Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 27, 2017 11:39

When you see the DVD of Spielberg you'll be seeking forgiveness

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 27, 2017 11:43

RoughJusticeOnYa
retired_dog
Hairball
Redhotcarpet
Rokyfan
MisterDDDD
That's some cr@p..
Wonder if there was some post that aggravated the moderator that we are unaware of. Short of repeated violations/ warnings, this seems quite unjust.

he was pretty consistently critical of the Stones' current skills/output, and in an articulate fashion. Undoubtedly that sort of thing offends the sensibilities of some who disagree with him and they complained and the mod said enough is enough. He was never out of line or abusive. But these days it can be considered abusive to express an opinion that offends. Not having people point out the obvious decline helps those who want to ignore it do so. So there it is.

Safe space complaining. A despicable way of getting rid of critical viewpoints.

Truly ridiculous.

It's as if he's been censored out of existence due to some tender hearted Stones fans which is bizarre to say the least. I imagine if enough of the offended and sensitive fans reported his posts (or maybe it was one crybaby who repeatedly reported him ), then they can now cheerlead and bask in all of their overzealous and unrealistic visions of the band. Hope they're happy with the bubble they're creating. No opposing views allowed...psshh.thumbs down

In the long run, only the cheerleaders survive... like in the real world.

Must say I completely agree with these posts -

Earlier today police found the bullet-riddled body of LongBeachArena72 in the bargain bin of Tower Records underneath a pile of heavily discounted Stones albums from the 80s and 90s. Word on the street is that he was assassinated by a hit squad funded by b.v. and Keith Richards.

Some type of punitive action was inevitable since by claiming not to recognize what intro Keith was playing in Munich he was clearly being a contentious mood-spoiler who moreover remained unimpressed even when Sir Dandelion provided him with ample proof that Keith occasionally knew what song he was supposed to be playing. I’m not sure I would’ve found it necessary to kill the man but it was a judgement call and of course we must respect b.v.’s decision...on with the show and all that, eh? The reputation of the band we worship is all that matters. Who’s meeting for pints in Amsterdam?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 27, 2017 11:52

Do I understand correctly that it's possible to complain about someone behind his back to get him kicked off the forum? That's hard to believe. What kind of person would do a thing like that?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 27, 2017 12:01

I've seen two gigs on this tour so far, Spielberg and Lucca. Something that we have already seen at the last tour, becomes even more apparent now: Ronnie is on great form and working his ass off to cover for Keith.

Keith clearly has issues and they can't be hidden anymore - not even to the average concert goer. The guitars are high in the mix, especially Keith is really loud for those songs where his riffs are especially important. There are severe issues with both timing and with everything that requires his fingers to move a bit. A lot of the simpler open-g chords still work really well. Intros are a problem and a lot have been simplified (Gimme Shelter).

Solos became mostly impossible for him beyond the very simplistic pentatonic blues solos - we are down to (out of key) one note bends. What works still really well are the blues numbers...Basically, in many songs it appears that Keith's role is to throw out a few signature riffs on loud volume. It's a very reduced role and the loudness and Ronnie compensate for it.

As I said, some songs still work really well - even better than long before. I'm sure it also depends on the particular day and how his fingers feel... Sympathy as an opener is a showcase for those issues unfortunately and plenty of other songs like Tumbling Dice (intro), Gimme Shelter (intro) or YCAGWYW (riffing too simplistic and harsh), partly HTW etc rely on Keith's intros and are thus often really shake and weird sounding at the beginning. It gets better once they find into the groove and Ronnie can weigh in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 12:04 by Lorenz.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 27, 2017 12:15

matxil
Do I understand correctly that it's possible to complain about someone behind his back to get him kicked off the forum? That's hard to believe. What kind of person would do a thing like that?

This is how people get deactivated. I got deactivated a few weeks ago for this reason.

I just wonder if its possible for our moderator to reconsider his decision on Longbeach. For those of us that enjoy Longbeach posts, and think that he means no harm to any of us on iorr with his cynical dynamics and humorous sarcastic posts.

Possibly this has been a misunderstanding, Longbeach has been consistently supportive of Mick Jagger on his solo thread and on Micks solo single GGAG thread.

Ok rightfully or wrongfully Longbeach is cynical about the sound of the band in recent years and has his point of view. I think it is fair and justified that LB can speak his mind among us. Only a few posters appear to take offence.

I will really miss him if he doesn't come back, this place will miss him for sure, he is unique, a one off and irreplaceable.

I have never seen this many people disappointed by someone unable to post on iorr, it's quite touching actually.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 27, 2017 12:15

Lorenz
As I said, some songs still work really well - even better than long before. I'm sure it also depends on the particular day and how his fingers feel... Sympathy as an opener is a showcase for those issues unfortunately and plenty of other songs like Tumbling Dice (intro), Gimme Shelter (intro) or YCAGWYW (riffing too simplistic and harsh), partly HTW etc rely on Keith's intros and are thus often really shake and weird sounding at the beginning. It gets better once they find into the groove and Ronnie can weigh in.

I wouldn't mind if Ronnie played both the intros and solos to Honky Tonk Women and Gimme Shelter. In Sympathy For The Devil it's clear that Keith has problem with the timing in the chorus, it just doesn't sound right, also Gimme Shelter suffers from inconsistent timing sometimes.

But it's also true that many songs are still great. For instance Start Me Up in Lucca was the best version I've heard since 2007.

Date: September 27, 2017 12:24

TheBlockbuster
Lorenz

I wouldn't mind if Ronnie played both the intros and solos to Honky Tonk Women and Gimme Shelter. In Sympathy For The Devil it's clear that Keith has problem with the timing in the chorus, it just doesn't sound right, also Gimme Shelter suffers from inconsistent timing sometimes.

But it's also true that many songs are still great. For instance Start Me Up in Lucca was the best version I've heard since 2007.

It won't sound the same, and it doesn't matter if it's played better, if Ronnie does the intros, imo. It's both the sound, the depth, the attack and the feel.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 27, 2017 12:34

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
Lorenz

It won't sound the same, and it doesn't matter if it's played better, if Ronnie does the intros, imo. It's both the sound, the depth, the attack and the feel.

Different doesn't always mean worse, I mean it's still Charlie behind the drums and Mick on vocals, it will sound like Stones. And I'm sure Ronnie could throw away his pick for the HTW intro if he wanted to. But yea it would feel a bit odd indeed.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 27, 2017 12:37

stone4ever
powerage78
I remain silent about Keith and his playing, wishing to stay on IORR grinning smiley

LOl if people got banned for bashing Keith there would be five of us left here to post hehe

Even i have to admit it, Keith is a shadow of the man he used to be as a player and performer, but not quite as bad as some make out.

Thats what got Longbeach banned.

Date: September 27, 2017 12:40

Redhotcarpet
stone4ever
powerage78
I remain silent about Keith and his playing, wishing to stay on IORR grinning smiley

LOl if people got banned for bashing Keith there would be five of us left here to post hehe

Even i have to admit it, Keith is a shadow of the man he used to be as a player and performer, but not quite as bad as some make out.

Really, is that true?

Date: September 27, 2017 13:11

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
Lorenz

Different doesn't always mean worse, I mean it's still Charlie behind the drums and Mick on vocals, it will sound like Stones. And I'm sure Ronnie could throw away his pick for the HTW intro if he wanted to. But yea it would feel a bit odd indeed.

Not sure about that..

Date: September 27, 2017 13:12

Redhotcarpet
stone4ever
powerage78

About 50 posters have entered this thread and said similar things about Keith.. Keith has been getting bashed since 06' on iorr. Its not the negative things that are said about keith that upset me, he has declined, we all see it, it can't be hidden, but its the exaggeration of his decline that comes across as unfair.
Haters love to exaggerate the negativity surrounding Keith.
Longbeach just says it how he see's it, he doesn't hate keith, he just feels disappointed in his playing these days, and also disappointed in the way the whole band play.

Maybe i have missed something, i don't think he said something really bad, i feel very confused about all this.

Date: September 27, 2017 13:16

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
Lorenz

Not sure about that..

thumbs up I don't want to pay £400 to hear Ronnie play keith's solo's or anything else, Ronnie is doing all he can already to bridge the gap left by keith's arthritus. I don't want to see the humiliation of Keith standing there while Ronnie plays Keiths solo's. I would rather stay at home thank you very much.
Ronnie playing HTW was worse than Keith's worse attempt.
Those are Keith's solo's and he can play them how he wishes.
Its not up for grabs, Keiths solo's are not for sale to Ronnie or anyone else, they are Keith's, with keith's moves and smiles and essence.

Keith IS getting better this tour, that is a fact.
OK i'm going to leave this thread for a while, the negativity on here is just too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 13:25 by stone4ever.

Date: September 27, 2017 13:21

Yeah I think we are at a point where reasonably Ronnie can't take over even more - it would leave Keith without a purpose. It would change the songs to something else, especially if Ronnie plays in standard tuning. Many of the iconic Stones songs are based on Keith's opening riffs and that cannot be covered up any more. It has been simplified as much as possible - but no one can fix it if Keith's fingers "lock up".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 13:23 by Lorenz.

Date: September 27, 2017 13:31

It's way better to pick songs where everybody functions well.

Mr D, Play With Fire, the blues numbers. They all sound excellent.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 27, 2017 13:38

DandelionPowderman

I'm enjoying the 'slow it on down', just saying

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 27, 2017 13:42

What happened to the Zurich show? Funny how reports were that Keith was fine and finding his groove, blah blah. Man I wish I could be in Barcelona tonight.....

Date: September 27, 2017 13:53

Maindefender
What happened to the Zurich show? Funny how reports were that Keith was fine and finding his groove, blah blah. Man I wish I could be in Barcelona tonight.....

It doesn't matter how well keith played the last two shows , some just want to focus on the negative, they dismiss that he is improving and playing his heart out, they don't want to know about the positives.
He is moving well, getting low down and pulling out the keef moves, i am loving what he is doing with his limitations.

Can't wait to see my hero in Paris along with the rest of the boys.smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 13:59 by stone4ever.

Date: September 27, 2017 14:01

DandelionPowderman

Absolutely. Also Let's Spend The Night Together, Like A Rolling Stone...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 27, 2017 14:26

OK, so now that I've seen my first NF show (Lucca), I am qualified to add my two cents to this thread.

Well, in my not very humble opinion, Keith was absolutely superb! No words.

Decline "this dick", as we would say here in Italy!

His guitar playing is different nowadays, but it still delivers loads of emotions. It is refined and complex as ever. Don't mistake simplicity for not knowing or being able to do better.

You can see that he means every single note he plays.

What a guitarist, what an artist!

C

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: September 27, 2017 14:27

To be honest I have thought the Stones sounded a bit flat on recordings and film since Voodoo Lounge tour and especially on youtube videos recorded by the audience. I remember a lot of people knocking the sound on ABB tour but I have to say it sounds completely different when you are there in person. Last show for me was Rome on the 14 on Fire tour and Hyde Park the year before and I think there's no comparison to the sound when you're actually there compared to listening to or watching a recording. Keith has always screwed up from time to time and so has Ronnie but for me it just adds to their charm. Let's not forget since Steel Wheels tour and up until 50 and counting they were backed by loads of "sidemen" like Blondie Chaplin and I think that may of detracted from the "Stones sound" a bit and now they've stripped back the personnel it is taking some people a long time to adjust. I mean some of the 69 tour shows were so ramshackle and full of mistakes but still sound great!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 14:30 by Nasty Habits.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 27, 2017 14:34

stone4ever
Redhotcarpet
stone4ever
powerage78

About 50 posters have entered this thread and said similar things about Keith.. Keith has been getting bashed since 06' on iorr. Its not the negative things that are said about keith that upset me, he has declined, we all see it, it can't be hidden, but its the exaggeration of his decline that comes across as unfair.
Haters love to exaggerate the negativity surrounding Keith.
Longbeach just says it how he see's it, he doesn't hate keith, he just feels disappointed in his playing these days, and also disappointed in the way the whole band play.

Maybe i have missed something, i don't think he said something really bad, i feel very confused about all this.

I know he doesnt hate Keith Richards, why would he. He didnt bash him, he offered a critical view.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 27, 2017 15:28

Keith was never perfect, he did some horrible solos on SFTD already in 1989. He played out of key on Satisfaction several shows in 1998. Nowadays he seems to hit shattering bum notes every show. I just listened to SFTD from the 2012 pay-per-view and his solo was good, he seemed to have much more control over his playing just 5 years ago. I'm sure he could play just as good now if he put in some effort.

Date: September 27, 2017 15:38

RaiseTheKnife
Keith was never perfect, he did some horrible solos on SFTD already in 1989. He played out of key on Satisfaction several shows in 1998. Nowadays he seems to hit shattering bum notes every show. I just listened to SFTD from the 2012 pay-per-view and his solo was good, he seemed to have much more control over his playing just 5 years ago. I'm sure he could play just as good now if he put in some effort.

Not only are you sure, you have seen it smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 27, 2017 16:04

DandelionPowderman
Not only are you sure, you have seen it smiling smiley

It's a good solo no doubt, just wish he could play like that the whole show. Still can't get into that dreadful slow tempo though.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 27, 2017 16:21

I think some people on this thread are too emotionally attached to this idea that Keith is still a great guitar player or at least still has flashes of guitar player brilliance and they can't let go. At this point the magnetism and the charisma and musicianship of the Stones on stage is a spent force, and Keith leads the way for that. In the old days the raw Stones energy was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Not to mention that we were younger and more impressionable. The Stones dominated the stage and gave a great show. And I will say it again. This time round the stage, the lighting, and the sound dominate the Stones. It's more like a sound and light show than it is seeing the Rolling Stones give a concert.

I realize that it might feel different if you are actually there, and your age is a factor too. But you don't sense an audience reaction in my opinion. It's interesting because for me in the original Brussels Affair/Bed Spring Symphony recording, the audience presence is so strong when yo listen to it. You can sense the rush in the air and that they are "peaking" for the whole show!

Date: September 27, 2017 16:30

<
I think some people on this thread are too emotionally attached to this idea that Keith is still a great guitar player or at least still has flashes of guitar player brilliance and they can't let go>

Why should they let go if they like it?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 27, 2017 16:31

midimannz
When you see the DVD of Spielberg you'll be seeking forgiveness
thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 27, 2017 16:59

liddas
...His guitar playing is different nowadays, but it still delivers loads of emotions. ....

C

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: September 27, 2017 17:19

Spud
liddas
...His guitar playing is different nowadays, but it still delivers loads of emotions. ....

C

thumbs upthumbs up
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home