the box office, i can criticize the band if i see fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 23:23 by stone4ever.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 22:32

Good thing Sinatra didn’t have a message board like this in his later days.

Date: September 20, 2017 22:33

You should be watching/listening to the show stone4ever - possibly the best yet of the tour proving you were right...it takes time for Keith (and all of them) to get in the groove!

*But can't be sure about all of this as I'm not there in person...winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 22:34 by Hairball.

Date: September 20, 2017 22:35

Lol, you're completely flipping the script. You yelled at us for pages and pages for criticizing Keith, and now you're going after the entire band.

The difference is that your criticism of Mick is unreasonable. I don't expect him to perform as athletically as he did 10-15 years ago. I still think he's in phenomenal shape, but I've tempered my expectations given that he's 73.

However, I DO think it's reasonable to expect Keith and Ronnie to not screw up Brown Sugar and Start Me Up after they've played those @#$%& songs 2000-3000 times over the decades.

Date: September 20, 2017 22:36

stone4ever
keefriff99
stone4ever
powerage78
Surely not !

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 23:45 by stone4ever.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2282
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home